Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does the CouchPotato Safari extension work for anyone? I can't get it to install. It asks if I trust it and when I click yes nothing happens. Restarted Safari, rebooted, tried manually placing the extension in the extension folder, and I'm successfully able to install and uninstall other extensions. And when I try to use their Javascript menu bar applet instead, the little popup displays wrong and the dropdown fields and save button are displayed offscreen so I can't actually click on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Violator posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does the CouchPotato Safari extension work for anyone? I can't get it to install. It asks if I trust it and when I click yes nothing happens. Restarted Safari, rebooted, tried manually placing the extension in the extension folder, and I'm successfully able to install and uninstall other extensions. And when I try to use their Javascript menu bar applet instead, the little popup displays wrong and the dropdown fields and save button are displayed offscreen so I can't actually click on anything.

Turns out this is a bug in El Cap Safari where the "Trust" button in the dialog box is broken. If you follow this link:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7254177?tstart=0

You'll get instructions on how to activate the Trust button using accessibility settings with the keyboard and then it'll install fine. The other extensions I use are from the Apple extension galleries and those installed fine for some reason. Hope this helps someone else!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Almost nothing automatically downloads via CouchPotato. I check the indexers everyday and see things available but CouchPotato never downloads them. I'll see things listed at the top of the CouchPotato main page, but it usually says something like "Releases found before ETA" in the log and I have to click on them to download manually. Turning on "Always search" to get results before ETA seems like it would be a world of hurt in getting a bunch of crap. But do people generally turn that on to make things work better?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

It sounds like they would automatically download if you wait until after the official release of the movie? If that's the case you've got to decide if you want automatic downloads ASAP with the risk you're downloading cam releases, or to wait until after the official release.

The problem is it seems like a lot of stuff has missing articles after 6-12 hours, so if I have it wait days (or however long the ETA is) then the downloads will crap out.

I'm guessing it's a two-fold solution: be less paranoid about things being unavailable on release date and supplement my main GigaNews account with something else.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is there a way to have Plex or Couchpotato clean up movies already in my movies folder? About 1/5 of my movies are in folders and the rest are just the files sitting there in the main folder. I want each movie and it's various files to have it's own folder consolidated in the movies folder.

/Movie A (1943)/Movie A (1943).mkv
/Movie B (1945).mkv
/Movie C (1939).mkv

to:

/Movie A (1943)/Movie A (1943).mkv
/Movie B (1945)/Movie B (1945).mkv
/Movie C (1939)/Movie C (1939).mkv

Or would this be something I have to figure out on my own? I could probably come up with some sort of terminal script I guess.

Violator
May 15, 2003

wolrah posted:

Some of those kinds of things can be told to rename existing files, but even if a particular tool can't there's an easy answer.

Dang, you guys posted a bunch of really smart tips and tools. I really appreciate it. I ended up writing a small bash script to do it but I wish I would have checked back here first because using one of these methods would have been quicker and less scary than modifying my entire library via the terminal.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

lol....you asked for some suggestions and then you didnt even check if anyone gave you some suggestions (the first of which was given like a half hour after you asked) before writing your own bespoke solution in bash.

:kiddo: I took it as a challenge and it only took a couple of minutes to figure out since I've written a handful of scripts before.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Megaspel posted:

Finally ate through the last of my newsgroupdirect bandwidth.

Anyone know of any good deals on for decent providers?

What are people typically spending a month for Usenet? I'm paying $19 for an old Giganews account with 50 connection and unlimited access, but I see everyone else with fallback accounts, multiple providers, etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Greatest Living Man posted:

I uh... managed to delete my entire TV collection of 10+ years while setting up manually downloaded season packs from Jackett/Transmission to auto-import into Sonarr. Not really sure how it happened, but it had something to do with messing with the Drone Import settings. Anyway, just make sure you're careful and make snapshots before you gently caress around with stuff.

Really sorry to hear that. I've accidentally deleted some files over the years and know that "oh.. crap" feeling.

Violator
May 15, 2003

sedative posted:

After episode 2 they ran a different special because the response to the 70% off deal was overwhelming. They did end up offering the 70% off deal for one more day, but it looks like they're not doing it again.

I signed up for their current $24 for 6-Months of Unlimited sale and I'm super duper impressed. I'm used to $20 a month for Giganews, so the equivalent of $4 per month is really nice and I've already completed several items that had either previously failed for me on Giganews or are so old that I would have considered them impossible. It's a little slower (8 MBs vs 11 MBs) but that obviously doesn't matter when things are actually working.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I think it was this thread where I was talking with a couple people with Charter (Spectrum) in the midwest and the hilariously slow upload speeds their packages have.

I just called about an upgrade and they now have 300/20 in my area near STL. The best I used to be able to get was 120/5.

Hot dang. Is that a business account? I’ve been thinking about upgrading but just haven’t pulled the trigger. But 3x the speed would be super nice. How much is 300/20 if you don’t mind me asking?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

It's not a business account.

I went from 65/month to 90/month.

Thanks for the info, I'm paying $65 a month. Crazy that for only $25 more you can triple the speed. Is that an intro rate? I always see people complaining but their internet provider, but man I've been pretty happy with Charter for like a decade. My bill has gone up a little bit over the years, but they doubled everyone's speed at no additional charge in like 2014 and service is pretty rock solid.

Violator
May 15, 2003

drat, it was my main too. :(

Violator
May 15, 2003

The real question is how many grabs over nine years?

Violator
May 15, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Surely there's a way to get Dropbox etc to sync something to your NZB server's monitored folder.

This is what I used to do. Not very fancy but it worked well enough if something was time sensitive I had to get something going that moment.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone having issues with incompletes on NewsDemon? I'm running into things like 50 to 99 blocks short on a wide range of different downloads.

Edit: Sab reports it downloads 100% correctly.

Violator fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 23, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

I had to get some niche stuff that I could only find on some file sharing sites like rapidgator. I did a little looking to automate things and there's a huge community around this stuff it seems like. I found a download manager called jdownloader and there's all sorts of functionality and integrations to get around captcha, recaptcha, deconstructing links, etc. I also found out there are services you can join to automate filling out captchas for like $.0008 per captcha so you can queue up a whole bunch of downloads and then it's all handled automatically.

I had no idea. It seems like a poo poo ton of work so you don't have to spend $15 a month for the premium download tier of file sharing sites. Anyone else ever look into this stuff?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ghost Adventures is all messed up, too, production order vs air order or whatever. Not that I watch it. :colbert: I think a lot of Travel Channel stuff is weird.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

As an aside, if that’s the kind of movie stuff you’re looking for then rarelust.com is a pretty good resource.

Wow, a lot of the movies have commentaries as their second audio track.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Volguus posted:

For something new and flashy you can try Giganews. No idea if they're the best, but they surely are the most expensive. Probably flashy too (better be for those $20/month). They'll make you RGB RAM blink while downloading.

I had them for years before I switched to someone cheaper. Expensive and pretty poor working retention. But great website.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is there an automated way to search and be notified for specific search queries? Like CouchPotato is for movies or Sonarr is for TV, I want to be able to automate my searches for random crap that doesn't fit into popular categories and that may not even exist. For example:

"art bell bob lazar mp3"
"pc.gamer november 1998"

It might be old radio shows, it might be old magazines, etc. Just random niche content. I would love to be able to define these search terms, have it search once a day or once a week or something, and then receive a notification via email if it finds something new that fits certain criteria (ie, larger than 1mb, etc.). Then I could go look at it to see if it's worth downloading or if it's crap.

I have a small list of stuff like this that I check every once in a blue moon and it would be nice if it could be automated. It's stuff that might not even exist or would pop up completely randomly if it does so I don't keep an eye on it very much.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I should investigate that because there’s stuff I want that isn’t out there that I feel like just has to be somewhere.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Anyone having speed issues with NewsDemon? Starting this morning my speeds are about 1/20 of normal, but internet speed tests and everything else is working fine.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ah, didn’t think of that.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Just signed up for a $6 block account since I've had several failures recently with newsdemon. Just retried two downloads and thecubenet successfully completed both.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I think the idea is that different providers have different odds of actually having the files so more than one provider increases your chances of things working. The block plans are just more affordable since you’re only using them as a backup to your main provider so you burn through them less.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I need to investigate radarr. I’m still using couchpotato because the last time I messed with my setup radarr was still considered too early for use.

Violator
May 15, 2003

norp posted:

I switched yeas ago because couch potato literally stopped working right at one point and kept downloading random garbage instead of movies.

I decided to install it last night and I'm super happy with it. The UI, additional features, more data, and everything else initially feels like a big upgrade. I never liked how Couch Potato used a slide over for adding a new movie, so this is a huge improvement.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

How long ago was your original try with radarr? It’s been years since I moved over, I can’t even remember a time when it wasn’t an improvement over couch. I like how it and Sonarr match their backend and UIs over major version changes.

Never actually tried it because when I looked it at originally it was so long ago that it wasn't deemed ready for production. Wish I would have switched a long time ago. Over the past few days I've made a lot of changes that have been hugely beneficial. Between adding a cheap backup block account, switching to radarr, and inputting a second indexer I had 27 movies come in this morning that had been sitting in my couch queue for what feels like years.

I might try the sonarr 3 beta I'm so happy with the radarr v3 UI.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

(altho I should just use LunaSea more, but old habits etc).

Just set this up, pretty slick. I’ve wanted something like this for mobile for a while. Nice to have it all in one place.

I wish it was a little more iOS-y but not a huge deal since I’m guessing it originated on Android.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Make sure you do the backup settings option, I took a while setting up all the API keys etc then one day I loaded it up and it was back to default.

Ah good idea, it’d be a pain in the rear end to retype it all. Thanks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

drat.

quote:

Error occurred while executing task MessagingCleanup: database disk image is malformed database disk image is malformed

Radarr 3 running in Docker on Synology. Just switched over to radarr like a week or two ago and already running into issues where I'm going to have to SSH in and do work to restore an old db backup. :(

Edit: Actually, I'm running the Synology package version of radarr. Maybe I'll try switching over to the Docker version since I had success installing tautulli.

Edit2: drat, restoring a db from last week didn’t fix it and still get the same error. Maybe need to just start over with a fresh install. Investigating the docket version.

Violator fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 23, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I just reupped my nzbgeek sub last month but thankfully I used a 1password/Privacy.com virtual card for the first time. Now I can just cancel it immediately.

I need to investigate that, super neat service that I get with that subscription but haven’t actually used.

Violator
May 15, 2003

hogofwar posted:

Looks like I have 2 UsenetExpress blocks and an unlimited UsenetExpress (newsdemon) account now...

Well gently caress, me too. I guess I'll get a blocknews block.

Edit: I must be reading this wrong. Blocknews usually charges $64 for a 1TB block, but theCubeNet was charging $13 for the same thing?

Edit2: Got a blocknews block and now everything that has been failing lately on NewsDemon and thecubenet is working.

Violator fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 2, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

I always feel a little ehhh paying by PayPal but I still do it like a chump because I’ve never dug into crypto.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

What's... what's wrong with using PayPal :ohdear: (aside from the Elon Musk association)? I'll usually use that when it's an option over entering CC info directly. At a minimum I should probably set up an account with that site that lets you create virtual CCs so you can set lifetimes and spending limits for each individual site you use...

Nothing really, just no anonymity.

Violator
May 15, 2003

wolrah posted:

If you know where the NZB came from, look at its file listing on the indexer and see if it has PAR files included. If it doesn't, it's just a bad NZB and you should go look for a different one (possibly for the same post of the same files even) which does list them.

Something I’ve always wondered is how personal are the NZB files? Do they contain any details about the indexer, indexer user account, etc? I’ve always assumed they are basically nameless and generic?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

It also had a built-in reader, which was cool for finding obscure stuff which wouldn't show up in search engines/indexers. It was fun to browse alt.bin.whatever and find a home recording of a radio show or something you'd never come across anyway.

Yeah, I miss that too. Finding old Art Bell radio shows or just weird media from obscure hobbies.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’ve actually had it happen a couple of times recently too, but it’s a small price to pay to not have to check things constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I just run a cron job once a month that dumps a directory listing of the media shares to a text file and emails me a copy.

drat, great idea.

On another topic, I’m surprised there are basically no podcasts I’ve seen listed on any indexers.