Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Hold up! Goalies are players too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
This is just the information/guide thread.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Thufir posted:

What's the point of having 2 threads?

This one is more informative while the other was a little more conversational I believe.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

D C posted:

So if I get up early enough tomorrow I'm going to go to stick and puck and give this a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Q47-U0OjY

Dont mind the messy condo.

Going to record at medium quality 720p and 60fps, not sure how the wide angle will look at speed but we'll find out, I'll also do some recordings at 1080p 30fps at high quality, its got a smaller viewing angle, and see how that looks

LOL that's awesome. How much did that kit cost?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Fingers McGee posted:

Do you guys think it's worth moving up from a vapor x20 to a x40 since they are on sale? The x20s are a year old and I've noticed that after a session they weigh a ton.

Ive been doing the adult skating skills clinic again for the last three weeks. Ive improved a ton since last summer and zip through most of the drills. Ive weeded out a couple bad habbits in the process. I signed up as a defensman but got to play second line wing last night. I did pretty well, I had two break aways and tried my best to shoot in stride and aimed 5hole each time, but I lifted it too much and hit his thigh/crotch both times.

I have x30s but I would think from a 20 to a 40 is a good jump since the 20 is the lowest end.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Playing in net for the first time in nearly 10 years. This should be interesting. Hopefully I don't take any rocket slappers to the dick...

Just make sure to squeeze your legs tight baby! Also, no slappers to the dick.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

1 game, 1 win, and more importantly, 0 rocket slappers to the dick :smug:

It was actually a ton of fun. It was the first time I've ever played goalie on ice. I felt like an aircraft carrier trying to maneuver in the pads though. gently caress the skates. gently caress. The. Skates. I almost ate poo poo skating over to the bench after the zamboni was done.

I gave up a couple softies, but made a few nice diving saves. My problem was that when I slid to a side to make a save, I'd kick the leg out, but I'd be sort of crouching on the other leg, so my 5-hole was wide open. Gave up 1 or 2 between the legs like that :(

I took a couple shots between the top of the kicker and the pad in the pants when I went down to my knees They're already sore today. All in all, it was a blast and I'd do it again. Our team now has a backup goalie!

You will learn to love goalie skates. Your balance is all off as goalie in stance when wearing regular skates. Also, your shuffles and explosive movements are better in them.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

Goalie skates also have protective cowlings, so you won't break your foot when a puck hits your skate.

Best part actualy. Note, no slap shots to the dick as well.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
That's pretty ridiculous he can still play with little to no eyesight. That's impressive but yea you didn't know and I'm sure it's not something he wants to broadcast. He probably wants to be treated like everyone else playing.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is $100 too much for a helmet for recreational no checking? The websites have Reebok 8k, Bauer 9100, and CCM Vapor 10 models for about that. Am I just paying for "10% lighter" and some kind of fancy lining at that point?

I roll with this and it's fine:

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=B4C

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Got a call from Hockey Monkey today. I almost pooped my pants when I saw a Southern Cal number pop up on my phone. Ugghhhh, they're sold out too? Why can't these fucks keep their stock up to date on their sites?

;-* : "Hello, I'm calling from Hockey Monkey just to let you know that we had to pull your Vapor X:50 skates from our warehouse in New Jersey. They'll be shipped out tomorrow and at your door by Friday. Is this ok with you?"
:aaa: : "..... Uhhhh, yeah that's awesome, thanks!"

:dance:

When they say warehouse they just mean their huge super store which is ridiculous.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

coldwind posted:

I haven't really seen any good (GOOD) evidence that EPP is any better than VN. Hell, I haven't even seen the anecdotal evidence. Overall, the level of solid information on hockey helmet safety is very low and most of what is actually out there is sponsored by one manufacturer or another.

This, though. You don't really know the true condition of the helmet and it's not worth the money.

I sold a used helmet to a goon on here. I used it for one season and I knew it was in good shape. Other wise I wasn't desperate enough to sell it if it was in worse condition or anything. This is true though I wouldn't buy used helmets either considering the Bauer 4500 is only like 50 bucks.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

Any tips on delayed entry to the zone? I'm a little bit faster than people on my team and I beat them to the blue line I just end up stopping and waiting and it messes up my flow.

I am probably wrong but aren't you supposed to straddle it till the puck comes across? I mean you can literally have one skate on the line and you're still onside.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Breaking in new skates is awful :cry:

well at least bake em first!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

:smith:

This guy sounds like the guy you dont want on your team.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So what level of gear do you guys go with for like low beer league? For comparison would you get protective gear above like say an x:30 pad/pant or is that pretty good enough for that level?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

coldwind posted:

I feel like an idiot asking but...

What does this do? Just make the blade slippery?

Blade isnt biting into the ice since the tape is on there lol

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Lawnie posted:

I bought a shooting pad, a goal, and ten pucks this week for like 200 bucks shipped. I'm gonna spend my whole summer at home shooting every day to try to get better.

gotta get to that gladwell 10000000000 hours or whatever it is so i can go pro

Whoa whered you get all that for just 200 shipped? That sounds like an awesome deal.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

bewbies posted:

Also it seems like at least once a game a puck winds up in a spot where no one can stop fast enough to get to it, so you just have 3-4 guys skating in circles around it for a few seconds. This never fails to make me laugh.

I have played like 3-4 roller seasons. I have never seen this happen. Even when a puck is on the boards I have never seen anyone have problems stopping. What kind of surface are you playing on?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I have heard that synthetic ice is bad for your blades. Skating on it really heats up quick or something like that.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

WouldDesk posted:

This. Also if anyone has not played a game with a rolling clock when only 7 people show up (including goaltender, who was not a goaltender) you do not know exhaustion. And 3 minute intermission breaks. I am convinced the league director wanted some kid to pass out so he could call them out for being weak.

We had this happen to us during one of my seasons in roller. This is how I ended up playing net. We do 2, 24 minute halves at my roller league. I know those guys were dead and so was I. Also, I probably got some disease wearing that house gear.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Iron-man hockey, brosef. I've had more than a few games where only five guys show up. We played a dump-and-mosey offensive system. Good times.

e: Oh, so you technically had 6 on the bench? I presume you just played it drop-in style?

Hahaha I don't know what you would even call this. During our 2 minute break people looked like they were going to die from exhaustion.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Topoisomerase posted:

Inline....

Inline or not this should never happen. My roller league calls the game if a team goes up by 8.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

coldwind posted:

The problem with this is that people (mainly sympathy for the guys on the losing end) get cheated out of hockey that they paid for.

Well they generally call the game but you have the rink till the next game.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Aniki posted:

With inline 8 goals isn't an unsurmountable lead, especially if they score those goals early.

The inline league I play at the scores never get that out of control. For our level you arent coming back from down 8. You also get 24 minute halves that are running clock so you don't get much chance to come back.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I honestly don't think cages are that bad. I would rather a cage than this poor guy I saw take a puck off the boards then into this face. Opened a huge gash right under his eye. A little higher and he might be blind. Also I play net so I always have a cage on so maybe that's why bars and crap barely bother me.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Not sure if this holds true for visors but what if you spit on the inside then rinse it off with water? Maybe that only works for swim goggles I'm not sure.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

bigmike posted:

Visors protect better than you think they do. They sit very close to your face and come really far down. I've been high-sticked countless times and the stick always catches on the visor. Not that you can't get hit in the jaw, but it would take almost a perfect scenario for a stick blade or puck to make its way up there and hit you in the eye, and even then, your orbital will still do a drat good job of protecting your actual eyeball.

This is assuming you are wearing your helmet correctly. Everyone I see wearing a visor wears their helmet so drat loose that the visor is higher up than it should.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Sexy Randal posted:

I just bought a pair of Skate Fenders online. Anybody have any experience with these? I'm playing defence for the first time this summer and I've already taken a few shots on the foot, thankfully none of them that bad. I'm hoping these will cut down on the pain.

I know a guy who wore them all the time and the one time he didn't of course he took one in the foot and broke it lol. If you're planning on getting in front of a lot of shots then it's probably a good investment.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Besides, couldn't you just invest the ludicrous price of the fenders into getting a better skate that gives more protection without looking ridiculous?

This is more to protect the top of the foot/tongue area which there isnt anything there to protect you from a shot. Maybe a piece of plastic and the padding on the tongue. The guy that broke his foot was wearing X:60s he wasn't exactly wearing low end skates. Took the shot clean on the front/top part of the skate.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Skate fenders it is then.

I never said you had to get them lol. Just saying what they were for. If you've ever taken a shot to the foot I'm sure it hurts. I have had some blocks on the side of my skates that hurt so I could imagine a straight hit to the tongue/top foot area would do some damage.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

bukowskiyouth posted:

Does anyone have any techniques to get your hockey equipment to not smell like death? My gear is starting to get so bad it fills up large rooms, and spraying febreeze and Lysol on it only makes it worse.

You should be airing the equipment out and allowing them the fully dry. What I do for my goalie stuff and hockey gear in general is spray with febreeze antimicrobial and my helmet/mask with lysol. Put them on the wet rack and let them dry. It is really important to let the stuff air out and dry properly.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I think the key is you let the gear air out and completely dry. Leaving it out in a closed off room then wearing it again the next day while still wet wont work. It will still smell like poo poo if anything worse if it doesn't dry out properly.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Hey guys I need your opinion.

Which one would you pick http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=EQ2SP or http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=SP4

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

ManicJason posted:

My team won my last game by 10 goals. With a few seconds left, their goalie came way out to contest a 50-50 puck. My teammate cleanly got there first, took the puck around their goalie, and shot it in from almost no angle along the boards. The other team's hothead defender absolutely crushed him against the boards behind the net a few seconds after the puck went in.

No one did anything. The defender got immediately thrown out, but no one retaliated on either side. I couldn't believe it.

This is absolute bullshit. I would have ran right at the guy for doing something like that.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

I play on two teams and one of them is my friends mom's friends team so we have some older females on the team. In the same period this guy ran my friend into the boards and dropped my friends mom to the ice with a crosscheck from behind. She said it was happening all game and decided that she would sit out the rest of the game because she was scared of the guy... I dropped him to the ice my next shift and got yelled by the captain for doing it:smith:

Your captain is a pussy.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

:hellyeah:

Oh man those are sexy...I think I got a woody.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

We are getting new ice/boards and glass on one of our sheets

:swoon:

Oh man that is beautiful!

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

I play at a literally new facility (2 years old) so new boards and new anything in general is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Does anyone use a backpack for their gear bag? I usually get a ride to the rink but yesterday I wanted to go to a stick and puck to mess around skating out. Carried my stuff in a duffel bag and never realized how long the walks were to and from the train stations. Needless to say it totally sucked carrying all that crap on one shoulder. I want to get a backpack gear bag so I don't kill myself. Anyone use one or have any recommendations?

I'm looking at this because it's cheap:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=HB170

It doesn't look like all my stuff will fit in it but I have no problem hanging my helmet off one of the straps or something.