Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I'm thinking of switching Usenet providers. I'm currently paying $22.99 a month at Newsdemon, the service is good but I could be getting cheaper for the same service pretty much. I wasn't aware of many other providers apart from Giganews before reading this thread, due to my own ignorance of not shopping around.

Supernews sounds good, but what I like about Newsdemon is that it has a UK server. I have a 50MB connection so I'm used to downloading at 5MB/s+ a second, if I could be guaranteed that at perhaps Supernews or Usenetserver I'd switch in a heartbeat. Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Nitr0 posted:

I get 15MB on supernews. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 5.

Also lmao $23 a month.

I think part of it is an overseas transaction fee, but you're right it's pretty ridiculous.

I'll look into blocknews also. I've never had to do that, so that's new to me. Used Giganews previously but that was even more expensive than what I'm paying now.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know how much your overseas transaction is, but last year Newsdemon had a Black Friday sale of $6 a month for the service so you might want to keep that in mind around the end of next month.

That sounds good, actually. Are incompletes really common enough to warrant a blocknews account with Supernews? I'm reading up and there's a lot of debate, a lot of people seem to prefer Astraweb but in either case everyone recommends a blocknews account. I've never had any trouble with incompletes with Newsdemon.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Geekner posted:

A 5gig blocknews account has worked fine for almost a year now. I haven't had to renew it yet. Unless you have a really bad host you'll rarely use more than a few megs to repair a broken download.

I see, as a backup server in SABnzbd. Makes sense. Sorry, I'm pretty inexperienced in this field. Looking at their prices that doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

coldfire07 posted:

Dear God, what?

I signed up for a trial Newsdemon account, cancelled it before trial was over because it was "too expensive".

I now have $8.00/mo for their best service. Give cancelling a shot, it will offer you the discount before cancelling is official. At least it did for me.

Oh wow, you're right.

We want you to stay part of the NewsDemon.com Newsgroups family. So we've created a special, one-time incentive to keep you for a member by offering you:
A lifetime subscription to our Unlimited plus plan for only $8.00 a month!
The new rate would immediately go in effect for each monthly billing cycle.

GO FOR IT?

Yes
No

How silly that I never attempted that before. I did that with Giganews, never thought of doing it with Newsdemon. Thanks.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Whenever I restart my computer SABnzbd doesn't start up itself despite being in my startup folder. And then when I start it up manually, it changes port, which is annoying because it doesn't let me change it back, then I have to reconfigure SickBeard. :argh:

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

inpheaux posted:

Don't use the startup folder. Reinstall sabnzbd using the installer build and tell it to automatically start.

Guess I'll do that then.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I've been using Windows Media Center on my Xbox 360 to stream TV shows in HD quality to my TV. It's ok I guess, having everything done automatically with SickBeard is great and all but I'm wondering what alternatives people use to stream video to their TV. WMC is slow and clunky, and it's kind of picky over what mkv files it will play or not.

I realise this isn't really the thread to ask this, but I know a lot of people here use SickBeard so it'll be applicable to them. Any suggestions?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

EC posted:

XBMC, Plex, Boxee.

Probably inferior alts: Media Portal, MeediOS

XBMC is the real answer, though, it's amazing.

I just want something I can use and stream from my main computer out the box. Will the Boxee Box do this well with MKV files? I use SickBeard to download my TV shows and I just want something easy to stream them to my TV. The Boxee Box seems like it'll do a decent job of it, just wondering about performance.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

EC posted:

It should, but you might want to test-drive the interface to see if you like it. I personally prefer the XBMC interface and various skins to anything that Plex or Boxee has done.

I've had a look and I do prefer the XBMC interface but I don't want the hassle of building a system for it, the Boxee Box seems like the quickest and cheapest option. I'm still weighing up my options, baring in mind I won't be storing any content on the system, it's all going to be streamed over my network (using an ethernet cable, not wifi).

Although, for what I use the Apple TV doesn't seem that bad. Again though, I'd just be worried about the performance when streaming large MKV files. It's almost too small. Actually, does it even play MKV files natively? Really need to do some research.

Tychtrip fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 7, 2012

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Lord Dekks posted:

How important is the MKV side of things to you? I've found my Xbox 360 is fantastic at streaming, the only caveat is that MKVs need to be re-wrapped into MP4s, but its dead easy to get SABnzbd to do this in a script and doesn't take long on a derm system. So might be worth getting a cheap used Xbox 360?

I'm currently using my Xbox 360. It's ok, it can actually play MKV's with WMC but it's fussy over which ones it will play and I really don't like the performance and interface. It's all very slow and clunky for my liking. It serves a purpose though.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

EC posted:

There are pre-built systems that are great for XBMC. I have a home-built HTPC and an Apple TV that's jailbroken with XBMC installed. The HTPC is great, and I like having a Windows box so I can do other poo poo with the HTPC. It plays everything I throw at it flawlessly, and I hardly ever have an issue with it. That's using all kinds of plugins, skins, and add-ons for emulation or trailers.

The Apple TV wins on a couple of points: size, power consumption, and bonus features if you have other iOS products. I find myself using AirPlay way more than I ever thought I would. Using XBMC is great, but it's a bit limited by the ATV hardware, so you'll see some stuttering in CPU intensive skins. I've never tried 1080p stuff on it, as it only outputs in 720p, but it's played everything else without issues.

I don't think I mentioned it, but like others are saying the 360/PS3 is good for playback as well. I find them very finicky, personally, but others seem to not have issues with them. You can stream mkvs and what not if you install some sort of transcoding software on your main PC and stream from that.

This isn't really the thread for all that, though. Check out the HTPC thread for various hardware options, and the XBMC thread for specific info on that.

Appreciate the help. I'll check out that thread. I'm not worrying too much about my HTPC being able to run many plugins or anything, it's purely for watching TV. And purely streaming.

I'll scan through those threads for some tips. Cheers.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Drevoak posted:

I just started using usenet and I'm really amazed at this. I don't quite fully understand how everything works just yet. Will using a backup provider fix missing articles and repairs? I've been getting a lot of "Repair failed, not enough blocks (## Short)", If so how can I get sabnbzd to use the backup provider to fix it? I hit retry and it looks like it still uses my main. I'm using Supernews as my main and blocknews as my backup.

Are you sure the backup server is connecting? Never had that issue, hit Test Server and check the counter next to it to see if it has downloaded anything.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I have to use NZBMatrix since I can't for the life of me get an nzbs.org account. I guess I always miss it whenever they open registration or whatever.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
When I was younger and I first used Usenet (had no idea about SAB, oh man) I used to browse groups on a program called Newsleecher. Was pretty basic software but you could select groups to browse. It was a huge clusterfuck to be honest. Much easier to browse an nzb indexer.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Mighty Zoltar posted:

I have a stupid issue which has been ongoing since I messed around with my file associations, and it possibly was the same time as the nzbs dot org site change.

I'm using Windows, Firefox, and the other necessary components to make downloads work. However, on the website mentioned, when I click the nzb link, rather than just go to my queue, I get the save/run popup. Despite ticking the "always take this action" box, it always prompts me. In addition, I click ok to run with sabnzdb, and it queues the file twice.

I'm sure I'm either being stupid, the site update caused this for everyone, or something similar to that.

Help please.

In that case (with the sites I use there's a 'sent to SABnzbd button', Chrome plugin I think) I'd just click save rather than run, and have SAB watch your download folder for new NZBs. It's probably easier. It's in the general settings somewhere I think.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Fuhrer posted:

It seems like I am the only person in this thread still using Newsleecher?

:confused:

Haha, I remember using Newsleecher before I discovered SabNZBD. I guess the Super Search service could actually come in handy about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Syano posted:

Alright so how exactly does the sickbeard backlog search work? I forced a backlog search and it pulled nothing. I manually searched for the item through the index site though and several things I needed popped up. What gives?

Silly question but is the content you're trying to backlog set to Wanted?