Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Is anyone else having trouble w/ speeds from Supernews?

I'm getting 1KB/s a right now..

I've used 1.1 terabytes since Nov 5th, and I usually average 10-15 megabytes per second. Checked my bandwidth on various bandwidth testing sites, and I'm good to go there.

Have I been QoS'd by my ISP? Is there a way to check that?

Edit-- nevermind, it was just being weird and only showing me as d/l'ing 1kbps, but I was getting my normal 15 megabytes a second-- just a weird glitch in the way it was displaying the download.

porktree posted:

Did nzb.su change things up? I noticed last night that it's downloading nzbs in 'nzp.zip' format and that is sucking balls for me when I use my iPad to send to Qouch since Qouch doesn't handle zip files. Any nzb.su users notice this, or no of a setting I'm missing on nzb.su or in Qouch?

It's the same as it's been since Nov for me. One solution I have started using is that I have SABNZBD checking my cloud folders for NZB's to go to work on.. So when I download an NZB, or a zip'd NZB on another device, say my phone or tablet, I just save it to my cloud folder and it picks it up. I'm not familiar with Qouch but this setup lets me check my downloads on any device with a browser by logging into my SABNZBD, and to queue up downloads from anywhere. I was on the metro train yesterday and queue'd up a download and by the time I got home it was done. Maybe this kind of setup would work for you?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

When NZBMatrix was shut down, there was talk of a goon NZB server. Is that still a possibility, or has everyone pretty much gravitated towards rolling their own with Newznab?

Actually we've got the hardware, and are looking to get the server into the hosting center very shortly.

We're still trying to gauge goon interest-- a helpful goon has already bought up a domain, and we've got people onboard for the front end coding etc.

PM me if you're interested, so we can sort of gauge how many users we might wind up with.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 14, 2013

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah guys, the Something Awful Forums Usenet thread is no place for talking about the goon-run NZB indexer project. Shame on you, dicks.

I actually feel like it's not a huge deal to talk about it in here.

I don't think SHSC is public, and we're not going to be handing out the invites in the thread or anything. We do need to gauge user interest, and kind of talk a bit about costs (So we can cover the costs that have already been spent, and hosting) and also how to run this project without it being to the detriment of the SA community.. For instance, requiring X amount of time registered before allowing registration w/ the project to avoid any WHERE DA NZB'S AT?? sorta thing from happening.

There are some pretty simple technical implementations to do this that have been used successfully by other goon projects.

The goal really is a good solid reliable NZB indexer that has a small but active community and plenty of features but SA members only access. Some costs we're looking at is right around $600 a year or so for hosting + recouping the hardware costs eventually. (A very generous member bought the SSD's and mobo/proc needed for all this)

If we can get 100 users, which I think should be more than easy, we can run this thing pretty darn cheap with very small donations from the overall userbase. This isn't a money making enterprise or anything like that, just looking to create a private goon only solution for NZB indexing so that we don't have to deal with the constant indexer takedowns and lovely communities at a lot of different indexers.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Things are going good with the goonzb project. We're shy 1 hard drive and an HBA, and then it will be installed at the data center. When we first get this thing online it's going to be your standard NN+ setup, so a lot like nzbs.org.. But that isn't the end of development. We've had a few folks step up willing to work on the site/php stuff that way subscribers are getting something more than just another indexer that happens to be goon friendly.

Aside from all the extra nice features and everything, the real big feature we'd like to see happen is an active community with sane comments and ratings, etc. I think that will be one of, if not the best, features.

I've recieved around 50 messages saying various people were interested, I'm hoping that's about 25%-50% of the people that would like to subscribe, because in order to make this a good value-added service at a good price, we need around 100-150 users to at least cover costs for the first year (Which include the hardware) at low prices to the end user. If anyone has good suggestions on how to handle the paypal / payment side of things we'd love to hear it.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Free Chicken posted:

Thanks a lot for this. That's some real shady poo poo.

It's not much longer until goonzb becomes a thing, you may want to wait and subscribe there..?

Also, last minute hardware is getting to us on Wed for the server.. We should be up and running fairly soon after that.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, so update on GOONZB..

The SSD's and the HBA are in our guy's hands. So we now have all the hardware we need. Our guy works a p. busy job already doing tech stuff, so he's working on this in his freetime, which is a bit limited this week-- but we're literally on the final stretch to getting this server built, configured, and placed in the data center (Our guy lives near the place).

My particular brand of fake misogyny humor over in GiP recently got me banned, so I lost my platinum.. I had 100+ PM's, and I did note everyone. We'll get a separate thread going sometime in the future if that's deemed kosher. Just wanted to thank everyone for PM'ing on the project to show interest-- it made that leap of faith that was taken to procure the hardware/hosting a lot less scary. There was a bit of concern that we might wind up outlaying for the thing and find that we had no user base.

Our main guy working on all this stuff has really been doing a wonderful job, and I think you all will be very happy with the project as we go from a regular NN+ provider to a more custom setup.

Thanks again for the PM's, I'm sorry I lost access to them and can't do the mass replies I had planned.

Cheers. :)

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Mister Chief posted:

How long has nzb.su been down?

Yeah I'm not sure either.. I looked up some linux iso's earlier and downloaded the NZB's, I'd say around 3am CST. I go to look for something I missed and it's down. The "is this site down for everyone or just me?" confirms that it's actually down.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
GOONZB Update:

Well we have finally procured the last odds and ends of the hardware and have the server put together. It's going into the datacenter this weekend pending any catastrophe's.

It's pretty much a VMWare esxi box, CentOS, etc.

I got a bunch of e-mails from sysadmin types offering up help and support.. It's been a little bit since then though, so I wanted to go ahead and open this up again.

If you're a sysadmin that wants to get in on the project I've setup an IRC channel on synirc.net it.. #GOONZB. For now we want to use this as the main hub to bring any other goons into the brain trust. Right now nothing is going on in there since, obviously the server isn't installed at the datacenter yet-- but once that happens fri/sat, we'll be a lot more active in there.

Project is moving forward!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If you have questions / comments / concerns / about the GOONZB project join us in #goonzb on synirc, or e-mail thegoonzb@gmail.com. This will help keep us from distracting too much from this thread. Thanks.

ALL ACCOUNT CREATION IS TEMPORARILY ON HOLD WHILE WE CREATE THE AUTOMATIC ACCOUNT CREATION/VERIFICATION SYSTEM. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE

Hi guys. Sorry about my absence.

I'm in the GOONZB Channel as SHIMAJEW. Our main man HOOTHOOT has the server up and running, and our indexing is going well.

Now is the time to start sorting out people who want to become members, while hoothoot starts to get the payment system sorted out.

For the time being I will be collecting user data to create accounts now. If you want to get in on the ALPHA test action and help work out bugs, please join #goonzb on synirc and pimp myself and hoothoot (I am Shimajew on IRC)

This will eventually all be automated, but we're working toward that. Baby steps first and all.

If you would like to become a member of the Goonzb community, please e-mail us at thegoonzb@gmail.com using the following exact format:

Your SA Handle
Your SA USERID (You can get this looking at the URL in your browser when you look at your profile)
Your E-mail Address
Your Desired account name (We'll keep it alphanumeric for now)
Your Desired account password

This will then be used to tally up the first batch of non test accounts, and we'll use this info data to contact you to activate your account.

Again, this will all be automated later, but for now this is the system we're using to get the first batch of accounts and what not setup. Hoothoot should have the payment system going in the very near future so we can start to recoup some of the costs here-- we haven't fully fleshed out if there is going to be a free account / premium account setup or what.. By the time we start asking for anyone's money we'll have this fully fleshed out, and have more than just an alpha level test account setup going.

Cheers mates! GOONZB LIVES!

Hoothoot is working like a madman, and we're very excited that this has materialized better than hoped for.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
GOONZB Update:

We've reached a point where manually adding accounts via our E-mail method has become way too much of a slog with all the signups.

So for now, we're not going to be manually adding anymore accounts-- we're going to focus our efforts on getting the account creation + goon authentication system up and running.

We're also very close to having a payment system finalized as well, so that's coming down the pipe.

Thank you everyone who signed up, if your account request wound up sitting for a while, we are REALLY sorry, there were a lot of sign up requests, and we sometimes had requests take a bit-- hence why we are stopping manual account setups and focusing our efforts on automatic w/ goon authentication.

Thanks guys!

GOONZB LIVES!