Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If SABNzbd etc runs as nobody, you're going to want it to be able to write to those directories, which will be a problem if everything is chmod'ed to 755 and owned by you. One way to fix this would be to chmod it to 775 and then chgrp it to nobody (or, if you want to get sassy, at nobody and yourself to a new group and then make that the group of the relevant directory structure).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

What's the point of using browser plugins and send-to-SABnzbd buttons on websites? Why not just have SAB watch your browser's download folder for nzb files?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Astraweb is being a pain for me too, and I'm not on Comcast. I'm getting connection refused to ssl-eu, ssl-us, and ssl subdomains.

edit: Looking at it again, either Astraweb turned off port 8081 or my client somehow got the bright idea that it should start connecting to port 8081 out of nowhere. Either way, switching to 443 fixed things up.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 4, 2015

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mcbexx posted:

How's Astraweb these days?

They sent me an offer for a $2.99/mo unlimited plan for life right now (discounted from $15.00). I've been with Frugalnewsnet for years without any problems, but if Astraweb's good and reliable, I might wanna get a backup for that price.

ive been using astraweb with blocknews for backup for years. apparently they're both hw media these days (maybe always?), so that's kind of useless, but i've never had a problem with astraweb. i remember seeing lots of files that were broken due to dmca takedowns a while ago, but i haven't seen that in a while. i have no idea if this is because fewer requests are being generated, they're not honoring them (seems unlikely), or my usage patterns have changed. i strongly suspect the latter, because my usage patterns have indeed changed quite a bit over the past few years

i had always purchased blocks before 'cause it was cheaper that way with my usage patterns, but the $3/mo deal made me upgrade to the unlimited plan. $36/year in perpetuity is pretty dang good.

how's your frugalusenet/usenet.farm experience? i'm in their free trial right now, and if it ends up being useful i'll probably grab a block

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mcbexx posted:

I've been on the annual $50 unlimited plan since 2011 (back then it was $60 I think) and it's super smooth sailing. Never had an issue as far as I remember. Full speed (550Mbit on my end), 3000 days retention, multiple servers... actually really no reason to get a backup, but a "just in case" for $36/year is tempting.

Im super late responding, but thanks for the info! much appreciated