Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
My first official hockey lesson is on Thursday and I'm super excited. :dance:

I've been going to 2-3 public skates a week this month to get used to the ice, so I think I'll be ahead of most of my classmates in that I know how to skate forwards and turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

As long as you're willing to keep putting in the ice time you'll be doing cross over, skating backwards and stopping in no time (no time probably 6-12 months).

Skating lessons are definitely the way to go.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Have you ever played any hockey on ice? If not prepare to have the greatest time of your life. I was hooked after one lesson, now I suck dick behind arenas for ice time.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

prom candy posted:

I missed an easy shot again on Saturday, went wide of the net. I don't know if it makes a huge difference but I'm switching to my on-ice stick for basement shooting practice (my off-ice stick is shorter but has a different blade pattern). The good thing is I'm getting lots of time in the offensive zone and generally playing pretty well, but I need to be able to capitalize on these chances.

I'm finding in off-ice practice I can elevate the puck pretty well if I look where I want to shoot and then look at the puck on my stick, but if I keep my eyes focused on the target a lot of the time I think I'll try to snap and release before the puck is on the toe of the stick and it just kinda fires soft and low. More reps I guess!

If you have to look at the puck, look at it before you look at your target. Then try to feel the puck on the blade as you shoot. You'll get the hang of it. Head-up practice is always good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've been going to 2-3 public skates a week this month to get used to the ice, so I think I'll be ahead of most of my classmates in that I know how to skate forwards and turn.

Welcome to the sickness. Before you know it, you'll be bitching about refs, laying some sick chirps, and be on the receiving end of snarky posts by sellouts.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My first night of a beginner instructional league is tonight. I'm excited to fall on my rear end for 90 minutes learning to skate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You probably won't fall all that much, more like standing in one spot petrified to move. A coach will swing by and be all "GET YOUR BUTT LOWER! DIG THAT EDGE IN!! NO! LOWER!" while your quads are busy begging for mercy and you're hoping for a break to go chug some water.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

prom candy posted:

Have you ever played any hockey on ice? If not prepare to have the greatest time of your life. I was hooked after one lesson, now I suck dick behind arenas for ice time.

Nope. I occasionally played street hockey and broomball as a teenager, but never hockey on ice skates. Ice time on my own is cheap and easy, but as far as playing organized games, I'll probably do Rat Hockey as soon as my 8-week instructional course is done.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Welcome to the sickness. Before you know it, you'll be bitching about refs, laying some sick chirps, and be on the receiving end of snarky posts by sellouts.

hey just keep your head up and you'll be fine

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Played 2 games last night. Could have had 2 hat tricks but ended up with 1 goal and 6+ posts.

Pretty excited about going to an outdoor tournament this upcoming weekend here in Washington State.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Tank44 posted:

Pretty excited about going to an outdoor tournament this upcoming weekend here in Washington State.

Heading up to Winthrop?

sellouts posted:

Too lazy to skate up there and do it from the right zone imo

bar_down_on_Bradf0rd.flv

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My captain set up a team for Winthrop but I didn't like who he chose to go with so I backed out.

I would like to have gone with a cool group of people though.

On a side note, we had a game last night that we won 7-2. I had an assist playing defense. It was the first game we've won like that in a while. The other team called us ringers but really they are probably in a league or two above their average players skill level. They have 2 or 3 players who can actually move but that's it and it's easy to shut them down.

Its funny to be called ringers when we scored 7 goals all by different players and are floating around .500 this season.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Verman posted:

Its funny to be called ringers when we scored 7 goals all by different players and are floating around .500 this season.

We had a random great game last season where we put up 7 or 8 (with our normal guys, no ringers) and after it one of the refs said something about how we should be playing up a league. Like, dude, we've been winning like 3 games a season for years, what about the team that is 11-1-1 with a +27 goal differential?

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Bradf0rd posted:

Heading up to Winthrop?

Yup! Good schedule of afternoon games aside from 815am on Friday. We got put in the lowest division too.

Verman posted:

My captain set up a team for Winthrop but I didn't like who he chose to go with so I backed out.

I would like to have gone with a cool group of people though.

Hmm, you're on the weasels right? I thought they were a good group of peeps.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Were usually the greasy weasels bit no idea what the Winthrop team is. The last time I heard it was a bunch of different people from different teams, the people I really get along with didn't want to go.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm annoyed as hell because we have too many people to take to a charity tourney (i suppose their are worse problems) and they said they'd just choose who could come based on how much effort we put into training (because we tryhard, apparently, we've even got dedicated coaches for different positions now)

Guess who hasn't been able to get to training in the last 2 weeks and can't make this week either. Goddammit non hockey people, don't you understand that saturday night is a night of hard training rather than drinking or weddings or whathaveyou.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The "head" ref at my rink is also on one of my teams. He's old and slow, but let me say, it's great to have him on the team. Also a nice guy.

Welp, this guy got into a fight last night after getting slashed in our own crease a few times by one of their forwards. He ended up pulling off the other guy's cage and going to town on him. I'm pretty sure the other guy didn't even get in a punch.

Best part was that we ended up on the PP somehow. Our guy got a 2-game suspension and the other guy got 3 because he "took his helmet off" :lol:.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
WTF is with your league

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I maintain you need to take a gopro to every loving game man

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah I want to see someone getting beaten up with a gopro from first person

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I vote we crowdfund HZ a gopro for that very purpose.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

We need to get the Thunderdome set up with the company that streams amateur rinks so that we can all watch live or get highlights emailed to us after every game.

e: this thing https://livebarn.com/?locale=en_ca

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I used to GoPro every game, but editing the video got to be a pain in the rear end. I should have set it up for last night's game since that team in particular are always dickbags.

That said, I really should have because I got a hatty in the first period. One of the goals, the center took a shot from the right faceoff dot. I was sitting back door on the post. The puck hit the goalie, went through him, hit the far post (where I was), flew up in the air. As it came down, I batted it out of the air straight into the open net like that Spurgeon goal last week, except it came off the post instead of me catching it. Would have loved to have video evidence of me not swinging and missing for once.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 24, 2017

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

dogstile posted:

I'm annoyed as hell because we have too many people to take to a charity tourney (i suppose their are worse problems) and they said they'd just choose who could come based on how much effort we put into training (because we tryhard, apparently, we've even got dedicated coaches for different positions now)

Guess who hasn't been able to get to training in the last 2 weeks and can't make this week either. Goddammit non hockey people, don't you understand that saturday night is a night of hard training rather than drinking or weddings or whathaveyou.

What the gently caress are you talking about

Who are these coaches? What are their accreditations?

I'm in the process of destroying everything I know in terms of how to skate and shoot. It ain't cheap. It has already fixed my shoulder issues though so for that it is amazing. I can't imagine what you're getting with position coaches in some beer league.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

sellouts posted:

I'm in the process of destroying everything I know in terms of how to skate and shoot. It ain't cheap. It has already fixed my shoulder issues though so for that it is amazing. I can't imagine what you're getting with position coaches in some beer league.

iirc they play in England or something and their leagues are weirdly serious and also a little Thunderdome.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

wait you're doing what?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah dude I am working with an old strength and conditioning coach for Michigan state ice hockey and some other college programs to work on my fitness and he's like hey your stride sucks let's fix it. So I get my rear end embarrassed around the gym 3x a week at 545am in front of a bunch of old fat business men on treadmills because I am stupid. My flexibility already owns and is only getting better.

Also as you know I don't know how to shoot the puck so I am probably going to start working with a guy here who works with people who are better at hockey than I am to teach me how to do things right.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

that's a whole lotta tryhard for beer league

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

I am probably going to start working with a guy here who works with people who are better at hockey than I am to teach me how to do things right.

that's a whole lotta tryhard for beer league

I think we've come full circle.

Now, let me explain my social media presence for my beer league team...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Yeah dude I am working with an old strength and conditioning coach for Michigan state ice hockey and some other college programs to work on my fitness and he's like hey your stride sucks let's fix it. So I get my rear end embarrassed around the gym 3x a week at 545am in front of a bunch of old fat business men on treadmills because I am stupid. My flexibility already owns and is only getting better.

Also as you know I don't know how to shoot the puck so I am probably going to start working with a guy here who works with people who are better at hockey than I am to teach me how to do things right.

I started working with a trainer in November and its made a huge difference. Its crazy how much the game slows down when I can speed up.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

I'm reminded of Harvey Dent's speech to Batman about becoming a monster...

you've been calling people tryhards on the forums too much....

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

I think we've come full circle.

Now, let me explain my social media presence for my beer league team...

As long as this doesn't culminate in spouses and/or relatives bringing a cowbell to each game, it needs no justification.

edit: We've finally got a second game scheduled for February now!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I do not care about the game or my teammates performance. We can lose every game, I don't care. I just want to do hoodrat stuff with my friends.

But seriously it's super fun to take care of my body a little bit for once and I feel so much better it's crazy.

D C posted:

I started working with a trainer in November and its made a huge difference. Its crazy how much the game slows down when I can speed up.

Yeah. The gym was a foreign language to me and now it's fun and has a purpose.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what I am trying to say is that I am a man of the people and all you beginners I am now your brother in learning how to do the basics again

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin

This not only applies to hockey, but any skill in general.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part of the gym is when something that was hard is suddenly easy.. like flying up a staircase or getting up from the floor without using your hands. Small stuff that makes you go "holy poo poo I'm stronger!"

Same goes for learning hockey stuff. Every time I do a little thing that was previously impossible it's a little gently caress yeah moment.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've worked out more or less daily since I was like 13, can I infer that it is worth my time to stop doing so for several years in order to experience these amazing sensations you all are describing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, you're gonna be one of those 75 year olds that's still loving ripped and kids will gave upon you in awe as you juggle 100lb dumbbells.

You took a different path.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

I do not care about the game or my teammates performance. We can lose every game, I don't care.

Agreed, a couple of my buddies get annoyed because we lose games on our wednesday team pretty badly, but our goalie is 60+ years old and obese. We can lose 10-2 but if I make some good plays and skate my rear end off then it's a good game in my books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Team we played on Sunday had guys slamming sticks on the boards and yelling at teammates on their bench, they were loving furious about losing to the worst team in the league.

We ran up the score enough that we got a running clock, a major accomplishment. :angel:

So many door slams.