Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

skipdogg posted:

It's fairly common for some folks to have a small amount of backup block storage. I bought 25 gigs and have yet to use any of it. I'm still using highwinds/easynews since I still have over 300GB in my 'gigbank' with them but the few corrupt things I've ran into blocknews hasn't been able to help with. Had to find a different set of articles which usually isn't hard to do.

I'm using usenetserver on highwinds, and about 60% of the things I've downloaded in the last week are corrupt. despite having a backup blocknews account. I'm starting to become concerned that I have something setup wrong, but over the summer everything worked fine.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

ambushsabre posted:

Can someone explain how to get a backup server working? I set it all up, tested the connection, and ticked the backup button, and yet all of my retry / repairs still fail with the same amount of blocks missing. Unless XS usenet is also a giganews reseller?

I was having a huge problem with them last week, and after I finally got around to upgrading to SABnzbd 0.6 which featured some sort of better/new repair option and it started working a lot better with my backups. If you're stuck on an old version it's something to try I guess :)