Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser, trilljester:

I'll be in San Jose next Friday night. Want to grab a beer and talk about puck? I'll probably be hanging out with Gabe Desjardins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

And skate guards will cause rust :eng101:

Hey, wanna grab a beer on the 17th or what?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

I might be free, what time?

I'm meeting Gabe Desjardins at like 6:30 in Mountain View.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A banana and sudafed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hey San Jose types (poser, Henrik) I landed a job and I'll be moving out there in the next few weeks.

I'm rehabbing a pretty bad groin injury but if you need a player I'd love to jump on board.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

A spot on my team for a job :)

What do you do?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Lawnie posted:

How does it feel to have goons continually begging you for work?

Fantastic! I'm not hiring you untalented slobs for poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It feels like you're skidding in turns at first. I dunno, it's probably the same as regular sharpening.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Melting the end of a lace to fix it made my kids think I was a miracle worker this season.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Molded tip is the way to go.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

In our league we just scrimmage. What's lame is the refs take off. They're getting paid they should at least drop the drat puck.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

San Jose goons: my gear arrives in SJ next week. Anybody want a player?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I dunno. I'm pretty decent, not a beginner or a professional.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll say I'd probably be a useful player in C and a good player in D.

No one's going to confuse me for an OHLer or anything.

I can play wing or center, am a pass first playmaker and once went an entire D level season without being on ice for an even strength goal against.

My gear arrives tomorrow pick me pick me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

So Chemmy is joining my team, no more pretending to be good at hockey on the internet:smith:

Unless we both pretend to be good on the Internet...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You're not still in college are you?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

I'm 28:cool:

I'll be 28 in February! Maybe we're long lost brothers.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sba posted:

Petition to change this thread to "NorCal Hockey Bros"

Seconded. All the cool people moved out here.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

You will get new teammates and he will bug you to go grab a beer, make fun of the place you choose and then bail on you to make cheese

Your team sounds awesome. That guy rules.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You relax. Did you leave your car at the rink?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pleads posted:

I tape the full blade because the tape absorbs some of the abuse of the game and my sticks last longer so I don't have to spend more money on sticks.

This is why I tape the whole dumb stick. My main mode of stick failure is "blade wears out" so I make sure to protect it.

If I was an NHLer or incredibly rich I don't know if I'd bother taping it at all.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

Center is terrible, south is the best

The ice in the center rink is like wet sand.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

To be fair, it's a pretty nice bag once you get past the "FUNK OFF" branding.

quote:

FUNK OFF FAN FEATURE FORCES STANK AIR OUT OF BAG FROM SIDE AND CLEAN FRESH AIR FROM TOP FULL MESH PANEL FOR ULTIMATE AIR FLOW AND QUICKER DRYING TIME

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah, you look really awkward and I don't say that to be mean: it's hard to practice something in shoes that you'd do on skates.

Drive with your back leg, that's where the shot power is coming from. Try and flex the stick with your lower hand, the stick snapping back to being straight is how guys put power into a wrist shot.

I feel like you're kind of ducking, you drop straight down with your hips as you shoot. You should be pushing forward with everything you can. Explode through the shot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

What do you guys do when you get stuck on the bench for an extend period of time? Sometimes if we are rolling with 3 sets of wings and a penalty happens I could sit 4-6 minutes before I get back on the ice, how can I keep my legs fresh?

Note: it's normally poser who takes the penalty.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Teeter posted:

I think the major thing holding me back was being a pussy about going in to all of it alone but I have a friend who skated with me today that will also want to start playing, I'm just not sure if he's got the time or commitment for it down the road.

You'll make new friends by playing hockey and by definition they'll be interested in playing hockey with you.

Problem solved.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have Easton shin guards, I like them.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you play in a pro league or the OHL or something celebrate all you want.

Congrats on scoring a goal against a bunch of guys who play sports part time though, really rub it in their faces. Let 'em know.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Swimming across the ice on your stomach makes me think "guy scores all the time" for sure.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hockles posted:

Is there anything more embarrassing than losing the puck in the last and deciding round of a shootout to end the game.

One time in a friendly game with pals I was the sixth guy on the ice to replace our goalie. I grabbed the puck the other team had cleared and went to circle low in our zone to build up speed and start a rush.

I blew a tire and went into our net with the puck.

Welp.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My shoe size is 8.5 and I wear a 7 skate. This is pretty normal.

Is this your first pair of hockey skates? Go to a brick and mortar store and let someone help you try them on.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If your skate budget is $150 there'll be plenty of stuff you can afford even at a brick and mortar store.

Try on lots of brands: Bauer, CCM, Graf, etc. to see what fits you best.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The radius of a skate blade isn't what 1/2" or 5/8" refers to, that's the hollow.

This site is pretty good about explaining it all, if you're curious: http://noicingsports.com/skate_radius_profiling.html

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Vicas posted:

The wood extension to the top has dried in

It's normally glued in there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Vicas posted:

Yeah that was what I meant, poorly worded.

Anyhow, it should come out if you heat it up with a heat gun.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My six year old Bauer helmet had the lovely glue but the three I've bought since are all ok.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Topoisomerase posted:

This sets a really bad precedent that will cause somebody to eventually get seriously injured. In beer league hockey. Where nobody has learned to hit nor take a hit properly. It's really dangerous.

There's literally nothing worse than a ref who "lets them play" in beer league. One guy hits somebody, no call, tempers flare, it always gets out of hand.

It's so stupid.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sellouts posted:

If you can skate for 2 hrs you can skate for 1 hr during a league game. I would try upping the frequency of the skates rather than the duration to see if you can build strength or whatever in your feet?

I'm skating about four times a week right now and last weekend we had a 2.5 hour session on the ice. My feet were sore at the end, felt terrific to get my skates off.

Most people skate for under an hour at a time. xzzy is it sharp pains or dull ache? Do you have a family history of diabetes? Are you really heavy or anything else?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

Mostly a dull ache that sometimes turns into a "holy poo poo that hurts" ache. It generally seems to revolve around how tight I lace the skates, which sort of has me agreeing with the lace bite suggestions, but rather being on the top of my foot, it's on the outer edge just behind the pinky toe. It flares up really bad when I take the skates off because (I assume) pressure is being relieved and my nerves wake up.

I'm a type 1, so yes. :haw:

Skinny guy with a gut, so a bit heavy. 30-40 pounds or so.

Lace bite is from the laces cutting in to your foot as you skate, you don't get it on your pinky toe.

Foot pain is a pretty common diabetes symptom. I'd talk to your doctor about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

I did. He said "maybe you should stop skating." :geno:

Well that sucks. Not trying to be captain buzzkill or anything.

Have you tried gel insoles? Thicker socks?