Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Stood in at a practice last week, the last time I was on the ice with this guy I fought him. (Squirts)

Side note to tall goalies the 1X XL pants have a gap on the thigh that only puts thin fabric between the puck and your leg. Picked up a pair of CCM's.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

titanium posted:

Stood in at a practice last week, the last time I was on the ice with this guy I fought him. (Squirts)

Side note to tall goalies the 1X XL pants have a gap on the thigh that only puts thin fabric between the puck and your leg. Picked up a pair of CCM's.

Parise? Holy poo poo I want to see that video (both the practice and the squirts fight)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beer leaguers being dorks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWL-nCuSOvc&t=316s

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Verman posted:

Parise? Holy poo poo I want to see that video (both the practice and the squirts fight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJEVwoBf1I

Nothing too exciting aside from the players, Nic Dowd and a lot of other college kids are there. I might be going to one next week with Zucker.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I think my tailbone is unusually attracted to the ice. Goddamn I can hardly walk. Can't even say I made a sick play or got checked hard - just stopped hard and lost my footing, and bam. My kid laughed his rear end off.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I couldn't play for 6 weeks after I bruised my tailbone, so I use a tailbone guard now. It's designed for snowboarders, but it fits under my hockey pants and I don't even notice it when I'm skating.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just got back from a weekend long backpacking trip this weekend, about 15 miles, 5k elevation gain, three peak scrambles and I have a playoff game tomorrow.

Legs are going to be toast.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Beat the top seed in a rollercoaster of a game 7-6 in the shootout to make it to the finals next week. :woop:

First time I'll ever be in a championship game. It was about as emotional a playoff game as you get in this league, with us blowing a couple leads, going down, then tying it back up after they had a goal waved off for goalie interference. Yelling and some shoving is about as Thunderdome-y as it gets around here.

I got incredibly lucky with the waved off goal since I caused it - I saw the puck heading in, put my skate to block it, and it perfectly deflected off and into the goal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

6-1 in the last 30 seconds of our playoff game last night, so we knew we'd lost and had kind of clocked out.

Then mr game 7 gets on the ice and ties up with one of our defensemen, he grabs the stick and starts wrenching on it and when they go down he springs up crying for a hooking. Ref gets in his face and tells him to get the gently caress off the ice, it's 6-1, take a seat. Everyone was laughing but him.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I couldn't play for 6 weeks after I bruised my tailbone, so I use a tailbone guard now. It's designed for snowboarders, but it fits under my hockey pants and I don't even notice it when I'm skating.

I'm definitely going to look at those, thanks for the heads up! This is the third time I've done it over my playing career, and I know one of these days it's just going to be completely screwed.

Last time it took about a year before I was completely pain-free - I was okay playing, but I was traveling a lot and plane seats would kill me.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

a mysterious cloak posted:

Last time it took about a year before I was completely pain-free - I was okay playing, but I was traveling a lot and plane seats would kill me.

Yeah I flew to Hawaii about a week after I bruised it, and those flights were by far the worst part of recovery.

Today was the first day of the Fall season, so I don't think most people knew that Rat Hockey was back to having Monday sessions. Only 10 skaters showed up, so we did 4v4 with 1 bench spot. I've never been so exhausted, but it felt really good afterwards.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Hey friends!

Work has been hell and so I haven't been skating much as of late. Picked up a team that skates on a Sunday night so at least the Office can't get in the way.

Checked Facebook this morning and welp, they seem like a friendly bunch: https://www.facebook.com/vicky.kempson/videos/10156350888696285/

:v:

MajorJohnSteed
Dec 20, 2014

z0331 posted:

Beat the top seed in a rollercoaster of a game 7-6 in the shootout to make it to the finals next week. :woop:

First time I'll ever be in a championship game. It was about as emotional a playoff game as you get in this league, with us blowing a couple leads, going down, then tying it back up after they had a goal waved off for goalie interference. Yelling and some shoving is about as Thunderdome-y as it gets around here.

I got incredibly lucky with the waved off goal since I caused it - I saw the puck heading in, put my skate to block it, and it perfectly deflected off and into the goal.

Looking forward to playing you on Sunday. Let the best goon win.

Yelling and a bit of shoving are it, except for this season when somebody flips out and spits on the opposing bench. Then promptly quits the league and hockey all together.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Zip! posted:

Hey friends!

Work has been hell and so I haven't been skating much as of late. Picked up a team that skates on a Sunday night so at least the Office can't get in the way.

Checked Facebook this morning and welp, they seem like a friendly bunch: https://www.facebook.com/vicky.kempson/videos/10156350888696285/

:v:

Can't be beer league.

Too many skaters.

Falling everywhere checks out though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bootcha posted:

Too many refs/linesmen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any twin cities goons? Curious if there's a good place for a daytime weekday skate up that way. Going to be spending a week every few months up there for the next while and think I'm gonna haul my gear along. Obviously being Minnesota there's a billion rinks, but I want a chill spot for a bad skater to chill in.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
With my newly built team this season, we pulled off a mediocre record of 4 wins, 5 losses and 3 ties. We won our first playoff game and with our win tonight against the top team in our division, we solidified our spot in the championships Wednesday!

I just went on a backpacking trip this weekend and can barely walk. My calves feel like cinder blocks and I have zero energy. I was dead by the end of the first and playing sluggish.

We had a faceoff in the opponents zone. I was playing right wing in the left circle so I was posted up in the slot. I backed up off the line a few feet. My center won the draw clean and straight to me. I one timed it as their wing pressured me. He covered me pretty well so I couldn't see the net when I took the shot. I also couldn't see that it beat the goalie five hole but I heard the clunk and saw the ref point to the net.

All players are happy with the season and plan to return. We're going to look for a few more to round out our roster and we're in the process of designing new jerseys.

Fun stuff for the upcoming winter season. Glad i decided to build a new team. Feels good.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

MajorJohnSteed posted:

Looking forward to playing you on Sunday. Let the best goon win.

Yelling and a bit of shoving are it, except for this season when somebody flips out and spits on the opposing bench. Then promptly quits the league and hockey all together.

Joke's on everyone else since the guy we replaced him with is a lot better. :smug:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

xzzy posted:

Any twin cities goons? Curious if there's a good place for a daytime weekday skate up that way. Going to be spending a week every few months up there for the next while and think I'm gonna haul my gear along. Obviously being Minnesota there's a billion rinks, but I want a chill spot for a bad skater to chill in.

Minneapolis person here, these will be perfect for you.

https://www.hockeyfinder.com/

https://jmshockey.com/

Both have a lot of levels to choose from and are designed to be more chill and have fun pickups. They also moderate their skates well from what I've heard. If an rear end in a top hat shows up he's not allowed to come back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lost a playoff game last night in OT with 0.0 left on the clock. Booooo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

it sounds like the thunder dome has calmed down a bit

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah not too much to report on the thunderdome in the past year or so, shockingly.

However, last night one of their guys did punch one of our guys in the chest during the handshake line. Their guy got a 10-minute unsportsmanlike and our guy got a game misconduct. For reasons unknown.

Most of the refs at our rink are so so bad.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This one guy on my team plays chippy/hard with guys in what's supposed to be a friendly league and then loses his poo poo on them when they give it back to him. It's loving annoying, especially because it's a small league and we have to play the same guys really frequently. It's like, if the rest of us are laughing and having a good time and you're getting in little scraps nearly every week maybe you're the problem bud. Of course I'm posting that here because I'm sure as hell not going to say that in the locker room.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

BeerLeague.txt

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
There's a dude on my team that has been probably the best forward / scorer in our league for a while, definitely shouldn't be allowed to play down at this level. Obviously this has been good for my team's results but he's generally a surly dick and not that much fun to play with so I take some pleasure in him getting his comeuppance. Anyway, we played the last place team in the league last night and they have dug up some ringer that was by far the best player on the ice and I got a lot of enjoyment watching our ringer get madder and madder as he kept failing to defend / get past their guy. Also we still won and I got a goal so pretty much an ideal game.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
we have fourteen (14!) dang skaters for our championshit game tonight

I don't think we even had that many show up for the season opener or at any point this season. So that, of course, means the other team will have 4 skaters and a 1 legged goalie and we'll still lose to them

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Welp I'm 0-3 in championship games as of tonight. I'm also a three-time recipient of the "most sportsmanlike player" so I guess my bench banter is at least paying off.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Duke Chin posted:

I don't think we even had that many show up for the season opener or at any point this season. So that, of course, means the other team will have 4 skaters and a 1 legged goalie and we'll still lose to them
[...]

Welp, we had a two goal lead, I scored the first of the game (my best wrister of the year from almost the blue line), then our goalie and 3rd line D went stupid and let them tie it up late and we lost in the 4th round of the shootout.

That's three in a row now :suicide:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
We're the top seed heading into the playoffs but the top 4 teams are all really close:
Us 10-1-0
2nd 9-0-2
3rd 9-1-1
4th 8-2-1

We've been pretty bad for years so the guys are getting excited about potentially winning but I'm nervous about counting our chickens too soon. Our only loss was 2-1 vs the 2nd place team :ohdear:

Duke Chin posted:

One of the other good things about my team this summer was we only had 13 skaters on the roster and people mostly showed up.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 23, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The team that trounced us in playoffs over the weekend used to be D1, but have issues with attendance. So they dropped to D2. Still lost there, so they ended up in D3 and ice 8 skaters on average. But they still have the full D1 roster and as soon as it's playoff time the whole loving bench shows up and turns on hulk mode.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Ask me about having only five (one injured) skaters for our first playoff game and being eliminated because we had to forfeit!
(don't)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

[...]

Welp, we had a two goal lead, I scored the first of the game (my best wrister of the year from almost the blue line), then our goalie and 3rd line D went stupid and let them tie it up late and we lost in the 4th round of the shootout.

That's three in a row now :suicide:

That sucks, where did you guys play last night?

We had our championship game in Everett. The smoke outside was terrible, much worse than Seattle and it actually smelled like a camp fire but then again that could just be Everett. The rink itself was even hotter than normal seeing as it was still in the mid 80s at 9pm. We played the top team in our division (vipers 4b). They don't have a weak link on the whole team and they had 13 skaters compared to our 10. Everyone can skate well and fast, they can all shoot and their goalie is solid. Their chemistry is insane. They have a breakout that resembles a well oiled high school team who practices several times a week. They play a very fast and physical game though they only averaged one penalty per game this season. We forced them to take another 16 just this game. We played as hard as we could and kept up with the shots (31 - 31) but we couldn't beat their goalie. We started getting desperate, took a guy down on a breakaway which gave them a penalty shot and they scored. They also buried an empty netter. We lost 4-0.

I really can't complain though. We were talking about building a new team at a tournament this winter. We moved up to a higher skilled division than most of us played before and made it to the championship. Everyone enjoyed the team, everyone is coming back and we're excited that chemistry is building. I'm really looking forward to next season, and new jerseys.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The rink finally is reopening tonight, the rink is run by the company that does the state fair so they melt the ice every summer. I haven't thought about hockey/working out since May. I'm going to die tonight but I've been waiting all week to start playing again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You used the offseason to work out at the gym, right?

right??

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I thought about it, that counts right?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

You used the offseason to work out at the gym, right?

right??

haha... hahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

calandryll posted:

I thought about it, that counts right?

Thinking burns calories so yes.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

We had our championship game in Everett. The smoke outside was terrible, much worse than Seattle and it actually smelled like a camp fire but then again that could just be Everett. The rink itself was even hotter than normal seeing as it was still in the mid 80s at 9pm. We played the top team in our division (vipers 4b). They don't have a weak link on the whole team and they had 13 skaters compared to our 10. Everyone can skate well and fast, they can all shoot and their goalie is solid. Their chemistry is insane. They have a breakout that resembles a well oiled high school team who practices several times a week. They play a very fast and physical game though they only averaged one penalty per game this season. We forced them to take another 16 just this game. We played as hard as we could and kept up with the shots (31 - 31) but we couldn't beat their goalie. We started getting desperate, took a guy down on a breakaway which gave them a penalty shot and they scored. They also buried an empty netter. We lost 4-0.

Thanks for the compliments! You guys really should have stopped going glove side, though. :smuggo:
Also, thanks for apologizing after losing an edge on the breakaway. :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teams that don't run matching jerseys are always cheating dirtbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

Thanks for the compliments! You guys really should have stopped going glove side, though. :smuggo:
Also, thanks for apologizing after losing an edge on the breakaway. :)

I had no idea that was you. I felt bad for the collision and I was so confused on that play. I got the breakaway, didn't realize the time left and ate complete poo poo before I could get a shot off and went crashing into you. I heard a whistle and saw everyone skating to the benches and a ref at center ice. I thought somehow they called a penalty shot but I didn't realize the period was over. I'll blame the confusion on the smoke.

You guys are so fast, I was dead by the 1st period. Anytime the puck came to my stick on the breakout I was thinking "aww gently caress, now I have to skate ... aaaand the gas tank is empty".

Ah well, it was a great game.