Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

low8284
May 20, 2003
Your Highness is a fantasy stoner comedy starring Danny McBride, James Franco, Natalie Portman, Zooey Deschanel, and Justin Theroux and directed by David Gordon Green of Pineapple Express fame.

Mcbride and Franco are two brothers who are on opposite ends of the spectrum. One is a questing prince, heir to the throne, and brave warrior who brings honor to his father. The other is a pot smoking buffoon who spends his days intoxicated and sleeping with any women he can get his hands on. Things go down and the two are forced to venture on a quest together eventually running into Natalie Portman.I won't go further into detail then that.

The movie is great, however I read a review that stated this is a very specific brand of humor and it's the absolute truth. If you enjoy ridiculous movies like Dumb and Dumber or Grandma's Boy, love Mcbride's character of Kenny Powers in Eastbound and Down ,and/or like lots of vulgar sexual humor, this is your movie. There's lots of humor and watching it I felt it to be a movie you could appreciate more with each viewing.

Even though the laugh out loud humor isn't persistent throughout the entire film, everything else makes up for it. All in all it's not a bad plot for a typical fantasy film and the special effects aren't too shabby . There are a few monsters and sword fights and a scene with lots of topless women. Natalie Portman is great and watching her says things like "...burns my beaver" is nothing short of classic.

As mentioned before, if you enjoy Danny Mcbride, you'll enjoy this movie.

I'm basing my rating on the fact that while Your Highness may not be the funniest movie I've ever seen, nor is it the best fantasy movie, the combination of the two, along with the actors made it awesome. I'd definitely see this again and will most likely be purchasing it upon release.

5/5

low8284 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
I caught this the other night and was really surprised at how consistently funny it was. I'll agree that it is a specific 'stoner' kind of humor, but if you're the type that can laugh at someone wearing a severed minotaur penis as a trophy, you'll enjoy this. Having heard that this was a fairly low-budget film, I have to say I was pretty drat impressed with some of the special effects. Having both Zooey Deschanel and Natalie Portman also doesn't hurt :v: My gf and I were still giggling as we left the theater, so I'll give this a 3.5 out of 5 for sheer retarded, potty humor.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I wasn't sober when I saw it, but that has to be the point of movies like this. It was pretty consistently funny, and the story wasn't horrible. The villain reminded me of Mugatu [Zoolander], which is a great thing. I think most SA posters will appreciate the fun poked at standard fantasy tropes. 3/5.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
One of the worst movies I've seen in theaters. All the humor relied on crudeness alone. It was just stuff like sexual references(even to child molestation at one point) and that they say "gently caress" and "poo poo" sometimes. That's it. That's the joke, and it lasts for 90 boring minutes or however long this was. There is nothing, not one thing, I can come up with as a positive for this movie.

This felt like zero effort was put toward making the movie funny.

0/5

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

There's a very simple litmus test for whether you will like this movie. If you have ever played Dungeons and Dragons with some friends when you were all stoned or drunk, you will love this movie. If you would have a good time watching 80s fantasy movies and drinking beer alone in your room after a hard day's work, you will love this movie.

If the person I have described does not sound like you, you will probably hate this movie.

5/5

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 15, 2012

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
This film was so god drat stupid that I feel like my IQ dropped 20 points watching it. Maybe it did, because I laughed like a moron the whole time. Slim makes a good point: there's definitely a niche here for nerds and gamers, and maybe that's why I liked it so much. Also, it never pretends to be anything it isn't: it's low-brow toilet humor that never lets off the gas pedal, and if that's what you expect going in, you drat sure won't be disappointed.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not going to spend much time justifying my reasons for enjoying this movie. I like Danny Mcbride and I like big rear end tittays.

4/5