Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
On one of the rare occasions that I skated out at a Stick n Shoot, I heard a small child whisper to his friend "Is that Chara?"

Punk rear end kids :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I use a whiteboard without any pledge or anything on it. Pucks still slide and don't flip up on end or anything, it's just a little more resistance.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Yeet posted:

Aw hell yeah! ...how would one start out playing goalie? Back in my highschool days I played a poo poo ton of pick up games with friends and I always played goalie. I had my own cheap pads, catcher and blocker, it was so much fun. That was all roller hockey, and I'm not opposed to roller hockey now. The good news the one roller hockey league I've contacted are really desperate for goalies and even sent out a mass email saying they'd waive game fees for goalies.

Where do you live?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Lawnie can probably chime in with a good hockey store in your area then. I've never been to one of those paradises but I hear they have knowledgeable staff and this thing called a "selection"

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Petit.Conan posted:

Make sure your not over tightening your skates too much either.

When I was breaking in my new skates it was hell for the first 10 hours, then mildly uncomfortable for the next 10, and now they feel like natural extensions of my feet. I use yellow Superfeet + Underarmor hockey socks as well, they really did make a big difference during break in.

I think I have the same UA hockey socks you're talking about and they are awesome. I used to like playing in dress socks because they were the thinnest socks I owned but these UAs are just sublime.

sockchat.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Playing in net for the first time in nearly 10 years. This should be interesting. Hopefully I don't take any rocket slappers to the dick...

Stick/glove taps, shopping cart stance with your hands out in front of you, butt down and drive your knees into the ice when you butterfly. Use your stick a lot.

That's all you need to remember and you're golden.

Also don't take any slappers to the dick, as you mentioned.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Goalie skates also make it way easier to lean against the crossbar and chill between rushes.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

how did I never skate without socks before today, that poo poo owns

Very true.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

D C posted:

Beer league is 50% sexual innuendo names.

Busty Shafts, Donkey Punch, Cleveland Steamers ect.

My favorite was Easton Fection

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
"Behind your butt" like the puck is really behind you?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
This

bewbies posted:

And this

Verman posted:

are both awesome. I wish the Caps would stop having playoff games on nights I usually play hockey.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

Just pulled the trigger on some X:40 skates to replace my X:20s that I've realized are 1/2 size too big. Anyone ever bake your own skates at home? Ice Warehouse has a video guide that makes it not look too hard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBqRt701oZQ

That's almost exactly what I do (I do 200 for 5 minutes because my oven is dumb) and you're right, it's really simple.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
When I'm in goal I've noticed that I actually pick up the puck quicker off of a white stick. There's something about black tape on the follow through that keeps a little bit of my attention, almost like my brain needs a split-second to decide which of the two diverging black objects is the puck and tracks both until I've figured it out.

That said, I still switch tape colors after losses when skating out :v:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

coldwind posted:

I knew. There's no way a phone takes that kinda shot.

I'm just surprised you put it back up and then started taking harder shots.

The phone was finally warmed up

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I have this thing about learning how to play a sport while there are referees, a timekeeper, emotions, poo poo like that. If you want to learn how to play hockey I'd be more than glad to lend any support I can at a stick n shoot, pick-up, scrimmage league, clinics, anything but the one time per week that I actually care about doing better than the other team.

Disclaimer: My rink has a "Lowest level of competition available" but does not have a "Beginners league", so my feelings are fairly universal for this area.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
What is the name of the rink? Link to sale details? My pops is scheming lately.

And hockey is a dangerous sport wherein blocking a shot is hardly the most dangerous bit, in my opinion.

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 17, 2011

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It's The RecZone (Raleigh, NC, if you need it). I don't have any more details other than what the program instructors there have given us, unfortunately. Supposedly some potential buyers were scoping the rink out today but I haven't heard anything about how that went. I've got a scrimmage/learn-to-play over there tomorrow night so with any luck we'll get more info then.

If they do find a buyer, I hope whoever the new owner is gets a new website going (the current one is seriously some of the worst web design you'd ever want to see).

Thanks!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

coldwind posted:

What is the most dangerous part?

In most beer league/pick-up I've seen, the play is innocuous enough that shot blocking just might be the most dangerous part. I mean, as noted before, it can stop your heart. Not likely, but it can do it. Though, I think my experience of low-level hockey doesn't always match up with what other people experience.

If I have kids that play hockey, I know I'm gonna do my best to instill in them the instinct to not block shots. Soft ribcages and all.

Aren't you a goalie?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Petit.Conan posted:

So I'm 6'4" and I would like to buckle down a get a pair of better quality sticks.

I hate however, putting those wood shaft extensions. I find they kind of mess with the balance and flex.

Back in the wood days some companies would make taller wood sticks for guys like me, does anyone do that now with the composites?

Seconding this.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

bewbies posted:

Also I have decided to give the Combat 52 caliber a try, people really seem to love it even over the most expensive stuff out there.

I think you'll be very pleased with that one.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

Just a little whack to try to free the puck, and it was about a half-second - if that - after he caught the puck. He seemed like he didn't have a really great grasp on it, so I gave him a little tappy-tap. This was all before the whistle.

He screamed "what the gently caress!" and I, of course, immediately skated to the box.

I play whistle to whistle. :chord:

As a goalie I must point out that you intentionally slashed someone and feel you did nothing wrong :stare:

As a skater I say keep doing it :smug:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

gigabitnokie, I have a random question for you that I don't want to clutter up the thread with, but you don't have PM. Shoot me an email at zambonirodeo at gmail.com if you would be so kind! Thanks.

Sent!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
When my sticks get retired I take slappers off a concrete patio with a softball to work on flexing the stick more. It's awesome but destroys blades so don't do it with a stick you ever want to use again.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Bowled over a guy trying to go outside on me tonight and ended up with his toe cap in my chin.

So close to dying :ohdear:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I don't see how anybody can advocate full cages before they advocate for neck guards or spine protectors. Puck to the face won't kill you, but a skate to the throat can.

Also if you intentional shoot high through traffic at pick-up you are an rear end in a top hat and I can't believe that's even a debate.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

poser posted:

I have back to back games on Sunday, any suggestions for good between games?

I've heard pizza is a go-to but I get queasy even thinking about eating pizza minutes before getting on the ice. I'd personally go with an orange or something like that but I've always felt like my hydration level was always the biggest difference maker in how long I can skate at a decent level.

Or one of those gel-packs that runners use.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Clear sock tape, barely enough to go around the lace once, works pretty well too if you're without a flame.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just noticed that I have 0 penalty minutes with only 3 games left in the regular season. I really want to hip check someone just for the sake of getting a penalty :(

Don't do that. When you have the puck, try to "make a move around someone" but just destroy them.

It's way more satisfying than catching someone with their head down.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

D C posted:

A lot of those guys with stupid skill that show up to drop ins and what not might have the skill for the NHL, but lack important things such as size, and especially the head for hockey.

A lot of them I've run into are douches as well.

This is true. Basically everyone in the NHL is 6' tall or more. Long legs make all the difference in the world when skating.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

gco posted:

Ice gave me a bad habit that almost cracked my skull one time. I tried to hockey stop on roller blades. :saddowns: Luckily I caught myself before I killed myself, but it took me a while to not instinctively hockey stop.

This same thing also happens in reverse. I take a perverse pleasure in watching an inline guy start spinning like a top the first time he tries to stop on ice :laugh:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

Ug, at my game on Wednesday I collided with a guy on my first shift and something hit me in the throat. I finished the game but my throat has felt hosed up since then so I decided that probably shouldn't play until I see a doc and know my airway isn't about to collapse or something. Can you break your throat?

My airway felt hosed up and swollen for a few days after I caught a puck under my adams apple. It's probably nothing but you should get it checked out anyways.

E: I actually played on a team (I sub all over) with the guy who shot that puck on Tuesday. In the locker room he kept eyeballing me then finally blurted out "Are you the guy I almost killed?"

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

xzzy posted:

I bought a pair of easton synergy socks because I went to try on skates and forgot to bring a pair of my normal socks, and it was all the store had in my size. I was instantly impressed with them.

They're snug without cutting off circulation, and super thin. They're so comfy I started wearing them as day to day socks.

I wear either those socks or nothing at all, depending on my mood. I prefer the feel of going barefoot but my skates get funky quick.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
The object of a "move" isn't to confuse the defenders arms and stick, it's to get his feet moving one way while you're already planning to go the next. Move one way early and then go the opposite direction as soon as the d-man reacts.

Putting the puck through someones legs is a lot more glamorous but it's surprisingly easy to confuse lower level players and just skate right by them as they pirouette around and hack at your ankles.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Has anybody switched from shooting righty to lefty or vice-versa?

I'm a natural righty and I've always played hockey with a right handed stick but I've been messing with my friends left-handed sticks and I really like the feeling of having my dominant hand up top where it is supposed to be.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

bewbies posted:

I got kicked in the face by a skate playing roller hockey on Tuesday (the guy tripped over our goalie and I was right behind him). My jaw still hurts.

I am glad it was roller hockey.

Also I am starting to seriously consider getting new skates. Has anyone here any experience with the MLX skates?

So close to being so bad.

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 8, 2011

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Lawnie posted:

probably just me and :okpos:

Checking in.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

Yeah, I just don't want to add any energy drink-style stimulation on top of the normal post-game stuff.

You won't notice any difference after the game. Drink the G1 about 30 minutes before your ice time, the B Vitamins take a short while to hit your bloodstream.

Totally worth it, by the way.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Pleads posted:

Me: "Hey have you heard anything from that guy in your class about the hockey team?"
GF: "I will ask."
~
GF: "He called, you have a game tomorrow night."
Me: :catstare:

I am fuckered. Still have to get a new visor, mouth guard, sharpen my skates, and somehow complete 1-2 months of conditioning in the next 24 hours!

Hydrate. Now.

That's all I got. Good luck!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
6'4, long legs, old 15" Jofas with no straps because I'm cool like that. Under the tounge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Over/Under on percentage of Cage Advocates(tm) that do not wear a neck guard set at 90%.