Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just broke my scoring drought tonight and got my first ever three points! Got a goal and two assists while playing my first time as center. Somehow I was really good in faceoffs at the draw and played hard on the forecheck to feed a couple pucks to my wingers. Then I had a breakaway goal which went low-right in the net.

It feels awesome to finally have some success at this sport after 10 games of no scoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bewbies posted:

look, if he wants the playing time he's going to have to earn it. we also have a guy playing really well at our D2 farm team so he's going to get pressure from that direction too.

Maybe he should work on his compete level after the instructional scrimmage is over prior to the officiated game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bigbillystyle posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that everybody on the ice can see clearly that something has happened and the only 2 guys that are supposed to really be watching don't see it. We had a puck come over the glass and hit the netting and come back into play last week too and it took both teams yelling to convince the refs to blow the whistle and stop play. I get that reffing a loving beer league game isn't worth the $50 bucks they are getting but how hard is it just to watch the play and call the easy stuff? I don't even care if they miss the chippy stuff behind the play or those offsides calls that are super super close. I expect them to miss that poo poo. But pucks that go out of play and come back in, people who are offside by 5 feet, blowing the play dead while the puck is in the corner nowhere near the goalie, stuff like that should only happen like once a season, not every week. Sorry for the rant but seriously, the only 2 guys getting paid to watch the game never seem to be watching or are watching through bizzaro glasses and make a call completely opposite as to how everybody else sees it.

Hey man it's hard to ref when you're drunk.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

delpheye posted:

Go make a dickhead of yourself. Unless you're skating with people whose lives are forfeit, you should get a couple of suggestions to improve. Good pickup generally runs the gamut of skill levels given that the idea is that everyone is there to get better.

Yeah pickup usually runs the gamut of benders all the way up to the guy in the 99 jersey doing coast to coast snipes with an obnoxious celly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Splinter posted:

Is it OK to use skates only 6 hours after they've been baked? Will bad things happen? I've always heard wait 24 hours.

Some manufacturers recommend different times for the foam to set. I recently had some Bauer goalie skates baked and the advised time was only 8 hours. Still the guy at the shop recommended 24, but that's apparently the standard wait time among most brands.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just had the most insane game of my illustrious beer league career for my silver team. I'm #19:

This is the team we beat in OT for the championship last season, so it wasn't a slouch of a team or anything. We just played out of our minds tonight.

Then the game after us, the power went out in the rink. We drank beer for 30 mins in the dark then went home. Not sure what happened to the games that were going on at the time.

Holy poo poo when are you expecting your pro call up? Almost pulled off a double hat trick in beer league...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Beer league hockey checklist:

-Head on a swivel
-Pucks to the net
-Finish your check
-Play the body
-Wheel, snipe, celly

That's basically hockey

e: forgot "support our goalie"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

i have to explain to other teams in the league meeting tonight that dressing a goalie who has played "once or twice before" isn't fun for anyone

Fun for the other team maybe. Unless you're in D league, you can't just throw any warm body in net.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My championship game is tonight, but I've got a broken fingertip bone from pickup on Saturday. To play or not to play?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Out 4 weeks with a broken finger and my championship game is tonight :(

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Some kind soul decided to rent out the sports arena the ENTIRE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS for scrimmage games. We're also kicking off our informal winter league Saturday morning at 8:30AM. I guess that's one benefit of having an ECHL team local to me...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bigbillystyle posted:

It's kind of a recent thing with these guys, as far as the complaining and giving up on plays if they aren't perfect but they have been skating with us for about a year or so. Hopefully they just calm down.

For now they are kind of locked into our drop in until our next payment. The way the guy who takes the money does it is that everybody pays for an hour of ice up front if you want to be guaranteed a spot. We usually have like 12-15 people sign up. Then anybody that decides to be a walk on just pays per skate and that money goes into an account that will buy additional hours of ice when there is enough money in the account. But if you are a walk on then you aren't guaranteed a spot if more than 20 people show up. So we'll have to wait until the next time we have to re-up the money to see if these guys are trying to stick around or if they are going to try and find something that better suites their NHL skill level.

This is basically how my crew handles ice time at our local ECHL arena when we do pick up games. Everybody does a sign up sheet the week before and then pays once they arrive at the arena. Since we have a lot of D League guys (myself included) the guy organizing tries to balance the teams out pretty evenly. If you're a superstar that got in, it's understood that you'll play down to the guys on the ice or you won't get invited back in, since this is supposed to be a D1/C2 kind of skate.

There's always a couple guys that take it too seriously, but they don't get invited back for subsequent weeks if that's the case. We're all out there for practice and exercise anyway.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

calandryll posted:

Speaking of drinking. My rink has decided to sell beer only on Sundays, which is when the majority of our games are. Though they refuse to bring it to the bench. I have a feeling it'll be overpriced. We were told we could still bring outside beer if we were discrete about it.

Just put a piece of tape over your Coors Light that says "NOT BEER!". That's discrete, right?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's the closest thing you can get to water without actually drinking it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

God drat I got wrangled into playing 4 scrimmage games back to back this week as goalie. I love the ice time but I'm so tired after tonight's game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Probably mad because his jock was in the rafters.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I did my first rage smash with my stick playing goalie last night. Shouldn't have even been mad since it was a 3 on 1 but gently caress I was getting lit up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I goaltended a pickup game in Charlotte last night where it was pretty much nothing but college players for some reason. I know about 20 seconds into the first shift that things were going south in a hurry. That and defense decided not to play the whole night, so I was getting backdoor chip ins scored on my the whole time.

I know defense is optional in a pick up game, but gently caress, trying to make saves on a 3-0 is impossible.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Extreme Ice. If you were there, I was the goalie in the /r/hockeyplayers jersey.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fingers McGee posted:

No I wasn't there. I was curious as I'm trying to get back into playing regularly and realized the Pineville rink doesn't have Saturday pickup currently. I've been to EI but not for a while as I ran into the same thing you did. The ratio of superstars to old beer league guys was lop sided and the superstars took it way too seriously.

Pineville is doing a 10:30PM skate (gently caress that) on Saturday nights and has the D1/D2 leagues earlier in the night from what I understand. I'm having to drive 2 hours from Greenville, SC to play since our rink is down for maintenance and I have to get ice time.

It's pretty hit or miss with the player mix out there. I haven't had to deal with the A league superstars too much and normally it's C league caliber players, but I guess the kids were all home from school.

There's a FB group called Pickup Hockey that a guy named Steve runs and he tries to organize all the pickup games at Pineville and XI. I've had good experiences with it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

what is this and why do you have it

FWIW /r/hockeyplayers is an actual Good Subreddit. They did a batch of jerseys around November and I ordered one in goalie cut.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think of ways that I can blame soft goals on my D.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'll send you a picture when I get home today, they're actually not that bad.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Am I within my rights as a goaltender to slash somebody if they try and lift my stick (during a loving play)? Because I had a gently caress boy try and do that in pickup and I just gave him the death stare.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bradf0rd posted:

Slash? No. Trip him slyly while no one is looking, yes. If you do it right, he'll bite it as he tries to skate away and ends up getting angry at you while it looks like he just got tangled up with your stick while you tracked the puck. That being said, considering it was pick up, are you sure he wasn't just loving with you?

I probably took it too seriously but it's still a dick move to do especially since I don't chirp anybody. In fact, the only thing I say on ice is "SCREEEEEEN!".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

you not chirping anyone doesnt mean anything in regards to how others are going to treat you other than them probably thinking you are a try hard redditor who needs to let a few jokes through your humor trapper or waffle board or whatever crap y'all use

i mean yeah, during a pickup, sure. i'd do it to bradford if i thought of it myself and was not scared of getting hit inbetween the shoulder blades by a bewbies snapper again

I guess I'll just go back to calling people faggots every time they score on me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

delpheye posted:

We've all been wondering why our goalie has been wildly inconsistent, more and more, over the last year or so. Sometimes he'll skate the puck out to the top of the face off circles for no reason, his passes to defensemen are more of a magic 8ball guess when it comes to direction and power. He'd come off a groin injury a while back that kept him out for about half a season but since his return it's been like he's playing drunk every game despite not being a drinker.

Apparently he's developed a wicked vicodin addiction. At least we know *why* now.

Man that sucks, I hope he can get everything under control :( Did he just come out and say all this?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

delpheye posted:

No, he doesn't even realize what a thing it is. After our game the other night, I was asking him if his groin was still bothering him. "Nah, but I chewed 3 hydros on the way here." and then proceeded to pop another one. My first response was whether or not that much was such a hot idea but he seemed to take it like I was asking if he was going to run out. "I have 3 refills on this bottle until I need to worry about that. Why, you want one?"

he's got kids and doesn't take care of himself in any other way, so I know it's going to be rough when life forces him into making a real decision about what painkillers are really worth. we all take our team pretty seriously and he doesn't have a lot else going on besides hockey and his daughters so I hesitate to even float the idea that time off to dry out might be wise.

Holy poo poo, if he's chewing the stuff up he has a problem. He's going to have to wean himself off slowly because opiate withdrawal is super brutal.

Maybe you don't need to have an intervention or anything, but try and talk to him one on one if you feel comfortable about it. I can't see how he could function well as a goalie if his senses are dulled by painkillers.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thankfully the only thing I have to worry about as goalie is either a dome shot or a stinger to the arm.

Strangely enough, I did break one of my fingers in October when a shot deflected off a body and somehow hit my index finger through the 1 inch gap of my blocker.

http://imgur.com/a/dqzuK :nws: Blood warning.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

I've seen a couple of people move for a blocked shot then spin around when the guy shoots. Like holy hell what are you doing? From the front you're covered from toe to your neck if you bought appropriately fitted gear. Yeah, let's rotate around where you have either no padding or light padding just barely reduce chance of injury from a light slash, let alone a shot, and make all that your primary target for the puck. Just get out the way if you're going to flinch and/or spin.

I think it's human instinct to turn away from impending danger. That's something you actively have to practice at correcting.

My fingernail actually fell off from that shot I got hit with... It's only halfway grown back and it's been a couple months.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah I agree, it is something you need to overcome but what I'm curious is why even attempt in the first place if you know you can't do it?

I get what you're saying, but not many people are going to go to practice asking teammates to take slappers at them so they can practice shot blocking. It's something that they'll have to mentally prepare for, but I agree that they should avoid getting in shooting lanes if they're gonna turn on instinct.

When I first started doing goalie, it took me about a month to stop flinching when facing a slap shot even though I had pads on. It took me that long for me to start trusting my equipment. I'd taken a couple slappers to the thigh and chest playing forward and I guess my body was programmed to prepare for pain.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I admit that I'm the guy yelling "Fuckin' backcheck!" but it's only because I try and be competitive. I try to give advice only when solicited.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

communist kangaroo posted:

I want to play goalie sometimes but the gear prices are more frightening than having pucks fired at me

Getting used gear is the way to go, but you're still going to have to drop $300-400 for a helmet to get something that's safe. You can get away with cheaper if you're never going to play against higher level players, but if you do drop in you get exposed to a wider skill level at times.

Most of the time when I yell, it's to try and communicate with my defense. I'm not going out and just having meltdowns every night. I'm still D league at best, but I try to suck less every time I go out.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I think I'm going to try playing in goal in the women's league's next Give Hockey a Try Day. I'm sure it'll be a shitshow but at least I'll probably get an entertaining photo op out of it.

You'll have a ton of fun out there. Just make sure that you stretch out well to begin with. You'll use different muscles than you're used to skating out.

sellouts posted:

A Good Redditor

Can I pay you to chirp me from the bench? I'll make sure I wear my MRA jersey when I'm out on the ice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The best part of GoPro'ing our games is being able to make terrible videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYca30ZrDIQ

True to beer league form. You guys sending him down to D2 for a conditioning stint?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah, concussions are no joke. Go to the loving hospital if you lose consciousness or even get your bell rung if the ringing doesn't stop.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jovial Cow posted:

So I am admittedly a beginner at hockey and I play in the lowest tier men's league, but north of 40% of my goals are backhanders. Am I doing this whole hockey thing wrong?

Swap wings maybe? It may not be a bar down snipe but a backhander still counts as a goal.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I bitched about spending $400 on a face mask, but I took a ringer off the dome last night that I'm pretty sure would have concussed me if not for the mask. Ears rung for like 10 seconds and then I was good to go.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Had to pour on some beer league tough love last night at pickup. A guy came out with an orange jersey and insisted on playing on the white team. I let like 3 goals in from him because I couldn't tell what loving team he was supposed to be on. He also took like 10 minute shifts and just coasted around. Chirping got pretty bad toward the end but he finally got the point. I was halfway expected to see "99" on the back of his jersey.

rathockey.txt

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 7, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I had a 4:45PM puck drop on Sunday afternoon once. It was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would vacate goal if I ever had to face that kind of bullshit. Then again I could use the "hey bro, when are you getting your call up?" chirp with sincerity.