Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I guess it's time to close the Summer 2010 thread.

The Right Reverend Genesplicer
228 Roberge Ave
Banning, CA 92220-4040
USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I am the worst person ever. I have received several very nice letters from several people (Some people twice) and I have not replied at all.

Chalk this up to a couple of things.

#1. I have been busy. The school year is coming to a close, and this is crunch time. (That, however, doesn't excuse the fact that some of these letters came in a month ago.)
#2. I like to take pictures of my goodies and I have not had the camera, as it is at my wife's classroom. (but I still have another camera, if I'd get off my rear end and charge it.)
#3. I have been busy making some really nice replies. (which still doesn't excuse me.)
#4. I'm a lazy sack and just couldn't motivate myself to take pictures and write a thank you in this thread.
#5. I'm a reprehensible person and I'm worse than Hilter.

So, thanks all who sent me stuff, particularly those who sent me more than one thing, despite the fact that I didn't reply the first time.

So thanks for your patience, and I will strive to be a better human in the future.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Palette swap posted:

My request was fulfilled by Keetron.

And I also received some nice stuff from lamb.

Thank you both. I'll try to send some letters before next Tuesday.

I got another nice pack from Lamb,too! I love the scratch-off cards. They are a lot of fun!

Lamb, where did you get those?

I will be using the silly bands for bribes for my students.

Thanks!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I got AWESOME mail from Lamb and Team Lunch! A pirate kitty with a papercraft creepy lady from Lamb, and a delightfully creepy card with additional pony stuff from Team Lunch. Ready your UV lights, I'm sending out a few more cards!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I've received a pile of cards and letters recently! Lotsa great stuff and I wanted to post it all. However...

We also got a new kitten about 3 weeks ago. She decided that spilling my coffee onto part of the pile was a good idea. I did not agree, but if you sent me a postcard recently, I'm sorry but my kitten smeared the ink to unreadability, so I can't see who to thank. The pictures survived, for the most part, but any messages were lost, and I didn't thank you soon enough.

She also got a pile of my student papers, but luckily the names were not obliterated.

She's named Guinness and this is the little bastard right here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

when worlds collide posted:

I don't know what she's talking about, but she sounds like she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. ;)

You can send anything overseas that you send locally, for lettermail anyway, as long as you put the correct postage on it and it doesn't have any restricted products inside like fruit.

The only difference is that sending overseas you might have to make sure it's lighter or put a lot more postage on, as they tend to fuss about that once in awhile. Often my international mail goes through just fine though, your mileage may vary.

I still remember the onion skin paper you used to have to use when sending a letter overseas, back before the internet. And the envelopes had the red and blue markings, heh. Correa Aereo, Par Avion, le antique sigh. Flygpost!

Yep! I remember the good-old airmail envelopes. For you whippersnappers, before WWII, all mail basically went by ship, which could take days, if not weeks. After the war, air travel became more common, and you could ship by airmail instead. You paid a higher fee to get there faster, and the red and blue stripes on the envelope distinguished the letters. Nowadays that has been changed to first class and priority mail, but it's rare that a letter would go by ship. Parcels occasionally still go that way, but even that's rare unless it's a large thing.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 9, 2011

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I have a HUGE pile of things that I need to thank various people for. Lots of great cards and thingies. I also did some calculations, and I can send a postcard to every single person who has signed up in this thread for less than $60 in postage. Time to get out the cardstock, rubber stamps and markers!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Woo Hoo! More goonmail! Now I'm even more of a dick for not posting pictures!

(I will be posting pictures. Promise. I have a whole box of stuff that goons have sent me and I have not posted, and I even worked on some of the coloring pages!)

So, I'll be posting pictures soon. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY...

Mrs. Genesplicer made some special Valentine's cards for me, so some of you will be getting something special before I send out my next batch of postcards.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Thermophonic Joy! We are eagerly awaiting your card! Don't worry about sending a girly stuff. We just love exchanging cards and goodies. Goons are a creative (or at the very least interesting and unpredictable) lot and we just like seeing what they can create.

And Mrs. Genesplicer won't be bothered. She likes the cards as much as I do, if not more.

We are already planning out the next round of cards, and I think its time for me to do some more of my odd little postcards. It's been a while.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Rufus En Fuego posted:

So, I, uh...bought a Cricut last night. It was on sale at Michael's.

Someone stop me.

You could do like my mom does. She spells out messages in individual letters, then sends the jumbles out to us for us to solve. It's endlessly annoying!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Yessssss, my cards are arriving!

Is it just me, or does it seem like USPS is getting slower? I feel like I was able to get mail across the country in only a couple of days just a few years ago.

Stupid government cutbacks grumble grumble grumble.

Sometimes its not the USPS. I am notoriously slow at adding my thanks to this thread. I have a nice, large pile of cards that I need to acknowledge. I'm a terrible person, but I am slowly terrible.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 10, 2012

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Yesterday, a veritable avalanche of goonentines fell from my mailbox! Wow! I'll be posting thanks and pictures later on, when I bring my camera back from work.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I've received so much nice stuff in the past month it is unbelievable. I need to get it all together and take one big picture of everything. It's amazing how much you can get in the way of nifty little geegaws, and amazing how much of an interest my cats take in all of it. Lamb the little stretchy rabbit you sent has been all over the house as kitties toss it every which way...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Yay! I got a very nice Father's Day card from Thermophonic Joy!!! It came complete with a bunch of stickers and a Canadian Flag! The insect stamps on the front were amazing! Thanks!!!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
While shutting down my classroom for the summer, I decided to go through a bunch of boxes of old stuff I've collected over the years. One thing I found was a bag of propaganda from NASA. Mostly posters, brochures and the like. but one thing in the bag was a stack of postcards.

So guess what some of you will be getting in the near future?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Last week, I sent out a stack of greeting cards made by Mrs. Genesplicer to some of my Co-American goons. Tomorrow, 4 more of those cards go out (This time to my non-co-Canadian goons), plus 22 NASA-based postcards to places around the world (including the United States and Canada)!

Now that Summer Vacation has started, I have a bit of time to do some actual Genesplicer postcards!

I also have enough stamps so that everyone should be able to get one!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I got a postcard from Team Lunch, commemorating the great work that the Wright Brothers did. However, what was amazing was the cat she drew on the back! I'm really impressed and cheered by this kitty, which will be displayed in my art museum/studio for all to see!

Thanks!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Thermophonic Joy posted:

I just found a pile of goonmail under a big mess on my desk! I forgot to mail it! Sorry, goons. I'll mail it tomorrow morning along with the bunch I'm working on now.

Is it just me, or are our numbers dwindling? I just see the same few (wonderful) people posting in the last few pages. :saddowns:

I have about 40 of my postcards ready to go out. All I have to do is address them. I also have to thank some folks for their letters to me.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Miryei sent me a postcard with a boat! Thanks!
(I also have other cool things, from other cool goons, and I'm working on them, before I send out thanks!)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I got home late last night, grabbed the mail out of the box and dropped it on the table without looking at it. This morning I was running late, so I just riffled through it without paying much attention. HOWEVER, I did notice that I got a nice, thick envelope from Lamb! I'm happy, because I have something to look forward to after work. And since my students are being a bit jerky today, it's kinda nice to have something to look forward to. (Apart from seeing Mrs. Genesplicer. She makes every day worth living.)

Thanks Lamb!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

cuntvalet posted:

I know this is the wrong thread but I was hoping maybe somebody would know...when does SASSmas start this year? Figured I'd ask since this thread is somewhat related.

Here's the thread, Enjoy! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515255

Edit: Missed it by that much! I should not have paused to answer a student's question.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Kafka's Goldfish!!! Thanks for the great Pink Floyd postcard, complete with nekkid lady sticker and octopus stamp! As for the story about chocolate and Sauerkraut juice... Uhhh... whatever turns your crank, I guess. :) Personally, I would have stopped at the chocolate. But then, I like salted and baconed chocolate, so I'm not one to talk.

And Lamb, I'm busy working on the picture you gave me. I'll post it when it's done...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
If I have not thanked you for all the awesome cards you've been sending me and Mrs. Genesplicer, (Which is highly likely), let me take the opportunity to thank you now.

pezmaster

cuntvalet

kafka's goldfish

Unexpected Road

Lamb

Fluffy Bunnies

Team lunch

And anyone else who I forgot. (It has been hell at work recently. We switched from a trimester to a quarter/semester system and I'm in charge of transitioning our assessment program. What that has meant to the administration is that it's the perfect opportunity to completely overhaul how we assess and grade our kids, and I get the privilege of figuring out how to do this without pissing anybody off. So I have to come up with a system that's both completely uniform, yet still allows for individual choice...)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Happyfacecrazy posted:

Really want to do this but afraid to put down address :ohdear: Might send a few off anyway :)

I don't think it's that big a deal. I've done it for years and have never had a problem. Of course, who'd want to stalk a old, fat fart like me...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Happyfacecrazy posted:

Feck it! I'm in :)

Ms. D Neary
4 Togher Way
Urlingford
Co. Kilkenny
Ireland

Going to pick up a few cards this week. Excited :dance:

Kilkenny! I got nicely toasted there a few years back, before heading off to Waterford to look at ceramics and crystal. (Protip: Do not consume excess alcohol before deciding to examine delicate crystal and ceramics. I was very, very lucky.)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I will make one especially for you, party hat!

Also, anyone here have a pug? If yes, could you please share his/her name? How about any "Wizard of Oz" fans?

I have a pug. His name is Simon Pugg. He's named for one of my favorite actors, although he looks more like Nick Frost...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I M JACK and Cuntvalet Thank you for the cards! They are great, and the pile of goon cards grows.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Kafka's Goldfish! Thanks for the kawaii coffepot needlepoint! Very sweet!

On a related note, has anyone received my cards? I have not heard from anyone (Goon and nongoon alike) and am a bit concerned that the entire box went astray. That will be the last time I drop off a box of rubber band - bound envelopes at the post office.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 29, 2012

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

when worlds collide posted:

I got something from you today!! Thank you Mr and Mrs. Genesplicer! I loved it, I like monkeys. :D The ornament is very pretty and the cards were nifty. I was so happy to find Splicermail in me mailbox. Cause you give good mail. And you and I have been doing this for a long time now! Tradition. :)

Wow, that took forever. I mailed those on the 6th or 7th. I stand by what I say. No more boxes and rubber bands. Apparently they slowed down the process...

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Palette swap posted:

I got your card on saturday.

It's relly cute. Thank you. (Did you get what I sent?)
Also thanks everybody in this thread for the amazing mail this year and I hope it continues this year.
Happy New Year !

Why, yes, I did. I didn't mention it earlier, Sorry, I thought I did. I have to say, you are truly sick, allowing your students to draw Slenderman.
I thought I was the only one who did that.

And I must also add that the Archie/Breaking Bad mashup was also frightening.

Thanks!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

PezMaster posted:

Picked up my mail that was held over from Christmas yesterday - BOOM GOON LOVIN' ALL OVER THE PLACE!

Aunt Buck sent me a big ol' sparkly card and a bunch of stickers for my students. Gave them out today and there were at least two girls who had stickers all over their faces by lunch time. Lamb provided me with some awesome ghostbuster cards (p sure I had a whole set of them when I was a kid!) and some neato tea (I've never thought of sending tea through the mail like that) among other things. DLAO provided us with a new sparkly ornament and a cute crane (which has already been claimed by one of my students). Fellow teacher Genesplicer sent monkeys. So many monkeys. A pictures of two kitties came from the lovely marlowe can you go(you're on my valentine's list, missy). And, last but not least, an awesome little beaded bracelet from Opera Bitch. I'll be attaching that to my school bag :) Thank you so much, everyone! I've got to figure out what to do with all these cards - hmm . . .

My students are doodling in their free time, Killamajig has coloured up a storm, and I've ordered some really amazingly cute Star Wars and Avengers cards over Scholastic (I love being a teacher). Can't wait!

There's always room for more monkeys!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Got a very nice laser-etched card from When Worlds Collide. Brightened up a day when my boss had been a bit of a jerk. Thanks!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I got cards and letters!

First, Shoozy, thanks for all the neat bits.
And Opera Bitch Thanks as well.
When Worlds Collide a third thanks to you.

Now, why am I being generic?

Because of this beast:

Her name is Guinness (Gus-Gus for short). I had opened your three letters at the same time and put them on my table. Then Gus leaped up onto the table, attacking the pile of papers and cards with wild abandon, scattering much of the contents about. So, there were some nice stickers and various other bit. (WWC, I assume anything Canadian, like the $.05 in Free Canadian Tire merchandise is from you. The Card with the bugs on it has lots of tooth marks, but the Darwin card survived. So, without being completely specific, thanks for the goodies! Now I must learn to open them away from my cat.

I also got card from Kafka's Goldfish which included a rather nice Shaun of the Dead cross-stitch. Mrs. Genesplicer really liked it, and grabbed a frame for it.

Thanks everyone!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Mizufusion posted:

I got a pretty St Patrick's Day card from the Genesplicers the other day! I found a nice place to put it on the bookcase. :dance:

Niemat posted:

I, too, received a beautiful card from the Genesplicers!! Thanks, guys!! :3: I can't wait to put it up in our new place!!

As a side note to my pen pals, I got stationary today. :smug: Now I can write actual letters with some heft and content!! :v:

If you tuck the front behind the buttons they stand up! Mrs. Genesplicer is getting creativer!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Hey genesplicer, did my card get to you alright? :ohdear:

Yes! Brian Cox is one of our current crushes (we both have a thing for astrophysicists, I just wish more of them were young, hot females). I've added the quote to my collection of Quotes I'm Going to Immortalize In Caligraphy, Once I Get Around To It. Thanks!

And Agnostic Prophet Sent us an amazing painting of a bird! Mrs. Genesplicer love bird-based art, and once we get a frame for it, we'll add a photo here. Thanks!

And, Lamb more goodies! Your letters are always so much fun! You must own stock in some novelty goods company!

Thanks, all three of you! (Actually four, if you count Harakiri, too, which I do!)

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 20, 2013

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Yay! Lamb sent us a bunch of Ishtar goodies! Thanks for the fun! (Mrs. Genesplicer took a picture of me wearing the bunny teeth. I need to get it off her phone.)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Interesting. Lamb got her card from us. However, one of the others came back, with a "not enough postage" stamp on it. Funny, Lamb is all the way across the country, and the returned one is in the same state. Not only that, but the P.O. says I need to add another $1.61 for postage FOR A LETTER...

Hmmmm. Something is wrong. Has anyone else received one of the cards with the crocheted flowers?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

13Pandora13 posted:

I did not get engaged, I got told my long term boyfriend is not moving with me. The day I found out I got the job. Also on his birthday.

It has been...simultaneously the best and worst day ever. Alternating crying and laughing.

Kafka's Goldfish and PitGoddess, I got your letters and will send replies when I am feeling less like a crazy person.

Also I will have a new address in July.

Sorry about the bad news! That is crappy. Also, I realized that I never thanked you for your last post to me. I got several on the same day, which just happened to be in the middle of a very stressful time at work (Doing state-mandated testing, a major grading time and doing retention/expulsion paperwork on several students) I don't even remember who sent me what. I do believe, however, that 13Pandora13 Sent me the nifty Glow-in-the-dark dinosaur which is currently sitting next to my computer screen.

So, thanks everybody who sent me cool stuff. I'm sorry I'm a jerk!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I was going through a box of school stuff (I'm busily working on the next school year) and I found a bunch of postcards that I made/acquired for sending out to goons. Some of them come from the Jon Stewart Rally for Sanity (that shows you how old they are, I guess.) If you are interested in a card, let me know and you will get some random weirdness. Otherwise, I'm sending them out to random folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I got a very nice card from FrenchNewWave. It featured the art of Georges Braque, who was a very cool artist.

Thanks for the art!

Also, I just finished a pile of postcards, which will be going out this week.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 6, 2013