Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I like nzbdrone for the xem scene naming. I think SB can do it, but nzbdrone has it built in. I have been using nzbdrone for so long I don't miss sickbeard at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

I use a free xsusenet.com account for my backfill. It's only 1mbit download but for the amount that it gets used, it's not too bad. Plus, you can't beat free.

Thanks for this tip, I will try this because NZBs have been failing like crazy for me lately.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Here's the popular 2.2.1 queue page doing this at least 3 years ago:

This worked, thank you.

Now that I got torrents working with Sickbeard (the PirateBay fork, but it works with all torrent sites) the only issue I am having is that files download to where uTorrent has as default, and Sickbeard never moves them. It does it just fine with NZBs. But I have no clue how to make them move from C:\Downloads to D:\TV\PBS Documentary\Episode 01.mkv

I do have the "move folders" option selected in Sickbeard but it does not seem to be working. Anyone use Sickbeard with torrents and know what's up and how to fix that?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I thought that fork was abandoned? Or did someone else pick it up? I am somewhat interested in setting it all up sometime for the torrent side, a lot of older stuff I get failed/incompletes. I'm just confused on how they would handle seeding and moving/renaming, links I guess?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I thought that fork was abandoned? Or did someone else pick it up? I am somewhat interested in setting it all up sometime for the torrent side, a lot of older stuff I get failed/incompletes. I'm just confused on how they would handle seeding and moving/renaming, links I guess?

If it's abandoned, I am not aware, and even if it is, I see no other options for torrent downloading with Sickbeard (regular edition). The default version only has options for something where you cannot enter settings for individual torrent sites and that sucks because I'd like to use a private tracker first and only fall to a public one if there's no other option.

As for the renaming/moving files thing, I have no idea because none of my stuff is moving to individual show folders. :\

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Melmac posted:

If it's abandoned, I am not aware, and even if it is, I see no other options for torrent downloading with Sickbeard (regular edition). The default version only has options for something where you cannot enter settings for individual torrent sites and that sucks because I'd like to use a private tracker first and only fall to a public one if there's no other option.

mr_orange's ThePirateBay fork has been abandoned, its GitHub repository deleted even, because the author got fed up with complaints and demands from users. Apparently the SickRage fork has implemented its torrent handling in addition to lots of other new features, so that might be worth looking into.

Anyone here running SickRage?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What is going on technically when I download an nzb that is several hundred days old, throw it into sabnzbd and sab runs at like 1k/s? The articles aren't 'missing' because i don't get any errors, but they don't download either and it doesnt seem like it falls back to my blocknews account either. supernews advertises 2000+ days of retention but I have no success with stuff greater than a year or so old. :confused:

edit: Actually it does look like missing articles, I am bad at logs. Wtf supernews?

cr0y fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 13, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

cr0y posted:

What is going on technically when I download an nzb that is several hundred days old, throw it into sabnzbd and sab runs at like 1k/s? The articles aren't 'missing' because i don't get any errors, but they don't download either and it doesnt seem like it falls back to my blocknews account either. supernews advertises 2000+ days of retention but I have no success with stuff greater than a year or so old. :confused:

edit: Actually it does look like missing articles, I am bad at logs. Wtf supernews?

They've been DMCA'ed.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

They've been DMCA'ed.

:ms:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have absolutely no idea what's going on but man nzbnab sucks. Hanging downloads on anything but 0 day stuff. Very frustrating.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Not sure where/what is hanging for you but it seems like supernews is completely offline...

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/supernews.com.html

edit: seems ok now?

cr0y fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 14, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

cr0y posted:

On a related note, is there something i've missed in regards to configuring sickbeard where it'll identify these and not try to download them?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I read the whole OP and still don't understand Usenet. If I dl a nzb on some random indexer, where does the actual file reside? On Giganews servers? How did the random indexer know I had a Giganews sub? Or do all usenet service providers host the same content?

Bur posted:

A basic simplified overview is as follows.
An NZB is a collection of posts. Each post has an attachment. If you join up all these attachments you get your compressed file.
Each provider indexes every post. All providers host the same content.

Thank ya much.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 15, 2014

Bur
Jul 30, 2006

agarjogger posted:

I read the whole OP and still don't understand Usenet. If I dl a nzb on some random indexer, where does the actual file reside? On Giganews servers? How did the random indexer know I had a Giganews sub? Or do all usenet service providers host the same content?
An NZB is a collection of posts. Each post has an attachment. If you join up all these attachments you get your compressed file.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, every post has a unique ID that's the same regardless of your provider. That's why your indexer doesn't need to know that you use Giganews.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bur posted:

An NZB doesn't contain the actual posts, it contains the post IDs, and then you need Usenet software (pretty much everybody here uses SabNZBD) that will read the NZB file and download the appropriate posts from your provider, then assemble them into an actual file.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Even with three backbones Im still getting failures. Astraweb, NewsgroupDirect and Xusenet aren't enough to download stuff as its released any longer. Anyone else getting this problem? It's always stuff like " Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (801 short) "

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

YouTuber posted:

Even with three backbones Im still getting failures. Astraweb, NewsgroupDirect and Xusenet aren't enough to download stuff as its released any longer. Anyone else getting this problem? It's always stuff like " Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (801 short) "

Try a Tweaknews block.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Try a Tweaknews block.

I thought it used the same servers as xusenet?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

JoeMB posted:

I thought it used the same servers as xusenet?

Not according to The Diagram.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Keito posted:

mr_orange's ThePirateBay fork has been abandoned, its GitHub repository deleted even, because the author got fed up with complaints and demands from users. Apparently the SickRage fork has implemented its torrent handling in addition to lots of other new features, so that might be worth looking into.

Anyone here running SickRage?

I am. I haven't really tried the torrent side of it, but it took him until about a week ago to un-gently caress the auto-snatching/processing/etc on the usenet side though. And the Dev has been a bit dodgy where he's deleted the issues off of github to try and force people to use his lovely forum instead.

Edit: The choice between TVRage and TVDB for shows seems to be working pretty well though.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Anyone still using Qouch on iOS? It stopped working for me a few months ago, and I notice it's gone from the app store. I can get it to connect to my SABNzbd server and Sickbeard, but when I try and add an nzb file it fails. I used to be able to search the indexer in Safari on my ipad, download the nzb, and it would open in Qouch and be added to my SABNzbd queue etc.

If Qouch is dead, is there any other iOS program that let's me add to the queue from Safari on my ipad?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

porktree posted:

Anyone still using Qouch on iOS? It stopped working for me a few months ago, and I notice it's gone from the app store. I can get it to connect to my SABNzbd server and Sickbeard, but when I try and add an nzb file it fails. I used to be able to search the indexer in Safari on my ipad, download the nzb, and it would open in Qouch and be added to my SABNzbd queue etc.

If Qouch is dead, is there any other iOS program that let's me add to the queue from Safari on my ipad?

I don't use it for adding NZB files directly, only for adding to sickbeard and CP, so I can't say if I'm having the same issue as you.

Unfortunately, there are no real NZB apps anymore, Apple struck them from the store, which is why you can't find it anymore.

There's a jail break app called NZBUnity that's showing promise, but it doesn't let you directly add NZB's from the indexers either.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
No more failed downloads since adding a Tweaknews block on top of my Giga/blocknews. Unfortunately this brought the upfront cost of Usenet to nearly fifty dollars. Worth it, but that's a huge difference from torrents, whose trackers never charge.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Honestly I'd rather pay a few bucks than deal with "you must seed to eighteen times what you download or we'll put you on warning, then if it's not 30‰ improved in 12 day, we will initiate formal correction procedures through our council of elders, and if it's not changed before the new Moon, you will be excommunicated"

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with torrenting is the trackers. Seeding is done in an unnatural way. Older poo poo that you may download has nobody downloading it. So you have to download brand new torrents just to seed up stuff you actually want. gently caress that, it's jumping through hurdles that shouldn't be required. Just get a VPN or seed box and use The Pirate Bay if you want to torrent. No private trackers ever had the same amount of content that TPB has. Moreover their community is far more active and loving SCREAMS when there is malware in the torrents. Even if it's a false positive I'd rather know beforehand.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

YouTuber posted:

Just get a VPN or seed box and use The Pirate Bay if you want to torrent. No private trackers ever had the same amount of content that TPB has.

That's pretty hilarious. TPB is the most well known tracker so it's the most rife for people logging your activities, the content is often garbage because there's zero quality control, and if you combine a decent music, apps, movies and TV tracker you'll have about 100x more good content than TPB within 4 signups.

I don't even like torrents, bar for music because usenet is pretty crappy with that and even scene access for MP3 was never great, but TPB should be used as a last ditch effort to get something.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I've been on a newsgroupdirect unlimited plan for a long time now and the last few weeks it has been super slow. Things ultimately download but definitely not at the speed they should, like under 800 kb/s. Occasionally it kicks back up to 3+ mpbs but lately its been really sluggish. Anyone experiencing this?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's pretty hilarious. TPB is the most well known tracker so it's the most rife for people logging your activities, the content is often garbage because there's zero quality control, and if you combine a decent music, apps, movies and TV tracker you'll have about 100x more good content than TPB within 4 signups.

I don't even like torrents, bar for music because usenet is pretty crappy with that and even scene access for MP3 was never great, but TPB should be used as a last ditch effort to get something.

I've always seen the same exact postings on TPB as I do on Usenet. If you follow the VIP and trusted sources you tend to have no problems at all.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Dog and nzb.su, are they any better for music than TPB? When I go for a specific album from a small band on tpb, I'd say it turns up 40%-50% of the time. I should be on What.CD, since music is the only reason I download anything at all, but I can never find time to read about mp3 encoding for their stupid interview.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Usenet tends to be pretty poo poo far as I've seen. Unlike with Movies and TV Shows there never seemed to be a scene standard for Music. They name it whatever and encode at whatever they feel.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rename with mediamonkey, and stop giving gently caress about quality as long as it's 160kbps.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

agarjogger posted:

Dog and nzb.su, are they any better for music than TPB? When I go for a specific album from a small band on tpb, I'd say it turns up 40%-50% of the time. I should be on What.CD, since music is the only reason I download anything at all, but I can never find time to read about mp3 encoding for their stupid interview.

Both TPB and Usenet are pretty terrible for music. The interview isn't "stupid", it ensures that the people there with no support chain aren't going to tarnish the site with bad rips, and shows you at least have a place there.

I've read the forum thread where they show the interview questions and the answers some people give, and it's literally nothing harder than putting bitrates in order and confirming that you can't encode from lossy back to lossless. If you can't pass in 3 attempts, then you truly don't deserve to be on there.

CrackBone: Oh God, I hope you at least mean 260kbit...

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

YouTuber posted:

Usenet tends to be pretty poo poo far as I've seen. Unlike with Movies and TV Shows there never seemed to be a scene standard for Music. They name it whatever and encode at whatever they feel.

Sadly this. But I rather just pay for the convenience since at the minumum you need a seedbox (which costs about the same monthly as a usenet account) and then deal with each private site's rules while trying to make sure you don't get kicked out for inactivity (which got me off several of the high-profile ones)

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I'd love to be able to set SABnzbd+ priority on individual shows in Sickbeard, so that I can have most things set to download during my off-peak schedule in SAB, but set just the few shows I want to watch as soon as they are available to "Force".

I don't think it's possible but thought some of you may have ideas. I go into SAB when I know a show is out and manually force the downloads I want, so it's no big deal, but it would be nice to automate.

edit: alternatively if there's any way to put filename keywords in SAB for the stuff I want to force, and leave Sickbeard out of it.
edit2: now thinking I could write a pre-queue user script.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 21, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've read the forum thread where they show the interview questions and the answers some people give, and it's literally nothing harder than putting bitrates in order and confirming that you can't encode from lossy back to lossless. If you can't pass in 3 attempts, then you truly don't deserve to be on there.

I know, I know, it's easy. But if too many people were passing, I'd bet they'd make it harder since I assume they're trying to control their growth like most files sites.
It's just a three hour thing, since it takes two hours to queue for an interviewer, and the interview can take an hour. So I keep aborting it in case I'm not sure I'll have time to finish. It's not the biggest deal since I buy a ton of music, much of which is probably not available outside of a merch table, anyway.

e: nvm I took it and got in. I have taken way easier tests than that one. I get the reason for the redundancy, to make absolutely certain you know what is and isn't a lovely upload.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 21, 2014

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Crackbone posted:

Rename with mediamonkey, and stop giving gently caress about quality as long as it's 160kbps.

Yeah, this is me. I care so little about music that I'm happy so long as it meets some minimum criteria on quality. On some level it amazes me how serious some people are about it, but whatever - they can do what they like.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Gromit posted:

Yeah, this is me. I care so little about music that I'm happy so long as it meets some minimum criteria on quality. On some level it amazes me how serious some people are about it, but whatever - they can do what they like.

Mild audiophilia is a tic that most people have to some degree. And there are justifications for it. I don't need everything in FLAC, but I do need to know that the sound hasn't been significantly altered in the course of the files being handled and moved by dozens of random dudes, all armed with MP3 encoding software they may not know how to use. Sometimes a song that has been significantly changed is the same song, and sometimes it has to be considered something new. It's not nice to change people's work and not say you've done it.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

gabensraum posted:

edit2: now thinking I could write a pre-queue user script.

For the interested (nobody), this is what I've done, and it works well. Not as nice as configuring it against the show in Sickbeard, but it's simple and works.

I've set it to be run in "Config -> Switches -> Pre-queue user script". It gets run whenever an nzb comes in, just before it is added to the queue.

code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys

try:
    (scriptname, nzbname, postprocflags, category, script, prio, downloadsize,
     grouplist, showname, season, episodenumber, episodename) = sys.argv
    downloadsize = int(downloadsize)
except:
    sys.exit(1)    # exit with 1 causes SABnzbd to ignore the output of this script

prio = -100    # Default

# list of shows to force start
force_shows = [
    "Show name here",
    "Another show",
    "Show show show!",
    "Etcetera",
    "along for the ride"
]

# priority 2 is 'force'
if showname in force_shows:
    prio = 2

print "1"    # Accept
print
print
print
print
print prio
print

sys.exit(0)    # 0 means OK
Reference: http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/user-pre-queue-script

edit: Actually sometimes it seems that Sickbeard doesn't populate the showname value, so it's safer to check to check against the nzbname value instead. Something like "if any(name in nzbname for name in force_shows):" Implementation is left as an exercise for the disinterested reader.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 21, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Tracker-chat:

I have a seedbox for private trackers cause theres a few I am part of that provide stuff you can literally get nowhere else in the world. For cinephiles like myself its a goldmine and if bootleg-tape-ordering-younger-self knew what could possibly be, I would have poo poo myself.

That said, there are a couple general private trackers that should solve everything you could ever want in terms of mainstream stuff (and not so mainstream) that are fairly easy to get an invite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to block "encrypted" or password-protected downloads? One of my...ISO files...downloaded 99% of the way before SABNZD quit saying it was unable to unzip the file. Fortunately it was only about 300MB but still, that's a waste of my block.