Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How's this recipe for tea eggs? I've been rocking hard boiled eggs as a snack for a minute, need to spice them up a bit(pun intended). Is there really a big difference between the light and dark soy sauces, also? I always just use Kikkoman's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jhet posted:

Should be fine. Dark soy is thicker and sweeter, but you can get away without it. Honestly, I just make eggs however I want them cooked, make the tea mixture and put them in a jar together and toss them in the fridge. I bet the higher effort version would taste even better.

totalnewbie posted:

Recommend going to the Chinese market for Chinese soy sauces. Taste different and the dark is what really gives it the nice color.

Thanks for the advice!

Any brand of Chinese soy sauce that y'all recommend, and possibly have a picture of because I can't read Chinese and usually just go by pictures or wing it? Haha.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is Chinese cinnamon drastically different from cinnamon sticks I can buy at any grocery store? That was the one ingredient I couldn't snag from the tea eggs recipe.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Waci posted:

If you're somewhere in the English-speaking world, odds are the cinnamon sticks you buy in a grocery store ARE Chinese cinnamon.

Haha that's awesome, and I had no idea. Time to stink up my kitchen this Sunday. Thanks for the quick response!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tea eggs are simmering right now :toot:

Forgot stick cinnamon so I just tossed in a pinch of ground, and I also forgot rice wine :doh: Hopefully it still turns out good!

EDIT: So I just tried one of the eggs and... I'm perplexed. It didn't really have the cool marbling effect that I saw in the pictures, and only very faintly tasted different from a regular hardboiled egg. The recipe I posted above doesn't specify where you're supposed to steep the eggs, I did it in the fridge but could that have affected the outcome? I steeped them for 12 hours pretty much on the dot, but I'm wondering if I possibly did too many eggs. I tried 12 eggs when the recipe only calls for 6-8, I guess I might've diluted the liquid too much?

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Taima posted:

Kenji's pressure cooker pho ga is pretty good:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html#comments-27542

Doing some kind of chicken pho with a pressure cooker is probably about as easy as you'll get while retaining proper flavor. Probably best to forget about beef pho.

Would the broth freeze well from this recipe? I just realized I have 90% of the ingredients for this!

Also, does a star anise "pod" just mean the entire star anise, I'm assuming?