Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Hey guys. I forget when I mentioned, but during Christmas I got a pair of skates. First skates I've had since I was 12. Also, first time skating since 12. So during January and February when I could, I would go skate with a few buddies at the local outdoor rinks.

I went from barely being able to move to pretty proficiently skating around now. I can pick up some speed and coast around in circles and do regular movement things. I can't stop well or do crossovers or skate backwards yet though. I'm hoping to get at least stopping and crossovers down before the summer is over so I can go be a winger.

Now though, I talked with some friends and come classes again in September we're going to join the university falculty league. Basically it's a beer/rec league where you play with your faculty against other falculties with two divisions. Obviously, I'm going to be in the lovely division. But the challenge is getting my skating up to par to be able to play in the league come September. I'm an ontario native, so obviously I have 10000 hours of street hockey under my belt, so things like stick handling aren't that big of an issue for me, despite never really playing puck.

However, I'm having a difficult time learning to stop! I've gone out about 4 times now with the intent to learn how to stop and I haven't been able to get good at it yet. I can sometimes stop, sometimes I turn in a circle, sometimes I slam into the boards.

I've looked at the websites, and I think I'm improving but I don't know the time frame for how fast I should expect to be able to hockey stop on either foot.

How long should I expect to take before I can stop? :confused:

On another matter. My parents bought me the skates and I'm worried they are too big. They're size 12 and I wear between a size 11 and a size 12 shoe depending on brand. For my running shoes, which I had properly fitted and are tight, they're only a size 11. There's a lot of room at the toe, but I don't really have lots of extra cash to spend for equipment unless it's absolutely necessary. Also the skates are lovely. They're basically a no name walmart brand lol. "Hesperler Rogues"

Also, you guys with the outdoor boards, how much does one of those cost? I would like to work on picking corners and my slapper in my backyard if possible :)

And I remember there's a goon from burlington in SAS. Want to help me become a better skater lol at Appleby Arena hahaha?

So yeah, help me play the hockey!

Alizee fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Thufir posted:

Your skates sound too big.

Is this a big deal?

[edit] Come september I could probably drop $100 on some new skates if I need to, but until then I'm stuck with these. Would baking them or wearing more socks or anything be good?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Yeah 50 more would be ok later on probably.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Lawnie posted:

oddly enough I considered printing out a picture of my ex-girlfriend and putting it in the goal because that would just be funny
:stare:

Anyway, so I'm going to buy new skates because mine are too big and I think it will help me skate better to buy new ones.

My options for $150 are these Bauer Vapor skates that regular $235 that are 40% off or these used Graf skates that apparently retail $500 that I can get used for $150.

The guy at the store said that they were in really really really good condition, almost like new. The guy at Al's Sports told me that I should not buy a product from him and instead go to Play it Again sports where I found the Graf's and try to find a $500 pair of skates for $150 like I did.

The guy at play it again said it was a rarity to get skates like that in such good condition.

So what should I do? Grab the $235 bauer vapors 2010 model new or the Graf $500 used for $150?

Also, I got myself sized up and hockey skates wise I'm a size 9 lol.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Alizee posted:

skate stuff

If anyone can give me their opinion on which skates I should buy that'd be sweet cause I'm considering buying them tomorrow.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I don't remember the specific model of Bauer Vapor's that I was looking at but they were regular 235 on sale for 155. The 2010 models.

My price point is $150.

I guess I'll go try them both on and see what feels better. Right now just based on personal bias and a few friends I'm swayed towards the Bauer's just because I like buying things new and I know the Bauer brand well and I'm worried that because Graf fits to people's individual foot that they'll be really off with me.

We'll see though I guess. Also I like the look of the Bauer's better :p

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Ok guys I'm back with my purchase!!! At first I went over and I was going to buy the X:30's. But they only had size 5,6 and 13 lol. Everything else was either too cheap, or too above my price point new.

So I decided to go check out the Graf's try them on and see if they fit me well. I walked around in them for 10-15 minutes and did some squats and some cartwheels, a few triple luts and decided to lock in my answer.

So here's a picture of these bad boys. I got $20 trade in on my old skates and a free sharpening. So after all that they were $140 tax included.

I'm so pumped to skate in them tomorrow and saturday. They're so much smaller and better fitting then the other skates, the other ones were practically clown shoes by comparison.

They're a size 9 so I'm really surprised they fit so well. A size 11 shoe fits me snug and I wear 12's in sneakers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alizee fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 9, 2011

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

poser posted:

Dont store skates with skate guards on.

When do I use skate guards then?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Breakin in the skates, killed my feet friday. Less so today, they're feeling better, I can't loving figure out stopping for the life of me. Got 2 hours skating time on the new skates, hopefully after next two times out they'll be broken in :) I think I'm going to have to get one of my buddies to help me out.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Nah, just breaking them in myself.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Today at Adult public skate some old guy said I'm improving every week he sees me there :) And then gave me some tips on how to stop!

Breakin in the new skates nicely, now onto my next purchase, a helmet!

I think I will be going with a full cage. Every cool bro bone in my body says get a visor, but I'd rather be cool 95% of the day with my face looking nice and my eye sight being good than be cool 100% of the time and then get a puck in my face and look like a troll. :)

And yeah, visibility doesn't come into the equation for me when it comes to my purchase hahahha.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

bigmike posted:

Visors protect better than you think they do. They sit very close to your face and come really far down. I've been high-sticked countless times and the stick always catches on the visor. Not that you can't get hit in the jaw, but it would take almost a perfect scenario for a stick blade or puck to make its way up there and hit you in the eye, and even then, your orbital will still do a drat good job of protecting your actual eyeball.

But what if I get a puck in the mouth and it ruins my charming smile :qq:

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
New purchase :unsmith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Finally figuring out stopping lol. I can now awkwardly do some variation of the pizza at gliding speed and only fall on my rear end 1/10 times.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Hey so I can skate pretty fast now and stop pretty well. I can't skate backwards or do crossovers or anything and because there's no adult stick & puck I haven't had any icetime with a puck. Do you think people would be pissed if I joined in on local arena pick up games? I want to wet my beak before the season starts with the school rec league.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Today I bought all my gear and it was fun. Total price for my hockey gear this summer came to about $680. But I splurged a bit on the gloves and the skates were $180. All my gear is new and I'm super pumped!!!!

I also decided to go with a full cage for various reasons. A lot of which being people are bad, I'm bad, I like my face.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I tried that stick at the store it's amazing for wristers and....

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I bought all the rest of my hockey gear. It's all sick. I'm so excited to start playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I know I told you guys I'm joining my school's rec league.

But I also signed up for my school's ball hockey league.

yeeeeeeeeee boi

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Way to post all this gory poo poo a week before I start playing hockey you dicks.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I finally have my first game of the season coming up this sunday night. I'm equally exciting and nervous because I don't want to be so terrible that my teammates are annoyed that I'm on the team. Some close friends are on the team and the rest are in my tiny faculty so I know most of the guys that I'm playing with, but still...

We're in Tier 2 which is the shittier of the 2 leagues. Anyone have any advice for what what I should be thinking/doing in my very first ever ice hockey game where I'm a lovely skater that can only stop one way and just learned crossovers 2 weeks ago?

I'm a forward.

P.S. 5'7 13" Bauer

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I've been wanting to go to stick and pucks for months. For some reason the only stick and puck my city has is for kids age 5-13 with parents...

However, once it's cold enough outside for ice, I'll be playing at outdoor rinks all the time.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Just got back from my first game. I was by far the worst player on the ice, but I had a lot of fun! We lost the game 4-1 =( and I was a -2 but I feel that I'll get significantly better as the season goes on and hopefully won't be such a huge liability.

I have absolutely zero vision with the puck at the moment haha. Our right D put it up the boards around the D I was covering and we had a 3 on 1 break. I broke the blueline before realizing where my teammates were. At that point the defender had caught up with me and I bounced it off his skate to a teammate.

Hahaha fun. Also we have 2 girls on our team. And the are much better than me haha. Everyone was really nice though, which is kinda expected since I know most of them and Con-Ed is a kinda tight knit community.

Also in warm up my shots were pathetic, but I attribute that to the fact it was the first time I ever shot a puck on an ice surface wearing skates and I have a hard enough time maintaining balance normally anyway =P

Overall, very fun. I'll have an even better time when I don't feel like a black hole of suck every shift.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Played my second hockey game. It was fun again. We got roasted 5-0 against a team that wasn't very good either. Coincidentally I was a 0 for +/- so I didn't feel too bad, we hung our goalie out to dry though.

How am I supposed to be balancing myself when I shoot?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Thanks guys for the tips. It sucks cause when I play in my ball hockey league I can snipe corners and poo poo and it's awesome. Then I get to ice and I practically fall over while trying to take a wrister =P

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

zinc68 posted:

what flex of stick are you using?

I guess it's "regular flex 85".

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Game three in the books. The box score for our games so far.

4-1 L
5-0 L
5-0 L

Ouch. On a positive note I am playing a lot better, I broke up some plays, made a nice break out pass and was a pest in the slot. We played a team full of players that should of been in Tier 1, but whatever.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
we're 0-4

we have a -16 goal differential

=/

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Thufir posted:

1-4-2
12 GF, 31 GA
:smug:

Haha, yeah shoulda added the GF, GA.

GF: 1
GA: 17

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
My Ice hockey team got a tie tonight! WOO! We didn't lose yay :unsmith: 0-5-1.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Stanley Cup Finals game seven sure. Outdoor game where you spend 90% of it watching a jumbotron if you actually want to see what's up, no thanks.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Man I had the lamest poo poo happen.

I go and get my skates sharpened at Canadian Tire cause it was the closest location and I have to take the bus. It's so that I have some nice sharp skates for my first game back after the break.

I get out on the ice tonight and I have absolutely zero edges. It was as if I took a pair of skates out of a box and tried to skate on them.

I knew I shouldn't have trusted the 74 year old woman trying to sharpen my skates.

Anyway, I ended up just sitting on the bench for the game, watching, chatting.

Some weak poo poo purchasing a skate sharpening, paying for a cab to get to the arena, and not even being able to play. Weak, rear end, poo poo.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I figured that anywhere that offers skate sharpening knows how to sharpen skates. =/

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Apparently so.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

MagicCube posted:

If you have a place near you, try going to Play It Again Sports or Sportchek. That's where I get my skates sharpened and I've never had a problem with them. Not sure where you live, but if you're in a decent sized town they should probably have at least one of these places.

Yeah turns out there's a play it again a few blocks down from the Canadian Tire I went to. :negative:

I swear I was going to score a hat trick last night too :smith:

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
2 questions about my long active stick:

1) Does it matter that my stick is longer than average? I'm 5'7 and use a senior that isn't cut down at all. I kinda like the length of it. I took my friends intermediate who is also the same height as me and from what I gather his intermediate is where I should cut my stick down to. I hated the length of it. It felt really short and like I had no reach at all and couldn't lean into my stick at all. So yeah, is it just because I'm used to it and I'm handicapping myself or is it just personal preference?

2) I was at play it again and I saw some Graf sticks. General consensus on quality? I liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
We won a game 5-1 this season and on the 4-1 goal it was scored by our captain, who in all his time at university playing hockey in the intramurals, had never scored a goal. He skated and then slid and then got back up and rode his stick like a horse and then everyone piled on him.

He's also graduating this year, so he only had 3 games left to get a goal.

We had to go tell the other team afterwards it was his first goal ever in like 25+ games played. They were ok with it.