Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Have the Black Friday deals largely already popped up yet or are they still yet to come?

I am looking at building my own NAS from an old Acer XC600 desktop I have to use as a Plex server. I have access to a family members Plex server so I won't need to be pulling down tons of stuff, just a few specific things they don't have (they aren't really scifi fans so are missing most of that genre from their collection for example).

I'll try not to poo poo up the thread with bad questions but will probably have a few. From reading a few pages back to now though it looks like I should just grab a block plan for my needs at 1-2 different providers and will need to get a good indexer. What's a good indexer to go for given that Drunkenslug is closed for now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sedative posted:

Some Black Friday deals are starting. Here's a giant provider map from reddit to help you pick and choose

theCubeNet (Highwinds)
Unlimited $30/year https://www.thecubenet.com/clients/cart.php?pid=149
500GB Block $5 https://www.thecubenet.com/clients/cart.php?pid=148
1TB Block $7.50 https://www.thecubenet.com/clients/cart.php?pid=145
2TB Block $12 https://www.thecubenet.com/clients/cart.php?pid=150

StingyUsenet (Abavia)
Unlimited €38.47/year https://stingyusenet.com/en/order/?promocode=blackfriday2019

ViperNews (Uzo Reto)
500GB Block €6.99 https://www.vipernews.com/sign-up/?plan=10
1000GB Block €11.99 https://www.vipernews.com/sign-up/?plan=13
2000GB Block €21.49 https://www.vipernews.com/sign-up/?plan=16

ViperNews follows NTD and might have things longer than providers that follow DMCA, but their retention is only 100 days.

So for babby's 1st foray into Usenet would I be good getting an unlimited Cubenet and 1000gb block of vipernews or should I change that allocation up?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

sedative posted:

Yeah going with an unlimited Highwinds provider and blocks from other backbones is a good strategy. Highwinds providers have the longest retention and is usually the cheapest. If you're extremely cheap like me you can wait for the other Highwinds deals and you might save a few bucks. If you really want to go hog wild you can get blocks from usenet.farm and UsenetExpress when they go on sale.

Since you're completely new to this you should know that you'll need an indexer or two. Things that get posted to usenet with normal, readable names will get taken down quickly. Posts on some of the better indexers are obfuscated and are much more difficult to take down. A couple of the better ones that are always open for registration are https://nzbfinder.ws/register and https://nzbgeek.info/member.php?action=register. You can sign up for free and see if they have the stuff you want before paying for VIP.

https://drunkenslug.com/register is another good one that's offering 18 months of VIP for 10 Euros, but registration is currently closed.

Thanks.

For NZBfinder they sell tiers based on 5k, 10k API hits etc.

For a light user would something like a 5k hits be more than enough? Just have no clue how far that would actually go.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

So far I'm considering a return to NewsDemon (until they get amnesia again, lol) if they can pricematch ThunderNews. Usenet.Farm looks tempting as I would be quite happy on the EUR2.48 plan.

Newsdemon will release their new prices in 2.5 days https://www.newsdemon.com/Usenet-Black-Friday.php

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Anyone got a decent setup guide for getting things to play nice together? Been slammed at work so haven't had time to sit and work on it again yet but I got my Unraid server up and running.

I got NZBGeek for searching, Sonarr and Radarr and NZBget and then Plex Media server. Later this week I'll go back and add NZBHydra and get NZBGeek (paid) and another free tracker to pipe into that.

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out the file structure / where things get saved to and when / how they are handed off between programs. For example Sonarr wants me to put in a folder when I add something I want to search for, but it wouldn't at that time let me put in the folder path that Plex would be looking at for its library.

I've managed to get some things downloaded and I can play them directly off the UnRaid drive with VLC etc, but I haven't gotten Plex to "see" the items in those folders yet. Sorry if this is disjointed, just trying to describe the problem and am not at home with access to the server to be more specific yet. If there's a better guide out there that details how the file system stuff should be set up that would be helpful and I can probably figure out the rest on my own. Otherwise I can give more detail later if nothing comes up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks all.

What ended up happening is I wasn't understanding how the file paths handed off things inside the docker vs outside the docker so that was leading to a lot of stuff not working, and then once getting some stuff going it led to filling up the docker memory rapidly. Then I got it. Seems to be working now at least! I've been able to get a few shows and get them working in Plex etc.

There's some other general stuff I need to figure out now, ie how to get around bad epsiodes, not download the same thing over and over etc, but I'll try to figure that out for a while before putting in a bunch of dumb questions. Pretty fun though, built my 1st server and then did a whole bunch of new stuff to get this up and running.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My newsdemon account gave me access to their "SlickVPN" and gave me logins etc for that. https://www.slickvpn.com/

I'm running an UnRaid server and installed 'binhex-delugevpn' from the community apps.

I followed the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AEzm5y2EvM&t=304s

However, I can't get it running. If I disable VPN then the deluge client starts up fine and runs torrents as it should. When I re-enable VPN however I can't even open the web interface for the client. The client shows it is running, but is inaccessible. The only change from the video above is that I'm using a different vpn client. I'm not too familiar with VPNs and their lingo in general, so I could be messing up something incredibly simple. Any thoughts on why this might be failing?

If there's another easy(ish) method to obfuscate torrent traffic from my Unraid server I'd be glad to hear about it as I'm largely doing this just to hopefully keep my ISP (Verizon FIOS) From taking notice.

e: sorry, this is probably better off in the NAS thread, put here because the overlap.

That Works fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 17, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Diddler posted:

Anyone having issues with Hydra2 going unavailable in Sonarr and Radarr? I think it started last week when I updated it, and I've updated since and it's not better. If I test the connection in sonarr it gets better for a while, then it goes offline again. I checked the logs in Sonarr and they're a mess of API errors. I went thru Hydra and cleaned up those indexers, but it happened again after I was done. I can try to re-install an older version, but I would prefer not to do that if possible.

I noticed mine went off once or twice this week but I just restarted each docker (running each in UnRaid dockers) and it's seemed to have settled down since.

Hydra2 had a recent update that I installed like... this morning as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I keep having NZBGet freeze on "Unpacking" and just stay that way for days unless I go and manually cancel post processing.

I'm running it on a docker in UnRaid, NZBGet version 21.0, server is a Core i3, 3.3ghz with 22gb of DDR3.

I have a 256gb SSD as cache and the freeze on unpacking hits randomly, definitely does not have anything to do with the cache or main array being full, PCU utilization is not consistently maxxed nor is memory, the container it's in is not filling up etc either. I will have it work perfectly fine for dozens of downloads in a row and then it will randomly hang. Basically I have to just check in once or twice a day to make sure it can actually run due to this error. I'm downloading a lot right now mostly to just build up a catalog of stuff since I just got my UnRaid server set up a few months ago and started on Usenet just after Black Friday.

For most of the files that freeze on unpacking, cancelling post processing then selecting "download remaining data" in the "Failed" tab for that file in NZBGet usually will sort them out just fine.

Any ideas / things to try? Googling around gives me a million causes for this over 5+ years, so I didn't see anything really helpful. Most who run into this seems to have a hardware issue. That does not seem to be the case here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I had that happen to me when my HDD was throwing smart errors. It would take an absolute eternity to unpack. Swapping it out for a new SSD fixed it.

Yeah its on a newish SSD and no errors that I can see coming up in logs anywhere. It just gets to unpacking and nothing happens.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a way to upgrade sonarr to v3 if I'm using the linuxserver docker container or do I have to just wait for the stable release?

Same but Unraid docker

E: thanks

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Decairn posted:

Download the tag "preview" to get v3

So uh, I am unclear on what this means / how to do this. I have linuxserver sonarr docker installed on my unraid server and googling around doesn't seem to really provide instructions on where / how to download or change tags to preview etc.

Closest thing I found was in the Sonarr V2 UI to go to settings/general/ and in the list at the bottom under "Updates" there's a field titled "Branch" and I changed this text to 'preview' and restarted / checked for updates but its still just v2. Sorry to bother but am just kinda stuck on how to update this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nullset posted:

In the Unraid webui, go to the Docker tab, click the Sonarr icon then Edit. Add :preview to the end of the Repository entry.

Thank you! Jesus I looked all over before coming back here to ask.

E: I was getting messed up also because I was using the binhex-sonarr image and when I 1st tried to do this it ruined it.

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 15, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pzy posted:

You really want more than one unlimited provider (with different back-ends) at the same priority level in your downloader for the best chance at completing all your downloads. Also add in one or two obscure provider's block accounts as a lower priority and you're golden!

I've posted an older version of this before, but here's my current SAB server list and their usage (yes I know some of the providers have the same back-ends, but this represents some overlapping yearly accounts and such)

PS: Giganews sucks now, I'll be canceling that soon

Is there a way to emulate this data output or a close equivalent for nzbget?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Any advice on improvement here?

I currently use a newsdemon annual subscription with a vipernews TB block for servers and NZBGeek and NZBFinder for indexers (in that order of priority).

I more or less get what I need but there's about 5% or so of files that I cannot get due to 'poor health' errors. Typically more current stuff. Any other block account to grab or indexer that might make a difference here?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question but I can't tell what's up with NZBHydra.

First off, everything works fine, I just can't seem to update it. I'm using UnRaid. For UnRaid I ran check updates, and even tried to force updates, looked for a newer docker container etc and don't see one.

In NZBHydra itself though it says I am pretty out of date. How do I update this?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Are you running the linuxserver/hydra2 container? If so, they stopped updating it at 2.19.6 and switched maintenance to linuxserver/nzbhydra2. If you run linuxserver/nzbhydra2:latest it should catch back up to the current version.

That did the trick, thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

nzbgeek just relaunched their site like yesterday after hacks on the old one, they'll probably reopen for new members soon. Drunkenslug is another indexer I've had good luck with

Sorry for breaking the 'no invite discussion' rule in the thread title but I've been itt for about 14 months now and I've not seen Drunkenslug open for invites during that entire timeframe. Seems kind of odd to recommend it to people when it's not available for year(s) at a stretch. Not trying to attack you or anything, just that it gets mentioned a lot as a good indexer but its not really accessible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm new to usenet so please correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience it's harder to find niche or older stuff on usenet than my private torrent trackers I use. So if that's a consideration, sign up for some free indexers +block account and see if your content is available

This is a great way to see if usenet will work for the content you're looking for without much expense / effort.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've noticed lately I've been hitting a good bit more failures due to "Poor Health". This is likely because I have been searching for some much older / more obscure shows and comics but I wanted to run through what I've been using to see if there's an obvious gap for providers and/or indexers.

For indexers I've got:
NZBGeek
Drunken Slug
Animetosho
NZB Finder

For news servers I have:
newsdemon (primary, monthly sub)
vipernews (block)
bulknews (block)

Anything else out there that I should consider throwing down a small block account on?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SlipperyNipple posted:

thing is, news demon sucks now since they moved. viper is not really going to be any better, about equal with demon. bulknews is hit or miss to especially for old posts.

Given that I've got those (and already had a 1 year sub before demon changed), can you recommend some places to get blocks and/or a recurring sub for?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

drat it! I bought a block at cube YESTERDAY because I was unhappy with NewsDemon's completion after switching to UE. I immediately completed several things I couldn't get completed on ND. Guess that ends now.

Oof same

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I’m not talking about anyone sniffing the traffic, I’m talking about handing over payment details to PirateWebsite.net which either gets hacked or gets seized by the US Government who now has your payment details as well. Your VPN doesn’t mean anything if you can tie a website username to a PayPal address with a simple subpoena.

Now, that being said, I don’t know of any Usenet sites ever being taken down by governments or any type of action against users instead of owners, but it’s still a non-zero risk.

That alone wouldn't be evidence of a crime committed though right? They'd need to provide evidence of what exactly was pirated.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

I think something like DirecTV card programmer customers’ demand letters are a more likely threat; they obtained customer lists from the card programmer hardware resellers then sent letters: “we know you bought this. the only purpose of these is to break copyright law. pay us $Xk or we’ll sue”.

How likely or successful that would be is debatable, but not having smoking gun evidence is not a barrier to a bad outcome for you.

Right but usenet subscriptions have legal uses also which isn't quite equivalent to the DirectTV thing. Knowing you have a sub wouldn't be significant burden of proof for piracy.

IANAL so just spitballing it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I've recently come across a movie with two separate types of releases and I'm wondering what to go with:

WEB-DL HDR 2160p x265 bitrate: 17.9 Mbps
BluRay 1080p AVC REMUX bitrate: 29.0 Mbps

My instinct is the WEB-DL since I was under the impression that x265 is a the more modern codec and thus it manages to get better results out of a lower bitrate. Is that actually true or should I go with the REMUX instead? My TV does support HDR.

I enjoy 265 and don't notice a performance difference on my cheapish 4k TV with a 4k firestick. The file size being considerably smaller is also nice. I'm sure someone can give a more technical reply than mine though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lurk more

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Is there anything particular I can look for when I notice that a bunch of stuff start's getting 'low health' failures?

I tried getting 2 series recently and I can't download about 90% of the material that shows up on indexers, none of the files are more than 2-3 yrs old. I've made no changes to configuration and I've had a very stable functional setup for quite some time. I am using the following news servers and just verified that I have active accounts / block space left on them.

Newsdemon - unlimited
Vipernews - block
Bulknews - block
Blocknews - block
TheCubenet - block

Any advice / suggestions?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Knifefan posted:

A lot of retention these days comes down to having an indexer with (semi-)unique obfuscated content/reuploads. What indexers are you using?

DrunkenSlug, NZBGeek, NZBFinder all through NZBHydra.

Looking at my logs in NZBGet and I was getting a lot of these:

quote:

Could not write to TLS-Socket: Connection closed by remote host

TLS handshake failed for news.newsdemon.com: error:1409442E:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert protocol version

Authorization for news.newsdemon.com (news.newsdemon.com) failed: Connection closed by remote host

Not just for newsdemon but for just about all of my news servers. I ran updates and restarted NZBGet, cleared blacklist in Sonarr etc but I get the same problem again and the same errors in the logs.

Again I haven't made any changes or anything and I've verified that my accounts are active. Internet connection is not an issue either. What gives?

e: all but one of my news servers are run encrypted with no ciphers listed. Am starting to wonder if I am being throttled by my ISP somehow for this (Verizon FIOS). I haven't been terribly active with usenet so would be surprised.

That Works fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 30, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Went back and ran the whole thing through a VPN and still have the same issues. Losing files due to health, getting the same socket error msgs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Since it's Black Friday again, any information on the state of the backbones and whatnot?

Last year I bought blocks of NewsDemon and TheCubeNet, then they became the same thing or something.

Lol same.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thought I had need for a lot of new stuff but went and checked all the random 1tb block accounts I've gathered through the past few years and lol I don't think I need anything from black Friday after all!

Went ahead and reupped 18months of drunkenslug tho.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This prob belongs in the NAS thread but maybe works here as well.

I got an Unraid Server, using NZBGet, with Hydra2 and Sonarr. This setup has been stable and functional for over a year.

Sometimes (but not always) Sonarr will initiate a download through NZBGet when a new video comes out and it will complete successfully and show up as good / finished in NZBGet. It moves it to a folder for Sonarr from there. Now what usually happens is that Sonarr sees it as properly downloaded then renames and moves it to the appropriate subfolder in /tv/ and then Plex can see it / I can play it.

Every now and then though, the file gets dumped to the Sonarr subfolder and Sonarr just doesn't see it any longer and it never gets moved to /tv/

I can go in and manually move it and then everything's good. This does not consistently happen though and I can't seem to find out as to why. Any thoughts / ideas?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thanks all for the help / suggestions.

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah first thing I'd do is compare permissions between a working and non-working file. Do you notice anything else in common with the files that don't get moved automatically, like are they the same show or released by the same group or have something different about their filename formats?

"working" files in this case get moved and renamed, so not sure about permissions differences in that regard? Anything that worked doesn't get left behind in the initial input folder from sonarr.

As far as commonality none that I can tell so far. It's fairly rare so I haven't established a pattern yet. Only seen it a few times in a year. One thing that seems to happen, not 100% confirmed is that when this does happen it hits a couple of files at once that are downloaded at the same time. Cache drive and storage drive space are both fine though, so it's not getting held up because the destination folder is full for example.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I also use Unraid and thought you were going into the issue I see where it downloads the file, extracts it, copies it to the renamed folder, but for some reason doesn't delete the original folder/files. It happens every now and then, but I'll end up with like 4 of the same episode on my desk. Not really a huge deal since I just go through every now and then to delete duplicate folders, but annoying nonetheless. I don't think it's an Unraid issue, unless it has something to do with the latency of spinning up a disk and the copy/delete commands.

Thankfully nothing like that!

wolrah posted:

Sounds like the problem is somewhere between NZBGet and Sonarr so this is probably the right place.

What do you mean by the file gets dumped in the Sonarr subfolder? Are you using Sonarr-specific categories in NZBget or do you mean it's actually ending up in Sonarr's working directory?

Is this a folder the files are expected to go in to temporarily and it's just not moving them out, or is this somewhere these downloads should never have been?

I'm not familiar with UnRAID, how are the permissions set up for this? Are all of these applications running as the same user or different? If you do a ls -l on one that gets "stuck" do the permissions look any different from one that worked?

I came into this knowing very little about unraid or setting up docker so pardon if my descriptions are poor, not very great with this stuff. I have set mine up following the SpaceInvaderOne videos almost to the letter for all of this. For my sonarr docker it always downloads to the container path /downloads/ which has an actual path of /mnt/cache/downloads/nzbget/

When files are done and unpacked from NZBGet they get dumped into /mnt/cache/downloads/nzbget/completed/Sonarr (or /Radarr if radarr initiated the pull).

From there Sonarr should rename and move the files to /mnt/user/TV/ into the shows specific subfolder. However sometimes it just leaves them in the /downloads/nzbget/Sonarr/ folder and they never get moved. I can't figure out how to get them to move and rename and why Sonarr can't seem to retry and move them. Not really sure where to look further to be honest. I can easily just manually move them but I'd like to not do that now and then since it normally just works.

e: in Sonarr itself if I go to the season / episode it shows the episode as "downloading" but at 0% even though its completed in NZBGet days ago and the file is complete and functional in the folder its in.

permissions for the file that has not been moved is -rw-rw-r-- for one that has been successfully moved it is -rw-r--r--

That Works fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 2, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sorry not familiar with Trash's guides, is that another UnRaid thing?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I got an issue I haven't been able to figure out yet. I had the day off yesterday and went through and reconfigured my entire Unraid system and updated a bunch of poo poo.

I followed the Trash guides to the letter and tested downloading some music with Lidarr and some shows with Sonarr. Lidarr worked fine and the files there showed up in my /data/media/music/ folder

However for Sonarr, the files downloaded successfully through NZBGet into the /data/usenet/tv/ folder but have not been recognized by Sonarr to move them to the /data/media/tv/ folder into the appropriate subfolder.

Any idea what might be messed up? Tried to restart all the dockers, do housekeeping cycle on Sonarr etc but nothing doing so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Lidarr, but I've never been able to get it to work for me. There's just too many different versions of everything, the US release, the JP version with bonus tracks, the first remaster, the next remaster etc etc.

Same frustration here

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Finding old / obscure isos seems to work better on Usenet and if I ever hosed up with VPN settings or anything I am less concerned that my ISP might wonder what the traffic is about.

I use probably 90-95% Usenet and 5-10% torrenting with all the *arrs in docker containers on an Unraid server / NAS and a separate low power PC with a newer Intel CPU as a Plex transcoder. All seems to work pretty well and I am not a very savvy computer toucher by any means.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Is this something you bought or built? I am looking to do the same thing and am so far removed from the DIY computer build days that I don't even know what to start. I've already got the NAS, now I just need some new compute.

HP S01 mini PC is what i used and I got a cheap refurbished one off of eBay for it. After that, I just put Ubuntu server on it set it up for auto updates and installed the Plex server Linux client. In the Plex GUI, you can point the library to the Nas folder.

Basically, you just want a fairly low power PC that has a new-ish Intel processor, so that it can transcode from the Plex server itself if you wish, which I found to be preferable given the array of different streaming devices I had, and that some of them were not great at transcoding themselves.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I use private internet access for my vpn and it handles Usenet and torrenting fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Burden posted:

I use Drunkenslug along with NZBgeek and I seem to be able to get everything I need. Slug is a little bit nicer if you are actually using the website to search. It appears to me that NZBgeek does better when I want something not 4K in HEVC encoding.

I only had nzbgeek and 1-2 other free trackers and it was OK. Once I got geek and drunkenslug its been a bit better and Ill keep using both from here on.