Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Earth is playing on the 25th in Seattle.

I'm stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

cheapandugly posted:

That would have been awesome to know on Sunday. How was it?

loving incredible. Played The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull and Ouroboros is Broken, which is what I was really crossing my fingers for. Shirts were sold out by the time I got there, but I picked up a record instead. The Body opened up and completely pummeled me. The pressure was wicked, and I kept getting distracted by watching a soda bottle dance around on top of their rig.

Since you missed Earth, you can still catch Sunn O))). They play in town on the 16th, Bellingham on the 15th.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Boris did Flood 3 and 4 as their last two songs :stare:

It went on for about half an hour and I stood there with my jaw open for easily more than five minutes straight, I think I forgot to breathe.

They also opened with 8 minutes of pure doom :woop:

Great gig, so happy they just played such a variety.

That's pretty slick. I really want to see Boris play.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Just got my Sunn 0))) tickets for Sunday and plenty of earplugs. Ready to rock and drone.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

High on Fire for 16 bucks on saturday? Hmm.

That's 16 more dollars than the last time I saw them! :crossarms:

You must be down in Oregon. I'm planning on seeing them tomorrow. Love me some HoF.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I saw HoF in Chicago and the show was pretty boring. :(

Goatwhore slayed, though.

He sobered up IIRC, so getting back on the wagon might make the performances vary. I dunno. Either way, I'm sure it'll be worthwhile.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Played tonight, and it was incredible. Maximum volume yields maximum results.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So jealous. Sunn played once in Ireland like...8 years ago I think? and haven't been back since, I wasn't into them back then but I'd pay good money to see them now.

That's lame. I think they're supposed to be starting a Euro tour shortly, but may be misremembering. It's really worth seeing, if for no other reason than you get to feel sound like no other way. As an unexpected bonus, Earth played before Sunn O))). I already got to see them a couple weeks ago, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a welcome surprise.

Juaguocio posted:

but I kept flashing back to the Richard's on Richards show in 2007 where Pike's guitar was almost painfully loud, and he was so into it that he almost kicked me in the head.
It was a decent show here in Seattle, but it was really lacking in the enthusiasm. I think it was made more pronounced by how into their performance Goatwhore was. They're not really my thing either, but I'll be damned if they weren't fun to watch.

Juaguocio posted:

I thought Lo Pan were good but pretty repetitive.

I really liked Lo Pan. I was going to skip seeing them, but changed my mind last minute. I'm pretty glad I did.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

h_double posted:

Wanna put in a good word for Admiral Browning. They're a really tight instrumental trio, I'd describe their sound as sort of "progressive stoner".

They have (I think) three albums out now, and just re-released their first record as pay what you want (including free).

I gave it a shot and thought it was pretty decent, though not my style. I almost think they are more of a prog group than sludge; really Racer X-like.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I think Weedeater has pretty much solidified my decision to go this year.

Ugh. I'm willing to go cross-country to do this, but drat will that cost. I could catch just about everyone I want to see on the west coast next year, but Bolt Thrower. . .

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRNMklh92K4

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Juaguocio posted:

Oh no, the time signature shifts were absolutely intentional, and meticulously planned. If you listen to the fast proto-Dopesmoker from the '94 Hawkwind tour, you can hear how some of the parts were originally just straight 4/4. The weirdness didn't set in until they started to slow the tempo way down.

The March 2006 issue of Decibel has the most comprehensive story of Dopesmoker by far. I thoroughly recommend it to all interested parties.

Is it the same as what they (re?)printed in Precious Metal?

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

QPZIL posted:

In light of the plagiarism, Sunn O))) just posted on Facebook that they have a new collaboration album with Boris coming out in march!!

I'm so excited, Altar is amazing.

Yes. Yesyesyesyesyes.

Sunn O))) should ride on the Boris tour to do it up right.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Got my tickets for the Seattle show, and amped to see Orange Goblin. I figured I wouldn't ever get a chance to see them live. I'm seriously relieved that they aren't doing the show in the poo poo-rear end venue that Clutch was played in last time they were here.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Three students play Dopesmoker, in its entirety, from sheet music. The guitar parts are played with a cello.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTSsxFMdS30

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

If the vocals didn't blow out everything and the cello didn't get drowned out so often, I would totally listen to this all the time.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Handen posted:

Earth Rocker leaked today.

I'm going to give this another few listens when it comes out. I listened to it at my buddy's place and was sadly underwhelmed. It was definitely better than Strange Cousins, though.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I agree on both points there. It's not a bad album, really. I think a lot of my impression is partly my fault because I had bought into the hype of this being "way heavy", and a return to older Clutch albums. I went into the album expecting that, and I don't think it delivers if that's what you're after.

However, the line "I'm a warmonger, baby, gonna industrialize ya" still has me cracking up.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Velocirocktor posted:

Anyway has anyone heard Stonehenge's album Bunch of Bisons? A friend linked it on Facebook maybe a month or so ago and I've been rocking it almost nonstop since. Really groovy psychedelic stoner stuff, like a harder driving Colour Haze almost. Dripping with lush organ, great riffing and a funky rhythm section. Really, really good.

I let the first track start playing and listened to the whole album. I almost never do that with bandcamp links. Seriously good stuff.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

Honestly my biggest gripe about Earth Rocker is that they compressed the poo poo out of JP's snare and it sounds pretty bad. Other than that it's a fun album.

Another listen through headphones improved my opinon considerably. The Face really strikes me as Temples of Syrinx origin fan fiction, which I thought was really cool.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

foonykins posted:

Hey NY goons,

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/eventV2/218887/tfly?wrKey=4B37F3205E184C45957256150F16A63A

Please don't buy all the tickets up, I'm broke till Friday :smith:

Damnit. Why can't the be from the other end of Canada so we can see them in Seattle?

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

My friends would always look at me like I had a second head with a bad hat on it if I mentioned I never cared for QotSA. Never got the love for them, though. Kind of bland sounding to me. Regardless, I got to go see Yob last weekend, and that was some badass poo poo. They did two shows, but I only caught the first night, as that wiped me out. Recommended.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Mandactyl posted:

Makes me wish I still had a car with a cassette deck, because this would be the best 8 bucks ever spent:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleep-Dopes...=item27d1ba15ae

it's. . . beautiful.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

:ducksiren::ducksiren:MELVINS 30TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR, Y'ALL:ducksiren::ducksiren:

30th Anniversary Tour with Honky
July 12, 2013 - Phoenix, AZ - Crescent Ballroom
July 13, 2013 - Albuquerque, NM - The Launchpad
July 15, 2013 - Denver, CO - The Summit Music Hall
July 17, 2013 - Omaha, NE - The Waiting Room
July 18, 2013 - Rock Island, IL - Rock Island Brewing Company
July 20, 2013 - Minneapolis, MN - Grumpy’s (Bash-13 Festival)
July 21, 2013 - Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall Ballroom (w/Mudhoney)
July 22, 2013 - Chicago, IL - Double Door
July 23, 2013 - St. Louis, MO - The Firebird
July 25, 2013 - Cleveland, OH - The Grog Shop
July 26, 2013 - Detroit, MI - Small’s
July 27, 2013 - Syracuse, NY - The Westcott Theater
July 29, 2013 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
July 30, 2013 - Hartford, CT - Arch Street Tavern
July 31, 2013 - Brooklyn, NY - TBA
August 1, 2013 - Philadelphia, PA - Underground Arts
August 2, 2013 - Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
August 3, 2013 - Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
August 4, 2013 - Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
August 5, 2013 - Atlanta, GA - The Loft at Center Stage Atlanta
August 7, 2013 - New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jack’s
August 8, 2013 - Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
August 9, 2013 - Austin, TX - Mohawk
August 10, 2013 - Dallas, TX - Trees
August 13, 2013 - Salt Lake City, UT - Club Sound
August 14, 2013 - Boise, ID - Neurolux
August 16, 2013 - Seattle, WA - Neumo’s
August 19, 2013 - Vancouver, BC - Commodore Ballroom
August 20, 2013 - Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
August 22, 2013 - San Francisco, CA - Slim’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I AM CARVALLO posted:

Any word on what the lineup will be?

Not that I've seen, but I'm guessing Pinkus is on bass. Honky is touring with them, and there's a Melvins/Pinkus EP that has been mentioned to be on the way.

I saw the body open for Earth a few months back, and they were incredible. If you have a chance, go see them. On a side note, why do so many awesome acts come from R.I.?