Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
our rink has been more or less open, and they're doing a really good job of keeping stuff clean. i'm unconcerned.

also my kid just finished a baseball season without incident and all enjoyed themselves, especially the kid on the winning team who was apparently a sophomore in high school playing with 12 and 13 year olds (wtf?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you guys have.... evaluations??

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i have a game on sunday! woo!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i played an actual hockey game! it was lots of fun

we only had 5 skaters and of course we're matched up against the team that consists mostly of ex pros. we pretty much just played halo around the net and our goalie stood on his head, and they just...couldn't score. they were getting progressively more and more pissed off, and a bunch of them clearly switched back from beer league to competitive hockey mode as they got more and more irritated they couldn't score. they finally got one halfway through the third, then another. then we got one off some idiot dildo failed saucer pass, and had a 2 on 0 with like 15 seconds left...with out two defensemen, who are not exactly scoring whizzes (the fact that it was our defensemen who got away on this 2 on 0 should tell you about the condition of the forwards at that point).

i had to play center the whole time and won maybe 5 faceoffs the whole game

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i added about 100 lbs to my bench press over covid and am absolutely a worse hockey player for it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
those are almost certainly not bakeable, just gotta wear em

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
usually skates with "memory foam" are not bakeable. I'd double check any instructions or whatever came with them before you put them in the oven.

edit - looks like it is only the footbed? I dunno. it won't hurt anything to try at least.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 8, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
jfc can you guys feel those things wobbling back and forth when you're stickhandling

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
meanwhile, on my team, we routinely have races to get to the bench and cursing the guy who beats you there, because we're all so exhausted and we want off the god drat ice

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I went out last night to the local "hockey bar" with a couple of teammates, one of whom spent a couple of years playing for the local ECHL concern a while back.

so we are sitting there doing our thing and in comes some guy who was wearing my buddy's jersey from back in the day. my buddy goes up to him and asks, without telling him who he is, if he'd like for him to sign the jersey. instead of being friendly or at least cordial, the dude got all offended and righteous at the idea of someone defacing his aging AA hockey sweater and thus missed the opportunity of a lifetime

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
is that more or less lame than having a big picture of sellouts on your jersey

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we all are.

in here

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MN4Gy55Kng

not sure where to start with this

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bigbillystyle posted:

drat. They actually make masks like that that are intended for use? Or was that guy just totally taking his life in his hands with a novelty goalie mask? It doesn't look like anybody in that group had a 90mph shot but I still wouldn't want to take one in the face. Had some awesomely aggressive kick saves though which I enjoyed.

with those shooters dude probably would've been just fine without a mask

i played with a guy years ago who still wore his old-timey mask. he played AAA-level back in the early 80s and wore one of these numbers: https://www.hockeymasks.com/details.html?msk=67#67 (that site says their masks are just as game ready as their predecessors btw)

which i think is now technically illegal but whatever, the dude was old and was not changing his ways

anyway he always said that mask protected him better than the cage ones, which may well have been true before they started using carbon fiber and crap.

i hit him in the face with a slapper once and he was unimpressed

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
that's probably worse actually

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven't worn either shoulder pads or cage for going on 20 years now and have never been injured due to a lack of either but apparently suffer from some manner of mental illness

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

titanium posted:

Saturday night was a pretty amazing experience!

so were you praying the goalies got hurt or that they stayed healthy?

i think i would be the latter

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use Phil Kessels sticks

poorly

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

What's it like to play with pool noodles?

they're actually 85 flex, maybe he started lifting weights or something

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
mattias norlinder and his big dick 1 1/4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
its been forever since I actually looked at hockey gear, I thought it was interesting that the newest vapors basically look like direct ripoffs of True skates, and are also several hundred dollars cheaper than they used to be

competition is good folks