Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

So it seems most people are preferring nzbget + nzbdrone over sab + sick these days.

I don't think there is a real consensus right now? I'm on sab and drone after switching from sickbeard. There were some real benefits in using drone (better handling of failed downloads).
I guess nzbGet is better if want to use it on a nas/router but I couldn't find a reason for switching when I hosed around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums
I always found that SAB used a hideous amount of CPU when downloading (even with the cache turned up), and nzbget less so. If it's running on the same box as, say, your Plex install, then that gets to be a pain in the arse really quickly.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

So it seems most people are preferring nzbget + nzbdrone over sab + sick these days.

nzbget uses less resources but its configuration/UI is straight up archaic. I don't have to interact with it much because my automation chain is pretty solid but if I did it would get annoying. nzbgets backfilling seems better and I do like the per download stat tracking but other than they do the same thing. When I look at Drone vs Sickbeard I think the former is superior unless you're using a fork but with nzbget vs SAB its really just a matter of preference.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Craziest NZBGet feature? It automatically saves every single NZB unless you put history to 0 days. They do this to make the history feature of the program as good as it could possibly be, and always give you a chance to redownload something you've gotten in the past.

Never mind we live in an age where your average illegal posting is DMCAed within hours of finishing.

The devs recommend using a PP script to purge the NZBs, but come on.

Also, the installation on Windows is still needlessly complicated compared to SAB, and there's no tutorial for novice users to help them get started. I do suppose the devs will continue to wonder though they they're on official release 13, yet people still prefer SAB.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Drone can removes nzb files from nzbgets history so I never really noticed that before. I don't know, I think anyone who is installing Sickbeard can probably manage nzbget but I agree that the documentation and user interface for the project is pretty terrible. It is definitely not for novice users or people new to Usenet. That said it has a few attractive features and is great for low resource installs on NAS devices.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I've kept away from NzbDrone both because it's written in C# and for lacking proper backlog searches, at least as far as I could tell when reading up on the software's Github wiki pages a while back. Besides, Sickbeard has been working solid for years and is supported in the Android app I use, so I didn't see much reason to make the switch. Failed download handling is neat, but I'd rather just switch over to a Sickbeard fork if that ever starts becoming a problem for me. Played around a bit with SickRage a few weeks ago, they've added lots of features mainline lacks but the program overall seems a bit more unstable for it.

bobfather posted:

Craziest NZBGet feature? It automatically saves every single NZB unless you put history to 0 days. They do this to make the history feature of the program as good as it could possibly be, and always give you a chance to redownload something you've gotten in the past.

Never mind we live in an age where your average illegal posting is DMCAed within hours of finishing.
It's not a bad feature, and it should be easy enough to set up a cronjob that cleans up files x days old automatically. Still wouldn't hurt of there was an option to disable the saving for those who need to save their storage space.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does anyone remember what the special type of configuration was that someone posted in here a while ago for externally accessing SAB/etc?

it was something along the lines of using your WAN_IP:port_number to access one port on the network via traditional forwarding, and then that automatically connects to another port to kind of obscure what you're actually connecting to and preventing the external connection gaining access to the rest of the network.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sounds like a reverse proxy. I connect to server/sab (which I can access from wherever because I have my own domain name) and that connects to localhost:8086.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Mighty Zoltar posted:

Anybody know how to change your email address on nzbs.org? I will be losing a domain in a couple of months where my account is registered, so want to get it updated. The site is not helpful at all

Might have to try their IRC or perhaps the contact us button will work. They locked 'em down due to account selling awhile back.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Has anyone downloaded the most recent SABnzbd from SourceForge? Every time I try Spybot tells me that it's finding Win32.Downloader.HicrazykA in the file. Has anyone else seen this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just tried downloading it and fsecure didn't pick anything up on mine

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Looks fine to me too. Try uploading it to https://www.virustotal.com/

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Weird. Okay, thanks. I'll try that VirusTotal thing.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Did anything ever happen with goonzb?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It was up and running with limited categories for a while then it seemingly died.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

serebralassazin posted:

It was up and running with limited categories for a while then it seemingly died.

That's a crying shame, I'd dearly love for it to be resurrected. Who was in charge of that?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
goonzb.com has been purchased. Don't know who is running it, I think that was all kept in IRC.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I'm looking to get back into usenet, is Blocknews still good? I really don't download that much, and a block plan would be perfect for me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm looking to get back into usenet, is Blocknews still good? I really don't download that much, and a block plan would be perfect for me.

Blocknews is good but I would have a backup block just for the odd fill, DMCA is very common these days.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
T-week news (not the actual name) is a good block fill.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've been using SABnzbd and Sickbeard for a very long time, but I just switched to nzbget and nzbdrone and I am extremely impressed.

I've already downloaded several things and haven't found any problems so unless something happens I'll be using them in the future. If you are on the fence about switching I really suggest giving them both a try.

(I'm also running them on Ubuntu 14.04 and perhaps it's a placebo-effect but these new programs seem considerably faster too!)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vinlaen posted:

I've been using SABnzbd and Sickbeard for a very long time, but I just switched to nzbget and nzbdrone and I am extremely impressed.

Thinking of doing this too, just hope I don't lose anything with regards to functionality. I still have MyNZB on my iPhone from years ago and it still works and is so useful when out and about, the NZBS.org site is a bit of a mare to navigate in Safari on the phone.

Also how much of a mare is it getting nzbdrone to read from old SickBeard folders? I presume it's fine with them given the amount of people who undoubtedly have moved over.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thinking of doing this too, just hope I don't lose anything with regards to functionality. I still have MyNZB on my iPhone from years ago and it still works and is so useful when out and about, the NZBS.org site is a bit of a mare to navigate in Safari on the phone.

Also how much of a mare is it getting nzbdrone to read from old SickBeard folders? I presume it's fine with them given the amount of people who undoubtedly have moved over.

Having just switched I don't think I'll ever got back to Sickbeard. You gain a ton of functionality. Most importantly, failed download handling.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Add series,import from disk, click add for each series to confirm it has selected the same one as SB (SB uses tvdb, drone uses trakt so sometimes a difference crops up). Very easy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like a good plan, thanks. Need to find a spare weekend to do a complete overhaul of that system! Not something for an evening after work...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just a heads up...if you're installing nzbdrone on Ubuntu, you either need to ignore the instructions that recommend you install Mono 3.2+, or be a lot smarter than I, or spend a lot more time than I did (hours) trying to get Mono 3.2 installed.

While I was really keen to try out the failed download handling, it just wasn't worth the effort.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Just a heads up...if you're installing nzbdrone on Ubuntu, you either need to ignore the instructions that recommend you install Mono 3.2+, or be a lot smarter than I, or spend a lot more time than I did (hours) trying to get Mono 3.2 installed.

While I was really keen to try out the failed download handling, it just wasn't worth the effort.

Have you tried it recently? I'm running the latest version on Ubuntu and it wasn't any more work than just adding the nzbdrone repository and installing via spt

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Horn posted:

Have you tried it recently? I'm running the latest version on Ubuntu and it wasn't any more work than just adding the nzbdrone repository and installing via spt

That's because you're using the not-recommended 2.x version of Mono. I don't know why it's not-recommended.

edit:

Or not. Maybe 14.04 fixed it and when I tried it recently it was just before I upgraded to 14.04. Let me test it out...

edit2:

OK, if you're on Ubuntu 14.04+ you're good as the repo version of Mono finally is at 3.2+.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 17, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does Nzbdrone work with Sabnzbd+ for the failed downloading handling or is that a feature of Nzbget?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

YouTuber posted:

Does Nzbdrone work with Sabnzbd+ for the failed downloading handling or is that a feature of Nzbget?

It works with both, last I tried it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

YouTuber posted:

It works with sab.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Thermopyle posted:

That's because you're using the not-recommended 2.x version of Mono. I don't know why it's not-recommended.

edit:

Or not. Maybe 14.04 fixed it and when I tried it recently it was just before I upgraded to 14.04. Let me test it out...

edit2:

OK, if you're on Ubuntu 14.04+ you're good as the repo version of Mono finally is at 3.2+.

Yeah latest version of Ubuntu makes it as simple as adding the Nzbdrone repo and installing it. It'll auto snag all the pre-reqs and required zero effort on my part to install.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I'm building a shiny new NAS on the weekend to replace my old one, so it seems an opportune moment to switch from Sickbeard + sabnzbd to NZBdrone + SABnzbd. How good is NZBdrone at recognising existing shows? I have several Tb of shows (well-organized, mind you) that I will be copying over. I'll be running WHS2011 btw.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

modeski posted:

I'm building a shiny new NAS on the weekend to replace my old one, so it seems an opportune moment to switch from Sickbeard + sabnzbd to NZBdrone + SABnzbd. How good is NZBdrone at recognising existing shows? I have several Tb of shows (well-organized, mind you) that I will be copying over. I'll be running WHS2011 btw.

Only 9 posts up...

Decairn posted:

Add series,import from disk, click add for each series to confirm it has selected the same one as SB (SB uses tvdb, drone uses trakt so sometimes a difference crops up). Very easy.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Hitch posted:

Only 9 posts up...

Ah poo poo, thanks for that. Apologies, I was posting on my phone from work so didn't have much time to read the last few pages lest my boss catch me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

When you're importing series into nzbdrone, what are you supposed to do when it mis-identifies a series? Just go rename the folder?

edit: Oh, I didn't notice that "more" link at the bottom...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 18, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I switched to "The 'Drone" several months ago and have enjoyed it heavily. I feel like a dumb dummy, but what exactly is this failure-handling everyone touts? I do not believe I have noticed any different actions when something fails in SAB. It fails, and that's it... so maybe I don't have something turned on?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
https://github.com/NzbDrone/NzbDrone/wiki/Failed-Download-Handling

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It is automatic in SAB and nzbget as long as you have a few different indexers and have your categories setup properly. I've seen it fail to initialize once when a download got stuck at 99% but that's about it.

Speaking of SAB, are proper server priorities on the roadmap somewhere? I have a few different fill servers and want it to properly step through them like nzbget does.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks! Good info. I never had one handle a fail (that I noticed) so who knows ... :)