Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
My nzb.su account got wacked. SB Claims the following: Authentication error: Your API key for NZB.su is incorrect, check your config.

And my saved password/username doesn't work, nor the email address. Shame! So I assume it's not just you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

tonic posted:

Yes? My understanding was I still have X days (number in my profile) where the API is still active. It doesn't appear to be functioning currently though.

Sure glad I went to the trouble of buying a bitcoin to pay them for a lifetime account back in the day.

I pay for all of my usenet and block accounts with bitcoins now. I only minded getting everything setup with a separate bank account, that was a pain.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Ganondork posted:

Astraweb was really unreliable for me, lots of connection issues. I signed up for a usenet.farm block account, which has been a great replacement. Their retention isn't close to what Astraweb has, but at least the connections are reliable.

I get the worst speeds from them during the day (west coast), it's often like 200-300k/s. At night I'll hit 4-5MB/s though. I imagine it's a 'across the ocean' problem for me though. Not complaining, as their service is pretty cheap and all that.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

SharkRage is the newest fork, I think?

I read about how sickbeard is dead all over the place but my install has been chugging along for ~4 years now and I regularly add new shows. I do not want to go through having to migrate to sonarr when I replace that NAS though :(

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

PitViper posted:

I added a Usenet.farm trial as a backup a week or two ago, and it saved a couple failed downloads that were in the ~500 day range for me yesterday. I'll probably add that into my block backups along with Block news and Tweaknews (which is empty, and I really ought to refill).

I've got them as a primary and love em, speeds could be better though (I haven't sat down and tried to determine if the culprit was my NAS or service).

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

NZBCat gives 500 API calls per day on free accounts? DOGnzb only gives 50 :pwn:

yea, but $5 for lifetime VIP is pretty amazing. This is assuming they stay up for more than 6 months.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

YouTuber posted:

Has anyone tried doing a multi-user setup with Usenet? I'd like to share this with close friends. I could use a FTP setup to handle them download to their box but I'm more worried about feeding NZB into Sabnzbd. Would just using API handle this?

I'm thinking create a docker containing Sabnzbd on a different port from my current setup then symlinking a folder that I can share via FTP. Users upload nzb to Sabnzbd and retrieve it via FTP.

I don't see any issue with this. Sort of like UaaS, goofy but works. I might suggest you run some sort of secure FTP and don't use the default port (many ISPs will get fussy with you for running that).

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone with gigabit want to share their provider and their speeds? I'm only using 10 of my 20 astraweb connections right now so should probably open it all up first, but max I've seen on this new connection is about 12MB/s. Usually only around 6MB/s though.

I've got gbit and just don't care. I use usenet.farm because I like them. On my little risc powered NAS I get ~6MB/s.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

KingKapalone posted:

What's the point of having gigabit then? Don't need the speed for anything else.

For me, it's the same price as cable. I started out at it costing uhh, $65 and I think they bumped it to $69. It's symmetrical. You ever download a game from steam at 80+ MB/s? It's really nice hahah.

And yea, just like lots of other people have said, it's not all about high speed on usenet. Having 10ms ping to game servers and high upload speeds are nice. I don't notice my internet being slow while I'm downloading from usenet either, in fact I harder ever notice even a slight blimp in my internet speeds and I'm quite sensitive to it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Thermopyle posted:

Coincidentally I just heard a rumor that Charter is going to be raising 100mbit packages around here to 300 mbit...and leaving upload at 5mbit. :/

lol, you're not allowed to generate content, only consume it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

porksmash posted:

I'm assuming almost zero ISPs will give you symmetrical bandwidth.

Yep, doesn't it screw with their peering agreements when users start uploading too much content?

Also, please correct me on this but cable networks have been switching to digitial networks in the sense that their analog content (those things that the above poster talked about taking a full 8Mhz of spectrum) have largely been replaced by a multicast streams to the set top box that is then decoded. At least that's how it worked at the ISP I worked at years and years ago.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I've been using usenet.farm for a little over 2 years, I've got 2TB of downloads on a block account and over the course of the 2 years, I've spent roughly $90. That works out to about $3/month, plus the 2TB I have left will last me 5 months. So it's a bit more like $2.50/month. I basically only buy blocks during their sales, so even the block costs are reduced. I would honestly never go back to a monthly subscription at this point.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I tend to just let my wife buy those goofy shows. I figure it's all still cheaper than cable.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Brain Curry posted:

Does anyone have gigabit and max it out? I'm using supernews and it tops out around 25MB/s for me.

I've got gigabit and see roughly 60MB/s from usenet.farm on a fast PC and the max number of connections.

Edit: I saw 74MB/s last night, which is about the best I see from a local steam mirror.

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 18, 2017

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Father Jack posted:

What kind of speed should I expect from Supernews?

I've got a 200Mb connection, but seeing a max of 11MB/88Mb down.

edit: Increasing the number of connections to 30 gets me 18MB/144Mb, good enough to activate the full service and play around some more. Be interested to hear what people with faster connections get though.

Just as an example, on gbit with a 20 core Xeon processor, I bump the number of connections up to the max available. Basically as you up the number of connections you're just attempting to find a bottleneck. Be it your ISP, disk, CPU or whatever. So usenet.farm lets me pump that up to 50 connections and I max out at around 65-75MB/s most of the time. On a little ARM processor I was CPU bound and would cap out at around 5-6MB/s, but I played around extensively with SSL options to get there.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Radarr pisses me off because it doesn't do metadata. That's literally the only reason I have couchpotato still.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

wolrah posted:

Erm, am I missing something here?

I don't use metadata features in Sonarr or Radarr since Kodi and Plex handle it on their own so I don't know if there's some horrible brokeness, but at a glance it looks like there's something useful there.

For curiosity, what is the point of externally scraping the metadata when the good frontends can do it themselves?

PraxxisParadoX posted:

Those don't actually do anything when enabled, https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/issues/121

Yea, so it is an option but it doesn't work. I use local only metadata with kodi. Every other program supports doing this themselves except radarr.

Sickbeard did it, CP does it, Sonarr does it but radarr does not.

Decairn posted:

Does the metadata scrape have to be automated? I used to use tiny media manager for that, I imagine you could put in a script hook to call it direct too in the Radar post-process. Once I moved to Plex and realized it takes care of metadata, I stopped using it though.

I mean, as it stands today I have everything else automated. I looked at something called "filebot" once to solve this but eh.. I'll just keep using CP because it already works and is already doing it.

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 22, 2017

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Incessant Excess posted:

Blocknews has a sale, 500GB for 15 dollars using this link:

https://billing.blocknews.net/signup/cryptosale

Limited to one per account and you can use paypal or a credit card.

They take dogecoin as payments... lol ok, unloading $15 worth of a useless coin. That was an easy decision.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Usenet.farm has 30% off with VAL2018.

Block accounts are 15€ for 500GB normally. They aren’t a reseller (I think).

Usenet.farm is a hybrid. They have their own storage which has (iirc) a short retention of under or around 1 month. After their retention they use one of the large providers (I think giganews?) as a backend.

With that said, I find them to be the best primary account with blocknews being my #2. Between those two I never hit my 3rd provider (astra).

Edit: Also, blocknews is doing a sale: https://billing.blocknews.net/signup/cryptosale

They took doge coins as a payment... I'm just amazed that worked.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Incessant Excess posted:

Is Supernews still a recommended provider? I've been with them for ages and am wondering if there's anything better/cheaper around.

I run block accounts from usenet.farm and average around $2/month (when it's all said and done). It depends on a bunch of things, like how much do you download in a month? Finding block specials is pretty good overall I've found. I also use a few backup block providers that every few years I'll throw a few dollars at. YMMV.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah they lie. They don't enforce the 1tb a user limit, its just there to scare you away as far as I can tell.

I've got 2 users (personal photo/docs backup and Plex Stuff) and no limit. My Plex account is currently at 9.6TB

Until they shut down the account, which they've done to a bunch of people on r/datahorders

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Horse Clocks posted:

Or run watchtower on your docker node and it does it for you.

I’d love some container images that self configure so the only thing you need to set is some environment vars for your newsnabs and newsservers.

Watchtower is awesome and how I do my updates. I launch my stuff from a docker compose file and then have tower auto-update as needed:

code:
time="2018-06-22T22:09:32Z" level=info msg="Found new linuxserver/muximux:latest image (sha256:418e4613deccfd6c5d2678b21d5c7969422b6024c39aaf35223b57052a2b3a7c)" 
time="2018-06-22T22:09:41Z" level=info msg="Found new linuxserver/nzbget:latest image (sha256:85f3c4afe51ffd5e83d6f30f224f982a2df62465131e9bda8915640b13a921a1)" 
time="2018-06-22T22:14:32Z" level=info msg="Found new linuxserver/couchpotato:latest image (sha256:0ff14a3a153a8fc75f4937fecaab80918356d018c255435b717278a96168be9e)" 
time="2018-06-22T22:19:56Z" level=info msg="Found new linuxserver/plex:latest image (sha256:b06a5f36b9538d99ed653685f4113e65b9a0f962d0279a4a7cf7956670052fc8)"

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Slash posted:

I think sonarr/radarr work best if you just leave them running permanently and let it figure out when to grab stuff. It know when shows should become available, and starts searching at appropriate times i believe.

This. The expectation is that it's always on, at least that's the way I understand it's use.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Thermopyle posted:

I don't understand this.

What's wrong with providing multiple backbones in one service?

I mean I see how it'll cause a problem for the MPAA or whatever. I wouldn't want to draw attention to it personally.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I only use blocks now, it's worth taking the time to compare how much data you'll need. My net cost for usenet.farm is roughly $2/month, maybe even a little less. I download roughly 84gigs a month from them.

Edit: I just did the math, I've spent roughly $1.83/month on usenet since 2015 with usenet.farm

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 13, 2019

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New to Usenet. At least since 1994 or so when I posted about paintball.

So is the provider list in the OP still accurate? Any of them better than others? I also have the Xfinity 1TB cap and my idiot kids chew a ton of it up with stupid-rear end Netflix TV shows, so I won't be chugging through 5TB/month or anything.

e: Neat, I found an unlimited "promo" on newshosting for $100 annually, or $8.33/month:
https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?package=92

I assume this is a good deal, considering their standard 50GB tier is $10/month?

Just going to point out here, unless you've got some pretty high download needs you'll likely do better with a block account in terms of cost. 80% of the shows I watch come from usenet and I pay roughly $2/month on average for my block accounts.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
With a docker compose file I can blow away the entire docker directory and relaunch it and within a minute have all of my services up and running. Just use static full paths to all config file dirs/media/etc and boom, as long as the filesystems are mounted just launch it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Incessant Excess posted:

How long does unpacking a download take for you guys? I've noticed that on my setup (Synology DS918+, SABNZBD docker container), the unpacking of a 30gb remux can take 20+ minutes, longer than the download itself. Is that normal?
By unpacking I'm referring to the entire verify, repair, unpack process.

Intel Celeron J3455 Quad-core 1.5 GHz, yeah that's going to be pretty slow to unpack. Downloading only needs to do a yenc -> binary data conversion if there's no par used on a single file. If you have to par the file, then it's going to be whatever software raid par2 uses (XOR's plus uhh, some other stuff) so slow to read all the data it needs to then turn it into a rar file. Personally I run a xeon 10 core processor for my usenet downloader and put the unfinished downloads on a M2 4 channel NVME ssd. Then after unpacking its moved to the spinning disk zfs hosted filesystem. This way I get to use the NVME for the processing and read/write heavy parts but not for the long term storage. Put simply, yes UNRAR is going to be more CPU expensive than YENC (by a long shot), and this is also the 3rd time you're writting this to disk, so it's going to be a memory heavy process as well, which is why I have 128 gigs of ram in that system.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

willroc7 posted:

Thanks for the link. Any thoughts on what 2 blocks would give the best coverage?

I use the following 5:

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 30, 2022

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm going to spare your otherwise pristine rap sheet, but you've been around since 2003 and should know better. Posting a screenshot of the exact filez you're downloading is definitely stepping over the "no filez" line.

I'll remind the thread of the rules in the OP:
Don't talk about the specific contents of specific newsgroups.
Don't talk about things you want to download from Usenet, things you've already downloaded from Usenet, or ask for help with utilizing things you've downloaded from Usenet.
Don't post direct links to NZBs, collections of NZBs, or Newzbin reports of copyrighted material.
Don't post screenshots or logs that haven't been sanitized. Black bars, use them.
Don't request invites to any invite-only sites. (modnote)

Apologies I assed (assumed) the work was public domain, corrections have been applied. Please have a nice day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
The way I handle nzbget paths is to have the `intermediate files.` on a scratch ssd, along with temp files, this way I can keep the IO bound platter drives in my server segregated from the IO the downloads use. I also sort downloads and a few other options that the thread has already discussed