Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Great thread. I just have one question, am I Zdeno Chara? You did not answer this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

bewbies posted:

Heads up to anyone on the market for skates: Bauer is preparing to release a new line of Vapor skates, and as a result just about everywhere has cut the price of the current Vapor line by between $100-200 depending on the pair. Great time to pick them up.

I will grow a 110 flex if the RX60's go on sale.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Anyone have an opinion on helmets regarding concussions? There have been a wave of players who have been wearing the Cascade M11 after coming back from concussions but I've heard skeptics abound regarding their research. Their helmets are designed to be ultra-flexible (you can almost bend them in half with your hands) rather than stiff like most helmets. I've heard opinions where those are only beneficial for big hits from NHL players. It's a relatively new helmet so there isn't really a lot of data, empirical or otherwise. I'm considering that or the Bauer 9900 which is the more traditional helmet.

I've had a few hockey related concussions and recently took a very bad one from a hiking accident. Almost any hit to the head causes concussion symptoms for me now so I don't even know if a helmet really is going to make a difference.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Everybody plays and falls differently. If you happen to repeatedly have this bruise from the way you skate/fall/stop it probably wouldn't hurt to get some pants with more protection in that area. Guys that block shots are going to want better shin pads than guys that don't.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Aniki posted:

I've heard that some pros with concussion problems will use bicycle foam in their helmets. It does a good job of absorbing energy, but it does so at the cost of destroying the foam. NHL players can afford to do this, but it probably isn't realistic for a beer leaguer. You could possibly contact Phil Maltese and see what he thinks about outfitting a player helmet with his gel padding.

What materials are players helmets made out of these days? Are they still using ABS (platic) or is there anyone using kevlar or carbon fibre? I know that the type of impacts that goalies take to the mask are different than what players experience, so I don't know if you would want an ultra rigid and strong helmet that deflects impacts or if a more flexible helmet designed to compress and absorb the impact would be better.

Is there any such thing as a custome helmet maker? The closest I've seen is a guy that recreates the old SK2000 masks, but using kevlar and carbon fibre.

The majority of helmets use an EPP foam liner which is pretty stiff with padded liners that touch the head. This is what I have now in an older Bauer model (top of the line at the time).

The Cascade has a (very) flexible outer plastic shell with their honeycomb foam directly touching the head. You can bend that helmet in half with your hands, but obviously its a different reaction with a solid head inside. There doesn't seem to be a consensus that this is a better solution. We can only notice that NHL'ers dealing with concussions have started using this helmet.

Easton also has their S19 which has a nearly indestructible ultra stiff outer shell with very limited padding on the inside. It's made of the same material as motorcycle helmets.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Cheezymadman posted:

I don't play hockey very often because there's nobody in my area that plays (smalltown Ohio) but I'm a member of a hockey forum that has an annual meet-up roller game, so I bought a used pair of skates online.

The problem is that I wear a 13 shoe, and finding skates that fit was hard as hell. I ended up with a used pair of 12D Missions, but they still seem too small. When I skate for any length of time, my arches throb and it hurts to walk when I take the skates off. Any idea what could be causing that?

It usually helps a little if I wrap my instep and arches with tape before I start skating, but then as soon as I take the tape off, it hurts to walk again.

Try grabbing a pair of really thin hockey liners/socks. That can make the difference of about a half to full size over a pair of bulky cotton socks. Under Armour makes them for multiple sports if you can't find the hockey specific ones.

Similarly insoles like super feet can make up another half to full skate size too but I don't know if you want to drop $30+ for a once annual event.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

gigabitnokie posted:

I think I have the same UA hockey socks you're talking about and they are awesome. I used to like playing in dress socks because they were the thinnest socks I owned but these UAs are just sublime.

sockchat.

I've never had a blister since I started using them. New skate or not.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I had a few posts throughout the thread whining about my lack of goal scoring since December. Last game of the season, I had about 5-6 beers beforehand. I go out and score 2 goals in one period. I felt so much more loose out there on my skates and was beating people to pucks constantly. I may have to make this a habit...

Should have had 9 beers. You would have gotten the hat trick.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Breaking in new skates is awful :cry:

Wear them around the house for a couple hours per day while you watch TV.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

poser posted:

You know whats awesome? using a ringer goalie in the playoffs

Oh man, this reminds me of my best intramural ball hockey stories. I was playing on a team with some Computer Science tutors in the lowest division. We had a few good athletes and some not so good ones. There was one team that was absolutely stacked and should have been playing in the top (A) tier instead of the C/Co-ed tier. The best part is that they were all total douchebags all year long, berating players and refs and being overly physical with guys using the plastic sticks provided by the school.

Well turns out one of our d-men was actually a goalie in a pretty high level ice league. As this intramural division was supposed to be just for fun, he was playing out all year, but since we had finished in last place and had to play our good friends in the first round, he decided to play in net.

The game was an absolute war and you could imagine their surprise to be trailing by a goal in the dying minutes after blowing out every team in the regular season. With about 30 seconds left in the game, one of their guys who I'm battling in front of the net has a gift wrapped tap in goal to tie it up. With my stick out of position I reach down and just grab his stick with my hand and refuse to let go as he's trying to shake me off. Our goalie recovers position freezes the ball and the ref deservedly calls a holding-the-stick penalty.

The guy I was battling flips out, "HE WAS HOLDING MY STICK!!! WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT!" "Yeah, and I got a penalty". They couldn't do anything in the final 30 seconds of the game and we got an ovation from every other team in our division who had stuck around to watch this game play out.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

Can someone describe how learning crossovers should "feel"? My skate instructor is about 90 pounds wet, and can somehow completely swap her feet standing still, both blades parallel and on the ice.

I'm a lot more heavily built (5'10" and 220) and can only get one foot in front of the other before my leg gets in the way and I either have to twist a foot or push the rear foot backwards to make room. Both of these seem like bad ideas.

Her advice isn't bad.. she's had me improving balance by bracing on the boards and keeping my toes straight, etc. I certainly see some marginal improvement. But I think she just has no concept of what it's like to have thick legs and looks confused when I say I can't push my foot any further.

Do I just gotta get skinnier legs? Is a technique thing I gotta sort out? Is there a difference in feel between hockey skates and figure skates?

Squat lower. NHL players have huge legs but they also have a very wide and low stance.

edit: leaning on the boards won't teach you how to skate. Get one of those skate assist bar thingies and skate with that. If your rink doesn't have them, get a chair, hold onto the back rest and push that around the ice. It will force you to get lower and pretty much puts you in the correct skating position.

bigmike fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 13, 2011

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

shyguy posted:

I hate when that happens. What's worse is when they won't even resurface it at all after a figure skating practice. Divots galore.

Try playing after sledge hockey. Only time I've ever literally tripped over the blue line.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Lawnie posted:

i play with someone who wears those i think. he's kind of a weenie.

You should beat him up and take them because those are like thousand dollar skates.

Or at least laugh at him for being a weenie and buying thousand dollar skates.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You aren't kidding. The closest one to where I work is like 12 miles away. I am seriously considering changing jobs just to be closer to a rink.

I can literally step out my front door, lay on the ground and roll down a hill and be at an arena with 3 rinks. I'm not joking either when I say I would pass a Tim Horton's on the way there. :canada:

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

I bought my second pair of skates in 4 months tonight

and I thought I had it bad replacing skates every year.

I just bought my last pair of inline skates. And by that I mean that if these go to poo poo I'm just doing ice to inline conversions after this. There is so much awesome selection in ice skates and the inline choices just suck comparatively.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Cheap gear falls apart quicker. Start with the cheap stuff and as it wears down and needs replacing, buy better stuff if you want it. Over time, if you end up playing a lot of hockey, you'll end up with all nice gear. I don't think its really necessary to start with high end stuff. The difference between the high end stuff and low end stuff is build quality and extra protection or padded flaps in certain areas. Until you've taken a chop in that specific area and want that extra padding, there's no sense in paying twice the price for something.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I bought a shooting pad, a goal, and ten pucks this week for like 200 bucks shipped. I'm gonna spend my whole summer at home shooting every day to try to get better.

gotta get to that gladwell 10000000000 hours or whatever it is so i can go pro

Do the Matt Duchene Shootout Challenge.

I'd love to have a setup so I could try this out.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

poser posted:

I have back to back games on Sunday, any suggestions for good between games?

Coconut water. It's all natural, perfect for replenishing electrolytes and has more potassium than a banana. It can come flavored but will be more expensive than gatorade. It'll be the same price at Whole Foods as you would pay for a gatorade from a rink vending machine though.

Alizee posted:

I think I will be going with a full cage. Every cool bro bone in my body says get a visor, but I'd rather be cool 95% of the day with my face looking nice and my eye sight being good than be cool 100% of the time and then get a puck in my face and look like a troll. :)

Visors protect better than you think they do. They sit very close to your face and come really far down. I've been high-sticked countless times and the stick always catches on the visor. Not that you can't get hit in the jaw, but it would take almost a perfect scenario for a stick blade or puck to make its way up there and hit you in the eye, and even then, your orbital will still do a drat good job of protecting your actual eyeball.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Alizee posted:

But what if I get a puck in the mouth and it ruins my charming smile :qq:

Mouthguard. They work too. About the worst facial injury I've had was taking a slapshot off the visor. The visor got pushed into my face and the lower edge split my lip wide open. It was so hard that there was a gash in the rubber of my mouthguard. My face and teeth were fine, but I did have to go to the hospital after the game for some stitches on my lip.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

This is how my league was won last season.

Once the playoffs started, they brought a bunch of their players from the "A" team a league above. Most of them never played a game in my scrub league. Even during the championship they swapped out players from the bleachers between periods. One guy gets a hatty in the third to win it all. Retarded.

Apparently it wasn't the first time they did it either and I'm fully expecting it to happen again when the playoffs start in a month or so.

I don't get why the league allows this. Every league I play in forces players to play a minimum of about a third to half of the season to be eligible for playoffs. There's also restrictions on having players from higher divisions.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

D C posted:

Also can always tell the 'roller daddies' on ice because they pick up the toe of their inside foot while turning.

Yeah, even funner is when I step down on that toe for balance and collapse like someone just chopped my leg off.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

With inline skates, the front wheel's usuable surface comes all the way around to pretty much the toe of your boot, whereas in ice, your blade is just what's parallel to the ground.

Since sharp edges aren't as sure footed in roller as they are in ice, a lot of the time if I'm making a sharp turn with my outside foot, I'll hang the inside foot with my toe facing straight down for an added bit of balance (taking some of the weight off the turning foot).

This isn't necessary or even possible in ice, but it's a habit I developed over a decade of roller (and not playing much ice). I've been playing ice again for a couple years now and don't do it any more but for the first couple months it happened a lot.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Just a heads up to people considering Superfeet with new skates, which I love, that since they support your arches, your toes will pull back a bit and you can probably get away with a half size smaller skate than you had before.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

If you think you had a severe concussion, you might want to take it easy for a few days. It's possible that symptoms might not rise up for days or even weeks.

Just over a year ago I got caught in a small rock slide and was struck in the head by a ~200 pound boulder (ricochet thankfully otherwise I'd be dead). I dealt with concussion problems for over a year, including every symptom you can imagine. If it becomes a real issue for you over the next few weeks, PM me and I can let you know the things that made the biggest difference for me.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Mr. Chupon posted:

Does everyone else have a go-to move on breakaways? I was thinking about this reading the Fransie awards on the Backhand Shelf blog.

Backhand Shelf is what I aim for 99% of the time unless there's a hole too big not to shoot at or I'm coming in at a bad angle.

Fake shot, deke, five hole. This move is especially deadly in roller hockey where goalies can't slide side to side. You want to sell that you're going to deke them wide and then tuck it in five hole once it opens up. It's all about timing and looks like the cheekiest goal ever when you pull it off. Another good thing about this versus pulling it wide is that you're never going to gently caress it up and miss the net - you'll always get the shot off. Until you can pull the backhand shelf deke off with Burrows-life consistency, this is a sick move to master. This really should be in every beer-leaguer's repertoire as it requires very little shooting power, accuracy or speed. It's all about timing and patience. A guy on my Div 1 team that led the league in scoring uses this move all the time, especially coming in from bad angles, and he has one of the best wrists shots in the league. He does this on EVERY breakaway, the goalies always know its coming and they still can't stop it. If they try to cheat five hole at all, it just leaves a wide open net far side. It's automatic for him. Once you figure it out it feels almost too easy.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Coincidentally I had 7 breakaways or clean 1 on 0's in my game tonight. Thought I'd share my trip report.

- coming from my off wing, I cut to my forehand and shot back across the short side and hit the post
- took a pass in the slot, pulled it backhand, hit the post
- clean breakaway, forehand backhand, five hole, goal. Didn't try to fake the shot, just tried to make the move as quick as possible
- clean breakaway, pucks starts rolling, shoot high glove, goal
- join a one on on late, get the pass, quick shot five hole, goal
- two on one, went through the defender and then felt bad that I hadn't passed the puck so after dekeing backhand I drop passed the puck right into my linemate's feet, no goal. Weird play, should have just shot.
- tried the forehand backhand five hole move and the goalie stopped it

My teammates bug me that I'll get ten breakaways a game and only score once or twice, which is usually pretty true but I'm starting to get the hang of it. This is my first season playing forward and as a defenseman you maybe get one or two chances like that a game and if you miss you think about it all week. As a forward, getting them so often, I'm a lot calmer now and I think I'm making better plays.

This is the most fun I've had playing hockey in a long time, don't know I've been suckered into playing D all these years!

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Defense is an important position and you have to make sure that the other team doesn't score first and then you can score because the best offense is a good defense I hate you :smith:

I still play D for my div 1 team. I get how unappreciated a shutdown D is. A goal prevented is the same as a goal scored, but one gets significantly less high fives.

I just thought it would be a nice change of pace to play forward for my div 3 team. It's interesting seeing the game from such a different perspective. I've also realized that I'm probably a little too demanding on my forwards' defensive positioning when I'm playing D. There's a LOT more skating and you get caught out of position - it just happens. I'm enjoying forward a lot more than I thought I would. It definitely helps that my speed which can barely keep up with guys in Div 1 can blow past everyone in Div 3.

Someone posted a youtube video a couple months back about double faking (either showing pass, faking shot then going with the pass; or showing shot, faking pass and shooting). Essentially since you've already seen your target from your first option, when you fake, you'll still know where that target is when you switch again. (Sorry for the lovely explanation) Anyways, I've been working on that for a while and tonight I had a 2 on 1 and was looking shot the whole way and at the last second looked to pass, but still shot on net. The goalie totally cheated to the pass and I ended up having such a wide open net, I hit the middle bar. It ended up being the game winner. Pretty awesome feeling to work on something and then pull it off in game. Thanks goons.

If anyone has any more scoring tips/youtube videos, keep posting away. There was another one about pulling the puck in close just before shooting and that move's been golden for me too.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Seconding the RBK 5K bag recommendation. They're awesome and have lots of pockets for towels and accessories.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Loqieu posted:

I played the #1 team twice in the past week. They always run plays in our zone where the puck carrier switches places with one of the other forwards to confuse our defensive coverage. Any suggestions with to do against this? So far we've continued to play our zone coverage, but frequently that leaves the puck carrier with more speed than the d-man and he can get a shot off. Is it better to do man-to-man coverage in this scenario?

If it's ice, you obviously need help from your center to put back pressure. If it's roller, it can be tricky. I've played div 1 for years and constantly have discussions with my d partner about how to handle specific plays when the forwards cross.

The key is communication and how and when you "pass off" the puck carrier to your D partner. Just in the way great forwards know where their linemates are, good D partners will understand when to step up and when to make the switch.

You definitely want to stick with the zone approach. My suggestion would be to be as aggressive as you can based on their skill level. You don't want to get beat cleanly where they can make a heads up play where they have a 2 on 1 down low. I usually try to bait guys into taking an outside bad angle shot. I'll cheat to everything inside so it looks like there's a big juicy lane on the outside. When they go for that, I'll attack the lane taking away the pass and their ability to cut inside.

I'm okay conceding an outside bad angle shot. Maybe 1time in 20 they'll shelf it but I can live with that.

When you have two guys crossing over, just stay on your side. Challenge the puck carrier as long as he's on your side. When he crosses, press him a bit to make things tough, pass him off and make sure you cut hard back to the other guy to take away his passing option (especially a back door play).

If you have two guys coming down on the same wing, you just KNOW one of them will cut across. Communicate and have the far side D yell who he's going to cover. Talk to your partner on the ice so he knows what you're going to do and then talk about it on the bench.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Aniki posted:

For the other captains out there, what do you when your players are accusing a teammate of being a dick? Would I better off pulling him aside with one of my assistant captains before our next game or would I be better off contacting him through email? I don't want to come off too hard on the guy right away, since I know that sometimes people can act aloof or like a dick and not be aware of it, but I guess his attitude is bothering quite a few players and I want to make sure that I am keeping everything fun for everyone.

If something is becoming an issue, I'd pull him aside with one other captain and have a chat with him and let him know what the team is thinking. You don't want to let things fester. Guys don't battle for guys they don't like.

Don't attack him, just let him know where the guys are at. It's on him to see how he handles .

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Alizee posted:

Stanley Cup Finals game seven sure.

Even that's not a sure thing... :(

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Verman posted:

Visor - to get minimal safety and great vision but you get fogging

Completely disagree. Visors protect in a huge way, especially if worn with a mouguard. I've taken pucks, sticks, bodychecks, and punches to the face for years and have never felt under protected with just a visor. I've also never seen an eye or tooth injury when guys are wearing them. Pucks and sticks just don't get to your eyes with a shield on. The only possibility is some fluke butt end like Charlie Conway in the corners.

While cages prevent lip lacerations they've been shown to increase concussions. And this is just my feeling, but I feel like mouth guards act as a shock absorber when taking hits to the jaw. With a cage, you're probably not wearing one. Some of my worst headshots were while wearing a cage. I'd rather take a hit with a mouth guard and visor than just a cage.

No visor, no mouth guard, no cage? I think that's crazy. The only case you could ever make to me not to wear something is that you make millions of dollars playing hockey and need that edge.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

I'm not really sure what exactly I said that was so contentious. I don't believe (half) visors offer only minimal amounts of protection. I believe they offer significant levels of protection (when used along with mouth guards), as do cages.

I guess what you guys disagree with is that I believe visors and cages are pretty close in terms of protection. Where they differ is that cages significantly decrease the risk of lower facial lacerations, while visors (over cages) offer marginal decreased risk of concussions. Overall, I believe a visor+mouthguard offer significant and sufficient levels of protection. I think cages can be overkill, but I don't begrudge anyone that makes that decision to wear them - they're still safe.

About six years ago when I was deciding to make the switch I read some research papers online that covered the statistics I mentioned. I couldn't find the same research paper online now so you'll have to either believe me or assume my pants are on fire.

Everyone's leagues are different. Where I play, it's a pretty big deal if guys are swinging their sticks anywhere near people's faces (a large number of players wear no shield, no cage, no mouthguard; again, I think this is crazy). I've noticed when I've played tournaments in the states cages are much more common, so maybe culturally it's not a big deal to be swinging your stick around players' faces since so many wear cages. Here, I've seen fights break out just because a guy carelessly got his stick up.

Some of the onus falls on the player to protect himself as well. In situations where a stick or puck could come up into your face, ducking your chin into your shoulder or chest also makes any angle for contact with your upper face nearly impossible.

I'm sure it's possible to take an injury to the face while wearing a visor, just as it's possible to get an elbow, knee, groin, or shoulder injury while wearing gear that protects those parts. I just take issue with the thought that a cage is completely safe and a visor is completely exposed. A visor will protect your eyes from 99.99% of situations you'll face. John Tavares took a puck to the face tonight and finished the game with 3 points, all while wearing a visor. I've also never seen a bad eye injury in the NHL where a guy was wearing a visor. And if there was one, I'm sure that ranks as pretty rare considering how many NHL games are played at such high velocities.

The only injury I've ever taken with my visor was taking a slapshot square off the visor. The visor edge came down and impacted into my lip and burst it open and it bled pretty bad. My mouthguard had a huge gash in it and needed to be replaced but I didn't lose any teeth. I also did what any GOOD CANADIAN KID would do and stuffed my lip full of toilet paper and finished the game. Also, because I live in a socialist country with free health care and my injury was relatively minor, I pretty much had to wait until every person had gone through the ER before they would stitch me up. After reading this story, clearly you'll agree that visors are the best.

Visors also reduce chirps like "TAKE OFF THAT loving CAGE YOU loving PUSSY" by about 100%.

bigmike fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 11, 2012

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

poser posted:

We had a guy "try out" for my team last night and he is a cool dude and pretty good at hockey. Problem is he is from Vancouver and a Canucks fans.. should we hold that against him?

Do you really want the Canadian playing against you? Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Gio posted:

He's joking. Someone posted awhile back that cages increase the likelihood of concussions which is why he doesn't wear a cage, or something along those lines.

Not really. The injury differential is negligible to me. I just repeated what a report stated. I switched because of the vision advantage.

The other night a guy submarined me and his teammate with a cage sucker punched me while I was on the ground and now I have a slight bruise on my lip. When will I ever learn that my reckless attitude to safety may lead to slight bruising. Score one round for Team Cage.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

I don't understand what any of your second paragraph means or how it relates to cages but can I please see this report?

To summarize what was already posted in this thread, it was a report/study I read online over 6 years ago when I was deciding if I should make the switch from a cage to visor+mouthguard. It talked about how laceration incidents went to zero and how concussion incidents increased by a small number around 3-5%. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the great cage debate I would have six years in the future and didn't save evidence of these highly controversial findings. My referencing this has also been interpreted as me claiming that even the act of putting on a cage gives you concussions 100% of the time, every time.

quote:

Also not sure how a visor + mouthguard solution would have stopped either of the injuries that were saved by cages from the last page, but glad you've got it figured out.

Exactly what injuries are these? Guys get hit in the cage with a stick or a puck and they think "Oh man, good thing I had a cage on." There are over 1200 NHL games played every year at NHL velocities and yet where is the laundry list of broken noses and blinded eyes from guys that wear visors and mouthguards? Every injury you see are from guys that don't wear shields.

Zamboni_Rodeo's shot would probably have hit the bottom of a visor, as most visors come down below where your nose is. xzzy's shot might have busted a lip and it would bleed for a few minutes and be sore for a couple of days. Mouthguard companies include $25,000 dental insurance. That's how confident they are that they protect your teeth. They don't need to do this. No other piece of equipment offers any such insurance.

The only visor injury I can find is Stamkos in Game 7 last year vs. the Bruins. http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-05-27/stamkos-leaves-game-7-after-taking-puck-to-the-face This is about the worst case scenario. He takes a point blank slapshot that's coming low and deflects upward toward his face. He missed 4:20 of the game before returning to play. Do you face many NHL quality slapshots in your games?

I've worn a cage for around 10 years and a visor for over 6. I've taken pucks, sticks and punches to the face with both forms of protection. I've never even had a close call with having a nose, eye, tooth or jaw injured. Never seen a teammate or opponent wearing a visor have one. I've had some cuts, I've had some bruised lips and some sore jaws. These injuries pale to various other hockey injuries I've experienced and seen happen to teammates. Dislocated shoulders, broken arms, broken legs, torn MCL/ACLs, concussions, broken clavicles, torn muscles, broken wrists, fingers, toes and ribs. Hockey is a dangerous game that involves risk. I'm not saying that just because you can break a leg, who cares about your face. I'm saying that the risk of any serious facial injury is miniscule, especially compared with the other injuries you will eventually face.

I've never said cages don't work. They do. And if you feel that a security blanket keeps you extra safe, I have no problem with that at all. I don't call guys with cages pussies and it doesn't bother me one way or the other who wears them. My point is that visor and mouthguards work. They give you more protection than you need and your eyes, nose and teeth will be safe. You might get a little boo-boo once every couple of years and you might even need to put a band-aid over your cut, but you'll be fine. Try getting hit with a puck or a stick in face. It's not as bad as you think it is. I'm curious to see out of all the guys that have worn both for at least a year, how many went back to cages because the visor wasn't safe enough.

Also, do you guys wear any kind of neck protection? Because you might die.

Moving on, I'm really enjoying my first season playing forward. I've been learning a ton about being a goal scorer and the feeling is addictive. It feels like a hunger you can't quench. I've had games where I've scored 5 goals and all I can think about are the ones I missed. I think this will also help me understand my forwards a little better when I move back to D in the summer.

Also, for any intermediate or advanced players, over the past year I've taken strength training pretty seriously and increasing raw strength has by far been the most beneficial thing I've ever done for my game. I'm playing in a division I've played in for the past 8 years and over the past season I'm absolutely dominating guys that I've always been on par with. Everything about the game has become easier. I've been doing Starting Strength with a lot of crossfit-type exercises on top and seeing all that work in the gym pay off in game is one of the most rewarding things ever.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

If it's from 6 years ago and you can't find it, I'd stop bringing it up. It sounds like you're making it up. My point of contention is that it raises concussions by any %, not 100%. Your lack of any sort of scientific evidence to support your argument and the fact you keep taking my troll bait about it is why I keep bringing it up.

I didn't bring it up, you specifically asked about it after someone referenced a prior discussion about it. I brought it up one time and as I've mentioned, I don't even really care about the findings. I haven't advocated visors as a method for reducing concussions. I stated findings, that I recalled reading and I have no problem standing behind my memory of those. You disagree and have cited reports of a contradictory study, that's fine with me too.

My choice to wear a visor doesn't depend on its increased or decreased protection from concussions. I'm more than comfortable taking on the slight risk of laceration (twice in six years, playing 2-3 teams, both summer and winter seasons) for the major improvements in vision.

If anything my concussion rate has significantly been reduced by the fact that I don't get randomly punched in the face and told "take off the loving cage you loving pussy" anymore. I'm not sure if our studies account for that or not.

quote:

In fact, here's a study that says by wearing a full face shield you reduce time lost to a concussion when directly compared to a half shield. Link. Different argument than concussion/no concussion but further evidence that they can only help.

It's perfectly possible that both studies are true. Incidents may be increased slightly, while severity goes down. When you wear a cage your overall head target is increased. There have been many occasions where a puck or stick comes close to my face and just barely misses, but for sure would have hit me if I had a cage on. Since I can't provide a link to my University degree in science (it too, was from about 6 years ago), I'll just say: Now I'm no scientist so I can't verify that at all, but having a cage that's twice the size of a visor could possibly explain an increase of 3-5% of contacts to the head. Since you seem more interested in this debate (appreciate your extensive background research), I'll leave it to you to verify or refute my hypothesis.

quote:

The most common injury I see in any of my leagues is accidental lacerations to the face and lower jaw. People bleeding like stuck pigs. We don't play in the NHL and that's exactly the point. Guys are careless with sticks, they're slower to get out of the way, etc. A deflected slapshot at 60mph that hits you in the chin or nose is going to do damage much like a 95mph NHL slapshot will. That poo poo happens and it happens more frequently because NHL players know when to better take a shot that has more chance of hitting the net.

DC brings up a good point, he is a tall skater and has less to worry about when it comes to errant anythings hitting him in the jaw. That's another benefit that NHL players have, their faces are usually further above the net and where people are shooting. Having skated with him I also wouldn't want to gently caress with him so I'm probably a little more careful around him anyways. I'm kidding.

Earlier I made the point that in a culture of cages, players have less incentive to protect themselves or to be more careful with their sticks and shots. I don't wear a cage. While strangely you took the point that taller = further away from the action, DC actually made a much better point that you missed. Players with visors learn to protect themselves. We cover our faces, tuck our chins, and read plays better. In a culture of cages, you don't learn this, because you don't necessarily have to. I don't want to high stick guys in the face. When I do, I feel bad, so I learn to have better control of my stick. In a league where everyone wears cages, the level of recklessness is probably increased dramatically.

quote:

The point with the shields is this, even with dental insurance from a mouthguard (which is 25-30k is amortized across every tooth, making the claims be about 900 per tooth damaged, and if you've had to have a tooth replaced you probably know it can easily cost more than that), there is a markedly increased risk of injury between a cage and a visor/mouthguard. Mouthguards have insurance because it's one of the most easily damaged part of your body they know that they can't guard teeth 100% and the odds of someone filing a full claim on that (or even knowing that they have insurance from it) are small enough to offer it. That's a business decision.

No there isn't. It sounds like you're making that up. What is this markedly increased risk you speak of? A cut once every couple of years? Okay. A fat lip once in a while? Sure. I still haven't seen any sound reasoning or proof that a visor+mouthguard results in a dramatic increase of risk for a serious injury. It doesn't happen in the NHL, but let me guess, its because they're all so tall.

And your logic that mouthguard companies give away insurance because their products are so terrible is laughable. Next you're going to tell me that my pet elephant will be safe with an ivory dealer because he's less likely to kill him than an ivory dealer who's ivory supplies are low.

quote:

You're free to do whatever you want, I don't think you're wrong for your choices, however I think your evidence is suspect and you're somewhat unfairly minimizing the increase of risk by skating with half of your face open, especially to a bunch of beer leaguers, most of which have not played any level of competitive ice hockey.

Admittedly you're probably correct here. I split my time between Div 1 and Div 2/3 hockey. I play against National team players, collegiate players, and sometimes the occasional NHL or AHL player. Most guys have played some form of competitive club or junior hockey. I'm probably unfairly assessing the risk involved with playing beginner hockey. I still do think that if less guys wore cages, those players would learn to be more responsible with their sticks. To me it seems like the guys that wear cages are often the most reckless (sorry, no online study to back this up).

I think a little fear of getting hit in the face is a great incentive to learn how to read plays better. It's sad to think, but if that 16 year old player who died from a puck to the neck was worried about getting a puck to the face, he probably would have protected his upper body better (he died while sliding to block a shot).

quote:

the fact you keep taking my troll bait

Well I'm sure we've all enjoyed the fact that you're purposely trying to poo poo up a really helpful and productive thread. I'll try my best in the future to resist the urge. I do actually really like this thread and have learned a lot from the people who contribute. I'm (or used to be) a terrible goal scorer and I have 54 goals in 24 games for my Div 3 team this year destroying my career highs. Nearly all of my goals were tactics and strategies I've learned that were talked about in this thread. Somebody posted a YouTube video about pulling your wrist shot inside at the last second to change the angle. This works so often its almost unfair.

bigmike fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 19, 2012

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

Didn't you just say you got submarined and subsequently punched in the face anyways? They always seem to find a way, wearing a cage or not...

This is my first season playing forward and coupled with a real dedicated training schedule I've been dominating a division where for years I've only been above average (I'm probably the worst player on my other team, in div 1, where I still play D). With 8 games left in the season I have 92 points and my career high was 67. I can't lie, it feels amazing but I'm definitely starting to draw attention now. I'm not a big guy and rely on my speed and skating. For about the last ten or so games I've been getting run, hacked and cheap-shotted on a constant basis. Ive been told it comes with the territory, but like I said, it's pretty new territory for me.

In one game, a team of all really small and chippy players were giving me the usual treatment. A lot of times I'm fast enough to step around a guy when he's trying to hit me, but one guy in particular was hanging his knee out every time. With about 3 minutes left he caught me knee on knee on his fourth try and I snapped and cross checked him as hard as I could in his back. Four guys tried to jump me and I was able to absorb three hits until the fourth guy submarined me.

Funny thing was one on of my teammates from my div 1 team has been telling me all year that I can't put up with that stuff and I need to snap once in a while to keep guys in line. That also happened to be his div 3 team I was playing against.

quote:

You bring up an interesting thing though -- do other players feel guilty when they do obviously terrible poo poo accidentally? It's reassuring you do, I thought I was the only one. Hell most of the time I'm making sure people are ok even if it's their own stupidity that caused them to skate with their head down or do whatever that caused them to go down hard. Just seems like most players don't give a gently caress about anyone, at least in the leagues I'm currently playing in.

I don't mind physical play as long as players respect that everyone has jobs and lives that they have to get back to. I've always apologized whenever I catch someone with a stick or a hit. If I need to settle a score or send a message, it's usually a "clean" (if hitting were allowed) bodycheck, and I do my 2 in the box, the above story notwithstanding. I definitely have slashed and hit guys, but it's always a hockey play, usually to separate them from the puck. I just can't get my mind around making dirty plays. It just feels so scummy. It does seem like we're in the minority here.

quote:

And the point you made about the single biggest improvement to your game being increasing your strength is very true. You mention crossfit specifically, did you join a crossfit gym or are you doing tabata style interval training with standard weight training at your gym? What are some workouts you are doing -- I am doing mostly body weight crossfit based work outs and while they're better than nothing I'd love to see what others are doing.

So I've been doing Starting Strength which is three barbell exercises three times a week. Depending on how much time and energy I have left I'll do some crossfit exercises. Since by then I'll have already been working out for about an hour, it's usually not anything heavy. At that point I'm going for the high rep, low rest stuff. Doing a Fight Gone Bad afterward is about the most intense accessory work I've done. I don't totally understand crossfit because some of their workouts are like 3 minutes long. Do people go to the gym, warm up, work out for 3 minutes and go home?

I usually just try to throw together stuff that lasts about 15 minutes. One example would be 8 snatch reps and then battle ropes to failure, and do that three times with as little rest as possible. I usually like to pick an explosive movement and then superset with something relatively safe that I can do to failure (box jumps, battle ropes, burpees). Sometimes I'll do two or three tabata rounds after my SS workout with kettle bells or sled pushes. I don't really have a strict schedule beyond the SS exercises, I just try to have fun and do whatever I feel like that day. Memories of getting punched in the face or cross checked from behind in the boards are pretty good motivators for trying to get my strength up.

I recently switched from the YMCA to a pretty unique gym. They're a normal gym but they have almost all the crossfit gear and a big indoor turf for sprints and sled pushes. They're trying to tailor toward athletes and a couple of the trainers are former NFL players. I like being able to do stuff on my own, but I've heard the group environment of crossfit is nice too.

bigmike fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 19, 2012

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

sellouts posted:

:words:

Those routines look great, I'll have to try some out. I've done a filthy fifty routine and others that are a bunch of reps of ten different exercises. Endurance has always been a strength for me. I just love the part of the game when everyone's gassed and it's all about who can will that next bit of power out. I think that's why a lot of the crossfit stuff is so appealing to me.

My gym's in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver. The owner used to run a smaller powerlifting gym until he opened this place. It's new which is kind of sweet because it's almost always empty. Although I hope business picks up a little bit because I don't want them to go out of business.

We beat a team today that has players from Team Canada (roller) and a guy that plays for the Tour Mudcats. It's only the second time in eight seasons we've beaten them. Bruised up pretty good, but its a lot easier to sacrifice the body when you're not getting pumped 10-1. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Do you ever miss the entire target? Do pucks deflect off the post or crossbar and go off in crazy directions? I was thinking about getting one but I'm in a townhouse complex and I really couldn't have pucks missing the thing entirely.