Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Same here. We usually have 5-6 D. I know a lot of people hate it, but we have a lot of pure “gently caress no I’m not playing forward, that’s too much skating” old/lazy D-men.

Usual comments before the game are oh man I have to play forward. I'm glad I joined the team because it's the most fun I've had since being back and usually we get kicked out of the locker room by the team 2 games after us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
only like 3 people showed up to this skate yesterday so i just worked out instead and good god am i sore.

also i was practicing one timers from about the ovie spot and one of them i REALLY got a hold of was a laser straight for the center of the goalies forehead. he ducked fast enough and it just sort of grazed him but he still had a big black scar on the top of his brand new white helmet. he was kind of a new-ish goalie and was definitely not used to that kind of thing and my god i felt so bad

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Best time to get in an extended shoving and yelling match in a game is definitely at 12:35 am with seven seconds left in a 6-2 game.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I had probably the best defensive game of my life on Tuesday. I blocked a bunch of shots and managed to strip or poke the puck away from a few of the other team's best players. On the offensive side, I straight-up whiffed on three one-timers, so it balanced out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man we have the worst loving refs at my rink.

Things escalated throughout the game due to dumb calls and lots of more non-calls. I had a breakaway with 4 mins left in a tie game. I’m about to put a move on the goalie and I get checked from behind, fall awkwardly and end up twisting my ankle pretty badly and sliding feet-first into the boards. I end up having to get dragged off the ice for the first time in my illustrious beer league career.

Other dude gets ejected and has an incoming suspension which is fine and dandy, but man, I hate it when refs don’t control the game and poo poo ends up escalating into an injury. Now I’m on the couch for the next couple days.

Also, it helps a lot to have firefighters and paramedics on the team, even if they only show up 25% of the time.

Got x-rays back and I'm out at least a month with this ankle bullshit. And of course 2 days ago, I stepped on my son's Legos in the dark and rolled the same loving ankle.

Also found out that I have degenerative disc disease in my L5-S1. Good poo poo.

Sounds like a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2 will be in my future...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Got x-rays back and I'm out at least a month with this ankle bullshit. And of course 2 days ago, I stepped on my son's Legos in the dark and rolled the same loving ankle.

Also found out that I have degenerative disc disease in my L5-S1. Good poo poo.

Sounds like a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2 will be in my future...

Its been a few months since I injured my lower back and the pressure on my sciatic nerve hasn't seemed to loving relax so I'm considering getting a CT scan to see if there's anything seriously/permanently wrong with it. If they tell me to relax and let it heal, I'll probably also be playing RDR2.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I worked heavily on my slapshot and one-timers today because of how bad they were on Tuesday. I've upgraded my slapshot from "gets off the ice 20% of the time" to "stays below the crossbar 20% of the time." Progress! :toot:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My surgically reconstructed knee recently started to give me heck of issues, but it's fine during hockey if I wear my j-brace, so I'm going to continue ignoring it as long as I can skate.

Three games this weekend, including a 10:30 tonight and back to back 11:00pm and 12:20am starts tomorrow night/morning. That'll really be cutting into my prime RDR2 time.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Got my first goal tonight since, uhhhhh, 1997? Snagged a rebound just outside the crease, quick deke around the diving goalie and in. Feels good.

I will not be playing RDR2 this weekend, though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I've been skating for 4 years now and I'm coming to the realization that I don't really have any ability with my outside edges at all. I tried doing this outside edge drill yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwzsOyOeHw&t=51s and it's like I can't even engage the edge at all. I also get my inside foot sliding underneath me when I do crossovers which I think is the same issue of not activating that outside edge. Does anyone know if there are easier drills than the one I linked to start to get a feel for the outside edge or should I just keep trying that one? I'm guessing it's just the typical skating issue of not getting low enough and not leaning enough. I've also been on a 5/8 hollow for quite a long time, not sure if I should try going back to 1/2 to see if that helps. I like 5/8 in general though and don't really want to switch to a deeper hollow just to correct for my own bad habits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, that's pretty much it. If you can't do the 180 turns yet, go for more of a straight line and build up to it. You don't have to jump into the deep end on this one, though it is helpful to push the edge of your envelope.

I've had coaches make us do 180 turns inside+outside both forward and backwards. Backwards outside edges gently caress a lot of folks up but man you improve fast by trying them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I gotta imagine being able to use those edges will help with a lot of maneuverability so I'm going to focus on this for a while. Thanks!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I've been playing hockey for about 16 months now and I can do my outside edges going forward, but backwards is still really difficult. My backwards crossovers are non-existent. Like, I can do the motion of moving one foot over the other, but they're not actually productive in accelerating like when I'm doing forward crossovers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Make sure you have a good knee bend, and I find exaggerating the crossover motion with the skate in the air helps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the newbies I've seen having issues with backwards crossovers have been leaning forward with their eyes on their toes. Squat until your quads burn and keep your torso upright to put balance on your heels and you'll see progress.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

All the newbies I've seen having issues with backwards crossovers have been leaning forward with their eyes on their toes. Squat until your quads burn and keep your torso upright to put balance on your heels and you'll see progress.

Total aside from this conversation, but man you guys were really aggressive last night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Total aside from this conversation, but man you guys were really aggressive last night.

Funny, we felt the same way. :v:

General consensus from our side is that dude in the yellow jersey was basically a human cuisinart, and no calls were being made so we started getting slashy ourselves. The refs were kinda lazy too, they let a some stuff go that shouldn't have.

Friddle was pretty miffed about the guy that kept planting his rear end in the crease too. He got a whistle for it once (the waved off goal) but kept doing it so he probably has some bruises on the back of his calves this morning.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Funny, we felt the same way. :v:

General consensus from our side is that dude in the yellow jersey was basically a human cuisinart, and no calls were being made so we started getting slashy ourselves. The refs were kinda lazy too, they let a some stuff go that shouldn't have.

Friddle was pretty miffed about the guy that kept planting his rear end in the crease too. He got a whistle for it once (the waved off goal) but kept doing it so he probably has some bruises on the back of his calves this morning.

Yeah, there were a bunch of no calls that should have happened. I think the refs just wanted to get home. I actually meant the overall team play was aggressive when you were on the attack. We could tell you were working hard to try to get the win.

The guy you’re talking about. The one who kept planting at the crease? Yeah, he was doing that to me on defense all summer and the first few games of this season. I booted him up to wing and told him to do that to the opposing goalie instead of me. I did also tell him to stay out of the crease, so that’s on him.

I didn’t feel like I was having my best game, but I thought Friddle was on his.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've been playing hockey for about 16 months now and I can do my outside edges going forward, but backwards is still really difficult. My backwards crossovers are non-existent. Like, I can do the motion of moving one foot over the other, but they're not actually productive in accelerating like when I'm doing forward crossovers.

I have trouble with outside edges too. My crossovers are fine, but when I actually think about focusing on that edge it all goes to poo poo. I just practice it any time we do public skate, and it's slowly getting better.

Backwards, though... Nobody skates backwards, right?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

During the summer I sort of figured out how to do ONE backwards crossover after doing a pivot, but not a backwards crossover while you know, moving backwards. But I forgot.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
9-5 win tonight and got 2 goals in the most boring ways: backdoor tap-in and a shot that deflected weirdly off a defender's stick and into the net. Their goalie let in like 5 bad or weird goals and was real mad about it and slashing anything that came within range. Also got a puck to the cage, cages are good.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'm coming up on 2 years with a single team, and I think I'm about ready to leave them to journeyman around the league a bit. They're a fun group of assholes, who are my kind of assholes, but more recently the rear end in a top hat-ishness has taken a turn from amusing to exasperating. I mean, I'm easily one of the bottom 10 skaters in this particular league and it's a miracle when I get my one goal a season, but there aren't many teams that can effectively play down a man for half the game constantly. Our goalie took a break this season for this reason, and I'm filling in, and I definitely see his frustration. Losing isn't fun yeah, but that's easily mitigated with good people. But when you're losing because every game someone on the bench is yapping "gently caress you"s to the ref for every call, getting into a fight every other game, and generally having meltdowns over ice time and passing, it starts to make the unfun game part outweigh the good people part.

That and their favorite post-game bar is on the other side of town, and it's becoming a chore to drive there.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Being shorthanded and losing out on icetime because someone got mad about something, or is an rear end in a top hat is the worst, and pretty inexcusable IMO. At least my current team we usually only have an angry/rear end in a top hat penalty every other game or so, or they're offsetting.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The only bad thing we have on our this new team is one guy said he'd rather hit top of the crossbar and have the puck ricochet into something loud on the roof than get a hat trick. Boy ain't right.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bootcha posted:

I'm coming up on 2 years with a single team, and I think I'm about ready to leave them to journeyman around the league a bit. They're a fun group of assholes, who are my kind of assholes, but more recently the rear end in a top hat-ishness has taken a turn from amusing to exasperating. I mean, I'm easily one of the bottom 10 skaters in this particular league and it's a miracle when I get my one goal a season, but there aren't many teams that can effectively play down a man for half the game constantly. Our goalie took a break this season for this reason, and I'm filling in, and I definitely see his frustration. Losing isn't fun yeah, but that's easily mitigated with good people. But when you're losing because every game someone on the bench is yapping "gently caress you"s to the ref for every call, getting into a fight every other game, and generally having meltdowns over ice time and passing, it starts to make the unfun game part outweigh the good people part.

This is why I formed a team myself. I enjoyed 75% of my last team but the other 25% completely ruined it for the rest of us. There were several issues but one of my biggest were people losing their poo poo on the ice either to the other team, the refs, or fellow teammates. The cherry on top was the captain (a nice guy but a terrible leader) never really addressed issues because he hated confrontation so the team got away from him. We had several near fist fights in the locker room usually from one player calling out the other player for being a poo poo head. I played 3 years (6 seasons) with them and I stopped looking forward to games. I was upset after most of my games. The captain was mostly focused on winning so he let a lot of things slide. He also only saw scoresheet points and not chemistry. The bench was constant yelling and arguing. Yelling at refs, slamming doors, arguing about shift length, positioning etc. Overall not fun hockey.

Left and built my own team with people I enjoy playing with. Best decision I ever made.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Lost 10-5 or 11-5 last night and a good 8 goals were from one guy. Wrong league bud.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

prom candy posted:

Lost 10-5 or 11-5 last night and a good 8 goals were from one guy. Wrong league bud.

My league started having a 3 goal max per game per player, anything else doesn't count. Good players can still dominate a game, but at least they'll have to pass a little, maybe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One league I was in would actually hand out penalties if a goal restricted player kept scoring, which I find hilarious.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I guess having penalties is sort of in line with the spirit of the rule, though probably messy in application.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It worked, it wasn't perfect, but it allowed a sandbagger to play with his buddy in the never ever league and not piss off every single opponent in the league.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

what the gently caress

Seriously. Don't you guys have multiple divisions?

Even if not it's beer league who gives a poo poo how much a guy is scoring

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah you're right it's super fun to go 0-15 in the lowest division at the rink because some dorks that played college showed up and can go bar down every single shift.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I would also be pretty irritated if someone was scoring 8 goals against me. Yeah it’s beer league, we’re paying to play semi-competitive games, not to have a great view of NA3HL superstars loving around.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Thufir posted:

My league started having a 3 goal max per game per player, anything else doesn't count. Good players can still dominate a game, but at least they'll have to pass a little, maybe.

One of my leagues has this rule, though there's not supposed to be any penalty for more. Though certain refs don't know that and hand them out anyway.

We beat the top team in my other league 4-3 last night. We had that coach-certified ringer again and it was almost funny watching him purposefully move at like half speed to keep from being, well, a ringer. I put a bad pass in his skates and he just sort of took his time looking for it, then getting it to his stick, then passing it.

Then after the other team tied it up, he went ahead and deked the poo poo out of their goalie to score the game winner. :shrug:

Kinda sucks for them, but we actually managed to keep it super close and took the lead for a while so gently caress it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

I would also be pretty irritated if someone was scoring 8 goals against me. Yeah it’s beer league, we’re paying to play semi-competitive games, not to have a great view of NA3HL superstars loving around.

The goal limit doesn't really solve anything though. If I wanted to play with beginners and they limited me to 3 goals a game I could still set people up all day and stop anyone defensively if I wanted.

Just can't believe they don't just kick those people into another division instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Just can't believe they don't just kick those people into another division instead.

Because money is more important than balance and rinks won't do anything that might cause a team to leave the rink.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't setting up a mixed league with certain skill level allowances be ideal?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Austin’s a weird place, man. Other places really don’t like that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also relegation of teams and players is difficult when people pay to play on certain nights.

I don’t understand it, really, but if I was moved up or down to a Friday or Saturday night team I’d probably have to quit because I can’t afford a divorce.