Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

poser posted:

How the gently caress do I respond to this:

That sucks.

Just let him know his role, be honest and don't bull poo poo him. It is hockey after all. If he sucks at center, let him know he has room to improve or try giving him a chance if you haven't already. Explain to him (if this is the case) that when you are new to a team, you're the low guy on the totem pole and you play whatever is available. If he doesn't like the way the team runs its not the teams problem, its his and if he doesn't like it, he should look elsewhere next season.

One thing I've realized with suspensions, if the team or captain isn't willing to defend the call or suspension, they probably think that the person deserved the call. I've played with hot heads who always think they're the innocent victim of penalties though they are throwing elbows, punches and open ice hits. Nobody is going to defend you if you have no case to defend. If you feel like he was wronged, then try to ask the league about the suspension if you want just to clear it up. Most times its zero tolerance and they just suspend both players involved for safety sake. Its probably not worth trying to undo it, but maybe to clear things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

poser posted:

How the gently caress do I respond to this:

Mike,

Just letting you know that you're suspended for the game on Saturday..

poser

-------

words

Mike,
Sorry you feel that way man, maybe the fit just isn't right. Good luck next session!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

So, to refresh...

Gio posted:

On that note, I'm currently rehabbing a knee injury...of sorts. It's been really sore for a couple days after every time I skate for a few months now, and my range of motion on the ice has been limited a bit--mostly due to apprehension than anything else, I think. It's not so much soreness as it is a "tweak" in the knee. In other words, it depends on how I move the knee, what kind of pressure is put on the knee etc. that makes it hurt.

ANYWAYS, long story short, had an MRI, turns out there is no tissue damage BUT my whatever-the-hell-the-kneecap-aligns-with is shallow so the kneecap goes from side to side outside of its "groove". My doctor ended up recommending this workout facility (that he goes to)--it's in a warehouse and looks like a training facility--that costs a decent amount of money ($125/month) for as many guided group workouts a week I want. Because I honestly don't have a clue how to workout myself, I've started doing that to help strengthen those muscles around the kneecap--or whatever the hell!--so that I don't have this problem anymore.

I've worked out there a couple times already and it's pretty awesome, but...they wanted me to sign a contract with my credit card number and bank account number on there. I told the guy who runs the place, I'm not going to sign anything of the sort but I'd love to be there, and he--very quickly--said I could pay cash. I mean, awesome, but I'm kind of insulted you tried to get me to sign it in the first place? Kinda shady, but I'm smart enough to avoid the pitfalls. As long as I'm not on the books with any contract and paying out of pocket, I feel I'll get my monies worth.

The workouts there are intense. The intro workout, for example, is 500m rowing, 40 squats, 30 situps, 20 pushups, and 10 pullups as fast as you can. (My best is 5:40 after a couple tries. And I can't do 10 pullups, especially after 20 pushups and 500m rowing, so they have this rubber strap of sorts that you slot your foot into that helps you.) Their other workouts--at least the ones I've done and watched, involves a lot of olympic style lifting. For example, another one of the intro workouts I did was 5 sets of overhead squats (link) and in between each set you run I'd say a fifth of a mile. Again, as fast as you can.

My biggest problem is that...I've never really worked out properly (though I never knew I wasn't) and as a result don't have a lot of flexibility, so I'm fighting my muscles more than I am the weight on the bar. And I kinda pulled a muscle in my back, so now I have to take it easy for a few days (or more) so I don't have a problem other than the one I already have with my knee. :smith:

Gio fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 15, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

My biggest problem is that...I've never really worked out properly (though I never knew I wasn't) and as a result don't have a lot of flexibility, so I'm fighting my muscles more than I am the weight on the bar. And I kinda pulled a muscle in my back, so now I have to take it easy for a few days (or more) so I don't have a problem other than the one I already have with my knee. :smith:

I recently started paying for a personal trainer at my gym.. paying through the nose, but he's completely changed how I exercise and after only one month I'm feeling better.

It's amazing how long I'd been doing what was apparently totally wrong.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah, seriously. Just doing an air squat and staying in that squat position (with your rear end below your knees, knees pointed outwards, and weight on the heels) for more than a few seconds loving kills because my groin muscles are so drat tight.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
So my buddy and our star player is going to miss 4 out of 6 remaining games in the season. He has 8 goals. Our team has scored 13. We're so hosed

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Has anyone played at Yerba Buena in SF? I just moved here and it's amazing having a rink on the same block - in London we have to travel for hours to get to rinks.

Also has anyone in SF got a full set of gear I can buy/borrow for cheap?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Zurich posted:

Has anyone played at Yerba Buena in SF? I just moved here and it's amazing having a rink on the same block - in London we have to travel for hours to get to rinks.

They only have 3 divisions and all the games seem to be tue/wed

http://www.sportability.com/spx/Leagues/Client.asp?ClientID=130

I think people cross the bridge and play here:
http://www.oaklandice.com/index2.html

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

Zurich posted:

Now that I've been taking classes for a few months in Oakland I hope to play in a league at Yerba Buena, but it kind of sucks because it seems like less of a big community (from what I can tell by the number of leagues/teams, and the fact that they use a 3rd party to run their leagues). Oakland's beginner league is also Sunday evenings which is pretty much the most ideal timeslot I can think of.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Hay real_scud and poser: there were pretty slim glove/helmet pickings at the Preds equipment sale by the time I got in so I didn't get any (some dude just beat me to the only new gloves left, Joel Ward X:60s for $50). Poser: I did get a new set of home and away socks at $5/pair but I realized when I got home they're "XL+" and pretty huge. Anyway, they're yours if you want them.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Hay real_scud and poser: there were pretty slim glove/helmet pickings at the Preds equipment sale by the time I got in so I didn't get any (some dude just beat me to the only new gloves left, Joel Ward X:60s for $50). Poser: I did get a new set of home and away socks at $5/pair but I realized when I got home they're "XL+" and pretty huge. Anyway, they're yours if you want them.

I actually have a pair of the XL+ and they fit alright. I'll take them :)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

Ahh no worries, I'll pick something up this week, thanks for looking though

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

I actually have a pair of the XL+ and they fit alright. I'll take them :)

I'm you wanna PM me your address I'll figure out what shipping will be and try to send them Monday.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:
last night.

So there's 30 minute left, we're on the PK, they pulled the goalie and after spending 45 seconds in our zone I get the puck and clear it to the net and it's going in.

Then the guy that just got out of the box sprints over and taps it in.

Haha. It's cool cause he got me a beer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just knocked off the first-place team for the 2nd time this year. We're now responsible for 2 of their 4 losses, and now 2 points away from first place. :toot:

No 5th hatty for me, but I did accidentally (sort of) spray the goalie and he took a swing at me.

On another note, for anyone in the Sacramento area, we're trying to pick up 2-3 more for next season, as we're losing a couple people. We'll be playing in the Bronze A league if they decide to split up Bronze. If anyone is interested in joining up, just let me know, either in the thread or PM. I can get you in contact with our captain. We'll probably have you meet up for a stick time or something to dick around.

edit: Must be able to drink beer after games and quote all of Talladega Nights.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 18, 2011

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just knocked off the first-place team for the 2nd time this year. We're now responsible for 2 of their 4 losses, and now 2 points away from first place. :toot:

No 5th hatty for me, but I did accidentally (sort of) spray the goalie and he took a swing at me.

On another note, for anyone in the Sacramento area, we're trying to pick up 2-3 more for next season, as we're losing a couple people. We'll be playing in the Bronze A league if they decide to split up Bronze. If anyone is interested in joining up, just let me know, either in the thread or PM. I can get you in contact with our captain. We'll probably have you meet up for a stick time or something to dick around.

edit: Must be able to drink beer after games and quote all of Talladega Nights.

I live an hour away but I work in Sacramento, do you play on set days? I've just been playing pickup lately after getting back into it and was planning on playing in San Jose or Oakland for the Winter season but if you guys have set dates and times it might work out even better and save me an additional drive, not sure where I am as far as levels go, still. Was planning on seeing if a spot opens up on one of the San Jose goons' teams to see if they want to pick me up so we can be SA hockey pals. Is this at the Roseville rink or?

I do indeed drink (light) beer and may or may not be able to quote the entirety of Talladega Nights from start to finish.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

StyleFresh posted:

I live an hour away but I work in Sacramento, do you play on set days? I've just been playing pickup lately after getting back into it and was planning on playing in San Jose or Oakland for the Winter season but if you guys have set dates and times it might work out even better and save me an additional drive, not sure where I am as far as levels go, still. Was planning on seeing if a spot opens up on one of the San Jose goons' teams to see if they want to pick me up so we can be SA hockey pals. Is this at the Roseville rink or?

I do indeed drink (light) beer and may or may not be able to quote the entirety of Talladega Nights from start to finish.

Yeah, it's Skatetown in Roseville.

We currently play on Sunday nights, anywhere form 6:45p to 10:15p. If they split the Bronze league next season, I'm not sure how the schedule will look. Rumor is that we'd still play on Sunday nights. In addition, we try to hit up Saturday morning stick times ~8am. Our goalie is a coach, so he runs us through some drills. It's not required by any means, just a way to get some extra skating in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was so muggy here in Chicago today that there was a fog on the rink. :tinfoil:

It was so thick you couldn't see the opposite crease while behind the net.

I think more hockey games should be played in fog because it looked awesome. Made me wish I had my camera with me.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

xzzy posted:

It was so muggy here in Chicago today that there was a fog on the rink. :tinfoil:

I think more hockey games should be played in fog because it looked awesome. Made me wish I had my camera with me.

Nothing is more awesome than playing hockey in Central Park out doors with NYC in the background sorry! Also, + when its snowing during the game.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

We currently play on Sunday nights, anywhere form 6:45p to 10:15p. If they split the Bronze league next season, I'm not sure how the schedule will look. Rumor is that we'd still play on Sunday nights. In addition, we try to hit up Saturday morning stick times ~8am. Our goalie is a coach, so he runs us through some drills. It's not required by any means, just a way to get some extra skating in.

I usually work from 10am to 6pm-ish (flexible) on the weekends so.. that sounds strangely convenient! I do carpool on Sundays, though, so I'll have to work out staying late or maybe just driving myself if it ends up panning out. Are you guys at stick time every Saturday?

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

xzzy posted:

When I was 12 or so, I was taking power skating at our old local rink in Sudbury, and the fog was so thick that they had us skate with anything large and baggy (they gave a couple of older dudes sheets) around for about 20 minutes before we could start. It was mostly just freaky not being able to see someone come out of nowhere beside you.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're doing with schedule. From what I've been hearing there may end up being a trickle-down effect of some changes in the higher divisions on the lower ones. Some teams that are currently in Gold A are considering dropping down to Gold B, for some reason that I was only really half listening to but I think involves some kind of Gold A/Platinum league thing. That would make some Gold B teams go to Silver A, etc etc.

I think we're committed to Silver B again for this upcoming Fall season, but it'll be interesting to see how things shake out. We had considered dropping to Bronze A but I think have mostly decided to stay where we are.

I can't afford 2 league fees but if your team needs subs or someone to split a season with someone else or whatever, I might be willing to come out and play. Always cool to meet more people at the rink. :v:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 19, 2011

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're doing with schedule. From what I've been hearing there may end up being a trickle-down effect of some changes in the higher divisions on the lower ones. Some teams that are currently in Gold A are considering dropping down to Gold B, for some reason that I was only really half listening to but I think involves some kind of Gold A/Platinum league thing. That would make some Gold B teams go to Silver A, etc etc.

I think we're committed to Silver B again for this upcoming Fall season, but it'll be interesting to see how things shake out. We had considered dropping to Bronze A but I think have mostly decided to stay where we are.

I can't afford 2 league fees but if your team needs subs or someone to split a season with someone else or whatever, I might be willing to come out and play. Always cool to meet more people at the rink. :v:

That reminds me since that'll probably factor into my where-to-play decision. How much do you guys pay per season in Roseville? Also poser and co. in San Jose?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

StyleFresh posted:

That reminds me since that'll probably factor into my where-to-play decision. How much do you guys pay per season in Roseville? Also poser and co. in San Jose?

It was $7000 for 18 games (two pre-season and 16 regular season games) but we registered early and received a $400 discount so everyone paid $440

poser fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 19, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

StyleFresh posted:

$7050 for spring/summer for team fee, 20 games. It will be more for fall/winter because there are more games and also because they will raise fees again cause they are dbags.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
god i never want to leave my campus intramurals. $125 for a team or $25 if you're signing up as a free agent

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No 5th hatty for me,

You should really move up a division or two, no?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also, the Labatt Blue/USA Hockey Pond Hockey Championship registrations are open. It looks like a fun time.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=PL_04&ID=13084&USAHockeyType=ICE

Sign up early if you are planning on playing, I waited a few weeks last year and was shut out of all divisions we were eligible for.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

xzzy posted:

One of my favorite hockey memories was one time I was the only goalie at an adult learn to play clinic. The fog was so thick you could barely see center ice. The guys were doing a skating drill around the circles at the other end, then would come in on a breakaway from half ice. I'd be standing there by myself, then a dark figure would emerge from the fog to challenge my net. After the shot, they'd disappear back into the fog. Very surreal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

StyleFresh posted:

I usually work from 10am to 6pm-ish (flexible) on the weekends so.. that sounds strangely convenient! I do carpool on Sundays, though, so I'll have to work out staying late or maybe just driving myself if it ends up panning out. Are you guys at stick time every Saturday?

We at least try to make it out on Saturday mornings, but as always, stuff happens. There's almost always someone from our team out there though. I think this past Saturday we had almost 12 of us out there. Some of them hit up stick times at random points during the weekday mornings, but I work a regular 8-5 so I can never make those.

We just started having a couple subs fill in from a league above when needed, and our goalie's dad plays D for us. But other than that, we're all fairly new to playing and have only been skating for a year or so. Other than the previously mentioned exceptions, we were all in the learn to play class exactly a year ago. I think we lucked out though, as we all mesh really well and we've improved a ton over the course of the current season.

What position do you want to play? And do you have PMs? I can let our captain know that you're interested and get you in contact with him. He'll probably invite you out to a stick time so you can get a feel for us. Actually, feel free to come out regardless. We always like playing with new faces! If our goalie shows up, he'll run us through some drills. If not we just dick around and generally try to hit each other with pucks as they skate by or try to make our slappers not dreadfully terrible. We're typically a lot more successful at the former than the latter.

Topoisomerase posted:

Please stay in Silver, we don't want to play you guys :) Last season we could never beat the Mustangs and seeing them at 3-10 in Silver B is a little intimidating. They were by far the best team in Bronze last season.

Anyway, we could always use extra subs. We have a couple of dudes from the Pirates that just started filling in when needed, but we could always use another. We've been running a short bench lately due to injuries as well as people traveling for work.

What position do you play? I think we're looking for both, forward or defense, so it shouldn't really matter. Do you have PMs too? I can let our captain know you're interested in being a sub and get you in contact with him. Since you're already in Silver and sounds like you've been playing a long time, I'm going to go ahead and assume you can already skate backwards circles around us all. You're also more than welcome to come skate around with us on Saturdays.

sellouts posted:

You should really move up a division or two, no?

Sorry, that came off as smug rear end in a top hat-ish and I totally didn't mean it that way. It was merely a joke referencing my inability to score in increments other than 3 (again, don't read as smug bragging). I honestly don't know how I've gotten so incredibly lucky. Part of it is probably by playing on a line that clicked really well. We've kept mostly the same lines since we started playing together as a team. And it's not like we're just a bunch of ringers who like to sandbang lower leagues and get our Sunday night jollies by lighting up scrubs and dropping 60 shots on some poor goalie. Although, there is one team in our league I've constantly complained about in this thread that does exactly this. Hopefully Topoisomerase gets to deal with them next season in Silver league :) Who knows, given our lazy as dogshit hockey director though.

As I mentioned above, 95% of us just stepped foot on an ice hockey rink for the first time one year ago, including myself. The vast majority of us still have problems doing backwards crossovers without falling on our faces.

So to answer your question, no. Our current league is pretty competative throughout and will have even more parity if/when they split it next season.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Topoisomerase posted:

$7050 for spring/summer for team fee, 20 games. It will be more for fall/winter because there are more games and also because they will raise fees again cause they are dbags.

God drat. It's $1400 for a 10 game season where I play, which equates to about $100-140 a person depending on team size

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit - wrong thread

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 20, 2011

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Dear people who shoot the puck,

I'm a goalie for some private lessons with one of the coaches from Yale and occasionally he asks what shooter's consistencies are. To this, I have few responses beyond "he has a quick release," "he doesn't cut across as much as he can," or "he tends to score a lot :downs:." What are some legitimate tendencies beyond what I mentioned and like picking corners/going 5-hole a lot? When I can't come up with answers, it worries me because it means I'm not paying as much attention as I could be.

Sincerely,
A goalie

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
It's pretty cool that the Sac area is so well represented in this thread.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

We at least try to make it out on Saturday mornings, but as always, stuff happens. There's almost always someone from our team out there though. I think this past Saturday we had almost 12 of us out there. Some of them hit up stick times at random points during the weekday mornings, but I work a regular 8-5 so I can never make those.

We just started having a couple subs fill in from a league above when needed, and our goalie's dad plays D for us. But other than that, we're all fairly new to playing and have only been skating for a year or so. Other than the previously mentioned exceptions, we were all in the learn to play class exactly a year ago. I think we lucked out though, as we all mesh really well and we've improved a ton over the course of the current season.

What position do you want to play? And do you have PMs? I can let our captain know that you're interested and get you in contact with him. He'll probably invite you out to a stick time so you can get a feel for us. Actually, feel free to come out regardless. We always like playing with new faces! If our goalie shows up, he'll run us through some drills. If not we just dick around and generally try to hit each other with pucks as they skate by or try to make our slappers not dreadfully terrible. We're typically a lot more successful at the former than the latter.
Ah cool, I just recently started playing again but played for a very long time before that so I might try starting out in a higher division if I can find a team that'll take me. I would love to sub for you guys if you end up ever needing anyone since the location is pretty convenient, though, I'll PM you my contact info and if you give me a day or two advance notice I will try my hardest to make it when you're short!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

StyleFresh posted:

Ah cool, I just recently started playing again but played for a very long time before that so I might try starting out in a higher division if I can find a team that'll take me. I would love to sub for you guys if you end up ever needing anyone since the location is pretty convenient, though, I'll PM you my contact info and if you give me a day or two advance notice I will try my hardest to make it when you're short!

I know some people in higher divisions who might be looking for players but only if you're not a dbag. ;)

edit: Know team captains in both Gold divisions and both Silver divisions.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

gco posted:

Dear people who shoot the puck,

I'm a goalie for some private lessons with one of the coaches from Yale and occasionally he asks what shooter's consistencies are. To this, I have few responses beyond "he has a quick release," "he doesn't cut across as much as he can," or "he tends to score a lot :downs:." What are some legitimate tendencies beyond what I mentioned and like picking corners/going 5-hole a lot? When I can't come up with answers, it worries me because it means I'm not paying as much attention as I could be.

Sincerely,
A goalie

I assume what he's looking for are things like release and whether the person tends to favor a certain direction or shot or if they have a certain move they like to do or a certain area of the ice they prefer to shoot from. Any decent shooter is probably pretty good at looking a goalie off where they're shooting. Does the player tend to let go pretty quick on a breakaway or will they hold on for awhile? Do they do anything that might signal they're going to hold on to it, etc.

It's really a pretty open ended question and it's designed to make you do just what you're doing - worry about paying attention to the shooting habits of certain good shooters on the other team so that you can stay a step ahead of them and anticipate what they might do instead of just being reactionary.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 20, 2011

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
So lame. Our best d-man(and captain) and our goalie got a game's suspension last night. We were winning 7-2 and it was the last 30 seconds and one of their guys goes off and started throwing punches at one of our wingers, who just stood there and took it(he was wearing a full cage). Our goalie lost his loving mind and started throwing off his equipment and going after the guy so our captain/dman stepped in and grabbed the guy instead to try and keep the goalie out of it. Then everyone on the ice just sort of grabbed on to someone in a big pile. And they suspended their guy for a game and two of ours for a game. That doesnt seem fair considering their guy is the only one who actually threw a punch, even if our goalie was practically naked on teh ice from ripping his equipment off. They said they gave our dman a game for being 3rd man in even though he never swung at anyone and was just hugging on people to try and break it up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds like your dman was the third man into the altercation, wether he threw a punch or was just grappling with a guy. The rule only defines when someone intervenes as being third man in.

Kinda sucks they didn't tag the guy throwing punches with an instigator or note it in the report, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, we've had a couple 3rd Man In suspensions in our league even though they were just trying to break up a fight. It's pretty bullshit when your teammate is getting wailed on and you can't do anything about it. We've been told that it's the refs jobs to break it up.