Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

norp posted:

Its probably simpler to solve that with either hardware or software at playback

My $50 androidtv dongle has no trouble downmixing to stereo on my bedroom tv, what are you using to play this stuff back?

Ya any of the AndroidTV, AppleTV, or Roku stuff made in the last few years should handle DTS just fine.

If you were talking Atmos or maybe even TrueHD/DTS-HD then it would be another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Anyone got tips on getting Lidarr's search working? I've got it hooked up to nzb.su but it just fails to load any results or a useful error code. I also tried the Headphones VIP service but it was equally fail.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Caveat: I don’t know anything about deemix or what it does.

That said, if you’re downloading a whole bunch of stuff, it’s pretty common to rate limit high usage IPs.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I haven't run into this yet, but I'm sure it exists. One issue with the process documented in your link is that it doesn't work super well for music that wasn't recorded in the era when capturing 20-20,000hz was the norm. This is most music up until the late 60's and less mainstream music (indie stuff, especially punk) well after that. You probably wouldn't see as music of an extreme cutoff though.

I've done a fair amount of side-by-side spectrogram comparison between some existing mp3 copies I had and I could see additional details present in the Deezer flacs, but obviously every album may be different.

Not that I've ever heard of. I was a heavy user of Usenet to get music in the pre-NZB days (early 2000s) and things were very active, but they've really died down since then. I'm sure most of the mainstream releases get posted, but you're probably going to have better luck getting music from other sources.

Honestly, it's probably just helpful to know that at least for non-variable bitrates, you'd see a very sharp cutoff. It's harder with AAC/OGG where it can be variable bitrate but even then, you'd expect the "sea level" to be higher.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Slash posted:

One of the HDD's in my NAS is starting to fail, and it's probably time to start upgrading them to larger ones anyway. Are WD Red still the best option? and the price sweetspot seems to be around 4TB or 6TB? Also what's the deal with this SMR technology, do i need to specifically avoid it?

While there are probably a number of folks overlapping, the NAS thread is probably better suited to answer your question: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=644

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

Odd question but I've seen enough people doing something like it. What kind of Raspberry Pi would be enough to run Sonarr, Radarr, NZBGet, NZBHydra2? I think I've got a Pi 3 right now.

As others said, 3 and above should be fine.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Dyscrasia posted:

Cool, I'll have to try out SAB again then. It's been about 2 years since I last checked it.

I got it setup for good measure on my machine and it’s doing goofy poo poo with placing stuff into folders. I’m gonna have to figure out how to get it to behave like NZBGet with the folder structuring.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Taima posted:

Could someone help me understand the compression that is used these days?

I'm used to 40-100gb remux, but I see that these files are often pared down now to x265 and they're about a quarter of the size. They also seemingly retain TrueHD.

So like, are remuxes still the way forward or is there no effective difference now that better compression exists? I am starting to feel like an old person preferring remux when the market is clearly moving towards these more efficient solutions.

So x265 and AV1 are substantially better compression algorithms. Basically all 4K+ content is compressed in x265 off streaming sources. I can’t speak to why remuxes might prefer it to the older uncompressed format. There’s probably detectable artifacts if you did digital forensics but not much to naked eye.

As to TrueHD, it is common these days to leave the audio channel unaltered from the original source. For example, retaining TrueHD or Atmos but then compressing the video stream and encoding with x265.

The biggest drawback for x265 and even more so AV1 is having hardware that can decode it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

i’m just starting and tinkering around with geek and giga news (3 day and 14 day free trials) and probably will try to use an old laptop as a media centre (?)

but it is very funny how people keep referencing downloading linux isos, dude must have 1000s on his nas

I’m not sure there’s anything *else* on Usenet.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Same. I’ve got 4-5, two of which I bought lifetime subs to on sale a couple years ago for like $30.

Looking at my stats, seems like ninja and geek are my main ones.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Taima posted:

:words:

Wait what?

I've used Steam for years and have never once saturated 100MB/sec, that's something people are doing? Can anyone else confirm that?

I do it regularly.

A lot of how fast your connection is has little to do with either your source (Steam) or your home connection. The routing in the middle can really slow things down - bad routes, peering agreements etc.

For years, I couldn’t stream YouTube at 1080p. No one could in my area. I’m on CenturyLink, not some little ISP. Finally enough people complained that they revisited the peering with Google’s DC’s and it improved dramatically. Right before pandemic actually.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Deluge was good because it had thin client I could run on my PC and use that to easily feed it torrents. Had problems with stability, though, so I've switched to rTorrent, which is more stable for me, but I can't find a way to connect to my NAS from the desktop.

For rtorrent, can’t you just access the web UI?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Is there some reason I should care about the Sonarr v4 upgrade aside from it being new and shiny?

I don't really have any complaints about v3 at the moment.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ok cool - then I'll do it at my own pace some time in the next few months and not worry about it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just do docker update pulls.

I have sacrificed my NAS upon the alter of TrueNAS Scale so I just mash the update button and it all seems to work fine?

People are mad about it but I don’t have any problems.

Maybe it’s because I’ve had multiple jobs that have Stockholm-Syndromed me into dealing with Kubernetes.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Laserface posted:

is there a way I can tell plex/sonarr/radarr to delete anything that has been marked for longer than x amount of days?

currently the only way i can find to do this is to edit each shows advanced settings within plex. I was hoping to blanket update everything in Plex to do this.

AFAIK there’s no blanket option for any app. It’s per show. Sonarr’s closest option like this is “latest season only” or whatever it’s called.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Is there any way to either configuring the download client (nzbget) or the *arrs to spread out requests to download? Occasionally I find a couple shows I want to download and they’ve each got 100s of episodes. That makes the indexers mad.

I honestly don’t care if the queue is spread across many hours since I can’t watch it that fast.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Hmm okay. I’ll play with the api limits stuff and priorities. I can’t remember if I did anything with those.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

So I know nzbget as a project lost its primary author a couple years back. The GitHub project on the main page is archived.

I occasionally get updates for it on my TrueNAS Scale install, but I’m guessing those are just container updates to the underlying container OS and not nzbget updates.

My install has been working fine but curious if anyone knows a reason I should really move to sabnzbd. I’ve had bad experiences with sab in the past so I’ve avoided messing with it for now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

If it works I don’t see a reason to change

FWIW I swapped from sabnzbd to nzbget a long time ago because it was running kind of lovely and seemed to have a reputation for being resource hungry, and then a few years after that nzbget just mysteriously broke to the point that whatever was broken persisted through a simple reinstall and I couldn’t be bothered to try and fix it to I switched back and sabnzbd has been fine ever since

I now run it in a container on an arm-powered NAS enclosure alongside containers for Sonarr and radarr and if it’s still a little bloated in comparison I’m not seeing the effects of it :shrug:

What you’re describing is the inverse of my experience lol. I went nzbget->sabnzbd->nzbget.

But ya - as long as it keeps fetching poo poo I’m not gonna worry about it. It’s not internet exposed or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Dyscrasia posted:

There is an active fork for nzbget

https://github.com/nzbgetcom/nzbget

Nice - apparently this is what I was already using. I traced back the helm chart to the underlying container definition and it's definitely coming from the new source.