Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

He boarded himself.... I’m going to start telling the refs that. Nice work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I get why it’s a funny thing to read, but I don’t know how else to describe it.

I was closer to the net, he was on my backhand side. All of my momentum was going the behind the net to clear the puck. He brushed shoulders with me and literally dove off his feet into the boards. It takes 100% of my concentration to skate and hit a moving puck, and even if I could mentally manage to hit someone, I couldn’t physically launch him with my bottom hand while following through on the clear attempt.

I can’t process buying hundreds of dollars in gear, paying hundreds of dollars in league dues, just to come do that late on a Thursday evening when you can dive around a soccer field for way less and at more convenient times.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Stitecin posted:

I can’t process buying hundreds of dollars in gear, paying hundreds of dollars in league dues, just to come do that late on a Thursday evening when you can dive around a soccer field for way less and at more convenient times.

grass stains are a motherfucker

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

here’s a suggestion. You got your first penalty. It was easier than you expected

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Now that you can't claim you've never taken a boarding penalty, you might as well just board someone next game. You know, so you can actually know what the rush of power feels like, the exhilaration of the check that makes the 2 minutes in the box all the more sweeter.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Skated in a drop in tonight that started with the dudes dad in the 60s. loving wild. Skill level was pretty competitive.

Also some good and fast dude smoked me for 1 and a post in the first shift and from then on i went back to pee wee hockey and watched his hips for what he was going to do. After that kept him to the outside at worst.

Feels good to have a good skate for once.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Won last night 11-7. Anyone wanna take a stab at when the other team decided to just put all five of their best players out and keep them out the rest of the game?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No goalies, eh? That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Any game whose goal total climbs into double digits, you start marking down goalie assists.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Yeah, their goalie did not have a good night.

Ours was fine until they started turning it up at the end, though the rest of the team had kind of stopped trying as much until it looked like they might actually get back in the game.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

Another teammate had knee surgery and was back full time in two weeks. Doctor said if it felt good it was safe to play, as it helps the strengthening. But two weeks is insane.

Was it a meniscus scoping?

bewbies posted:

also there's a couple new guys on our team and I had two new linemates. one was literally fat, but was also really loving good, and the other had a huge beard and reeked of whiskey and cigarettes so I think he's basically a hobo.

Was his name Brent? Was his last name Burns?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone's interested, Verbero's Cypress sticks are 70% off right now, $60 after the discount code "save70stick".

https://www.verbero.com/collections/sticks/products/copy-of-cypress-hockey-stick-senior-grip

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
We had two good goalies at last night's game and played to a hard-fought, chance-heavy 1-1 draw. Don't often get to do that in a beer league...was a fun experience.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mr. unhsib posted:

We had two good goalies at last night's game and played to a hard-fought, chance-heavy 1-1 draw. Don't often get to do that in a beer league...was a fun experience.

Wolves vs Renegades?

Rode dirt bikes with my friend all day yesterday and then had a game at 11pm which didn't start until 11:15. The other team only had 5 skaters but they were a division higher than us and their goalie was really solid. It ended in a 1-1 tie with a poo poo ton of chances both ways so it was crazy to only see a 1-1 game. Nothing like rolling home around 2am and falling asleep drat near instantaneous.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
xzzy, jesus man. I know it was late last night but you gotta move your legs... and you know, not run into a team with a couple guys who shouldn't be in D at all.

I'm actually considering emailing Hawk about that game to bring up how far beyond Orange Gloves was from everyone else. Dude was taking five minute shifts.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drat had to call him out publicly huh

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know what skill level any of you all are at but every one of your teams would have beat us on Sunday

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

drat had to call him out publicly huh

I was calling him out from the stands. And he heard me, because he responded.

Don't get me wrong, the poo poo talking was happening when the score was still a reasonable 1-0. And that 1 goal was on a flukey rear end misplay by the goalie. Myself, a couple teammates, and a couple guys from the team we'd just beaten were in the stands actively jeering their opposition for running up the score and hoping the shutout would get broken up.

Bewbies, we're both on teams that are supposed to be the next step up from adult instructional leauge. (AIL, D3, D2, D1, C3, C2, C1)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eh, I don't specifically know what you saw but in my head if I'm not moving it's because I'm trying to read what's going on. They had at least three guys that scored whenever they shot, and when they wanted to make it look like a real game they hit perfect passes to their charity cases. I get real gunshy when I get burned and they were doing it regularly.

When one of their actual D3 scrubs had the puck I was making good plays and you can't change my mind. :v:

Our issue isn't defense anyways. Yeah we had an epic bad game but the goose egg the offense laid is the bigger issue and is what sinks us every week, we haven't broken two goals in a game all season.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Playing for the first time in 2 months tonight. I might die.

Also, Bootcha are you the one behind the Sunk Cost Galaxy videos?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Played last night, jesus loving christ there were two guys on the other team that just poo poo all over us. They were clearly slumming it with us D leaguers and they didn't slow down the whole game, which made it not-fun really fast.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
On this day I am thankful for the super chill drop in morning hockey my buddy is putting on tomorrow and that we actually got two goalies for it :monocle:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get thanksgiving hockey too, 7-9am.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Turkeypuck!!
Thankspucking?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Watch estimated 1.2 miles skated and 900 calories burned, I think I can eat an extra serving of stuffing tonight.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Anyone got a LiveBarn sub? I had a goal last week that I'll probably never top and would like to print it out and be buried with it. I'll throw a few bucks to someone if they can help me get a clip.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress yeah we got our first win of the season last night.

(the other team forfeited)

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Man, two forfeits last night. People probably didn't want to go out in the snow.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I had a really weird catastrophic shoelace failure where my lace ripped into 5 separate pieces all at once. I have no idea how this is possible unless someone ran over it with their skate, which I'm pretty sure I would've noticed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I had a really weird catastrophic shoelace failure where my lace ripped into 5 separate pieces all at once. I have no idea how this is possible unless someone ran over it with their skate, which I'm pretty sure I would've noticed.

The only time I ever "noticed" my lace getting shredded was when some dick clown at american highland in lincolnwood was foot stomping me in front of their net while cross checking me. That was the first and only time I ever felt the need for punching someones teeth clean through to their rear end in a top hat.

I've probably lost a dozen laces through the years from various skate cuts that I didn't notice until my lace was dangling and it was clearly cut. It happens often enough to just keep a spare set of laces in your bag.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Have truck pissed on by ex-NHL'er, while barking piss coaching instructions at him.

cross off bucket list item

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

theyre pissing on your vehicle instead of anywhere else, they don’t like you.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The new hockey director at our rink decided to merge A and B divisions, and my B team was mercy ruled (10 goal deficit) for the 2nd time in 3 games. Good times.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

theyre pissing on your vehicle instead of anywhere else, they don’t like you.

you are projecting

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyduck posted:

The new hockey director at our rink decided to merge A and B divisions, and my B team was mercy ruled (10 goal deficit) for the 2nd time in 3 games. Good times.

How does this work? As soon as it hits 10 it’s over, even if it’s first period?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

How does this work? As soon as it hits 10 it’s over, even if it’s first period?

I've never seen a mercy rule in beer league hockey, but this is generally how it works in every softball league I've played in. You play, and if someone hits the Mercy rule, the ump calls the game.

It kinda sucks since I'd still rather play it out and get my money's worth. I don't give a poo poo if I get owned in a recreational activity. I play to win but it's not my Stanley Cup or anything. I got that stuff out of my system in high school.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah that’s what I mean and totally agree.

Hockey’s a bit different, more expensive, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting kicked off the ice you paid for would have me bitching to the commissioner real quick. You don't get to demand thousands of dollars for a team and then shortchange them because they bad.

(maybe give them more ice with a printout of drills to practice)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Getting kicked off the ice you paid for would have me bitching to the commissioner real quick. You don't get to demand thousands of dollars for a team and then shortchange them because they bad.

(maybe give them more ice with a printout of drills to practice)

My leagues good about that. No mercy rules that I know of and even if you're really short they'll still let you play as long as you have at least 6 and a goalie. And the commissioner is a cool dude who will sub in and play if you really can't get a 6th. Of course he's an ex pro so he can only really do that and have it not be unfair in B league but I've seen him play goalie in C league for shits and giggles when they're missing guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you get mercy ruled just mix the teams and do a scrimmage. No sense in wasting ice time.