Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

Okay but why did the aspect ratio keep changing in the scan

One of the comments said IIRC the effects shots were rendered and composited at the final presentation ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I noticed that too, it only goes widescreen when CGI/composites are onscreen. That may be the highest possible image fidelity but the format swapping would be distracting to me. I didn't even like it when they used different cameras for some parts of The Dark Knight and that was just a different ratio of widescreen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always quite liked the IMAX hybrid releases, because when the aspect ratio changes you know you’re in for some real fun. The only irk is when they do quick cuts in a scene and the AR shifts every few seconds and it doesn’t work so well.

Theatrical open mattes differ to retail ones because they’re designed to be projected with the tops and bottoms cut off, so the VFX parts having a difference aspect ratio aren’t seen by the audience.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

gabensraum posted:

Sonarr doesn't have such a fine-grained approach, but works well enough to enable a release profile and add this under the "Must Not Contain" section:

code:
/\b(dv|dovi|dolby[ .]vision)\b/i

The [ .] would need to be [ ._] in case a person doesnt have turn underscores to spaces enabled. it wont change a thing other than make a search with an underscore also match.

had to use perl to support a legacy project worth about a couple hundred thousand in profit so i got used to reading regex

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Rufus Ping posted:

use a CNAME rather than an A record

overseer.yourdomain.biz CNAME yourhomepc.noip.com.

(yourhomepc.noip.com then has an A record to your home IP - noip handle this part)

I ended up writing a small script that updates an Azure DNS record via the cli, rather than shady dynamic DNS providers.

Of course I also get free Azure credits that i never burn through. Pretty sure it'd be about $1/month if I had to pay for it.

I could probably save that money and use the domain.com API directly, but then I'd have to work that out and since their website is so lovely I'm betting it's not very good.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

EVIL Gibson posted:

The [ .] would need to be [ ._] in case a person doesnt have turn underscores to spaces enabled. it wont change a thing other than make a search with an underscore also match.

had to use perl to support a legacy project worth about a couple hundred thousand in profit so i got used to reading regex

thanks, good change. i haven't come across that combo but yeah probably my config

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Rufus Ping posted:

use a CNAME rather than an A record

overseer.yourdomain.biz CNAME yourhomepc.noip.com.

(yourhomepc.noip.com then has an A record to your home IP - noip handle this part)

This worked with my existing nginx proxy manager settings, thanks!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone password protect their sab/*arr installs or is that overkill when everything is local?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I don't because their ports are closed to the outside world and only accessible within my LAN. Also since they're docker containers, they only have access to the file shares I set them up for.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I have everything locked behind HTTP basic auth because I don't trust that the LAN is necessarily safe. It's way too easy to reverse tunnel into a network.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
When I had everything local I got a message from an indexer telling me that my API key had leaked somehow, and to reset all my arr passwords. I set them up then and have been doing it so ever since.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Violator posted:

Does anyone password protect their sab/*arr installs or is that overkill when everything is local?

Nzbget - yes but I don’t remember why, but the port is not exposed

*arr no because those ports are not exposed

I can pause downloads with home assistant

But I am debating on opening them up so I can use LunaSea remotely but I might just set up WireGuard instead.

Side note, Usenet farm has a birthday sale, I ended up adding another two years since the exchange rate was in our favour. I don’t know if should have purchased blocks instead so they can be fillers for newsgroup direct. I’m already paying less than $5 a month for two unlimited services so maybe I am over thinking it?

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 1, 2022

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Tailscale is super easy and rules. Wire guard wrapper

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone use MDBList with Trakt to automatically populate new movie entries in Radarr?

I've been doing it a few months now and I'm not sure it's possible to, in a single list anyway, get all the big stuff people would actually want to watch (ie wide cinema releases, Prime/Netflix original movies) and the more interesting smaller independent things without also bringing in an absolute wave of shite too. I have mine quite finetuned and to only bring in things released in the last 10 days and due in the next 30 and even with exclusions for things like non-English language (I can grab the interesting sounding stuff by hand), TV movies and the like it still populates the list with 150 things in that time period. I don't tend to use any rating based criteria because 1. online public stuff is poisoned these days and 2. lots of real stuff gets embargo'd until the release day so it won't add them until following release.

Anyone found some little magic whitelist/blacklist stuff that helps siphon the poo poo out?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I just use Overseerr (with access for my plex users too) to keep up with popular new stuff. It's not automated with Trakt like you're looking for but it does a good job filtering things by network/producer etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From memory Overseerr doesn’t have a native macOS version alas. It might work with docker but I don’t run that setup personally.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

From memory Overseerr doesn’t have a native macOS version alas. It might work with docker but I don’t run that setup personally.

You can run it in docker on macOS just fine. I have it connected to sonarr and Radarr on my setup

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah docker is one of those things I’ve considered if I ever decided to reset my setup back to zero and start afresh, but don’t think I wanna go through it outside of those circumstances.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
How can I remotely name a file on my Seedbox?

I have an episode of a show that has a ô in it, which apparently screws up file structures because in the filename it has it as S\364ti. I tried SSHing in and changing the filename, but it didn't work. Maybe I'm an idiot and just don't know what I'm doing? Sonarr won't manually import it, FileBrowser errors on it when I try to copy it. If i could just rename that part of file Soti it would be great, but I can't figure out how.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

cryptoclastic posted:

How can I remotely name a file on my Seedbox?

I have an episode of a show that has a ô in it, which apparently screws up file structures because in the filename it has it as S\364ti. I tried SSHing in and changing the filename, but it didn't work. Maybe I'm an idiot and just don't know what I'm doing? Sonarr won't manually import it, FileBrowser errors on it when I try to copy it. If i could just rename that part of file Soti it would be great, but I can't figure out how.

You can for sure rename it over ssh, whether or not that breaks something in the app, I don't know.

Probably the \ is what is breaking your attempts. Try doing a rename (in linux this is 'mv') but do it with quotes. Let me give you an example:

code:
ls -1 /dir/

fileS\364tiwhatever.mkv

mv 'fileS\364tiwhatever.mkv' filename.mkv
or
mv fileS\\364tiwhatever.mkv filename.mkv # note the \ before the \, that's called an escape character to tell linux that the next character is a real character and not a command/function

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
If what Super said doesn't work, you can also try cheating it with wildcards assuming it's got a unique filename beginning. For example, if the files in that folder are:

s01e01-blah.mkv
s01e02-blah.mkv
s01e03-blah.mkv
fileS\364tiwhatever.mkv
s01e05-blah.mkv

Then you should be able to do something like:

mv file* s01e04-blah.mkv

That would rename all files that begin with the characters 'file' and avoid having to input the offending special character at all. But also only do that if you know where you're running the command and have that unique filename to key off of, it's pretty easy to gently caress up a Linux OS with bulk commands if you move/rename the wrong thing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
can you do the following:

code:
ls -l /whatever/path
find /whatever/path -print -ls
For sure I can give you an exact command to rename it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I got it! Trying to rename the file itself like you suggested, Super, still gave me a stat error. However, using the method Damage suggested worked. I just renamed it to nothing, basically, and then re-renamed it without the special character. Finally, my season is complete!

Thanks a bunch everyone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OK following my last post, I did some more work on my mdblist and I think I've got it running nicely now. Here's the links to my lists if others want to incorporate into their setup, or amend and make them better again.

For those that don't know, mdblist.com is a service you can use to define lists based on criteria which then get synced to trakt.tv and in turn synced to Radarr/Sonarr etc. The free version is plenty decent enough, I upgraded for like $15/yr to get more lists, more frequent updates etc.

Films:Theatrical | Streaming | Foreign

Using the 'ratings' option at the top worked out to be the way forward. I'd tried using imdb/RT/letterboxd etc ratings before but none of them quite did it for me, however the inbuilt 'Rating' in the top left uses a bunch of weights to assign value and even assigning a minimum value of something as low as 15 really does get rid of an absolute ton of crap. I've split lists into a few categories to make it easier to tinker with, and then Radarr is set to attach the name of the list as a tag so I know where the entries come from. I also have a list for everything that didn't make the cut - Not in Lists to manually look through every now and again in case something intriguing ends up in there. I exclude Indian movies just because the second Indian people find out about any kind of reviewing site, they declare every movie made to be at least a 9/10 and skews everything.

TV: New TV Pilots

The ratings thing doesn't really work here, so I've just excluded a bunch of things by hand to weed out the crap. As a British person, I have no interest in anything that airs on ITV after living through that crap for years, your tastes may vary. I tell Sonarr to grab this list, and monitor just the pilot episode. Plex then has collections for 'New Shows' that people can check out, let me know if they're worth getting more of etc if I haven't picked up on something good myself.

I've liked how this has worked for the last few months, but there should be a lot less weeding through crap now. And anything I don't want I can just unmonitor in Radarr and then clear them out once the window has passed. I'm not someone who keeps their entire collection in Radarr, I use it more for upcoming titles than cataloging.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
This week I moved into a new house.

At my old place I had gigabit 1000/1000 fiber and usenet maxed at about 50 MB/sec no matter what I did.

My new place has 950/15 cable internet and it MAXES the line, full saturation 90MB/sec.

Has anyone experienced something like this? so weird... it's almost like FIOS was capping my usenet downloads. I'm using the exact same computer with the exact same configuration.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

OK following my last post, I did some more work on my mdblist and I think I've got it running nicely now. Here's the links to my lists if others want to incorporate into their setup, or amend and make them better again.

Wow, lots of great work. Planning on digging into this. Thanks for the thorough info.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Violator posted:

Wow, lots of great work. Planning on digging into this. Thanks for the thorough info.

If you think of any good filters to bring in good stuff or exclude bad stuff, I'd love to hear them!

The fine line of enjoying horror movies and indie filmmaking but having a line of 'Is this even considered a real movie?'

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Taima posted:

This week I moved into a new house.

At my old place I had gigabit 1000/1000 fiber and usenet maxed at about 50 MB/sec no matter what I did.

My new place has 950/15 cable internet and it MAXES the line, full saturation 90MB/sec.

Has anyone experienced something like this? so weird... it's almost like FIOS was capping my usenet downloads. I'm using the exact same computer with the exact same configuration.

I can get 90MBps with Fios when wired.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's a good data point thanks.

It's just so weird. LITERALLY nothing changed... well besides the internet, but this cable hookup is slower than my previous symmetrical gigabit fiber.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
The new ISP probably has better peering

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Did you get any new networking equipment? I’m guessing the ISP gave you a new modem at least.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I bought my own, nighthawk cm1200 and nest wifi. So yeah that could help.

FIOS makes you run their proprietary equipment for fiber.

Interesting point re: peering as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Taima posted:

They in fact do not. There is an ethernet port on the ONT (unless that's why you mean by "proprietary equipment") that can be lit and you use your own router.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Taima posted:

I bought my own, nighthawk cm1200 and nest wifi. So yeah that could help.

Interesting point re: peering as well.

Unless something changed you only have to use Verizon's router if you use their cable boxes. If you don't you can use your own router.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hmm fair enough. I was told when I signed up that such a thing was impossible but either I misunderstood or the tech was uninformed :shrug: good to know either way.

I did run my own router but it went wall box -> verizon modem/router box thing -> nest wifi

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use AT&Ts gear for my gigabit and get 95MB/sec on Usenet with it. I’d expect Verizon’s to be rated to handle the full speed of the connection too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I need to go piddle with my settings to see if I can up thins now that I’m on fiber. I’m frankly fine with current speeds but eh, why not. Is there any sort of science there or is it just plugging in random numbers from the range your provider says to use and see what takes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I use AT&Ts gear for my gigabit and get 95MB/sec on Usenet with it. I’d expect Verizon’s to be rated to handle the full speed of the connection too.

Their older gear is'nt rated to handle anything close to that. The ONTs themselves could even handle gige (and had 100 mbit ethernet ports on them) not that many years ago. A lot of people "upgraded" to gige symmetrical only to have their ONT swapped out (or not) and kept that same MOCA modem that could barely mange 300 mbit.

Details matter. Don't assume. Without specific complaints they will not volunteer this poo poo to you.

Actually look up the model of your issued gear and know what it is and what it can do. If it can't do what you're paying for demand new poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It would be easy to find if there was a mass problem with the gear as people will be moaning all over the internet about it. Easy googling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Regardless, even when I was on 50-60 MB per second it didn't functionally matter versus 90-100.

I don't even really think about that way; I'll queue up a TB of stuff without worrying about it and check it in a couple of days or whatever, it doesn't matter.

The only issue right now is I run my entire Plex server (which consists of something like 6 HDD / 65 TB) off my gaming computer, which I just keep on 24/7 so people can stream things. Before that I used my Nvidia Shield as the server but that became impractical as the number of drives scaled up. Also the Shield isn't going to transcode a 4k blu ray. Hell my gaming computer can be bad at that even now.

But I'm getting a 4090 arriving in a minute here and I'm just going to transfer my 3080 into my wife's desktop and make it an HTPC that carries all the drives and hosts the Plex stuff.

People discourage you from running platters on your gaming pc but honestly I haven't had a huge issue. The only real concession is that sometimes waiting for something in the OS that's waiting for a particular platter to spool.

It's really not a problem but I'm sure having the gaming pc be all gen 4 NVME should be, idk, better I guess.

Can I ask what yalls favorite trackers are? I use nzb.su and Drunkenslug (honestly I love nzb.su and don't get why it's often thought of as inferior to other indexers but whatever).

Always on the lookout for other trackers though.

e: maybe was a bit too cavalier with the phrasing, edited

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 17, 2022