Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!

Brettbot posted:

I mean, I've played with guys who are too good for the league before, but at least they usually don't shoot and set people up instead...

Those stats looked.... familiar.

I played the Winter season in Nashua, and #1 wasn't anywhere near that ridiculous then. The summer session tends to get the younger/college aged sandbaggers, so I skipped it and am playing inline in Gardner instead. I'm mixed on whether I join HA again in the fall, or just stick with pick-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

GP035 posted:

Those stats looked.... familiar.

I played the Winter season in Nashua, and #1 wasn't anywhere near that ridiculous then. The summer session tends to get the younger/college aged sandbaggers, so I skipped it and am playing inline in Gardner instead. I'm mixed on whether I join HA again in the fall, or just stick with pick-up.

Well, I've only played 2 games in Hooksett (in one night because there's only 3 teams), but it felt WAY different to Nashua. After 10 years :stare: in Nashua, I rarely ever touched the puck during games and thought I just sucked. Last night I was all over the place, stealing pucks, getting breakaways, having time and space to puckhandle... and that's with almost a year off the ice, remember. I couldn't tell you for sure because they didn't track stats before, but Nashua certainly FELT that bad, to me at least.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I did some backwards crossovers weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

RC Cola posted:

I did some backwards crossovers weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

How are you learning to skate so drat fast?! Or are you re-learning?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm going 4~ times a week? Also I keep watching the better people do things.

My backwards crossover was bad. Going backwards to the left. But once it clicked I could do the motion. Only a couple of times in a row and I almost fall over and have to stop. But progress!

I want to try rollerblading sometime too. Increase how often I'm gliding around on my feet

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Fingat posted:

HA! I found it!. I wasn't sure if I still had the link. Although how-to hockey was great for me back then too, this one goes back even farther:

Whole vid is great but the part with the stepping starts at 2:15 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUaVGu7drs

Cool, never seen this one before and I like the technique!

I think I'm at 15 months without hockey and it just sucks. Still not sure if I'll ever get back to it - the pandemic has messed up my brain too much. Although I did get on a plane last week which I wasn't able to do last September!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

a mysterious cloak posted:

Cool, never seen this one before and I like the technique!

I think I'm at 15 months without hockey and it just sucks. Still not sure if I'll ever get back to it - the pandemic has messed up my brain too much. Although I did get on a plane last week which I wasn't able to do last September!

The pandemic messed up my brain real bad too and forcing myself to go back to hockey has made me feel 1000x better.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

No one even says anything about my mask which is cool.

Also more skating today. Got better at backwards crossovers(still awful). And did some 1 leg skating squats which are really loving hard on my knees. Skating is fun. I'll stick and puck sometime next week yay!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We have some people playing in masks and no one says poo poo. I'm just happy they're playing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Time to skate again! Sorry if I'm making GBS threads up the thread with this, but it's helping motivate me to keep going. I had a figure skater comment that she noticed I've improved over the month or so I've been skating which was nice to hear.

Anything involving turning to the right is so much harder for me. I really need to work on it more, but it's hard when we skating in a counter clockwise circle most of the time

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok I skated for an hour and forty five minutes today. My knees are jelly. There was a guy who clearly has been skating hockey since he was 2. Watching him helped me figure out some faster turning. Usually while turning I have 99% of my weight on the outside skate. Putting more on the inside skate let me turn faster and more confidently.

I also can balance on each single leg and carve to the left of right a bit. I'm getting better and it rules. By the time I start a learn to play hockey class in a month hopefully I can be learning some stick stuff. I really need to practice with the stick more often, but I feel like that'll come quickly and skating is really the thing I should focus on.

Oh! And I was able to balance on 1 leg going backwards for a little bit. It's much harder. Backwards crossovers to the left are slightly better and still awful. Forwards crossovers to the right are still hard, but I'm getting more comfortable on the outside edge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One drill a coach loved to throw at us adult learners was one foot glides, going backwards. Say you're doing inside edges, carve a 180 arc on one skate then swap to the other one (basically a crossover) and do 180 the other way. The one that really hosed everyone up was doing it on outside edges but man it boosted confidence once we got it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Finished our 3rd game in two days. Need to get the beer drinking game back in shape. Nice after a few months that our team still syncs up so well.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

prom candy posted:

We have some people playing in masks and no one says poo poo. I'm just happy they're playing.

I don't really care what anybody thinks, it's just the huffing and puffing around the brain dead people who still think covid is fake, vaccines are really tracking implants, etc. I've made it this far with getting covid, even after working exclusively with covid patients for like 18 months, so I'm not sure hockey is worth it for me at this point.

Edited to not come off as a dick.

I wouldn't care if people thought I was weird for wearing a mask on the ice, it's more me worrying about everyone else not wearing one and catching it from them.

Time and more therapy will tell. Hockey will be there when I'm ready.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 17, 2022

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

no one cares about anyones position on covid

play, don’t, doesn’t matter eat arbys

now mouthguards making visors safe, there’s a topic we haven’t revisited in a while

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

I don't really care what anybody thinks, it's just the huffing and puffing around the brain dead people who still think covid is fake, vaccines are really tracking implants, etc. I've made it this far with getting covid, even after working exclusively with covid patients for like 18 months, so I'm not sure hockey is worth it for me at this point.

Time and more therapy will tell. Hockey will be there when I'm ready.

I haven't been playing because I don't wanna catch covid and I miss it terribly. I don't think it's being crazy to not wanna catch a novel virus where it's still unclear what effects that will have on your long term health.

That said I agree with Sellouts just do whatever you feel is the right choice for you and that goes for everyone.

You might also look into like ball hockey. Some areas have outdoor ball hockey groups and it's allegedly harder to catch covid outside so that can be a safer outlet for hockey. I've done it off and on since the pandemic started since there's a group around where I live that does that.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I think I came across as being judgy about people who are playing hockey now - definitely not my intent! I'm glad you guys are having fun playing - I meant to say that I don't care if other people give me weird looks because I'm wearing a mask or something, not that I don't care what you guys think about covid or anything like that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone ever order the meat mountain from Arby’s?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
no judgement to anyone who doesn't feel safe playing hockey, i get it. I got COVID from playing hockey along with a bunch of the people I play with. everyone has their own level of risk tolerance.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone ever order the meat mountain from Arby’s?

that does not fit within my level of risk tolerance.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm not sure I've ever had covid but I do know I've gotten wildly sick twice so far this year with not-covid that I caught in the lockerroom. Fortunately(?) that's just something that happens from socializing so my brain doesn't spend too much time thinking about it.

I went to two sessions last week where a hockey tech startup strapped sensors to my feet and tracked stride count and intensity during an icetime, it was neat. The data shows I used my right foot way more than my left, which could be my tendency or could be because I was on left defense and that's just how the flow of the game goes (turning towards the boards, or pushing people outside on the rush, etc.). Cool stuff!

This week I have 3 hockey games and 1 lern2goal session over the next 4 days and it's gonna rule. Thanks, summer league that kept shuffling the divisions and now has to cram a bunch of rescheduled games in!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm a data nerd, so the data from those sensors sounds neat, but another way to tell me I'm bad at hockey.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

More ice time yay! I really should work on stick handling some day though

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm a data nerd, so the data from those sensors sounds neat, but another way to tell me I'm bad at hockey.

Yep!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The data is only useful to me if everyone on the ice has them too so in the locker room after the game when the boys are trash talking bad plays I can whip out the projector and replay the sequence frame by frame to justify my decisions.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah everyone was sensor'd up, but I think the software is still pretty new so they're still working on what exactly they can pull from the data (as well as making sure it like, actually tracks what they want when they want and such).

I'm waiting for the stats graph from Saturday's practice (with a real coach, it was cool) to see how it differs from a game. The game was me getting turnstiled by much better players so I'm curious to see how the intensity compares to a practice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I can say I never want to play 5 games in 3 days. I'm sore as hell, but we did end up winning our division. Three of my teammates brought their campers so we had a nice tailgating setup. I also had heartburn for pretty much 2 days straight.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My team used to go to the CAHA tournament in San Jose every April and do the same. We'd corral the trailers and have a weekend of drinking, bad hockey, and a lot more drinking. It was fun as hell. The women's team my wife used to play on would also do the same, so we'd all party together. We always had to enter the beginner division since every single team sandbagged that tournament so incredibly hard. Even in that division, we'd go up against teams who had been playing travel their whole life, if not way higher. It was also fun actually watching the upper division games. They're so loving fast.

There's always chatter of trying to go back, but more of us have small kids now, so it never materializes. Maybe one of these days when we're all 50.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
My wife and daughter want to come to the next tournament. We talked about renting an RV as well and forming an even larger group.

The average age for our team is 50 something. I felt bad because we played the same division last year and had some tight games. This year we were hitting on all cylinders and had no trouble until the final where the team brought in some ringers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone here sharpening with a wheel sharpener?

I use a tri light holder and I think I have it dialed in but my blackstone bat gauge has a little play in it. Should it? I really don’t want uneven edges or to make them worse

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I skated again today. Backwards crossovers that move me backwards to the left are getting better. I can do a few in a row and not fall now, and when I lose my balance I can transition to forward skating. Still super bad at the other direction though.
I worked on right turning forward crossovers a lot today and just backwards skating in general. My backwards balance is a little better.
I'm going to do stick an puck saturday and see how my public skate sessions have helped me since last time. I assume a decent amount.

What is a good way to practice with a stick and puck outside? I have a street puck, but I'm not really sure what to work on. Just back and forth and get used to the motion? I don't have a net or anything to shoot at

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best I've found is a hard ball. "Swedish handling ball" is a pretty common option but any pro shop will probably have something similar near the cash register.. mine is a hard yellow plastic ball. Weighs the same as a puck. Use it on the slipperiest floor you got.. garage floor, hardwood floors if you're feeling brave. It feels pretty good compared to ice. I suggest taping the stick so there's nothing on the bottom edge, tape on a non ice surface feels weird.

For drills just handle it and make sure to rotate through 4/5 different points in front of you.. off to the left, in front of you, and off to the right. A common mistakes is resting your top hand close to the body.. be mindful of that and make sure your elbow is away from the body. Practice toe drags too, it's good for working wrist rotation.

Shooting off ice I am really down on. There's zillions of stories out there of all the NHL snipers that spent entire weekends shooting pucks in their basement so it must work, but I set up my own shooting pad during pandemic lockdown and shot 100 pucks a day for most of a year. I got happier with my shot.. but when I got back on the ice it was a disaster. It took me almost two full days to get used to the slickness of the ice again, I couldn't shoot at all.

I guess the moral of the story is if you do build an at-home setup, make sure to balance it with on ice work too. There is no surface you can buy that is close enough to ice.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Did you lubricate your shooting pad? Spraying pledge on it works fine.

I tell lots of families that shooting on plastic is a lot easier than on ice because it’s less slippery so it’s easier to load the stick but if you do it wrong it won’t transfer.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

RC Cola posted:

I skated again today. Backwards crossovers that move me backwards to the left are getting better. I can do a few in a row and not fall now, and when I lose my balance I can transition to forward skating. Still super bad at the other direction though.
I worked on right turning forward crossovers a lot today and just backwards skating in general. My backwards balance is a little better.
I'm going to do stick an puck saturday and see how my public skate sessions have helped me since last time. I assume a decent amount.

What is a good way to practice with a stick and puck outside? I have a street puck, but I'm not really sure what to work on. Just back and forth and get used to the motion? I don't have a net or anything to shoot at

Get a beater stick because practicing on concrete will wear down the blade of your stick. You can also get some sort of surface to stick handle on. HDPE plastic used to be pretty recommended. A sheet of melamine is also pretty slick.

I like practicing with balls because they move quicker than a puck does on the same concrete surface. They never slide as good as a puck on ice though. Green Biscuits slide pretty well on smooth concrete once they're worn in a bit. Don't shoot them though, although they do now make a green biscuit meant for shooting but I don't feel like it slides as well. If you have sport court nearby, Pro Shot roller hockey pucks work really well. Keep in mind they're lighter than ice pucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chemmy posted:

Did you lubricate your shooting pad? Spraying pledge on it works fine.

I used silicone lubricant instead, but yeah. It felt fine when I was at home but it was like I had never shot a puck before when I finally got back on the ice.

Verman posted:

Don't shoot them though, although they do now make a green biscuit meant for shooting but I don't feel like it slides as well.

Nope, the green biscuit snipe is horrible for puckhandling. It's made of a puck-like rubber and clings too much.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
It’s a strange feeling being in net for a team that plays a defensive system so well that we basically have about 60% as many goals against as the next best team in that regard. Oh, we’re +23 with one fewer game played. I’m leading the league GAA by almost 2.

I’m used to getting my brains beaten in and losing.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

YeehawMcKickass posted:

It’s a strange feeling being in net for a team that plays a defensive system so well that we basically have about 60% as many goals against as the next best team in that regard. Oh, we’re +23 with one fewer game played. I’m leading the league GAA by almost 2.

I’m used to getting my brains beaten in and losing.

Yeah I usually play high level pick up, so every once in awhile when we play a league game where guys actually block shots and have a D partner that they know and depend on with a system, it's really quite alarming how different it is.

Also, the guys that I play with constantly know all my weaknesses to exploit.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

xzzy posted:

The best I've found is a hard ball. "Swedish handling ball" is a pretty common option but any pro shop will probably have something similar near the cash register.. mine is a hard yellow plastic ball. Weighs the same as a puck. Use it on the slipperiest floor you got.. garage floor, hardwood floors if you're feeling brave. It feels pretty good compared to ice. I suggest taping the stick so there's nothing on the bottom edge, tape on a non ice surface feels weird.
That's what I use, one of those yellow handling balls in my basement. I usually set up some pucks to handle through for little drills. I actually have a pretty small basement but even handling through 6 or 7 pucks had made pretty good improvement in my handling game. I don't remember the brand or anything but I'm sure they are all pretty similar. It's pretty durable too. I don't shoot with it but I will use it to pass against the basement walls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did a test pass once with mine and it put a hole in the box so I don't do that anymore.

Doesn't matter once it's off my stick anyways, it's up to the guy I sent it towards to make sense of the mess.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Game #6 in the last 9 days update:

The ice was so loving bad at the rink that the attendant was walking around taking photos to get the previous group banned, I guess. Just some absolutely horrendous divots and gouges.

Trying to transition near the bluelines was a sure way to put an edge into a pock mark and eat absolute poo poo. My hip and wrist are sore from my own tumbles.

We had a sub goalie who played out of his mind and dragged us to a 3-3 w/shootout tie, our first non-loss since the start of June. For a league that has shuffled divisions 3 times this summer it sure sucks being the team that falls into the cracks of the general skill levels of everybody else, but the parking lot beers make it worthwhile.

Tomorrow's 7:00PM game has 6 skaters and a goalie signed up so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Getting better at balancing backwards. Backwards crossovers are getting easier. I have weak baby wrists so I'm doing some wrist work. Man they are so weak. I should look into that.

Gonna do a stick and puck on Saturday yay!