Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

dISEMBOWLMENT are one of my favorite doom bands. Will def be checking this out. Thank you for.posting it.

The Inverloch EP is really good. Obviously it doesn't quite touch Transcendence into the Peripheral, but it is still enjoyable. I saw them live recently, and I am 100% sure that it is one of the most heavy and despondent live shows I have ever seen. Totally draining. They played all of TitP as well as all of the new EP. It was a shame that the venue was half empty, but it didn't stop it from feeling like a very special show.

RE: Baroness, I can't wait for Yellow/Green, that song sounded fantastic.

RE: Anhedonist, Pallbearer's album is probably my album of the year at the moment, so I will be sure to check that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
What do people here think of Wreck and Reference? They're a doom/doomgaze/drone whatever you want to call it group from the US. All of their instrumentation is digital. Initially I had written them off as needlessly pretentious, as often the effects they use sound pretty drat close to a guitar anyway, so why not just use one? but since the release of their latest album, No Youth, they have started to grow on me.

They have been pretty well received critically (so far as I can tell), so I was just wondering, am I the only one missing out on what makes these guys so special?

Those who have listened, what do you think?

Those who are interested in checking them out can download their releases for free from Bandcamp

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Fan filmed footage of another new Baroness song "March to the Sea"

So stoked on this album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Fishing for recommendations so what have been people's favourite doom/stoner/sludge albums so far this year?

For me the reigning champions are definitely Pallbearer (Sorrow and Extinction) and High On Fire (Des Vermis Mysteriis). I have also enjoyed Conan (Monnos) a lot. Other than that I'm not really sure I've heard anything that's grabbed me that much. Horse Latitudes (Awakening) was alright, but it failed to hold my attention.

So, what albums have you heard that have particularly impressed you so far this year?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Crackerman posted:

Do Torche count as stoner rock? I'm reasonably sure I got them from this thread and I've barely stopped listening their new album Harmonicraft since it came out. It's probably one of the most uplifting things I've heard recently if that's what you're into.

I'll give it a bash. I heard their previous effort once I think but it didn't make much of an impression on me. Always willing to give artists another chance though, I think I am more open-minded about music than I was when I first listened to them. Thanks.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Asnorban posted:

If by previous effort you mean Songs for Singles that is an easy pass. Meanderthal was by far their best, and In Return and the new one are pretty good. The new one (Harmonicraft) is loads better than Songs for Singles, which was pretty drat bland in my opinion.

I actually meant Meanderthal :$ , looks like I'll have to give that another chance too. I suspect I listened to it when grim and serious music was all I was interested in.

Anyway, another cool sludgey album got released today:

Black Moth- The Killing Jar
Sounds very much like a stoner rock/sludge PJ Harvey to me. Really good. Her voice is very strong, and the riffs are appropriately heavy. The guitar tone is pretty much to die for in my opinion. I haven't finished listening to it yet but I'd already be happy to recommend it. There are some nice faster gallop-y bits throughout the album as well.

EDIT: I finished the album and my recommendation still stands. The penultimate track is an early favourite.

It's available to stream on Spotify here if you use that. If not I think it is available from all usual music outlets.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 7, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Did anyone get to any of the Old Man Gloom shows and get a copy of the new record? Anyone? If you did, what's the verdict?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The only show which I'd go to in the band playing's merch is an Iron Maiden show.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I didn't go to any of the shows, but I have been listening to a rip of the vinyl. It does not disappoint. It's extremely heavy, has some super sinister ambient sections. I really like it.

For anyone who missed it/is interested, Old Man Gloom preorders went up. I think all the exciting vinyl colours are gone now, but I'd act fast if you want to grab something (unless you're waiting for the CD or whatever). It kind of annoys me that they didn't put a song up to sample or anything. Kind of puts me off ordering. Oh well.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I figured them for a sort of boring Kylesa. Was not impressed at all. They had one great song that was second last in their set.

They come under the category of "bands I want to like, but just don't..." I have one of their albums and I can't get into it at all. Glad I am not alone.

So much Sleep envy here. They're in London today and I can't go :(

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
My general impression from the internet at large is that a lot of people don't like the new Ahab album. Personally (from one listen) I think it sounds brilliant. The cleans are great, there are still the earth rattling, low growls, and the instrumentation, is, as ever, top notch. Giving Old Man Gloom- NO a spin now, will report back with impressions later...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

My future children are going to be deaf thanks to YOB

I am seeing YOB next weekend, can't wait :D Hellfest's doom line-up is loving incredible this year!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
+1 for Baroness worship, new track is stunning, absolutely stunning.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Bit the bullet and ordered the Baroness- Yellow & Green vinyl. I got the Yellow/Green coloured LPs, standard edition, so excited for it to arrive. I hope it lives up to the samples/reviews! Gutted I missed Eula when they streamed it on that radio show.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

I've been looking for it all around to no avail. I dunno about the :filez: thing, but I think it's worth sacrificing your account so I can listen.

I suspect it would be frowned upon :( I will have to wait impatiently. I listened to all of the amazon samples last night, I can't loving wait!

On another topic: Which is the Earth album which is considered to be the pioneering drone one? I can't remember, but I really want to listen to it! I have Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull and it's fantastic.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
BARONESS- EULA REAL STREAM NOW.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

(Edited with a direct link to the stream instead of Metalsucks' report on it)

nomapple fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 25, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Velocirocktor posted:

Oh what a shocker, this song is great, too. All the songs they've revealed so far have been from Yellow, right? I'm really curious to hear what Green sounds like, especially with the "pastoral art rock" descriptor on that spin.com link. 3 weeks to go.

Yeah Eula is off the end of Yellow I believe. Apparently Yellow sort of bleeds in to Green at the end, so it probably has a taste of what's to come. I heard Green described as "melancholic post-rock", I can't loving wait, either way.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Uuuuuurgh I don't know whether I can wait for my Y&G vinyl to arrive now! Probably won't listen tonight as I have an unquenchable thirst for the iciest black metal I can find, but I really can't wait for this album!

Grey Dynamite posted:

Didn't see them mentioned the last few pages, but Witch Mountain have a new album out. Super-sick bluesy doom with absolutely amazing female vocals. No words I could write would would do them justice, so let the song do the talking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCYB5UzkQM

I've only heard South of Salem so far but I like the tracks I've streamed from the new one. Hoping to order a copy soon! Her voice is stunning.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Y&G full stream on NPR now for those of you who want to hear it but don't want the leak.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

Booked Baroness tickets. Looking forward to impending loud music. Damned jealous of Manchester though, who got Bossk for support :argh:

edit: that new Ufomammut track sounds great so far!

drat jealous of anyone seeing Baroness. The London date sold out before I realised there was one. Commencing first listen of Y&G as we speak and so far I think it's fantastic. I like that the preview tracks they released didn't give away all of the album's secrets. I knew it wasn't going to be heavy in the way that earlier Baroness was, but it is still mellower than I was anticipating. I hope I enjoy the rest of the album! Sea Lungs just started and it sounds loving awesome...

e: I loved the whole album, but that was a lot to digest! Looks like I have many repeat listens ahead of me! What a shame :(

nomapple fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 11, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Really excited for the OM release on Monday, can't wait to hear it! I also recently ordered the new Witch Mountain so I'm really looking forward to hearing that. I checked out a couple of tracks on Youtube, and I have South of Salem, but I am looking forward to hearing the whole album. As stoner/doom goes I think it's between Pallbearer/High on Fire/Ahab for my AOTY. It's been an amazing year for doom, that High on Fire album has so much replay value.

e: Oh, and Y&G is up there too, but reception in this thread is pretty mixed, and even though Baroness are part of the genre, I do not consider Y&G to be, as much as I'm loving the hell out of it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Diseased Yak posted:

I can scarcely believe my good fortune. Check out the show that's happening where in live in September:

Will be my first time seeing any of these bands (except for Rwake, who are local dudes) live. I'm most excited for YOB as I worship them like they deserve.

Holy poo poo I am so jealous of this bill.

And RE: the goon asking about OMG, I didn't really like it on first listen, but it really grew on me, and now I would strongly recommend it. I found it a bit too abrasive and noisy on first listen, but on subsequent listens I picked up more melody, and ended up really loving it. The whole album is available to stream on their bandcamp if you want to try before you buy.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Speaking of SL, I see they're reissuing HoF's debut. Is this worth my time/money? I haven't heard it before, so I was wondering whether it was actually good, or just the fact that it is HoF means it will sell.

Also, recs for stuff similar to OM?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

bleedbackwards posted:

Are people talking about the new Conan album, Monnos yet? The first track had me headbanging within ten seconds of the fist riff and it only gets better from there.

e: Looks like it leaked months ago so I'm late on this but drat it's good.

I think the album is great up to "Golden Axe" but the last two tracks lose me a bit. Battle in the Swamp is probably my favourite track on the album, but Hawk as Weapon is great as well, obviously :D

Has anyone else heard the new Evoken album, Atra Mors yet? I got it when it came out and god drat, it's amazing. It has the pace of a diSEMBOWELMENT album and the atmosphere of a Skepticism record. It is basically my idea of a perfect funeral doom record and I can't get enough of it. The keyboards really do enhance the atmosphere, and when they want to go all out with a bludgeoning riff, they really do. Even though, like many doom albums, it clocks in at over an hour, it never feels that long, as the pace is good enough that it never drags.

If you were left disappointed by Ahab, and are hankering for some more straight up funeral doom, get this. If you loved the new Ahab, and you want another great funeral doom album, get this.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

Came to post this pretty much. Let's hope there are no fatalities and everyone recovers.

The rest of the European tour has been cancelled as a result, and the band are receiving medical attention

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Space human being posted:

What are some other bands that sound like Warning? I've been listening to Watching From A Distance and I want some more depressing music.

If you weren't aware, 40 Watt Sun is Pat Walker's (Warning Vocals) new project, and it sounds pretty much exactly like Warning. The Inside Room is a very good album.

Warning are a pretty unique band IMO, but these bands are similarish I guess:
Pallbearer
Ahab's new stuff

Those 2 are the closest I can think of personally although you might find some more that you like in the Last.fm similar artists page This is done on genre tags so recommendations should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Not sure it's really worth the 10+ years it took to produce, but the new Bedemon album is pretty drat interesting if you're an old school Pentagram fan.

I found this painfully dull :/ It definitely outstayed it's welcome. Some of the lead guitar lines were good though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

abske_fides posted:

Has there been any decent funeral doom metal releases this year? I haven't heard one funeral album that impressed in awhile by now, and I'm quite sad that Longing for Dawn broke up :(

The new Evoken is totally amazing. If you're being picky it's probably more "death doom" as it has more changes in pace than a band like Mournful Congregation or Skepticism, but it really is excellent. I highly recommend it. Also I haven't heard it but there was a fair amount of buzz around the Anhedonist record that came out earlier this year so if you haven't heard it either you might like that.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Idioteque Dance posted:

Sludge's arguably best and unarguably least prolific band, Bossk, have released a new track! Get it from http://bosskonline.com as a free download.

So that makes 5 songs in 7 years. As usual, though, it's really good poo poo.

Cheers for the heads up, they are playing Damnation Festival in Leeds in November and I am totally going, so I should probably check them out. Bummed out that Amenra and Electric Wizard clash though!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Gushing Granny posted:

It's the trumpet crescendo man, I swear.

I also checked out some of YOB's albums, both The Great Cessation and Atma. They're pretty great and I wish I could have seen them live from what the rest of you say about them. Adrift In The Ocean is by far my favourite song by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnijxVBQ1A4

I saw Yob and SunnO))) at Hellfest and it was amazing. I totally need to check out more of their stuff. Although it's quite different to the rest of their stuff (or so I gather), I really like the Sunn/Boris collab. Atma is a great album, Prepare the Ground sounded fantastic live, the crowd was just.... a moving sea of bodies. It wasn't really a pit, but there was a bit of a crush at the front. It was so heavy and weird and disorientating. SunnO))) live was more like a sensory experience, as opposed to witnessing a concert. The vibrations were shuddering straight through me, and when they stopped playing I felt genuinely exhausted. They have an incredible live presence.
Hellfest's doom stage this year was too good though. I am hoping for Sleep/High on Fire for the 2012 edition though. Really wish I hadn't missed Colour Haze now as well :(

(Hellfest was back in June but the posts about Yob and Sunn just reminded me how awesome they were, definitely stand out acts from that weekend)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

I know they've been posted here once or twice before because that's how I heard of them. Whenever I listen to that album I always end up with Stormy Monday stuck on a loop in my head for a couple days. Good stuff, people should check them out.

I really like the cover art and this sounds cool. Aside from Neurosis, are there any albums we're still waiting for? I need even more High on Fire/Sleep-esque monumental riffs in my life. I listened to Dopesmoker in the dark the other night, and now I am hooked. Neurosis will surely deliver a fantastic album, but not those sort of riffs :(

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Keith Kirkum (former?) has impregnated a wife witch?!?!? This cannot end well.

:lol:

If you like your doom with a strong side helping of death, Indesinence's new album, Vessels of Light and Decay is streaming here for 1 week only! I reckon I'm about 1 song in and it seems promising so far.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Apologies if this has been posted here before, but I just came across it. Basically one of the guys who runs Doomantia, a dedicated doom metal info and reviews site underwent heart surgery and has a massive medical bill to pay off. To help him do this, they've put together a 4 hour doom compilation available off Bandcamp for $7 USD. The compilation looks pretty good, and it goes to a good cause, so I thought it would be worth posting here.

Also any vinyl fans who missed out the first time, Southern Lord have second presses of the Dopesmoker reissue available now, on blue vinyl with a metallic jacket, or purple vinyl with a regular jacket. These look really awesome, I wouldn't hang about waiting though as I reckon they'll go pretty quick.

OK enough of sounding like I'm just trying to sell you things! Did anyone hear the new Eyehategod 7"? Releasing a 45 second sample online was really loving stupid. Is it any good?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
So, Honor Found in Decay. I waited for my preorder to arrive to hear this one. So far I am finding it pretty difficult to get into. I expected it to be dense, but I think the fact that it is pretty mellow by their standards, and the fact that it moves at a slow pace contributes to this. I like the sounds overall, but Bleeding the Pigs, for example, is totally passing me by at the moment. The first 3 tracks are totally fantastic though. Hopefully with repeat listens I'll really get into it. I don't think Neurosis records are supposed to be instant anyway.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The Roadburn announcements have been awesome today. I'll just sit here, stewing about how I'm not going! High on Fire's double set. Unnnnffff. Are any of you lucky shits going?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Reporting in from Doom Over London III, headlined by AHAB.

The first band I saw was Faal, who played good, melodic doom. The keyboards were very much at the front of the mix but their music was very miserable and I enjoyed it immensely. They were followed by The Drowning, who had more of a death/doom thing going on. They were also pretty great, the first 2 songs they played were definitely the best and I kind of felt like they lost momentum after that. Then there was Witchsorrow who play fairly traditional doom but with more death-y vocals. I found them alright but they didn't really interest me much. Then Indesinence came out and ate everyone, playing a range of material from their first demo up to their most recent album, it was a really good set, although I was surprised and disappointed by the distinct lack of "Paradigms" in the setlist. Fading (Further Beyond) sounded monstrous though. Officium Triste were basically Skepticism worship, although I thought they were pretty good. Then Ahab came out and crushed everyone. They played a fair bit from The Giant, but enough old stuff to keep other fans happy. Even though I personally really enjoyed The Giant, I must confess, the older stuff comes across a lot better in the live environment. The drifting, non heavy bits of The Giant didn't really translate that well at all, although Antarctica The Polymorphess was definitely a personal highlight. They sounded nauseatingly heavy, and were pleasingly melancholic too. Highly recommended.

All in all the event itself was very well organised, I liked the fact that they didn't try to cram too many bands on the bill (doors opened at 2 in the afternoon) and I think everyone from Witchsorrow onwards had an hour's set, with Ahab playing a little longer. Those kinds of set times, in my experience, are unheard of for all day gigs.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Seventh Rule are giving everything away for free on their Bandcamp for Black Friday. Go download some Kongh, Indian, BATILLUS, Lord Mantis and Author & Punisher.

Also Panopticon is the best ISIS album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah, Al gets bigger and sweatier every time I see him live, I guess smoking literally tons of weed does that to you.
All of the riffs are stored in their beer/weed bellies. I wouldn't complain. Also I saw via @noyokono's twitter account (journo for Metalsucks and Popmatters), that Sleep is a "full, reunited band". New album??

And before I go I'm gonna throw out a recommendation for Switchblade because they are monumentally heavy and like a darker, maybe dronier Yob, but they still throw the odd almost punky, catchy as gently caress riff out there. Go listen.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Gonna throw in a recommendation for Amenra. I hear good things about their new album, Mass V, and they were intense as hell when I saw them live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Groke posted:

Speaking of stuff in that corner of the genre, gotta mention Fall of Efrafa. Which is all about militant atheism, veganism and Watership Down.

Hgh Fall of Efrafa are the greatest. I'll also throw in a rec for Light Bearer, who contain members of Fall of Efrafa. Great post-metal based on His Dark Materials and Atheism. Highly recommended.