Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kin posted:

I've just upgraded my TV (50" to a 75" 4K capable one) and was wondering if any of you have a general rule when it comes to resolution and file sizes?

I've actually been sticking to 720p just out of sheer habit, but the bigger screen's making me rethink that given how things look.

The filesize obviously goes up though but I've seen it fluctuate quite a bit when you get into the 1080p+ range (720p generally seems to sit between 1 and 1.5GB). Is there a max file size that you generally set Sonar to aim for on 1080p so that it finds things without downloading a 7GB file for a single episode of something.

Or should i actually be starting to look at even higher resolutions now?

I'm a stickler for quality and I've never had a problem with 1080p webrips on a 65" 4k tv. I would say use the release profiles posted towards the top of this page and set the quality to 1080p.

However, looking through the 4K offerings, I am noticing that they are being released more frequently, and a number of them have HDR. Is there a way to tell Sonarr to download an episode in 4K ONLY if it has "HDR" in the title, and otherwise prefer 1080p?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If anyone else occasionally grabs 4K shows, don't forget to make sure your indexer settings in Sonarr include the indexer's 4K section. It looks like when you add DogNZB to Sonarr, it defaults to only searching SD and HD. Took me a little while to realize why I couldn't find anything.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Laserface posted:

is there any solid way to know what shows are out in 4K and which are not? i set everything to prefer 4K but it never gets anything at all, but I have also had a few instances where Sonarr has grabbed a new copy of something and attempted to overwrite it while I was playing it via plex, which was fun.

I just go off the assumption that if it's a Netflix or Amazon Prime show (maybe Hulu?) then it's probably available in 4K. If it airs on cable, then it's not.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

DogNZB is my favorite indexer, and it's completely usable without paying for it. I haven't paid them a cent since they went to the subscription model and it's my primary indexer (since NZBCat sucks so bad).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone on Sonarr (v3 only perhaps) finding their usenet nzb provider API isn't returning results for a show, but if you do a search on the site by hand it comes up fine? I've seen it every so often in the past, but a few times this week I've added a show with episodes that have aired and done a scan and it's grabbed from torrents instead, despite being further down the chain because it can't see anything. It's weird.

If it's specifically 4K stuff, you probably don't have the 4K category added in Sonarr. Otherwise, maybe you're out of your daily allotted API calls?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kin posted:

I'm not sure if it means anything, but i'm on newsdemon and today i've noticed my speeds are absolutely crippled.

I haven't actually been using it daily but i typically get about 8MB/s downloads while today it's struggling to get above 700KB/s.

I've got a 5G connection and i'm getting normal speeds on everything else (though my plex server is also acting a little sluggish for streaming), but i'm not sure if i'm suddenly getting my traffic throttled (it's been 9 months and no throttling so far) or if something specific is going on with newsdemon.

Just tested and I'm getting a consistent 10.7 MB/s, through newsdemon, which is what I have NZBget throttled to.

edit: is this a conversation about a specific OS setup? The thread moves too slow for me to remember what's going on.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

gabensraum posted:

Can I get a sanity check on this Sonarr enhancement request I put in a while back? I don't mind anyone saying no to my request (it's free and it's their voluntary time and all that) but I suspect the person who closed it may have misunderstood it.
https://github.com/Sonarr/Sonarr/issues/3443

I'm suggesting that the "Upgrades Allowed" checkbox that is already in [Quality Profiles] and [Language Profiles] also be included in [Release Profiles]. I don't know how involved it is technically, but seems a basic request logically and thematically to grow that behaviour for one extra example.

I just want files to stop being upgraded to match a higher-scoring release profile once I've got a file I'm already happy with (without turning monitoring off for individual episodes before it happens). Maybe there's an easier way, if I'm being dumb please let me know.

Can you give a (fake) example of a release you'd be happy with, and a release it would then upgrade to? Are you saying like 1080p Webrip to 1080p AMZN? In that case, couldn't you just weight them the same?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Not really that great when Newsdemon is offering 12 months for $24 for unlimited speed.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What's the best way to test this, to make sure I am not doing the same?

If you haven't explicitly forwarded ports to give Sonarr external access, you're probably fine, but if you type into your browser your external IP address, a colon, and the port Sonarr is listening on (8989 by default), you should be able to see if it's accessible (eg. 123.456.789.123:8989).

edit: do it from an incognito window so you can also test that the username and password are set up

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I did in fact set up port forwarding because I wanted to be able to download TV shows or movies while out of the house. I just tried what you said, and got a pop-up for a username and password. I am hoping that's good enough? Or is there something else I should be enabling in the Sonarr/Radarr/SABNZBDB config settings?

You should be good. Obviously a strong password is a good idea, but it's unlikely anybody is going to brute force your username AND password.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

If you have a CapitalOne card, they support temporary, merchant-specific virtual card numbers. I just locked and deleted the one I used with them.

I believe Bank of America has this too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hbag posted:

my usenet access is via SDF as part of my metaARPA membership
and, no, i do mean SSH tunnel

Are you sure that even supports binaries, and not just reading and posting text?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

It seems like sometimes the 4K remuxes just don't make it to usenet for whatever reason. Maybe they aren't popular enough for anyone to bother with. If a 4K blu-ray exists, chances are there's a remux for it somewhere. It might be worth checking public trackers if you've got a VPN. I've definitely found remuxes there that I couldn't find on usenet.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What do the text files look like? How are they named?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hbag posted:

Well, I have no idea how to fix this. Someone on Reddit said I need to get postprocessing to "Delete+", but it already was, so...

I didn't get a chance to see what the files are, but did you try unpacking the main archive file (either .rar or .part01 usually, or something similar) and seeing if it works?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

It's probably a permissions issue, since you're running on linux. Sonarr probably doesn't have read access to your downloads folder. It'll also need write access for the folder it's moving them to, which is an issue I've even had on Windows.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Did abnzb change their model lately?

SABnzbd is giving me an error when reading the RSS feed and loading the RSS (without any activity in the last 24 hours) instantly gives me a "too much activity/ban" warning.

I assume reading the RSS equals an API call?
Never had the problem before, but it looks like abnzb no longer (?) includes API calls in the free plan - did they previously?

https://usenetreviewz.com/abnzb-review/

This says it went from 100 API calls down to 10. If you can handle only checking it every couple hours, you should still be okay.

edit: that was two months ago though, so who knows if they've reduced it to zero since then

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

I had a show set to 720p in the past, at some point changed it to this quality profile but Sonarr isn't upgrading the existing files:

Anyone know why it doesn't just look for higher quality files or, failing that, how I can manually initiate a search? The "search monitored" button is greyed out, presumably because there already is a (low quality) file for every episode on disk.

You've got the series unmonitored. At least, that's how Sonarr acts when a series is unmonitored.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

norp posted:

I had it running for well over a decade at this point

I believe I reinstalled once in that time to move it into a jail.

That's smart. They can't arrest you for piracy if you're already in jail.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I was looking at that this morning, and it seemed like their episode counts don't even quite match up to what Wikipedia lists.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Alright, I knew NewsDemon was getting bad, but it's straight up useless now, to the point where I can't even get brand new stuff to download. What's the current best deal for pretty much just grabbing recent shows?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thanks, went with Ninja and it seems to be working well, though I discovered that there's apparently a TLS bug in NZBGet which took me a little while to track down and get fixed before I could get Ninja working.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I forgot I even had a Slug account, but man is that free tier awful. Limited to five downloads a day, even if straight from the site (rather than API).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Are those secret indexer people going to enter the thread and say mean words to me if I mention them or what? I’m just lolling irl at thee dumb fight club rules.

I don't even know what the indexers are, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that they both have policies of "if you talk about us publicly, you'll be banned from our fancy club". If you know what they are, but aren't a member there, I can't imagine there's any reason NOT to talk about them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Just stay the hell away from NewsDemon no matter how good their sales are this year.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Their retention is absolute garbage and they are heavily affected by takedowns. They were my only provider for years over the summer I was having completion issues with even brand new shows. Switched over to the Newsgroup Ninja $30 a year plan and everything just works again like it should.

These issues are on top of the fuckery they pulled a couple years ago when a big chunk of people on their cheap plan suddenly lost their plans aren't weren't allowed to get back on them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Taima posted:

For a long time I used my computer for work (I work from home) so my plex and Sonaar and etc was on the box I was using for my daily job.

This week I got the new macbook and decided to make it my work machine, and therefore the machine I use most of my day. My "old" computer will remain online 24/7 for gaming and plex purposes. What is best practice for shuttling nzbs to SABNZB on my old machine? (or whatever, not tied to SAB specifically but I currently use it with Sonaar and my indexers so it would be easier).

I assume there's some random way to queue nzb's remotely? I currently just open a splashtop session and bang it out remotely but splashtop kinda sucks.

Look for an extension for whatever browser you use (eg. nzbget-chrome for Chrome and NZBGet) which integrates with indexers and lets you send an NZB over with one click. If you intend to use this outside your network, you'd have to forward the port SAB uses.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

You can also get historical stats by clicking on the Remaining Time in the top left, then clicking Total Downloaded.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

George RR Fartin posted:

Recently, my tv grabs have been mislabeled - say, the latest season of community where every episode is wrong. Is there something in Sonarr that could be screwing this up? It appears to be every series I've added since updating to the latest Sonarr release.

Edit: I added some providers and indexers around black Friday as well. Could those be screwing things up?

Pick an episode that you know is wrong, find that episode in Sonarr and click on it, click the history tab, and hover over the downloaded icon on the left at the bottom of the list. That should tell you where it grabbed it from.

Now go to that indexer and manually download that same file manually. If the episode doesn't match what the indexer said it was, either stop using that indexer, or lower its priority in Sonarr so it's used less.

If that's not the problem, the Details column of that same History tab will show you where the file downloaded to, and where it was imported to and what it was renamed.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Xaris posted:

Okay I'm kind of at my wits end here. I've got Plex running on my Synology NAS all hooked up with sonarr/radarr/sabnzbg/etc and generally playing content on my LG CX oled. Starting around maybe about 9 months ago a lot of releases have started playing with green-purple hues all over everything (and if I try to watch Plex on my PC, I get "Color Space Not Supported"). I can't tell from Sonarr/Radarrs file listing what exactly is causing it but it appears to be related to Dolby Vision although it's usually not marked in file names. I've had to go through about 10 different downloads to find one that finally worked. I didn't use to have an issue with HDR content so this is really something that's only sprung up recently and no idea why HDR suddenly is loving everything up?

What the gently caress do I need to blacklist from NZBHydra/*arr programs, or is there any way to fix my LG CX/Plex such that DV content plays without it all being colored purple/green? I guess I could force requiring "SDR" in title but even that doesnt meant every listing will have it or not have it; and I kinda liked having HDR working before.

A quick Google search suggests that the CX supports Dolby Vision. Have you turned it on? I think it's off by default on most devices. Also check to see if Plex has any sort of DV settings.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

withoutclass posted:

I've been rocking Newsgroup Ninja for a couple years now and usually pull 95-110MB/s if you're looking at other providers.

Same. I got in on a $30 / year deal a couple years ago. Looks like it jumped to $40 / year last Black Friday, but it's still a decent deal. Regardless, wait a week before making any decisions, as Black Friday is when most providers have the best deals.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I didn't realize Astraweb was even still around. I feel like I haven't heard that name in a decade. Can't remember why I dumped them, but I'm pretty sure they were doing something shady at the time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

wolrah posted:

The new "feature" where videos will start playing in the thumbnail can gently caress with the watch tracker, I have noticed videos I just moused over showing up as partially watched.

It's also a really stupid feature, but fortunately it can be turned off in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

There's not much reason to have Radarr and Lidarr checking more than every six hours or so, considering how infrequently movies and albums get released. Even at the default though, I wouldn't expect to hit 1000 a day unless you're in Radarr manually clicking search on a bunch of individual episodes all the time.