Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Conan and Bongripper were pretty great last night. I had to leave about half an hour into Bongripper's set to catch the last train, which was a shame because they were slaying it. Support from a local band called Atargia (I think) who were decent although the mix wasn't great and I could barely hear the vocals. Humanfly apparently had van issues and didn't make it, pity as I've seen them before and like them a lot.

e: it was pretty loud but not as much as some gigs I've been to (Earth at Thekla probably top that list for me). That said I couldn't find my earplugs and I'm paying for it as I've had tinnitus all day.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Ah Crap! posted:

i don't listen to much slow stuff but i could listen to Bell Witch over and over. Dylan, the bass player from Samothrace, is in it and does so many bass nibs and sings awesomely. they floored me when i saw them live.

http://bellwitch.bandcamp.com/album/bell-witch-demo-2011

Thanks for the heads-up. Checked out their first LP because of this post, and I'm really into it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I realize I am quite late on the news that Baroness have had to replace their drummer and bassist due to complications from the accident: http://baronessmusic.com/update-3/#more-596

however Baroness will be hitting Dallas and Austin soon. I'll either be going the short drive 20 minute to Dallas, or I'm gonna make a road trip out of going to Austin. Either way. With the accident and personell changes I can easily see a situation where, if Baroness continues to develop as a band, the remaining members' mental and physical injuries might change the quality or style of their work. For better or worse, I'm not trying to be a doom sayer. Maybe they'll go back to the wonderfulness of Blue or something? What I do know is, I should probably see them at least once before they start making new material and shifting their style more like they probably will.

My question is, does Baroness put on a good live show? I've never liked recordings of live shows because the audio is always total poo poo and it's never a fair representation of being there. So I'm curious for those who have been, is it worth the price of tickets?

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 29, 2013

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

hemophilia posted:

I realize I am quite late on the news that Baroness have lost their drummer and bassist due to complications from the accident: http://baronessmusic.com/update-3/#more-596

however Baroness will be hitting Dallas and Austin soon. I'll either be going the short drive 20 minute to Dallas, or I'm gonna make a road trip out of going to Austin. Either way. With the accident and personell changes I can easily see a situation where, if Baroness continues to develop as a band, the remaining members' mental and physical injuries might change the quality or style of their work. For better or worse, I'm not trying to be a doom sayer. Maybe they'll go back to the wonderfulness of Blue or something? What I do know is, I should probably see them at least once before they start making new material and shifting their style more like they probably will.

My question is, does Baroness put on a good live show? I've never liked recordings of live shows because the audio is always total poo poo and it's never a fair representation of being there. So I'm curious for those who have been, is it worth the price of tickets?

Oof, the way you phrased that first sentence threw me off and I worried that there was even more sad news on the Baroness front.

Having seen them on the Blue tour, I can absolutely say they put on a great live show. Highly recommended.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

I realize I am quite late on the news that Baroness have lost their drummer and bassist due to complications from the accident: http://baronessmusic.com/update-3/#more-596

Jesus Christ man, the way you wrote that I thought they had died. It's sad they were forced out of the band by their injuries. I don't know how involved they were with the writing but I hope baroness keep developing their sound. I don't share the desire for a return to red or blue style baroness, I've loved every album so far.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sorry guys, that was really bad wording, I did not mean to imply they died! Everyone is still alive as far as we have been told!! I have fixed the error.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

Loaf32 posted:

:ducksiren::ducksiren:MELVINS 30TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR, Y'ALL:ducksiren::ducksiren:

Any word on what the lineup will be?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

hemophilia posted:

I realize I am quite late on the news that Baroness have had to replace their drummer and bassist due to complications from the accident: http://baronessmusic.com/update-3/#more-596

Speaking of Baroness, there's auctions starting soon (well, supposed to be this past Saturday but I'm guessing more delays) towards their medical bills of a bunch of stuff like signed vinyls and posters from bands like Kylesa and Mastodon and a bunch of others. Definitely worth checking out the list.
http://baronessrelief.org/items

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around

Loaf32 posted:

:ducksiren::ducksiren:MELVINS 30TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR, Y'ALL:ducksiren::ducksiren:

30th Anniversary Tour with Honky
July 12, 2013 - Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
July 13, 2013 - Albuquerque, NM - The Launchpad
July 15, 2013 - Denver, CO - The Summit Music Hall
July 17, 2013 - Omaha, NE - The Waiting Room
July 18, 2013 - Rock Island, IL - Rock Island Brewing Company
July 20, 2013 - Minneapolis, MN - Grumpy’s (Bash-13 Festival)
July 21, 2013 - Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall Ballroom (w/Mudhoney)
July 22, 2013 - Chicago, IL - Double Door
July 23, 2013 - St. Louis, MO - The Firebird
July 25, 2013 - Cleveland, OH - The Grog Shop
July 26, 2013 - Detroit, MI - Small’s
July 27, 2013 - Syracuse, NY - The Westcott Theater
July 29, 2013 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
July 30, 2013 - Hartford, CT - Arch Street Tavern
July 31, 2013 - Brooklyn, NY - TBA
August 1, 2013 - Philadelphia, PA - Underground Arts
August 2, 2013 - Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
August 3, 2013 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
August 4, 2013 - Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
August 5, 2013 - Atlanta, GA - The Loft at Center Stage Atlanta
August 7, 2013 - New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jack’s
August 8, 2013 - Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
August 9, 2013 - Austin, TX - Mohawk
August 10, 2013 - Dallas, TX - Trees
August 13, 2013 - Salt Lake City, UT - Club Sound
August 14, 2013 - Boise, ID - Neurolux
August 16, 2013 - Seattle, WA - Neumo’s
August 19, 2013 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom
August 20, 2013 - Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
August 22, 2013 - San Francisco, CA - Slim’s

Even more dates!!

For some reason these shows are listed under "Melvins European Residency". And an exciting note, "Residency shows with the full lineup!". Here they are:
May 25, 2013 - Baltimore, MD - Maryland Deathfest
May 27, 2013 - Millvale, PA - Mr. Smalls Theatre
May 28, 2013 - Columbus, OH - A&R Music Bar
May 29, 2013 - Cincinnati, OH - Taft Theatre
June 01, 2013 - Memphis, TN - Scion Rock Fest

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
So the body's new EP Master, We Perish is out today on At A Loss Records and they posted a new video for the song Worship. This is my favorite type of video, minimalistic, yet memorable and striking. Also eerie unsettling, just like the band. I will never stop talking about them because they are so awesome. A great mix of punishing heaviness, noise, doom, sludge, and those vocals... it's like the captured the tortured screams of Hellbound victims.

Don't know if this was posted yet, but they previously released another video for The Ebb and Flow of Tides in a Sea of Ash from the same EP and it is equally haunting.

They are doing a tour with Subservient gently caress and I am so sad they aren't coming through my town, but that just means more people can experience them.

THE BODY – 2013 TOUR DATES
05-07 Boise, ID- Red Room
05-08 Salt Lake City, UT- The Salt Haus
05-10 Kansas City, MO – PUA Gallery
05-11 Iowa City, IA- Gabe’s Oasis
05-12 Lincoln, NE- Bourbon Theatre
05-13 Dubuque, IA- Eronel
05-14 Chicago, IL- Empty Bottle
05-15 Cleveland, OH- Now That’s Class
05-16 Harrisburg, PA- Grindlab Skatepark
05-17 Philadelphia, PA- Heaven’s Gate
05-19 Pawtucket, RI – Machines with Magnets
06-09 Brooklyn, NY – The Acheron
06-10 Brooklyn, NY – The Acheron
06-30 Berkeley, CA – This is Not a Step Fest
07-03 Seattle, WA – Black Lodge *
07-04 Oakland, CA – 1234 Go Records *
07-05 La Puente, CA – Bridgetown *
07-07 Riverside, CA – Blood Orange *
07-08 San Diego, CA – Che Cafe *
* w/ Subservient gently caress

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm waiting to watch Boris right now and there's like 20 people here wtf

niff
Jul 4, 2010
opening for Truckfighters on Tuesday. I am hoping they have LPs for sale at the gig.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

QPZIL posted:

I'm waiting to watch Boris right now and there's like 20 people here wtf

I couldn't make anyone go with me to the cradle on a Tuesday night ;-; Also I had to work today. They were super awesome, weren't they?

VVVVV uuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I hate myself so much now

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 1, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

boxcarhobo posted:

I couldn't make anyone go with me to the cradle on a Tuesday night ;-; Also I had to work today. They were super awesome, weren't they?

Very awesome.

Huge, Rainbow, Pink, Vanilla, Statement, Angel, Cosmos, and then Flood in its entirety.

My eardrums got blown out my butthole.

edit-- and I will say that if anyone knows how to do atmosphere with fog and lights, it's Boris.

BORIS - Takeshi by iantuten, on Flickr

BORIS - Takeshi by iantuten, on Flickr

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 1, 2013

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

QPZIL posted:

Very awesome.

Huge, Rainbow, Pink, Vanilla, Statement, Angel, Cosmos, and then Flood in its entirety.

My eardrums got blown out my butthole.

edit-- and I will say that if anyone knows how to do atmosphere with fog and lights, it's Boris.

Hell yeah dude, I saw them on Saturday playing an outdoor stage and the sound, lights, and smoke were like perfect.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I think I've figured out where all the songs came from except "Vanilla". That's one I've never heard of. Anyone have any idea?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

It's my dream to see Boris play "My Neighbour Satan" live. The version from Smile:Live is blisteringly amazing.

In other news, Kylesa have posted another new song, further confirming my suspicion that this is going to be the metal album of 2013 for me, even if they have probably posted half the album by now.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

QPZIL posted:

I think I've figured out where all the songs came from except "Vanilla". That's one I've never heard of. Anyone have any idea?

Someone posted the same setlist in the Boris thread, with Vanilla and Angel marked as new songs (like, new new, not Praparat new).

Boris is passing close to me in two weeks with Pallbearer opening, I'm hoping to make it out to that one.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Gils posted:

Someone posted the same setlist in the Boris thread

Whoa, there's a Boris thread? Link?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

plester1 posted:

Whoa, there's a Boris thread? Link?

Someone started one when Praparat/this tour was announced. It's small but I mean, nothing wrong with small threads for individual bands.
There's also an older one that's probably archived by now.

e:link

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Any word on what the lineup will be?

Not that I've seen, but I'm guessing Pinkus is on bass. Honky is touring with them, and there's a Melvins/Pinkus EP that has been mentioned to be on the way.

I saw the body open for Earth a few months back, and they were incredible. If you have a chance, go see them. On a side note, why do so many awesome acts come from R.I.?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

nomapple posted:

Did you catch Dread Sovereign/was their record available yet? Also if you caught Cobalt how were they?

Also thanks for Beastwars, thread. I bought the album last night and it loving slays. Bummed to miss out on the ltd vinyl, and shipping costs from NZ are too painful to bother with the regular edition for now!

They kick rear end live too. Here's Matt (the singer) doing his doom dance while they were opening for Unida last Friday night:

I've seen them a few other times live too, most notably this time last year when they opened for Black Cobra and Fu Manchu

And here's a band I never thought I'd get to see: Unida featuring one John Garcia.

It was a pretty awesome evening.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

:stare:

That's my head in that first picture.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Which head? I was the guy in the Meshuggah shirt.

If for some reason you haven't heard Beastwars yet, they're giving their first album away on Bandcamp for the next week or so.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

I'm to the right of the blond haired guy, in front of the guy whose head is reflecting the flash.

I remember you - i was in the Beastwars t-shirt.

That mosh pit got a bit intense, especially during the Unida encore.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah it was a pretty intense pit. At the beginning of Unida's set I was in the middle of the front row and got pushed towards the left for a bit, then as the set ended got pushed nearly out the door on the other side. For the encore I just went and stood by the bar with the other guys I went with.

Edit: Just saw Truckfighters and they are one goddamn amazing live band. This might just have been the gig of the year...

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 7, 2013

Lateralus
Apr 14, 2013

Sunn O))) have released their entire discography on Bandcamp, including previously vinyl only albums, splits and tour exclusives

http://sunn.bandcamp.com/

:eek: :D

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
drat, that's pretty cool of them. Some of that stuff was previously really hard to get hold of and while I was never a super big Sunn O))) fan (Earth drone supremacy) I'll definitely be giving some of those a listen/download. I wish Boris would follow suit...

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 9, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lateralus posted:

Sunn O))) have released their entire discography on Bandcamp, including previously vinyl only albums, splits and tour exclusives

http://sunn.bandcamp.com/

:eek: :D

Hot drat.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I wish Boris would follow suit...

But then I wouldn't be able to afford food anymore. It's better this way.

Really, though, that's awesome and every band ever should do the same.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anyone else going to catch EyeHateGod in Louisiana this Saturday, before they head off to Europe?

Lateralus
Apr 14, 2013

Indeed. I'm currently on their debut album, ØØVOID. Upon seeing that they did a collaboration with Pan Sonic, I looked them up on Spotify to see what they were about and... Wow. Not what I was expecting at all. :eek:

Definitely gonna have to buy some at some point. I'm particularly looking forward to hearing Domkirke, the album they recorded live in Bergen Cathedral in Norway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Domkirke is amazing, one of my favourite O))) albums.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I'm listening to Sunn's first "album" Does Your Cat Know My Dog? and the sounds do not match up with the cover art. At all. I'm glad on later albums they matched the art with the music.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. They're compilations.

Meatslam
Apr 9, 2009
My cousin inspired me to make this, I like it.

http://youtubedoubler.com/8cHh

(Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine vs. Tibetan Monks.)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

(Earth drone supremacy)

100% this, although I do love Boris' drone stuff too. I wonder what makes one sort of drone preferable to the other? I guess the notes they pick? That said, I saw Sunn live and I thought they were pretty incredible. "Have you ever felt a sound?" is a very apt way to advertise them. Still haven't managed to see Earth or Boris yet though :( Any other drone I should be listening to whilst we're on the topic?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Saw Earth (x2) and Boris live, both amazing. Still waiting for Sunn to come back to Ireland to complete the drone trinity.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I saw Sunn 0))) with Boris performing the entirety of Altar a few years back. Pretty awesome, they had all the guest vocalists and musicians from the album too. Earth were supporting but I arrived late and missed them. :(

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So I just started listening to Ramesses, and they're super heavy. I really like their first ep, it really reminds me of the old days of electric wizard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTSWO-jCVBE

And then in one of their songs, there's a sample where a guy says "Dig the music kids". So I was googling the quote to see where it's from. Instead I found this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXdGS1dgYw, labeled as music for children, and I unironically enjoyed it. Normally I listen to a lot of the doom / heavy stuff in this thread, so is it really weird that I liked this :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Darthemed posted:

Anyone else going to catch EyeHateGod in Louisiana this Saturday, before they head off to Europe?

:hfive:

Been looking forward to today for months now. Now I just have to figure out a way to see the Melvins in August.