Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Hooray. Memorial weekend hockey tourney in Scottsdale. Probably going to get beat handily but I'm just glad I was able to make it.

Wish me luck

Ohh and I got a Warrior Widow, first time I've tried a warrior stick but it feels nice, also it's the perfect height without adding a butt end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nice sale on those Eagle gloves.

I'm still trying to find straight-up yellow gloves, but haven't had any luck in about 6 months of looking. It seems my only option is to do the custom Warrior thing, but I can't justify dropping $240 on gloves :(

How big are your hands?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EAGLE-X3-YOUTH-...b#ht_1018wt_905

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I bought a shooting pad, a goal, and ten pucks this week for like 200 bucks shipped. I'm gonna spend my whole summer at home shooting every day to try to get better.

gotta get to that gladwell 10000000000 hours or whatever it is so i can go pro

Do the Matt Duchene Shootout Challenge.

I'd love to have a setup so I could try this out.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

bigmike posted:

This thing would be cake, I have a setup in my backyard as previously mentioned and I try to do at least 100 shots a day, usually more like 150-200

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I wish I'd found this thread a year ago.

Luckily, a friend of mine was/is very knowledgeable about hockey, and most of what he said goes along with the OP.

I skate when I can in the Baltimore area, and play stick'n'puck in a rink between Baltimore and DC. I've put off buying shin guards, and obviously, regret it. I was going to just get a cheapo pair off of IceWarehouse.com, unless anyone can recommend a good middle of the road model.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Lawnie posted:

I bought a shooting pad, a goal, and ten pucks this week for like 200 bucks shipped. I'm gonna spend my whole summer at home shooting every day to try to get better.

gotta get to that gladwell 10000000000 hours or whatever it is so i can go pro

Whoa whered you get all that for just 200 shipped? That sounds like an awesome deal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

How big are your hands?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EAGLE-X3-YOUTH-...b#ht_1018wt_905

I saw those last night. They're perfect, but sadly, I take a 13 or 14" :smith:

Playoff Beard
Feb 25, 2006

We'll miss you, Stevie Y.
In the last 10 years, my area has gone from having a rink 10 minutes away, to having a rink an hour away, to having the closest rink almost two hours away. So, this thread has become my vicarious hockey player fix. Thanks, goons!

:(

RIP local minor league teams!

Playoff Beard fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 27, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My holders cracked so I got me some new ones:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Surfing Turtle posted:

Whoa whered you get all that for just 200 shipped? That sounds like an awesome deal.

I got it all through https://www.howtohockey.com. They link to a website called hockeyshot.com but there's a coupon for $10 off a $100 order on howtohockey.

I went out back and took about 200 shots today. I took a video of about twenty of them and I think my shot looks really, really bad. Gonna upload it to youtube then post it here for serious criticism.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

bigmike posted:

Thank you for posting this and I am DEFINITELY going to do it. :)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

My holders cracked so I got me some new ones:

Were the original holders black?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Ohh god here it is. Have a look-see and tell me how to improve everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngX9Fye3ujs

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Were the original holders black?

Yeah

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Are you wanting to work more on your wrist shot or your snap shot? If you want to shoot off that left foot, you need to bend the knee more. That'll put the puck farther forward but help you load the stick with your weight, thus generating a more powerful shot.

get those legs bent, and put your weight down on that stick.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 28, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah, it doesn't look like you're weighting the stick at all or rolling your wrists over on the followthrough
http://howtohockey.com/how-to-take-a-wrist-shot

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Lawnie posted:

As has been said, need some weight put into that shot. Get some anger behind it. I recommend listening to Iron Maiden while you are shooting, seriously. The only other thing wrong is that you don't have that red wheelbarrow in net as the goalie/loud thing to hit with pucks :colbert:. You are drat consistent with your shot though, same spot almost every time.

I thought you had a new avatar made for you also? Am I crazy? Thought it was a Vince Vaugh or something equally as hilarious.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

WouldDesk posted:

As has been said, need some weight put into that shot. Get some anger behind it. I recommend listening to Iron Maiden while you are shooting, seriously. The only other thing wrong is that you don't have that red wheelbarrow in net as the goalie/loud thing to hit with pucks :colbert:. You are drat consistent with your shot though, same spot almost every time.

I thought you had a new avatar made for you also? Am I crazy? Thought it was a Vince Vaugh or something equally as hilarious.

I forgot I had an avatar bet with someone, so I'm waiting on something. I have one waiting in the wings involving john scott loling at luongo

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Lawnie posted:

You're currently standing facing the goal. While that might be a position you find yourself in while on the ice, it's not great for getting the mechanics down. Stand facing the puck, side to the goal. Start with your weight on your back foot, bend your knees, and shift your weight from back to front as you make the shot.

It also looks like you're starting with the puck in the center of your blade. Move the puck to the heel of the blade to start the shot and slide it towards the toe with your shooting motion. Combined with the wrist-roll follow through others have mentioned, that will give the puck some rotation and help it lie flat in flight.

A good way to think about the follow-through motion is that you should finish with the toe of your blade pointing to where you want the puck to go.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, everything sounds like such obvious advice but I never thought to make a mental checklist for each shot instead of just flinging the puck. It worked for my golf swing, should work for this.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Lawnie posted:

Honestly, everything sounds like such obvious advice but I never thought to make a mental checklist for each shot instead of just flinging the puck. It worked for my golf swing, should work for this.

First time I swung a driver the guy who was trying to teach me said, "just think of it as a slapshot!" I sliced it at about a 45° angle into the woods on the other side of the adjacent fairway.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Lawnie posted:

You're trying to put the oomph into your shot too soon. If the puck starts behind your feet, the first part of your shot needs to move it up so it's in front of your feet. The way you're shooting, the blade is releasing off the board as soon as you start to shoot.

Try to keep your hands out in front of your stick blade while you're pulling the puck forward to your feet. At some point, this will require you to flex your stick, so, you know, flex your stick. If your hands are in front of your stick blade, the blade is naturally going to point down towards the ice/board, so that's another thing to think about that could help your technique.

At some point, your blade is going to have to sweep forward and the blade is going to release off the ice. This is where the most power comes from because that's when the stick starts to unflex. You want this to happen at or in front of your feet. This should come naturally, though. It will be difficult to try and focus on this unless you're practicing slowly.

You then have to follow through, with your stick pointing at your target. This is another area to focus on.

In summary, I think that if you focus on 1. keeping your hands out front/blade pointed down for as long as possible and 2. following through so that your stick points at your target, everything else (hands wise) will sort of fall into place. Then you just have to practice over and over again.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1HUUJxZtJU&feature=related. Don't worry about anything else, just watch how his hands stay in front and how he follows through with his stick pointing forward. I think that this naturally leads to the release of the stick (and thus the beginning of stick unflexing) ahead of the feet.

Helpful in shifting your weight is to start with your back knee bent. In order to shift your weight, you will want your front knee bent, sort of pulling the rest of your body forward. You can straighten your back knee, but I think it's more common to just drag the leg or pick it up off the ice.

Personally, though, I think getting the right hand motion is really the key for beginners. Rolling your wrists over and shifting your weight are great hints and will help to refine your shot, but most beginners have bigger problems with their shot than not rolling their wrists or poor weight transfer and shouldn't focus on these things just yet.

Last hint: Nobody wearing skinny jeans has ever had a good shot. :smug:

EDIT: Also real important is to turn your feet so you're facing the puck. Forgot about that.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
This sounds fun:

IRONMAN
OVERNIGHT ADULT HOCKEY
TOURNAMENT

Saturday, June 25
10pm-6am

3 v 3 cross ice
NEW! 3 skill divisions
20 minute running time games
7 game guarantee
$350 per team
$75 individual registration*
6 skater + 1 goalie max
Complimentary t-shirt for all surivors

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lawnie posted:

At like 1:10 of this thing Kovalev does exactly what you're doing: you're scooping it to get it of the ground, more of a flip than a shot.

Also for the guys looking for longer sticks, this might be an option for you. I saw a tall guy using this last time I skated and he swore by it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

This sounds fun:

IRONMAN
OVERNIGHT ADULT HOCKEY
TOURNAMENT

Ya, my teammates do these all the time, they LOVE them!

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

bewbies posted:

Also for the guys looking for longer sticks, this might be an option for you. I saw a tall guy using this last time I skated and he swore by it.

Yeah that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

D C posted:

Hooray. Memorial weekend hockey tourney in Scottsdale. Probably going to get beat handily but I'm just glad I was able to make it.

Wish me luck

Ohh and I got a Warrior Widow, first time I've tried a warrior stick but it feels nice, also it's the perfect height without adding a butt end.

That's why there is no ice time in Phoenix this weekend. How is that tournament anyway?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
i decided to do one of these too. i never realized until watching it back that when on feet i kick my front leg out before almost every shot for some reason. also im not wearing socks. deal with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUe6J1PyJgM&hd=1

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Green Submarine posted:

First time I swung a driver the guy who was trying to teach me said, "just think of it as a slapshot!" I sliced it at about a 45° angle into the woods on the other side of the adjacent fairway.

Your first swing was on a course?! I'm surprised you ever wanted to play golf again, lol.

I'm convinced that golf is the number one reason that adult hockey newcomers are more comfortable facing their dominant side instead of handling with their dominant hand. Maybe pro hockey players are terrible at golf for the same reason, reversed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

runoverbobby posted:

Your first swing was on a course?! I'm surprised you ever wanted to play golf again, lol.

I'm convinced that golf is the number one reason that adult hockey newcomers are more comfortable facing their dominant side instead of handling with their dominant hand. Maybe pro hockey players are terrible at golf for the same reason, reversed.

Most Pro hockey players are pretty amazing at golf from what I've heard. It probably has little to do with hockey and more to do with the fact that to be a pro anything you have to be a pretty phenomenal athlete though.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I had a rough day at pickup hockey. First I was racing for a puck and fell and went legs-first into the boards at almost full speed. My left knee hurt and I thought I had hosed it up but it felt fine after walking around on the bench for a little bit. Then, like my 2nd shift after that I caught a puck in the maybe 1 inch between my shinpads and skate, which loving hurts and is swollen.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

runoverbobby posted:

I didn't!

Odd circumstances for a first crack at it, I know. I was tagging along as my cousin took his daughters to play a few holes and they had me swing at a couple.

Evil Mother Teresa
Sep 16, 2007

D C posted:

Wish me luck

Godspeed.

Care to provide any more insight on the Widow? I want to grab one, but have been debating dropping to an 85 flex. Probably due to reading too many threads on ModSquad detailing how "you should only use a flex that's half your body weight otherwise you develop poor technique blah blah blah shop only at your LHS". I've been playing a hundred flex, but every time I try one of my older 75/77 flexes I feel like I'm going to snap the stick in half when I try taking a slapper & I notice no improvement on my wrister/snapper. The fact that I stand a lanky 6'/160 pounds makes me think that maybe I'm just being a stubborn douche by playing a stiffer flex. I've heard the Widow plays a little whippier than its flex rating, so maybe it's the best of both worlds.

Thufir posted:

Then, like my 2nd shift after that I caught a puck in the maybe 1 inch between my shinpads and skate, which loving hurts and is swollen.

Tuck your skate tongues under your shin pads. Maybe look into getting shins an inch larger. But the tuck does make a difference. Last time I caught a puck there was the last time I played with my tongues out. It was a sweet looking bruise, though.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Vigilance posted:

Most Pro hockey players are pretty amazing at golf from what I've heard.

I dunno man...this is anecdotal evidence, but I've seen a LOT of Ducks and ex-Ducks play golf and most of them were super bad. Ilya Bryzgalov and Corey Perry probably shoot in the 130-150 range. Tiny little Todd Marchant is a scratch golfer though, dude can drive 320+.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

runoverbobby posted:

I dunno man...this is anecdotal evidence, but I've seen a LOT of Ducks and ex-Ducks play golf and most of them were super bad. Ilya Bryzgalov and Corey Perry probably shoot in the 130-150 range. Tiny little Todd Marchant is a scratch golfer though, dude can drive 320+.

That's only because they can't pick fights with the ball when they start to lose.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Evil Mother Teresa posted:

Tuck your skate tongues under your shin pads. Maybe look into getting shins an inch larger. But the tuck does make a difference. Last time I caught a puck there was the last time I played with my tongues out. It was a sweet looking bruise, though.
I dunno why but for some reason every time I play with the tongues tucked something rubs on my ankle and I get a blister. Probably do need to look into some new shinguards.

edit: I'm thinking it hit the tongue which is pretty thin on vapor x:20 skates, maybe my x:40s would have protected better. Can't wait to get them repaired.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 30, 2011

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Hey guys. I forget when I mentioned, but during Christmas I got a pair of skates. First skates I've had since I was 12. Also, first time skating since 12. So during January and February when I could, I would go skate with a few buddies at the local outdoor rinks.

I went from barely being able to move to pretty proficiently skating around now. I can pick up some speed and coast around in circles and do regular movement things. I can't stop well or do crossovers or skate backwards yet though. I'm hoping to get at least stopping and crossovers down before the summer is over so I can go be a winger.

Now though, I talked with some friends and come classes again in September we're going to join the university falculty league. Basically it's a beer/rec league where you play with your faculty against other falculties with two divisions. Obviously, I'm going to be in the lovely division. But the challenge is getting my skating up to par to be able to play in the league come September. I'm an ontario native, so obviously I have 10000 hours of street hockey under my belt, so things like stick handling aren't that big of an issue for me, despite never really playing puck.

However, I'm having a difficult time learning to stop! I've gone out about 4 times now with the intent to learn how to stop and I haven't been able to get good at it yet. I can sometimes stop, sometimes I turn in a circle, sometimes I slam into the boards.

I've looked at the websites, and I think I'm improving but I don't know the time frame for how fast I should expect to be able to hockey stop on either foot.

How long should I expect to take before I can stop? :confused:

On another matter. My parents bought me the skates and I'm worried they are too big. They're size 12 and I wear between a size 11 and a size 12 shoe depending on brand. For my running shoes, which I had properly fitted and are tight, they're only a size 11. There's a lot of room at the toe, but I don't really have lots of extra cash to spend for equipment unless it's absolutely necessary. Also the skates are lovely. They're basically a no name walmart brand lol. "Hesperler Rogues"

Also, you guys with the outdoor boards, how much does one of those cost? I would like to work on picking corners and my slapper in my backyard if possible :)

And I remember there's a goon from burlington in SAS. Want to help me become a better skater lol at Appleby Arena hahaha?

So yeah, help me play the hockey!

Alizee fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 30, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Your skates sound too big.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Alizee posted:

How long should I expect to take before I can stop? :confused:

This varies hugely from person to person, and typically it's one of those things where you can't, you can't, you can't, then you wake up one morning and you can. It's not really something that can be taught effectively with instruction; you just need to fall down a lot. Best way to shorten the time frame would be to invest in some pants, or a low-profile roller girdle if you're worried about looking dorky at open skate, so you can take more risks and fall down more.

But yeah, just dedicate ten minutes to just stopping practice every time you go out, and eventually you'll just get it.

Chances are you'll be able to do it on one side before the other, and that side is likely to remain dominant for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I see a lot of people try to kind of jump into their stops or do a really quick turn when they're learning, which doesn't really work. Starting out try more to slide into it. Do you know how to snowplow stop? Start doing that and then turn your hips while you're doing it.