Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Where do you Chicago folks like to go for open skating in the city? I was at Millennium Park earlier today and it was fun but I was pretty worried about wiping out and taking three small children with me. I'm awful at skating, so beginner adult class recommendations would be good too. I live in Wrigley with limited access to a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Welp a friend and I just signed up for beginner hockey classes in January.

Holy moly is gear expensive. Is there anything that’s better to buy new vs used? We need everything except shoulder pads.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Well I dropped a bunch of money this weekend on stuff. But now I have perhaps an insane question: what do I wear UNDER my hockey gear? Leggings? Do I need another shirt or can I get away with just a sports bra? How do I keep the socks up? etc.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Just left my first ever hockey class! It was extremely fun but holy gently caress am I terrible. Two questions:

When I try to stop, especially on my left side the skate, like, stutters? I do eventually stop (or just eat it) but this feels really unstable. Any tips? I also can’t stop at speed I just skate into the boards lol

Secondly, they had us doing a lot of balance drills (skating on one foot, getting down on one knee and getting up again). It always feels like I’m gonna fall on my face when they tell us to get lower and I don’t know where on my foot or where I should have my booty/torso to be balanced correctly.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Anyone have any good videos/guides for how to learn crossovers? The vids I've found (and in class) they just do the inside edge stepping drill and then suddenly, crossovers. I can do the stepping over part but I don't get any power with whichever foot that's crossing under, it just glides forward or I fall.

Also, there's a bunch of fairly good players in my beginner class (the coach lets the intermediate guys join our class too if they pay for it). It's pretty intimidating when half of us can't even really skate backwards and these giant dudes are skating circles around us during drills.

taco show fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 27, 2020

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

We scrimmaged in my beginner hockey class last night and I still can’t do crossovers at all but I got two assists!

I also need to get my skates resharpened and I heard that making it shallower (to 1/2) will make it easier to find my edges?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Guys I did like five crossovers in both directions today without falling at stick and puck and I got props from the actual good players I see every week and never talk to :kiddo:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I found an outdoor rink that doesn’t lock up at night. :ninja: The problem I’m having is I can’t seem to lift the puck off the ice at all- shooting, passing, nothing.

I was in a class until covid stopped everything and we hadn’t gotten to stick handling yet heh. Any tips? Good videos?

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I have a P88 so I guess I gotta learn it the hard way. I did find the How To Hockey stuff so I'll grab a bucket of pucks this week try it out. Thanks y'all.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I got vaccinated and signed up for 3v3 hockey (starting in May). The rink that's running it though just had four players from my friend's (regular) team + the scorekeeper + one of their boyfriends + a bartender all catch Covid. smh

The city I'm in is opening up vaccinations for the general population soon so hopefully this will become less of an issue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

So that rink I talked about earlier - they were the epicenter for a 50 person outbreak across all leagues so who knows what’s gonna happen now. Maybe I’ll never get to play hockey 🤷🏻‍♀️

In case I DO eventually get to play I’ve been getting mixed reviews on shoulder pads for women or if I can get away with men’s? I’m usually loathe to buy women’s only stuff because it’s usually more expensive for the same functionality... but if it makes a real difference I’d spring for it. The stores around here don’t carry them so I’d be ordering blind. Thoughts?