Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've got Supreme EE's and Nexus Ds coming today for comparison. Surely one of them will work.

The customs are waaaaaay out of my budget. If we weren't getting new siding/new HVAC/new roof all at once I probably would.

Thanks for reminding me about all the ridiculous checks I'm writing this week. poo poo.

Edit: it's the Supremes. Kind of wish the Nexus fit, they look sick.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lost a heartbreaker in OT 2-1 for the vaunted beer league title. It's 3 on 3, there's three seconds left (goes to a shootout after 5 mins). Their guy catches an airborne puck top of the circle. We have a guy covering him, but the guy fails to push him or poke the puck away. Guy spins and shoots low corner. Game over. It's beer league hockey though so who really cares but what a way to lose.

Now I get to enjoy summer league where there's a few ex pros playing :negative:. Nobody AHL/NHL level thankfully. Just ex D1 or low pro guys and a smattering of good d3 players. Everyone else is pretty much your run of the mill B/A quality player you'd see in any local beer league. Still a challenge to keep up though, but fun.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
First pro skate this year in the books. The other goalie was the gold medal USA womens goalie and it was really fun to play against her. I'm used to switching after 5 goals but we didn't at this skate which I was fine with since I faced more of the NHL players for the entire time. I wish I kept my gopro after we went an extra 10 mins, I made 3 breakaway saves on Stafford and caused him to bust his stick in 3. There were definitely a couple goals I'd like to have back (around 2:00) but overall I felt pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kKyIlnq4V8

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I had the prettiest goal of my life today. My teammate unleashed a slapper from the left side of the blue line and I just perfectly deflected it to the opposite side of the net from the goalie through traffic. I could've tried it a hundred times and not ever gotten it so textbook. It felt really good. :unsmith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deflections are the best goals, period.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most intentional beer league deflections end up as blocks so consider it a success. Nothing like sending a hard shot into an open corner of the net only to have your buddy attempt to redirect it, instead stopping the puck dead in its tracks and knocking it down out of mid air.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The best goals are NHL level deflections from your own D men in front of the net.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I have scored one deflection goal in my life and it was super perfect and definitely not intentional.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

Most intentional beer league deflections end up as blocks so consider it a success.

Wouldn’t it be considered a success at any level because it went in?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Since I play defense I've scored a few on my own goalie and on the other goalie :v:.

The worst was one in a midget tournament where I reached out to catch a floater from the blueline with my glove and instead of properly catching it I deflected it with my glove past our goalie into the net.

So I try not to do that any more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I wasn't sending my goalie into an incoherent rage he'd never say anything to me at all and I crave the attention.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

sellouts posted:

Wouldn’t it be considered a success at any level because it went in?

Most of the time at my lovely mid tier level, guys try to redirect/deflect pucks and it negatively affects the outcome of the initial shot meaning it blocks the shot or makes it go wide. If it goes in, gently caress yeah, celebrate like that was what you were trying to do all along.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I have deflected 3 pucks in 3 years of playing. 2 were stopped, one was an amazing positional save. The third went in and it was perfect going from top corner one side, to bottom corner in the other.

I will never do it again.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

Most of the time at my lovely mid tier level, guys try to redirect/deflect pucks and it negatively affects the outcome of the initial shot meaning it blocks the shot or makes it go wide. If it goes in, gently caress yeah, celebrate like that was what you were trying to do all along.

I still don’t understand how the level plays into it.

So at a lovely level you try and fail, cool but if it goes in you weren’t trying.

Weird differentiation.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

This is the best trophy.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

sellouts posted:

I still don’t understand how the level plays into it.

So at a lovely level you try and fail, cool but if it goes in you weren’t trying.

Weird differentiation.

I could see level playing into it with regard to the skill and power of the shooter. If people are complaining about attempted deflections being straight up stopped, it probably means the shot wasn't moving fast enough to be deflected in the first place.

He might also be saying don't even bother trying to deflect/redirect shots but if you are in the way and puck deflects off your stick and goes in then act like you meant to do it?

I don't know. I like trying for tips though. It is fun when you make eye contact with the point while you're standing out front and you both sync up and he gives you a perfect height shot for deflecting and it goes right in off your stick and into the net.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes, but that isn’t what he was saying at all.

He acknowledged that people try deflections (poorly) but then said if it actually goes in pretend like that’s what you were trying to do. Like there’s any other point to trying.

If you try a deflection at any level and it goes in, congrats, that’s what you were trying to do. Who is actively trying to deflect a puck anywhere else?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't care about deflections anymore and could go my entire life never hearing about them again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

I could see level playing into it with regard to the skill and power of the shooter. If people are complaining about attempted deflections being straight up stopped, it probably means the shot wasn't moving fast enough to be deflected in the first place.

He might also be saying don't even bother trying to deflect/redirect shots but if you are in the way and puck deflects off your stick and goes in then act like you meant to do it?

I don't know. I like trying for tips though. It is fun when you make eye contact with the point while you're standing out front and you both sync up and he gives you a perfect height shot for deflecting and it goes right in off your stick and into the net.

This sums up what I was trying to say. And yes, those are incredible.

At higher levels, guys are shooting the puck hard and accurate enough that tips are more likely to continue past a players stick after contact. At lower levels with less power and accuracy ... when a player attempts to tip a puck, they often end up just blocking the shot altogether essentially robbing your own team of a quality shot. A lot of lower level skaters are pretty much just trying to get a piece of the puck and end up clubbing it to a stop. I get it though. If I'm playing in front of the goalie, in addition to screening him I'm going to try to make the puck as unpredictable as possible and get a tip on it. The primary goal of my post was to say "its fun to tip pucks, but at my level most guys end up blocking the shot instead"

On an unrelated note, a few buddies and myself started bringing sticks to our local hockey bar. Someone bought a small street hockey net and a shooter tutor and leave it in the back room. It started during the playoffs and we just kept the sticks there for communal use. At one point we had 15 people and a small crowd in the alley. Its hard to describe the amount of fun you can have when you're playing drunk street hockey. poo poo was a blast.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
My very first goal on ice in anything ever was an on-purpose (lucky as hell) deflection over the goalie's leg pads.

Flash forward however many years and my most recent "goal" is a shot from the half boards that was sailing WAY way wide that, as I was turning around, bounced off my chest and just over my goalie.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

I don't care about deflections anymore and could go my entire life never hearing about them again.

Now you're just deflecting

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I popped the goalies water bottle off the net with a top shelf goal and he had to chase it. gently caress yo water bottle.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

On an unrelated note, a few buddies and myself started bringing sticks to our local hockey bar. Someone bought a small street hockey net and a shooter tutor and leave it in the back room. It started during the playoffs and we just kept the sticks there for communal use. At one point we had 15 people and a small crowd in the alley. Its hard to describe the amount of fun you can have when you're playing drunk street hockey. poo poo was a blast.

This is a cool and good idea!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

lol wait what there's street hockey happening at the angry beaver now????

Also I'm gonna try the off the back goal in every pond game now, Bradf0rd. :getin:
Oh also we came back and tied that second team

j/k we got loving extra wrecked-wrecked even after you split - potter just stopped saving everything hah ahh well

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 20, 2018

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I popped the goalies water bottle off the net with a top shelf goal and he had to chase it. gently caress yo water bottle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzCZBXDzfiE

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite was a few sessions ago I DESTROYED the goalies red PowerAde he had resting top self. It exploded into a fine red mist and the ice looked like someone was shot. *Sorry goalies*

zinc68 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 20, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I would love to blast a water bottle. But you know that whole "elevating the puck" thing...

Skated three times on the new Bauers, pretty freaking sweet. Don't feel like my feet are being compressed into a v-shape from the sides any more!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

lol wait what there's street hockey happening at the angry beaver now????

I'm not sure if you know who Leif is (highlanders 5a) but he brought the net. Unfortunately now that its summer, the beaver gets kind of dead so it just depends on who is there.

Had a really "fun" game last night. It was a physical game from the start.

They had one guy who was rather small and unskilled but mostly can't skate very well and got knocked over all night long by getting in peoples lanes, we'll call him Bambi. He started getting pissed that he was getting knocked over and started slashing people that ran into him. At one point Bambi and one of our better players were going for the same puck, side by side, shoulder to shoulder into the boards. Both players lean into one another but Bambi is much smaller and a bad skater, so he loses his balance and falls head first into the boards. Our guy asks if he's okay, gets a yes, then skates back into the play. Ref tells the other team that it wasn't a penalty, Bambi tried to push into our player but lost his balance and isn't a strong skater.

Cue the drama.

One of their guys blows up on the bench about the no call. They warn the guy. Thats followed by a "GO gently caress YOURSELF". They give the guy a bench minor, he steps onto the ice and proceeds to chest bump the ref trying to get him to fight. He gets a 10 minute (which is also his third penalty and results in an ejection. As he's leaving the ice he keeps telling the ref to gently caress himself earning another game misconduct, then another. His team is screaming at him to get off the ice and stop talking. During the stoppage, their goalie skates out to center ice challenging ours to a fight. It was beautiful. He's going to miss a quarter of the short summer season from a penalty that started on the bench. Thats brilliant.

The game continues. One of our players got a jump on a puck and went into the offensive zone. He beat their last defenseman, pushed the puck up the boards and went into the corner. Their crazy goalie charges the corner, checks our player who was going for the puck. Our player turned around and pushed him off and earns a roughing call. Things started to erupt again.

The score was 2-4 with 30 seconds left after all that mess, we just told the refs to run the clock out. We were down 2 goals with 30 seconds left, the game was out of hand and we were done with it. Their goalie howled when the final horn sounded. Like a wolf.

Here's the penalty sheet:

Icemen: 13 Infractions for 66 Minutes
Renegades: 5 Infractions for 10 Minutes

1st Period Penalties:
Icemen 4B, Eriksen (Holding - 2 Min) 13:10
Icemen 4B, Brooks (Tripping - 2 Min) 8:08
Renegades, Bridwell (Elbowing - 2 Min) 4:21
Renegades, Armstrong (Slashing - 2 Min) 2:44

2nd Period Penalties:
Icemen 4B, Brooks (Tripping - 2 Min) 9:58
Icemen 4B, Hughes (Roughing - 2 Min) 6:50
Icemen 4B, Eriksen (Holding - 2 Min) 4:21

3rd Period Penalties:
Renegades, Steedle (Slashing - 2 Min) 8:46
Icemen 4B, Jones (Slashing - 2 Min) 8:46
Icemen 4B, Hughes (Unsportsmanlike Conduct - 2 Min) 6:36
Icemen 4B, Hughes (10 Min Misconduct - 2 Min) 6:36
Icemen 4B, Hughes (Game Misconduct - 2 Min) 6:36
Renegades, Corso (Interference - 2 Min) 3:36
Renegades, Steedle (Roughing the goalie - 2 Min) 0:25
Icemen 4B, Bajwa (Slashing - 2 Min) 0:11
Icemen 4B, Bajwa (10 Min Misconduct - 2 Min) 0:11
Icemen 4B, Bench Minor (Unsportsmanlike Conduct - 2 Min) 0:11

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

zinc68 posted:

My favorite was a few sessions ago I DESTROYED the goalies red PowerAde he had resting top self. It exploded into a fine red mist and the ice looked like someone was shot. *Sorry goalies*

I've only hit 2 water bottles in my.... holy crap 8 years now, of skating. The one above and one like 3-4 years ago. I took a slapper from the point, it went top corner, hit the bottle. It flew straight up like 15 feet, the lid popped off and his water went everywhere. It was great.

Red Powerade would have made it better though, for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The NHL sucks for making goalies use those foam sleeves for their bottles. I don't care if the reason is to help see the puck on video reviews, exploding bottles own.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Verman posted:

I'm not sure if you know who Leif is (highlanders 5a) but he brought the net. Unfortunately now that its summer, the beaver gets kind of dead so it just depends on who is there.

They had one guy who was rather small and unskilled but mostly can't skate very well and got knocked over all night long by getting in peoples lanes, we'll call him Bambi. He started getting pissed that he was getting knocked over and started slashing people that ran into him. At one point Bambi and one of our better players were going for the same puck, side by side, shoulder to shoulder into the boards. Both players lean into one another but Bambi is much smaller and a bad skater, so he loses his balance and falls head first into the boards. Our guy asks if he's okay, gets a yes, then skates back into the play. Ref tells the other team that it wasn't a penalty, Bambi tried to push into our player but lost his balance and isn't a strong skater.

Cue the drama.

One of their guys blows up on the bench about the no call. They warn the guy. Thats followed by a "GO gently caress YOURSELF". They give the guy a bench minor, he steps onto the ice and proceeds to chest bump the ref trying to get him to fight. He gets a 10 minute (which is also his third penalty and results in an ejection. As he's leaving the ice he keeps telling the ref to gently caress himself earning another game misconduct, then another. His team is screaming at him to get off the ice and stop talking. During the stoppage, their goalie skates out to center ice challenging ours to a fight. It was beautiful. He's going to miss a quarter of the short summer season from a penalty that started on the bench. Thats brilliant.

The game continues. One of our players got a jump on a puck and went into the offensive zone. He beat their last defenseman, pushed the puck up the boards and went into the corner. Their crazy goalie charges the corner, checks our player who was going for the puck. Our player turned around and pushed him off and earns a roughing call. Things started to erupt again.

The score was 2-4 with 30 seconds left after all that mess, we just told the refs to run the clock out. We were down 2 goals with 30 seconds left, the game was out of hand and we were done with it. Their goalie howled when the final horn sounded. Like a wolf.

1st Period Penalties:

2nd Period Penalties:

3rd Period Penalties:

I was going to comment and say somebody had posted this already, but this exact scenario is very common.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Cue the drama.

1st Period Penalties:

2nd Period Penalties:

3rd Period Penalties:

All of this is amazing. Only thing that would have made it better was if the goalies actually fought.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Here's my personal Hall of Fame candidate for a shitshow beer league game:
https://stats.rv.timetoscore.com/oss-scoresheet.php?game_id=17501

And this is probably the best scoresheet I've ever seen in my life. Unfortunately not my game:
https://stats.rv.timetoscore.com/oss-scoresheet.php?game_id=13950

Every single one of those is a legit penalty. The winning team dumped the puck at the end of the game and a guy on the losing end boarded that dude. Both benches cleared. I think like half of both teams were suspended for 5 games next season or something. It was great. And it was the beginner league.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
:golfclap:

I was waiting for your response. That's poop glove level status.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

That's just insaaaaaane. I've been in a few chippy games but nobody ever blew a gasket, holy poo poo.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Man I can't think of any time I've ever destroyed an opponent's water bottle. I have accidentally destroyed my own goalies water bottle though. It was during warmups. He brought just a store bought Poland Springs sport bottle and he was off to the side stretching but he already threw his water in the top of the net and I busted the top right off that thing. He wasn't too happy, and I wasn't thrilled to piss my own goalie off before a game, but come on man. If your aren't going to bring a legit water bottle keep it on the dasher away from the net until the game starts like just about every other goalie does.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

The NHL sucks for making goalies use those foam sleeves for their bottles. I don't care if the reason is to help see the puck on video reviews, exploding bottles own.

Agree.

This is another cool water bottle incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDoGWBx930M

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And this is probably the best scoresheet I've ever seen in my life. Unfortunately not my game:
https://stats.rv.timetoscore.com/oss-scoresheet.php?game_id=13950

Every single one of those is a legit penalty. The winning team dumped the puck at the end of the game and a guy on the losing end boarded that dude. Both benches cleared. I think like half of both teams were suspended for 5 games next season or something. It was great. And it was the beginner league.

:lol: Found a crappy phone video of it. Too bad he added lovely music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnoRcOwvpcI

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the "area used for beginner skaters with buckets" sign is pretty apropos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
https://bennyhillifier.com/?id=ZnoRcOwvpcI

My heroes are 76 white and 40 blue at 0:46. "Yeah this is loving stupid ... lets go drink beer"