Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This is a great thread. For something that is as personal as equipment choice is this does a really good job of explaining everything. The skate info alone should help anyone needing new skates.

Do Mission even make skates anymore? My pair is coming up on 10 years old (maybe older) so it might be time to try something new.

Bewbies do you know of a good place to repalm gloves? I've got a pair of Eagle H34s that I don't want to lose but have a hole in the palm the size of a puck and I'm tired of being that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've had my Tackla 9000s for over 10 years now and I've never had any problem with taking falls in adult league or getting leveled in full contact hockey. They've always been my favorite part of my gear along with my gloves.

I'm fully of the belief that you spend the money once on a good product and it'll last you as many beer league seasons as you want. I'm sure people will disagree though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't see anything dumb about it. 1 hand over the junk and it's all good.

Play in a league with players who shoot harder. One will find it's way through.

Blocking shots via any method is like driving a motorcycle. It's not a question of if you'll get hurt, it's a question of when. I'm not blaming anyone for trying it, but yeah.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aggro posted:

In every league I've played it, whether it be a B league or DD, I see guys going down to block shots. It's part of hockey -- why wouldn't you do it? I mean, I play in a B league where dudes can elevate some fairly hard slapshots. I'd rather give up my body than hang my goalie out to dry -- I just make sure to cover my throat.

Because some of us have to go to work in the morning and don't want to limp around all day or spend a bunch more of our own money on a doctors visit on top of the insane league fees we already pay?

I spent years blocking shots, I'm over it. Any league I play in is a beer league and not blocking a shot isn't the end of the world. There's enough risk with idiots on the ice already.

For the record I actually think keeping your chin low to cover your throat is more important than a hand over your cup.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

they're having a massive used gear sell-off at the rink this week.

This is a great time to get all sorts of weird pattern sticks that you can fall in love with and never be able to find again! ( RIP my Theo Fleury post 2nd rehab pro stock synergy :(). Also a good time to get any other tough as poo poo pro stock equip.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 17, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was responding to the quoted question of why would I [block shots], but your comparison is true. I don't think you're being a db if you go to block shots, but you're right in saying you deserve what you get from it.

I can't tell if it's the fact people have worn cages all their life or that they started playing hockey later in life that causes them to keep their sticks high. I think it's more how long you've been playing and if you've ever had real coaching that determines it more as it just seems to be a bigger problem at lower levels of adult hockey. Both probably have something to do with it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

Has anyone ever skated on the stuff? Is there any chance it will replace the real thing and some point down the line?

You're a witch and should be burned.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyguy posted:

Ya'll don't even know how excited I am that not only I found a pair of these, but that they're on the way to me.

I do, I have the H34s which are the same tan color, just with no black accents. Just all tan.

The best.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think it's been said in the thread, but these shooting mats are nothing but HDPE, yeah?

I've sourced a guy in SoCal that has 48"x96" sheets for $40 + shipping. Seems like a very good price. Just want to make sure it's what i need before I order it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Glad I was able to facilitate you using that lmgtfy link.

I googled it beforehand but trust the people in this thread more than a google result when it comes to selling what amounts to a gimmicky training device for a sport. Too much bogus information and I've never had the problem of not having ice time often enough to practice until recently.

Ace I'll let you know, I think it's in Orange County.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I officiated a game that was 36-0 once.

To be fair, they were mites and didn't listen to the coach yelling that they needed to pass 5 times before shooting.

The parents of the team up 36 yelled at me when I sent their only offsides down the ice as an intentional because the game was so out of hand and I wanted to give the other team a shot at putting one in. Being an official is terrible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

coldwind posted:

Taking a high shot is perfectly legitimate (assuming he wasn't TRYING to cause injury), even if it's not the smartest hockey move.

It makes you a gigantic dildo in some (most) leagues, though. Especially if the skill level is high enough for the average player to not take a shot that increases potential for injury and has a 0% chance of going through.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

poser posted:

I have back to back games on Sunday, any suggestions for good between games?

Drink

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No 5th hatty for me,

You should really move up a division or two, no?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also, the Labatt Blue/USA Hockey Pond Hockey Championship registrations are open. It looks like a fun time.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=PL_04&ID=13084&USAHockeyType=ICE

Sign up early if you are planning on playing, I waited a few weeks last year and was shut out of all divisions we were eligible for.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds like your dman was the third man into the altercation, wether he threw a punch or was just grappling with a guy. The rule only defines when someone intervenes as being third man in.

Kinda sucks they didn't tag the guy throwing punches with an instigator or note it in the report, though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

toxicsunset posted:

Thats exactly what they called. It's just bullshit though because if the refs arent gonna break it up, and the guy doesnt wanna fight back so he can avoid a suspension, are we really supposed to just have everyone stand around and let him get wailed on?

Basically, yeah. If the guy is down in a turtle position and the instigator is over the top of him wailing or whatever, then yeah, the officials should jump in. Most of my experiences in dealing with these situations is that while the other guy ('victim') might not do much (which is rare in and of itself) he does stay on his feet and try to "man up" and take it rather than actually trying to skate away or turtle. That kind of position is dangerous for officials to jump into because who knows when the victim will see his chance to start returning punches, especially if the officials start to restrain the instigator and the victim can get a few shots in.

But usually at the very least there's a shove or something though by the "victim" that, while not a punch, isn't exactly trying to diffuse the situation.

I don't know what happened in your specific case and it's entirely possible that the dude is 100% innocent. Fights in adult league are pathetic for everyone.

gco posted:

I understand the 3rd man in rule is to prevent other players from getting involved, but if the Lines aren't doing their job controlling the situation, I don't see why someone stepping in to do their job for them should be punished.

What beer league do you play in that has linesmen? Fighting isn't part of beer league (or it shouldn't be) so if a beer league did have linesmen, they certainly don't get paid enough to deal with that level of nonsense from adults.

If anything, the criticism would be the referee's not calling a tight enough game to stop this before it happens. Again, most of the times, there are plenty of signs that a game is heading down that road either during the game or from previous games. Not always, but most of the time.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 21, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

gco posted:

Wow, that's weird. Some of the leagues I've seen around here have two linesmen and a ref. I'll agree that officials don't get paid enough to deal with the poo poo that they have to from experience. I've never reffed over pee-wees, but I've noticed some kids can be very nasty learning from enforcers in the NHL. They (with the adults included) must think the're scouts in the stands and want to show that they're Tough Hockey Players.

Yeah, I've never played in an adult game (non tournament) with linesmen and referees. But I also play in poo poo hockey markets (TX and CA), so maybe in other places it's better.

And I hear ya about refereeing kids games. I thought being an official would be a great way to get some free skating in and get a little cash on the side -- yeah, I didn't last 2 years. Between parents and coaches, the kids were the least annoying.

I think my breaking point was when a coach complained in a Mite game about me calling an intentional offsides on a team that was up 27-0 and wouldn't stop shooting just to give the other team a chance to maybe put a puck on the net once.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

I am trying to learn how to inline skate and hopefully start playing ice hockey eventually.

Just go straight to ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Been a while since I've learned how to hockey stop, hope I'm explaining it right...

Put your weight in the toes, then when you think you've got it, put even more weight there, especially if you come from rollerblades. Keep your knees bent a lot. Practice standing still and scraping the ice with one foot from your feet together to the outside using your inside edge. Keep the weight on the foot that isn't scraping. Try not to bend your waist.

Some people recommend taking this motion and going into the snowplow which is keeping knees bent and pointing your toes together while moving forward and eventually turning 90 degrees into one of your skates and putting the full weight into one of the "plows". I never did that, but rather just took the standing still snowplow with one foot and practice turning 90 degrees while snowplowing, to give the feel of putting more weight into the plowing motion. Then added movement. Fall down. Repeat for what seems like forever. Then one day you feel confident, so you try going faster, then you fall down again. Etc...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

In related news I just had an appendectomy so I'm out for a couple of weeks, probably. :(

Better now than in February, amigo. Glad you're feeling better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anyone have any recommendations on pants?

Tackla Tackla Tackla

You should get Tackla

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://deadspin.com/5829748/get-to-know-a-comic-you-probably-dont-know-david-walton

Possibly the funniest and most true thing ever written on the internet.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So I'm looking at the Air 9000Z Tackla pants based upon this thread's recommendations. Anyone have this specific pair and love or hate them? Sounds like a good 30th (:smith:) birthday present to myself.

I currently wear cheap-o Missions, so pretty much anything is an improvement.

They own. I got my rear end decked in midget & high school play and never got hurt in them. Also blocked a shitload of shots back when I had to and never felt anything. They fit well and they've lasted forever.

I've had them 12 years and they still rule. I'm sure they've made minor updates but mine look generally the same. I think bewbies has these as well, but maybe I'm crazy.

And I skate barefoot because I got a pair of skates back when baking them was a "new" thing or whatever and the guy said it was an option. It kept my feet cooler and I never had anything but normal socks that always bunched up and were uncomfortable.

When I skate in the pond hockey tournament this year in February (sup again, bewbies) I will probably have to wear socks for the first time and I'm a little worried about it.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 13, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/theticker/entries/2011/08/12/chaparral_ice_could_close_this.html

A very sad day for ice hockey in central Texas if/when the I-35 location shuts down. One of the best adult ice hockey communities (emphasis on community). I can't understand them pouring money into a second ice sheet only to sell the place to a commercial developer who in turn will not use it as an ice rink.

Made several life long friends there and was a place that I could go back to 3+ years later, buy an hour of ice, and a few emails later have a 2 full teams for an excellent pick up game of friends and friends of friends and even more people stopping by the bar afterwards. Terrible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

I just got an email about a pretty sweet deal from the Predators:

Get an hour of icetime at Bridgestone arena plus 40 tickets to a weekday preds game for $1000. I bet playing on the big-time ice would be fun.

This is an incredible deal.

Playing in a huge rink is pretty awesome. Realize though that you'll be changing in the referees room if you're lucky or in the bowels of the arena and there probably won't be benches. Not a big deal at all but something to remember.

When I played at Staples Center after a Kings game it was great, but old Reunion Arena when we played in high school they didn't have the full air circulation for the building running so it was really hot on the ice. Then after an Austin Ice Bats game we changed in a doublewide trailer and had to walk outside in 90 degree heat to get into the arena :clint: . I remember at one point it got really foggy

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

trilljester posted:

So when is the right time to make the move? Right before they are in stick range?

How quick and good is your move vs how slow is he? It all really depends. Generally the least amount of time & space you can give him to react and still be successful is when you make the move. Or if you see him make a mistake in positioning, skating or stickwork, that's a great time to make a move. Really helpful, I know...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you play with D who understand what a 45-60 second shift feels like instinctively it's really not that bad. If they are whiners about ice time or like to stay out there for 2-3 min at a time, you 4D is probably better.

For me, I don't whine about ice time if everyone is sprinting when they're out there. When people aren't hustling, it sucks for those that still have the energy to, and usually the people who would whine about ice time are the ones who don't hustle past the 2nd period.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Who cares what other people think. It's pick up. We've all been there before at some age. Go do it.

Edit: also, you'll probably make the day of whoever was the worst guy at pickup, which will later be repaid to you once you've gotten some pick up experience by the next guy who shows up in the same shape you were at your first pickup.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

As a follow-up and separate point to the last post, I am on my way to level 1 USA Hockey officiating certification. I passed the open-book portion of the examination a couple weeks ago and will be attending a seminar/clinic this upcoming weekend to complete the closed-book and on-ice portions of the exam.

That's Dr. Zebra to you thx.

Enjoy mite parents, they are worse than the worst beer league bench you've ever seen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

I've coached peewees before, and played through from mite to midget, so I know quite well. It'll be fun. :cool:

I actually would like to get into coaching, how did you do it? The leagues I played bantam and midget in are about 1200 miles away so I don't know anyone involved in youth hockey out here and their websites are less than helpful.

Also, Rob Blake is an assistant mite coach out here so I'm thinking they're probably full of volunteers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did you do the USA Hockey level 1 seminar or whatever?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace you're a SoCal hockey player, right?

Have you ever heard the IceAngeles league played out of the Harbor City rink near Torrence?

Thinking of checking it out -- anything to avoid Toyota Sports Center.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas posted:

Yeah I heard of it but there really isn't much info on it on their site, and I haven't had a chance to call the guy yet and ask how it works, if there is just a FA list, a draft skate or if you just need to find someone. I've been trying to get down there for a pick up but the times haven't been working out for me.

I'll actually be at the TSC tomorrow for their Stick/Puck at 1245 unless I decide to hit up Glacial Gardens at 1050.

I learned to skate at the Skating Edge (Harbor City Rink) when I was a kid but I haven't been there in 10 years so I don't know if they've fixed the ice.

When I officiated there a few seasons ago I would put the ice below TSC but above Pickwick rink in Burbank.

If you find out info let me know. I am going to try contacting them as well

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

How durable are the RBK socks? I've been wearing knit socks but I shred a pair every few months, I figure if the Reeboks last twice as long I'll break even on the cost.

They last about half the time of the knit socks in my experience

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

SWEAT

PANTS

banned from the last 2 leagues I've played in or subbed for. I'll wear em at the tournament though, seems like the best way to stay warm when you're playing outside

sellouts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 31, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dumb league rulebook posted:

UNIFORMS
19.1. All players must have a Home (WHITE) and Away (DARK) matching team jersey.
19.1.a. Color and patterns must be the same.
19.1.a.xviii. Jersey crests are optional.
19.1.b. All players must have an assigned number (no duplicates with another player) that is
permanently attached on the back.
19.1.b.xix. Tape or markers are not allowed
19.1.c. All players must wear color-coordinated socks.
19.1.c.xx. Sweat pants are not allowed

So basically "we are a classy establishment that has matching uniforms" (too many players skate with their head down and everyone looks the same lol)

So yeah, if your team has a Toronto jerseys you can't just get a blue plain practice jersey. I was drafted on a team that had Maine jerseys once, that was fun to track down.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

poser posted:

That is lame and awesome at the same time none of my teams ever match:smith:

This is the actual reason for the rule. Basically it's an old boys league who have teams that have been around forever that register as one team instead of individuals and want to play "this is a serious team!!!", so they buy 1 set of socks and are set for several seasons. They don't give a gently caress about the cost/difficulty of a new player joining the team (they actually like that it's harder to get into the league I'm sure) and they don't care if a new team joins as a draft team (all new players) who have to decide on a jersey, order it, then the money is wasted the next season when that bunch of random players didn't gel together and the team dissolves or the good players get picked off by already established teams.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Minister Robathan posted:

The way I've always seen this kind of thing done is only a couple of players that know they'll be playing together a while buy the jerseys, everyone buys their own socks, and a couple of guys that, know they'll be team captains or whatever and know they'll be playing together for a while buy the rest of the set. Then, the other guys "rent" the jerseys, at a reduced rate, so that way it's not like the entire set is wasted right away.

That's the way it works when teams are organized. One team I played on did that and it was cool. The other teams all had jerseys "walk away" with old players and oops, we need you to buy a new one (season starts on saturday), or you can try calling this complete stranger and see if he picks up (his line is disconnected) and if you can drive 40 miles in the opposite direction to pick up his unwashed, abused jersey (he isnt home when you show up at the agreed upon time or he can't find the jersey anyways but swears it was in his bag).

Playing for teams out here has almost killed my will to play beer league.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

So CCM has a "Crazy Ovi" stick out that purports to be an authentic Ovechkin curve. It's...pretty curvy.

And I thought Sakic's pattern was unusable. That looks terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I honestly prefer leagues that are individual registrations and a giant draft every season amongst the leagues captains. It's a bit random who you will get on your team but captains seemed to pick like minded players and for the most part teams seemed to stay somewhat similar.

This also helped with the machismo and dirty play bullshit because after a few seasons in the league you kind of knew and played with at least a few guys on the other teams, which helps defuse situations. Much more community focused. Lots of cross locker room beer drinking after games.

Also helped releave captains of the money side of roster management which I always think is completely unfair.

Also this helps with player skill as the people who sandbag in lower levels will get drafted into the higher leagues but if you're on the bubble they will ask you beforehand if you're comfortable moving up.