Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K.O.
Mar 19, 2007
This is sad :(.

At least they did it towards the begging of the slow period of TV when most shows don't have new epps.

I have also been wondering about the whole issue of the payment processors being sued or threatened for doing business with these sites. If the sites comply with the DMCA notices, then they are not doing anything wrong, how can the other companies threaten someone like paypal to not do business with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K.O.
Mar 19, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Because to prove that the site is being good and complying, there would have to be come court action and investigation and all sorts of faffing around, most companies don't want this and its easier to just cut off ties than invite that sort of thing.

The whole thing, just feels like, extortion. This, coupled with the automated DMCA notices and companies filling DMCA's for things that they don't actually own just seems like a large scale criminal bullying. We the little people must revolt.

K.O.
Mar 19, 2007

coffeetable posted:

How dare they try to stop you pirating whatever the hell you like.

I would have no problem if they made content available online, I don't care about ads, I watch most of my TV shows on hulu anyway. But there are some that I just have to watch the day of. But as with music, this is just a matter of them holding on to the old way.

Their current model is outdated, and has fallen behind their base. No-one wants to sit and wait for a TV show to start, and only having 3 hours of prime time a night creates competition between shows, affecting ad revenue and "ratings". In a digital model, people will be able to watch the shows when they want. Better statistics of viewership and targeted ads would only increase revenue, and not having to fight for "ratings" on a given night/time slot would allow more shows to stay "on-air" and not be canceled because a few select families chose to watch something else that hour.

K.O.
Mar 19, 2007

Ashex posted:

Commercial NAS units are pretty limited on resources. They're designed to handle a very specific set of tasks, sometimes you'll find NAS units designed to run some apps on top of it (Synology) but nothing that requires even moderate CPU.

Personally, if you can spare the cash I recommend rolling your own. It's pretty easy/cheap to build a Mini-ITX file server with redundant storage. Use linux if you can, otherwise Windows Home Server/Server 2012 Essentials will work just fine.

For rolling out your own: http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180tb-of-good-vibrations-storage-pod-3-0/
It's one of the best bang for your buck storage solutions.