Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Surfing Turtle posted:

I use really small pads/pants anyway. I figured I would just slip my elbow pads and kneepads inside my pants to save some space. I don't mind hanging my helmet outside the bag. Do you think that one would work? I wasn't trying to spend too much but they make it sound like half my poo poo wont even fit.

I have an older version of this and everything fit but it was a tight fit

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=CXBP

It seems like for you situation playing tetris with your gear would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
One of the captain's in my lower level inline league always complains to everyone about trying to get teams to not use ringers in our league. He sent out an email right before the season saying he was removing the ones from his team, everyone should do the same, etc. I think their team had 5-6 ringers when we played them in the season opener last night.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

dms666 posted:

One of the captain's in my lower level inline league always complains to everyone about trying to get teams to not use ringers in our league. He sent out an email right before the season saying he was removing the ones from his team, everyone should do the same, etc. I think their team had 5-6 ringers when we played them in the season opener last night.

Clever strategy

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

poser posted:

I have an older version of this and everything fit but it was a tight fit

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=CXBP

It seems like for you situation playing tetris with your gear would be worth it.

Hm the one I want to get is slightly smaller. Did you get everything in that bag, helmet included?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hm the one I want to get is slightly smaller. Did you get everything in that bag, helmet included?

Everything fits but its tight

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

Everything fits but its tight

Oh man I am ordering this then. I wasn't even expecting it all to fit so if I have to keep the helmet outside I can deal. I probably looked weird trying to get through the turn style with my duffel and my sticks.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I don't get the hatred for ringers some people have. The games don't really mean anything and while a team chock-full of them can be pretty lame, I have a couple of friends of mine that play on the low level teams with me that could easily play up higher but they'd rather play with their friends than play on a higher level team with strangers. It's not always about dominating easy competition

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

toxicsunset posted:

I don't get the hatred for ringers some people have. The games don't really mean anything and while a team chock-full of them can be pretty lame, I have a couple of friends of mine that play on the low level teams with me that could easily play up higher but they'd rather play with their friends than play on a higher level team with strangers. It's not always about dominating easy competition

My feelings are kind of mixed on ringers. As a goalie, it's more interesting to face better shooters and I can totally understand someone wanting to play with their friends. That being said, it is annoying when you face a team taht is deadset on winning the beer league championship and all of a sudden you notice a lot of players that you've never seen before. I guess that my preference is that if you have a ringer, then always have them on your team, but if they magically appear down the stretch or during the playoffs, then it's a lovely thing to do. Try to keep your league as balanced as possible, so that it's fun for everyone.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

My feelings are kind of mixed on ringers. As a goalie, it's more interesting to face better shooters and I can totally understand someone wanting to play with their friends. That being said, it is annoying when you face a team taht is deadset on winning the beer league championship and all of a sudden you notice a lot of players that you've never seen before. I guess that my preference is that if you have a ringer, then always have them on your team, but if they magically appear down the stretch or during the playoffs, then it's a lovely thing to do. Try to keep your league as balanced as possible, so that it's fun for everyone.

Totally agree with this. If you're gonna have ringers at least have them part of the team the whole way. I hate seeing new guys appear the second the playoffs start.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

toxicsunset posted:

Yeah I have no problem with a team having 1 or 2 people that are better than everyone, but when you have 4-5 of them and it really isnt even fun to play against them anymore when you have no chance at doing anything against them.

That team also went 1-9 last season, but once playoffs rolled around, they were in the finals and one goal away from winning it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aniki posted:

This is how my league was won last season.

Once the playoffs started, they brought a bunch of their players from the "A" team a league above. Most of them never played a game in my scrub league. Even during the championship they swapped out players from the bleachers between periods. One guy gets a hatty in the third to win it all. Retarded.

Apparently it wasn't the first time they did it either and I'm fully expecting it to happen again when the playoffs start in a month or so.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather play with a bunch of ringers than not play at all.

loving toe.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is how my league was won last season.

Once the playoffs started, they brought a bunch of their players from the "A" team a league above. Most of them never played a game in my scrub league. Even during the championship they swapped out players from the bleachers between periods. One guy gets a hatty in the third to win it all. Retarded.

Apparently it wasn't the first time they did it either and I'm fully expecting it to happen again when the playoffs start in a month or so.

I don't get why the league allows this. Every league I play in forces players to play a minimum of about a third to half of the season to be eligible for playoffs. There's also restrictions on having players from higher divisions.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

bigmike posted:

I don't get why the league allows this. Every league I play in forces players to play a minimum of about a third to half of the season to be eligible for playoffs. There's also restrictions on having players from higher divisions.

Yeah mine is like this too. About halfway through the season they do a roll call and whoever is put down as the 16+goalie(maximum allowed) names on the team then are the only 16 players eligible to play for the team in the playoffs. You can swap in subs all you want for the 10 regular season games tho

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
My league requires you to sign in before each game and play 6 games to be eligible for the playoffs. A lot of the ringers "play" their 6 games but somehow never score and then light it up during the playoffs.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
In all my leagues the ringers just sign in as other people. No one's IDing.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

ManicJason posted:

In all my leagues the ringers just sign in as other people. No one's IDing.
That's the one plus of playing hockey in an area that doesn't have a ton of people playing. Once you've been playing a while you know who the ringers are and no one can really get away with signing in as someone else.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Just an FYI to those in the Detroit area, Perani's usual warehouse clearance sale is the 21st to the 31st at the Farmington Hills Ice Arena (Newburgh/Halsted and 8 Mile-ish). Really really good deals on pretty much everthing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm taking off work early next week to go to the Preds equipment sale. Hopefully new jerseys + lots of players leaving will mean tons of stuff for sale.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thufir posted:

I'm taking off work early next week to go to the Preds equipment sale. Hopefully new jerseys + lots of players leaving will mean tons of stuff for sale.

Will they be selling Shea Weber's beard?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Will they be selling Shea Weber's beard?

Season ticket holders probably get the first shot at it :negative:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Season ticket holders probably get the first shot at it :negative:

Do you think you could pick some stuff up for me? I will pay for them + shipping?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

Do you think you could pick some stuff up for me? I will pay for them + shipping?

Sure, what are you looking for?

edit: I've never been to the sale so I have no idea what they're likely to have.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

edit: I've never been to the sale so I have no idea what they're likely to have.
Lots of pants, gloves, skates and sticks.

If you could find a pair of 14 Bauer 4Roll gloves I wouldn't mind having another pair and I'll gladly pay for them + shipping as well.

I'm actually trying to find a new helmet but I have a feeling they don't have them at the end of season sales and they're much harder to figure the sizing of.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm hoping it will be like Calgary's

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Thufir posted:

Jesus. I've never caught onto the team sales before, Im curious if Chicago does this.

Nope, since the Hawks resurgence, they host their annual Blackhawks Convention and auction the gear off there. Apparently the proceeds go to charity. Bastards.

**edit** Dammit, neither do the Chicago Wolves who also auction their stuff off for charity. Everyone is forgetting the big picture here, my performance boost.

Verman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 8, 2011

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
poo poo, I didn't even know the NHL teams did this. Although, it doesn't help that the last time we had an NHL team was in 1996 when none of the stuff would have fit me anyway.

I played a game last night and we only had two subs. One sub didn't show up until the second period, so for the whole first period we only had one sub. The other team had three full lines of skaters. We were actually winning until the third period when they scored a flukey pinball deflection goal. We were pretty happy to take the tie all things considered. They must have been pissed.

Our goalie stood on his head which really helped too, and we all play defense really well. But, gently caress, my legs are sore today.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Just looking for socks and possibly gloves..

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Jock strap, please.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Jock strap, please.

Get Webers and wear it around as a mask.

I would love going to one of those equipment sales. Never been to one. :(

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Thufir posted:

Man that is so awesome. I regret ditching the Leafs sale a month or so ago :(

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Thufir posted:

What are the prices like here? Set price or auction? And would a n item here be more or less than "in-store- prostock." Curious of these mystery auctions I hear about :iiam:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

WouldDesk posted:

What are the prices like here? Set price or auction? And would a n item here be more or less than "in-store- prostock." Curious of these mystery auctions I hear about :iiam:

No idea, I've never been to one. I think it varies by team, some don't do it at all, some auction. There's a couple threads about team sales at Mod Squad Hockey.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Are there any skate laces on the market that either have a metal sleeve at the end of the lace or at least has a plastic sleeve that doesn't break after a couple of weeks? I've just been using the standard waxed A&R (?) laces and I'm sick of the sleeve breaking and rendering the laces useless.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Aniki posted:

Are there any skate laces on the market that either have a metal sleeve at the end of the lace or at least has a plastic sleeve that doesn't break after a couple of weeks? I've just been using the standard waxed A&R (?) laces and I'm sick of the sleeve breaking and rendering the laces useless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evcsj1gx1CE

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

Do you pull your laces out completely? I haven't had any sleeves AGLETS on the end of my laces for years because I trim my laces to fit, but I leave enough slack to loosen my skates without actually pulling them through any holes.

I also cut the end into a trapezoid and melt the frayed tip so in the odd case where I do pull them through they're pretty easy to put back in.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Do you pull your laces out completely? I haven't had any sleeves AGLETS on the end of my laces for years because I trim my laces to fit, but I leave enough slack to loosen my skates without actually pulling them through any holes.

I also cut the end into a trapezoid and melt the frayed tip so in the odd case where I do pull them through they're pretty easy to put back in.

I looked up the word last week, but aglet had already fled from my vocabulary. :( I usually pull the laces out from the first two rows of eyelets and then thread them through when I put my skates back on. I'll try cutting the end and see if I can thread them through again. I normally haven't had problems with this, but I've killed two sets of laces in the past few months and my set before that lasted well over a year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hint: If you melt your laces, don't let the hot plastic drip onto your finger :downs:

This ought to be common sense but I was picking plastic bits out of an open wound for the next hour after I did it.

Hooray :downs:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Hint: If you melt your laces, don't let the hot plastic drip onto your finger :downs:

This ought to be common sense but I was picking plastic bits out of an open wound for the next hour after I did it.

Hooray :downs:

I may just get new laces and try not to gently caress them up this time. I just don't trust myself with things like fire and molten plastic. I'd be such a terrible junkie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009