Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I'm downloading something and it failed to repair cause I'm just missing a measly 7 MB of 3+ GB, what can I do about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

td4guy posted:

Blocknews is up for me and their faq website and twitter feed don't mention any downtime.
Spend $2.75 at Blocknews, add it as a backup server, and try repairing again? I think that's how it works nowadays.

I forgot to mention that Blocknews is my primary (and only) provider, since I don't download too much. I just buy the 200 GB plan and it lasts me for months.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Did RSS feeds from nzbs.org die or something? I had an rss feed set to watch for and filter out certain keywords which show up in my Google Reader but haven't seen a single update in a while. If I go to the website and search for the keywords there then lots of recent items pop up. I also can't seem to find where I made this rss feed because the entire website changed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jesse Iceberg posted:

My nzbs.org RSS feeds (just feeds of separate categories) were still working as of an hour or so ago, when I saw the last update. You subscribe to the feeds from http://nzbs.org/rss, with some limited filtering options. For more complex filtering, you'd probably need to use the API.

Yeah, I had to update my rss feeds because mine were really old (I think from a time when I could actually specify search terms). I remade a rss url from the rss page and it seems to be in order again.

What's the difference between x264 and h264? HD and HD+?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

...! posted:

This is probably a stupid question. I like that Sickbeard can be set to automatically grab higher quality versions of an episode as they become available, but I'd like more control over the process. Is there a way to temporarily pause this function? I'm on a strict throughput quota and it's a bit irritating to wake up one day late in the month and discover that Sickbeard has eaten up a large portion of my remaining quota overnight.

Yeah, I don't need to wake up to two emails saying both a 720p HD version and a 720p WEB-DL version were grabbed, and then half a year later get one more email saying the BluRay rip was downloaded.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Read posted:

People paste in their passwords? :wtc:

Do you keep a text file with all your passwords to copy from or?

Sure.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485964

e: not exactly a text file though

e2: ok this is seriously stupid. Using my password generator I generated something like '$.M)Z0CcI@DYf17fyM6>7rZgb' and of course it's not letting me paste it into the password registration field to register. gently caress if I'm going to type that in character for character. Is it worth it over nzbs.org?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 31, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Read posted:

Using passwords like that seems a bit extreme, in the rare case someone can manage to actually attempt a bruteforce you don't need anything near that complexity. A password like "Tangerine Alaskan Sheep Volcano" is more than enough entropy ((26+26+1)^31 if you're only bruteforcing spaces and letters (upper/lower case), if you're bruteforcing numbers, special characters and letters in both upper and lower case it's even more) but much easier to remember.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a big concern that your password for a website that only hosts NZB files is going to get stolen and used?

Because

Keito posted:

If you're using a password manager in the first place, why not just let it do its job autogenerating strong passwords for everything?

I have a password manager. Why not use it?

e: Anyway, why should I register for dognzb when I'm already suing nzbs.org?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can anyone explain to me what all these terms mean that come up when I search for nzbs? Things like proper, repack, nuked, etc. I'm assuming repack means exactly what it means (i.e., the previous version uploaded was incomplete) but the other stuff?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's also letting me download things from my RSS feed that I set up, so it's just a bug probably.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is blocknews still the cheapest option for a block account for people who don't download too much?

Also, I haven't followed or paid attention or cared at all about all these new search indexers because my nzbs.org account still works just fine. Should I be worried as in are they planning on actually shutting down?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does nab.su delete accounts for inactivity? I see that I have an account listed in my password manager, but it tells me the login isn't found if I try to login.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

On nzbs what's the difference between HD and HD+?

e: Is it 720p vs 1080p?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 29, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I noticed I still have to login to nzbs.org via their 'forums' page. It's been like this for years, am I safe to assume that it's just on purpose at this point? Do they still have most* things I'd ever want to download or should I really look for other options? Don't wanna be left in the dirt.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wait what's the catch here? Their $5 server seems comparable/better than DigitalOcean's $5 VPS. I've been thinking about spinning up another server to host a owncloud and such but this seems like the better deal if I can manage to grab one of those $5 servers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kri kri posted:

Uninstall CP, install nzbget and the videosort script.

Is nzbget a replacement for sabnzbd?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So what's the best way to stream videos from my PC to my iPhone or laptop? I don't keep a library of anything I download, just watch once and delete, so nzbget just dumps everything into one single download folder. I'd like something I can run in the background/as a service that just watches this single folder and then I can download some app or something on my iPhone and stream whatever videos are in this folder when I'm in bed and don't feel like sitting at my desk. I don't really care about metadata or any bells and whistles since like I said I just delete everything after a single viewing anyways.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 13, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

JoeMB posted:

I use Plex myself but that might be a bit overkill for you but it does streaming and can transcode the video if your device or connection can't support it.

The iOS Plex app requires a $5 monthly subscription though? Yeah no I'm not paying $5 a month to stream my own things on my own wifi network.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oh, yeah it wasn't really clear because I just downloaded the ios app and was 1) confused why I needed to make an account just to stream videos from my computer to my phone locally and 2) why it asked me to buy a $5 subscription after I created said account.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Just for the record I tried to stream a thing via Plex to my phone this morning and it told me I could only use it as a remote unless I either subscribe monthly for pay $5 for the app. Instant delete.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Open a browser and go to localhost:8080 ?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Anyone have experience using a dedicated server to handle all the downloading and streaming (via say Plex)? Basically how powerful of a CPU do I need to do this assuming it's just one user and one concurrent stream/device at a time?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So this is anecdote but I'm only using blocknews as my sole provider right now and have been for 5-6 years now and I don't ever have any downloads fail that I can think of. But I only download things as they air so maybe that's before any takedowns can happen?

e: thanks for the server/plex advice. I was thinking about renting a cheap dedicated server instead of building one of my own. I guess I could go either way though since it seems like dedicated servers are popular among people with seedboxes for their 24/7 uploading speeds and I don't plan on ever doing that. The only thing I'd worry about with hosting my own server is whether or not my ISP would care and I don't know how I'd feel about opening up my own home network to face the Internet. I mean I know the basics of securing a Linux server (block passworded ssh access, fail2ban, etc) but I'm not a network guy. If someone gets into my random offsite media server then no big deal, but if someone got into my home network then that's kind of a big deal. I was looking at the KS-3C server from kimsufi.com to experiment around with. It's a second generation i3 (2 cores, 3.4 GHz) with 8 GB RAM. Comes out to about 20€/month after taxes. That should be way more than enough computing power right? I'm also taking suggestions for something cheaper but I haven't found anything cheaper that's not running some kind of lovely Atom.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 7, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So I've set up an nginx server to act as a reverse proxy to my usenet services, using a let's encrypt ssl certificate and basic authentication to avoid going through vpn. My nginx and iptables setup is below. Going to https://mydomain.com/nzbget prompts me to authenticate with an account and then I have full access to nzbget. Going to https://mydomain.com/web (plex) serves up the plex media server page but tells me that it can't access my server. I already set up the plex media server so I don't think that's the problem.

What do I need to do to get Plex Media Server to work behind my reverse nginx proxy? I don't want to open up port 32400 in my firewall because I want everything to go through my reverse proxy. It works for sonarr and nzbget so I don't see why it can't work for plex.

code:
server {
	listen 443 ssl;

[...]

auth_basic "Authenticate.";
	auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/.htpasswd;

[...]

# nzbget
	location /nzbget {
		proxy_pass [url]http://127.0.0.1:6789;[/url]
		proxy_set_header Host $host;
		proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
		proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
	}

# plex requires /web location which is dumb
	location /web {
		proxy_pass [url]http://127.0.0.1:32400;[/url]
		proxy_set_header Host $host;
		proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
		proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
	}
}
code:
[pappy@bourbon ~]$ sudo iptables -S
-P INPUT DROP
-P FORWARD DROP
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT
-A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kachunkachunk posted:

I reverse proxy a bunch of crap as well, but never really needed to bother proxying to Plex. What's your reasoning for avoiding the port forwarding/NAT, out of curiosity?

No reason other than wanting to keep the most minimal amounts of ports open I guess. I have it set up so that going to https://mydomain.com/any_directory immediately prompts for a username and password and then in nzbget/sonarr/etc I have authentication disabled so I don't have to bother individually.

I'd like the same setup with Plex as well though maybe it's not necessary? Plex is confusing to me because I've never used it much before but why does it have me logging in to a plex.tv server. I'm thinking maybe the basic http authentication I have setup is interfering with Plex somehow. I guess if the standard plex authentication/encryption is good enough then I can try disabling the http authentication I have setup, but I'll have to try that later.

Kachunkachunk posted:

Have you also had much experience doing this with Apache? I'm thinking about moving to Nginx for proxying, if it's easier. I never really had a high degree of success reverse proxying stuff via Apache, or it takes a ton of rewriting/effort to do it right.

No experience with apache. I just grabbed nginx because I thought it was lighter weight and the newer kid on the block. The nginx configuration snippet I posted above though is literally all I had to add to my nginx setting (in addition to following a let's encrypt tutorial I found on digital ocean's website).

e: Alternatively is there an alternative to Plex that's worth a drat?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 12, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Did you have to set anything special from within the plex server settings? Like the custom port, or custom server mapping (under Settings -> Server -> Network)?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

I like dog, but my vip is expiring unless that policy changes

I can send you an nzb.su invite if you want to switch to something else?

How much does nzb.su cost? If it's free or relatively cheap I wouldn't mind an invite tossed over to my username @gmail if you don't mind.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Try nzbs.org/login

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Rookoo posted:

It appears my account has been disabled. Ah well, not too surprising considering its long inactivity.

Maybe try emailing them? Their "contact us" page links admin as their primary contact email username. I dont know if they'll read or do anything to help you but I also don't think I ever paid for my nzbs account ever and there was a period where my account was inactive for 2-3 years straight.

It's a long shot but couldn't hurt, especially if you've paid for it somehow in the past and can prove it.

Otherwise it seems like people are more than happy to send invites in this thread. I don't really know why the title says "don't talk about it?"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is “org” nzbs dot that? If so I have an account from who knows when (I think I was introduced to Usenet in like 2010 so around then) that’s been working great. To be honest that’s the only tracker or whatever that I have since everything else is either locked out or requires payment.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

I use newsgroup ninja. You'll just want a primary unlimited preferably that has US, NL, and DE servers and then a backup block account from a different backbone. https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/wiki/providers

Question of mine. In Radarr I've discovered just recently that if I finish a download and then go click the Search tab for another movie, it can't populate that list of available files. I restarted Radarr to no avail yesterday and then my router today which may have fixed it. But then after downloading another file, it happened again. Any ideas? I've used it up until now without problems.

edit: wtf nevermind it works again. Don't know what is going on.

How does Radarr compare to couchpotato?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mephistopheles posted:

Usenet.farm is having a 30% off sale now using HNBM2018 as the code.

Came to post that cause I just saw the email.

I’ve used them for over a year now and they’re great. I have no complaints.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I just meant how come they were in a post on SA. I don't think I've ever seen them before here.

Different keyboard layouts making the lower quotes easily accessible and old habits?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there something like nzbhydra but for providers? I don’t download enough stuff to justify subscriptions so I just have a few block accounts. Getting tired of nzbget just deciding to hang and do nothing (and me not noticing for days) when a block account runs out or whatever.

Speaking of nzbhydra is it something worth using?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hughlander posted:

When I started reading this I was going to say NZBGet... Do you have the tiers set up? I’ve never had a problem with it not falling back to a different block account for whatever reason. Though I do have one subscription and then 4-5 blocks that last for years so it may be a bit different.

I’m using tiers I think but maybe I’m doing it wrong. I just had to go in and manually disable a block account earlier this week, that was on its own tier. I’m not 100% sure anymore but I think that this particular download hung partially through the download because that block ran out and it didn’t/couldn’t switch over to a different tier/block account to resume. I had to cancel the download and delete the records of it and then redownloading was fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Usenet.farm has 30% off with VAL2018.

Block accounts are 15€ for 500GB normally. They aren’t a reseller (I think).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Today is the Dutch king’s birthday so usenet.farm is 20% off.

quote:

Today we also celebrate the birthday from our king (Kingsday) in the Netherlands, we give you a 20% discount on every payment made this weekend with coupon KINGSDAY2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Usenet.farm is 25% off throughout this weekend. It’s €15/500GB for their block accounts (before discount) and I quite like them. Plus it’s a lot cheaper than blocknews from the OP.

Email says discount should be automatically applied.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Usenet.Farm has a 30% off coupon:

quote:

Usenet.Farm expansion and XMAS sale!

TL;DR: (To long, didn't read)

* Full binary retention upgrade from 30 -> 70+ days
* Help us with monthly support this will bring another +30 days in Q1/Q2-2019
* Header groups from ~8000 -> 80K (and still counting)
* 10 years of text retention
* 30% discount on all packages with coupon XMAS2018

I have no idea what header groups are but maybe this means something to people here.

€10.50 for 500GB (reg: €15) is pretty nice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I only ever grab recently released Linux ISOs so retention has never been an issue for me, but yeah I understand ymmv.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just saw the news about .org :(

quote:

holy gently caress im getting old

e:

I'm trying to register at the .in website with the referral code in the .org forums but I get a blank page after I hit 'submit'. Seems like lots of people commenting are too. Did I miss the window or something?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 14, 2019