Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

inpheaux posted:

That's sort of what I have.

SABnzbd + Sickbeard runs on my server, XBMC runs on my Zotac set top box, and the Zotac streams content over a gigabit network.

I have this set up as well, though I'm not sure what a Zotac box is. Mine is just a machine I put together a few years ago for an HTPC, booting XBMC off of a compact flash card.

A few people I know run it all on one box by the TV. I prefer to have a dedicated server cranking away in my garage, while a nice quiet machine streams it. Otherwise it's too noisy and I can't put that machine to sleep when I'm not watching anything. Plus having a home server is just too handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

If I was building my setup new right now, for the server I'd put together a somewhat low power machine, and for the XBMC I'd do an Acer Revo. A few friends have the Revos for streaming and they love them. I wish that kind of thing was around when I put together my HTPC, but oh well. With a silent video card supported by XBMC for GPU acceleration and booting off a CF card instead of a HDD, it's pretty drat quiet and low power. It's just so much bigger than a revo.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

If you mapped that UNC path to a drive letter you could probably do it.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Tunga posted:

I'm interested in getting involved in this but it's all totally new to me so I have some extremely basic and/or stupid questions for you guys.

From what I am reading, I have understood that there are different Usenet providers who all run their own servers but they all mirror between each other. So it doesn't matter who's service you use, as long as it is one that keeps the posts around for a while and provides a good service.

The OP says that ISP access is rubbish, is this universally true or just nearly always? Is it worth trying this stuff out on my ISP just to see how it works and whether I actually need to pay a monthly subscription to get a better service? My ISP only throttles upload for heavy users and never download, so that side of things should be fine. Is the issue that they are they likely to just block large sections of Usenet outright? Apparently they outsource it to Usenetserver but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same thing as you'd get from them directly?

I'm a little out of my depth here so I may be talking nonsense, I don't know. I'd just like to try this out and see how it works. Can I do that through my ISP? I'm on Virgin 50Mb cable (UK) if anyone knows about them specifically. Thanks.

Try out your ISPs usenet if you can. My old ISP gave me highwinds usenet, but limited to 600KB/s and 30 day retention. It worked pretty well, since due to Sickbeard I was downloading stuff within 15 min of it being posted anyways. I just had to put up with the slower speed. I kept a blocknews account for stuff outside of their 30 day retention.

If your ISP usenet sucks you could always head over to blocknews.net and get a cheap 5GB block account for $2.75, or usenetnow.net for a 7 day unlimited account for $5.29, just to get an idea of what it's all about and how well it works

Lemons fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 31, 2011

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

WayyyTooMuchIrony posted:

For anyone using chrome or greasemonkey in conjunction with nzbs.org:

better nzbs.org
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/81145

haven't seen it posted here so I thought I would share. It makes things real pretty like.

Thanks for posting this, it's pretty good.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

I've had an annoying problem with sab and plush for a while now, and never bothered to fix it. It's really starting to annoy me though.

For the past I-don't-know-how-many versions of sab, whenever I click the Options button in the top right corner, it displays the options (force disconnect, restart, shutdown, refresh rate), but I can't change any of them. I click on them and they don't respond. I can click the X button to close that, but then I'm left with a black screen and have to put in the sab url again.

Same thing happens for the purge history popup as well.

This is in Chrome on Mac. Safari works fine though.

Any ideas?

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Disgustipated posted:

Working for me on Chrome 17.0.963.56 on OS X. Tried clearing cache?

Clearing the cache doesn't do anything.

It does this on Chrome on my other Windows machine as well, so I don't think it's browser related.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Laserface posted:

god drat it, is there any way to get a status update on nzbs.org? I want to use my account for things and DGAF about this 'refugees' looking for another indexer.

nzbs.org/login

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

haywire posted:

Goddamn, first newzbin, nzbs.org isn't responding and new nzbmatrix is gone. Where do we go now? :smith:

http://nzbs.org/forum

this has all been discussed a lot in the last few pages

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

So is the whole Dutch thing an issue?

Like are there enough reports for English stuff that it won't be an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Been getting a lot of incompletes on Supernews with a Blocknews backup. I haven't even looked at the usenet situation in years, what are the current goon-approved providers?