Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Quick question on the cloud backup stuff from the last page: both CrashPlan and Backblaze seem pretty well reviewed, the biggest difference seems to be that CrashPlan can't see mapped/USB drives in Windows. Since the intro packages all specify only backing up from a single machine, my plan would be to put the client on my main and just dump stuff onto USB sticks for everything else. I'm also assuming this all works by pointing the client at a directory and telling it to upload all the contents.

Would Backblaze be the best fit for something relatively simple like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cunning Plan posted:

Crashplan can definitely see USB drives in Windows as backup destinations; I've just restored around a terabyte over my network from another machine running windows/crashplan with a shitload of USB drives hanging off it (took a couple of days, but that's another matter). What you can't do is back up a mapped network drive...

Right that's what I meant, I just confused 'networked' with 'external' because :downs:

But OK then if I can just dump everything onto USB sticks/drives and plug into my main PC to back that data up then CrashPlan could still be the way to go, if that's the de facto GoonTM recommendation.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trying to check out this newfangled usenet thing all the cool kids use, but I'm not sure exactly what I need to do. I got a free account at Xsusenet and I'm trying to configure SABnzbd but so far the server free.xsusenet.com just times out. isitdownorjustme.com says the server is unreachable, is that just a thing that happens sometimes or am I doing something wrong?

Also in terms of general Usenet setup from the OP, my Usenet provider is Xsusenet and my newsreader is SAB, later on do I just add some of the free options from the Usenet Indexer list for Xusenet to use? I'm still not clear on how those 3 things all fit together.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting started setting this stuff up to run in my NAS and let people request stuff to auto-add to Plex, figured I better ask questions now in case there isn't a later.

My understanding is that I would request something through various -arr clients, who query an Indexer. Indexer returns something(?) that gets passed to a downloader like Sabnzb which is configured to the Provider which actually has the files.

Do I want 2 Providers to cover both Giga and Highwinds? Is what I'm able to find more controlled by my Indexers? Can any Indexer talk to any Provider?

I guess my main question is how to combo things together to give the highest chance of finding and completing the widest range of Linux ISO's.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

canyonero posted:

What are you planning to use to "let people request stuff to auto-add to Plex"? I've heard of Ombi, but haven't really had time to try it out yet. Wasn't sure if there were other things out there doing the same thing.

Ombi for the time being. I've been following a tutorial post on the FreeNAS forums that lays out lists of commands to create jails and install and configure common apps like Plex, Son/Rad/Lid-arr, Transmission, Jackett etc. One of them was Ombi so I figured why not, though the current version of Ombi is incompatible with FreeBSD so I ended up just apt-getting it on my Ubuntu desktop.

There's also this from upthread:

Tanbo posted:

For those who want an alternative, or just another request method, there's another released a while ago, Requestrr. https://github.com/darkalfx/requestrr
https://i.imgur.com/zrb5i4j.png

Similar to Ombi, just discord bot based. Can interface with Ombi using users already setup or it's own, or directly with Radarr/Sonarr. It's an easy way to request without opening ports or firing up a VPN.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do providers usually have holiday sales? I went ahead and signed up with Frugal, they were already on the low end of cost and the only other provider I saw that came with both US and NL servers was Astraweb at almost double the cost. Ninja seems to be about average in price, if they knock off 25% or something around Xmas I wouldn't mind picking them up for an EU backbone.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pardot posted:

I've been trying out deemix for a bit, but it seems to just get stuck and stop progressing the queue. Have any of you ran into that and maybe know some settings to change? I tried going down to just 1 concurrent dl, but that didn't seem to change anything.

I've had this happen a few times too, a bit more often than with the former standalone client but that did it every once in a while as well. It's still basically beta software being hacked together from the ashes of the former client, try a different browser? Seems to work fairly consistently for me through Opera. Also this is why I don't queue up a bunch of stuff at once, just 3 or 4 items at a time to make sure they all finish.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Seconded. For those who aren't familiar, Deemix allows you to pull lossless files from the Deezer streaming service using only free tier account. It's pretty incredible.

It is pretty great, but it's also lacking in the quality control department. A lot of things aren't FLAC and some that are are obvious re-encodes from 128 MP3s. Just make sure you run Spek across anything you really care about to make sure it's legit:
https://appuals.com/how-to-determine-the-true-bitrate-of-any-audio-file/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sedative posted:

I think this is the cheapest unlimited deal right now: $25/year https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&couponcode=reddit50

This one is still working too if you don't need unlimited: $15, 500GB/month for 24 months https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=20205002

You can save a few bucks by switching the currency to South African rand: ~$20.80 for unlimited https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=2020112&lang=sa&couponcode=reddit50

Are these still working? It tries to forward me to PayPal but I just sit on a white screen forever :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I haven't run into this yet, but I'm sure it exists. One issue with the process documented in your link is that it doesn't work super well for music that wasn't recorded in the era when capturing 20-20,000hz was the norm. This is most music up until the late 60's and less mainstream music (indie stuff, especially punk) well after that. You probably wouldn't see as music of an extreme cutoff though.

Yeah it can take some interpretation to read the output in a meaningful way. That punk demo that only came out on cassette is going to be cut off at like 14kHz no matter what format it's in. I've found it most useful to verify a 320 MP3 is at least probably legit, if it has a hard 16kHz cutoff that's likely an up-code from a 128.

sedative posted:

Frugal is on sale for $36 a year https://billing.frugalusenet.com/signup/independentsday

You get their 3000 days of highwinds retention, 1 TB a month from usenet.farm, plus a 500 GB block from blocknews (highwinds) in case you need something really old.

Hm my year for $50 isn't looking so hot anymore :mad: I guess the play is to slowly collect sale subscriptions like that so in a few years you're grandfathered in to all the sweet deals at once?

Also, making sure I understand this properly: Since I already have Frugal I should be looking out for a provider from a different backbone like Eweka or Abavia right? Since resellers like Demon and Ninja are all looking at the same source they will have a lot of overlap in content? I think it's also not terrible to have multiple providers in a single backbone because some things that are incomplete on one may be finished up using another, but would it be better to have a thin spread across multiple backbones or build up more coverage on a single one?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sedative posted:

Someone on reddit was in your situation and the owner said to email them and they'll take care of it. Couldn't hurt to try.

:hmmyes: I believe I will try. Good lookin' out homie.

e:
Trip report: dude was totally nice and moved me right over to the $36 plan, extended my current sub to next November and emailed me a coupon for the 500GB BlockNews block. A+ would whine about missing a sale again :homebrew:

Also, still no-go on that NewsDemon URL with the reddit50 coupon. I've tried different browsers, OS's and even opened a VM and turned off all the browser security settings, still just takes me to a blank white page. At this point I think it's just cursed, I'll check back with them on Cyber Monday or something.

e: vvv Pretty sure I tried it both ways, but yeah I'm not too worried about it. I'm not really having any issues finding stuff at the moment, I'll just wait until a different backbone provider goes on sale.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 3, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been camping r/usenetinvites for the last few days with Distill, invites for a lot of the more common semi-privates get thrown out on the reg, and you can even request one if you're in a hurry. So far I've collected Slug, Dog, Simply and Planet, though Planet's free account has 0 APIs so it isn't worth anything in Hydra unless you're going to buy in.

So far the only 'for real' free account that's actually useful has been usenet-crawler, base account has like 1000 API calls a day and it's got pretty good finds, second to Geek I'd say. Are there any other indexers that compliment Geek particularly well, something worth keeping an eye on for holiday sales?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, sorry. Yeah it's a browser plugin that can watch all or part of a webpage and pop up a little notification whenever it changes. I was able to tell it to watch the thread list of that subreddit, so now it tells me whenever someone creates a new thread and I can check to see if its someone offering invites to a place I don't already have. It's pretty nice if you're already touching a computer all day anyway, and let's face it, if you're reading this thread, on these forums, in TYOL 2020, you're a computer toucher :fella:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

Is it just me or is chrome now flagging nzb files as "dangerous"

You probably already know but Google accidentally flipped a switch that flagged all zip files as dangerous and Chrome blocked them for an afternoon. ALL zip files...

Lawen posted:

I’m not sure if it’s because sabnzbd and hydra2 are both running in dockers and have to talk to each other over a docker network but the only way I could get the “send to sabnzbd” option working in hydra manual searches at all, for any indexers, was to enable the proxy option and click through the warning about nzbs.in requiring the “send link” option.
I ended up just disabling nzbs.in as a source for manual searches. It still gets used for sonarr/radarr API searches so it’s not that big of a deal, just a bit annoying.

I was about to say I had this working without any additional config, but now I think I may have just been downloading nzb files and throwing them into a shared directory that sabnzbd monitors. I use jails instead of Docker, but could you do something like that?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm far from an expert, but the Custom Format stuff seems to be a list of preferences, not requirements. i.e. if it only finds a release in h264, it will get that. Later on if a h265 file shows up it will grab that and replace the old one. If you want to hard require/reject certain things you can set that up in Settings > Indexers > Restrictions, though that will apply to all your data not individual files. I had to do this to filter out 3D content.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I recognize Sparks, but I'm sure I've seen the other aliases around, I don't usually pay attention. This is why I never gently caress around with anything recently released, much less during or pre-theater/street date. Just wait 6 months and nobody will give a poo poo :shrug:

In lighter news, for anyone still working on getting Omni or a similar 3rd party request feature working for their Plex setup, junk all that and just set up a list in Radarr. I tried IMDB first but getting the API URL to work was a little hacky and never really worked right, but themovieDB has worked flawlessly. Just make up a smurf account and give the credentials to whatever friends/family you want and show them how to add a movie to the public watchlist your Radarr is looking at, done. I've used it a couple of times myself just because now I can add any film from just a web browser or even my phone, without exposing any of my actual media pipeline to others.

e:

Xaris posted:

I think I'm leaning towards needing another Docker package that can transcode non-H265 content into H265 if that's all it can find from indexers, and I guess ideally that would be some temporary folder inserted between SABNZB downloading it and before Radarr imports it into the /movies folder. I just recently downloaded Unmanic package which is actually really great for an existing library and I'm saving a ton of space on my TV show folder, but it only can monitor 1-library folder and I'm not sure I'm smart enough to integrate it by hand such it inserts after downloading but before importing and make sure Radarr/Sonarr knows to wait until it finishes.. Anyone have anything like this setup?

I don't see why you couldn't as long as you can define a separate location where it moves files after conversion is done. I've never used a conversion program like that, but assuming you can assign a 'watch' folder, a 'converting' folder and a 'completed' folder, would it be something like:
1. converter watches folder /sabnzbd/downloads/completed
2. converts all content to /conversions/h265/completed
3. Sonarr/Radarr/whatever watches /conversions/h265/completed and moves all files to /media/plex/whatever

If you use torrents or something else in addition to sab you may have to set a common 'completed downloads' folder for everything so your conversion app has access to everything incoming.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 30, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Acid Reflux posted:

Yeah, a lot of groups embed their name in the metadata's title field rather than the actual title of the show/movie, and VLC happily slaps that right up on the screen if you have the OSD enabled. Certainly none of my TV shows ever display "EVO" at the beginning of every episode. *cough* If you're in the mood, changing that info to the right stuff in an MKV file can be done easily with the Header Editor function in MKVToolnix. That program is also wonderful for re-re-muxing files to strip out any audio and subtitle tracks you might not want.

Is this why some of my ISOs randomly don't get renamed properly when they display in Plex? Most things are fine, "The ISO", "The ISO 2: The Reckoning" etc. But then every once in a while I'll add one and it will come up "The.ISO.3.-.Electric.Boogaloo.(2018)[ISO_TEAM].iso" and I'll have to go rename it by hand.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

Still active as of yesterday

Still trying to nail down exactly how backbones work in my mind: NewsHosting is on Highwinds, which also gets resold to Frugal, so there's no benefit to having both, right? Aside from redundancy if an entire service were to go down, but that sounds like a pretty slight edge-case. Could even that still be worth it for 20bux a year or is it literally redundant search results?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the heads up, this is one I had been watching out for a sale to get a non-Highwinds non-US source in the mix.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Very rarely a Dog invite will go up on r/usenetinvites, but after finally getting one I discovered that their free invite accounts are actually 10 day trials, after which you have to buy a proper account.

I'm currently rocking Geek, Simply, Slug, Dog (kinda), Cat and Planet. For free accounts and a Sonarr/Radarr setup, Simply only gives like 10 API calls a day which immediately get eaten up by RSS updates, while free Planet accounts don't get any API calls at all. Slug and Cat are both decent free options with 50 and 100 daily API calls respectively. Geek is the only one I've paid for so far, and maybe just because I also have it listed first but 95% of my transfers come in on Geek.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Is anyone running Lidarr with Beets to manage your library? I recently made the switch from iTunes to Beets, and am wondering if there's any surefire way to have it play nice with Lidarr.

I don't use Lidarr (just too many different release versions to try and manage), but I also manually run everything through the Picard MusicBrainz client to true up metadata before dumping into my Plex library, does Beets automate that process? i.e. if I point it at my current music directory can I start blindly throwing folders in there and Beets will tag them up and grab album art and whatnot?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Yes, it does all the legwork for you, and has a boatload of plugins to do pretty much anything imaginable. Being that it's all Python/CLI though there's a bit of a learning curve that took me a few days to clear with some trial and error (of course backup first!). With some scripting you can automate it to your heart's content.

My whole reason to switch from iTunes library management was because I've moved to Plex serving all my music, and Beets does much better organizing/tagging/etc. for Plex to read.

Interesting, I'll check it out. I see from the Getting Started section of their webpage it can be set up to only touch metadata, not copy or move any of the files themselves. I already have a kind of 2-step config for my music library (I set everything up in a local folder that gets rsync'd to the Plex library on the NAS every night), if I can have this just sit there running as a service and keep an eye on the tags in the local copy that should automatically flow up to Plex every day without my having to manually MusicBrainz it first.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yo dawg I heard you like Docker images...

My setup is in FreeNAS / FreeBSD jails, but I've had a rough time getting some things updated (Lidarr and Jackett are the latest two, I think), and it seems that the version of Mono they all use complicates the issue. Though, as I understand, that has more to do with the current version of Mono not being published to the FreeBSD 'app stream' so you have to self-compile and sideload it in to all of your jails. I had thought that one of the benefits of using a Docker image is that all that kind of stuff came 'baked in', but maybe its something similar with some random dependency refusing to update until you blow it away and install fresh?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Former Human posted:

Well that's bad news. NGD did the same thing a while back and immediately became terrible.

Hm bummer. I overextended myself a bit and have Frugal, Demon AND Eweka now, pretty sure I don't need all 3 and that Frugal and Demon are largely redundant to each other. Would be nice if Demon diversified itself and actually acted as a 3rd source/backbone, but I don't know how likely that is, I wasn't around for the NGD thing so I don't know how they changed. Assuming completions just tanked?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Radarr 3 is now the main build as I just updated to it the other day.

I have like a million weird movies I never added to radarr though, I think i imported an IMDB list or something. is there a way to nuke my movie list and start fresh? Theres nothing in there I want to keep.

Looks like Movie Editor from the main Movies page will give you a checkbox list of your library, with an option to both Select All and Delete Selected. I'm not going anywhere near that poo poo, but might help you out.

sedative posted:

Eweka now offers unlimited speed and 50 connections, up from 300mbit and 20 connections.

€35.88/year is the best available deal https://www.eweka.nl/en/landing/special-usenet-deal

Sweet, just went in to SabNZB and bumped my connections from 10 to 30 :woop:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Radarr on FreeBSD question: After upgrading Radarr to v3, it's complaining about my running Mono 5.10, wanting me to upgrade to 5.20. Finding this stuff for FreeBSD is a pain, the standard procedure seems to be spinning up a jail just to build out the Mono package (while spiking your CPU for a few hours) and then distribute the resulting file to any other systems that need it. But the Radarr wiki has (seemingly) straightforward directions on converting your install to use .NET, which they claim is the intended method (looks like a simple folder replace).

Has anyone done this and/or do I need to worry about it, if everything seems to be working fine otherwise?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irritated Goat posted:

Kinda weird issue? I'm sure it's something simple but I've checked everything I can think of. Sonarr is being real sketchy about grabbing anime. I confirmed I've got the Anime category listed in Sonarr's entry for NZBHydra. I've got NZBHydra looking at sites that can handle it. If I do a manual search in Hydra, it finds the header I'm looking for but Sonarr can't find it. Log shows it sees 4 returns but didn't grab any. If I do an interactive search, it doesn't find anything.

I don't know if this is a problem in my own setup, but I've never been able to auto-collect anime episodes. If I add a series and do a manual search, it pulls up completely unrelated shows and episodes. I don't follow that many shows anymore so I just manually download the episodes or season packs and then import them through Sonarr to keep everything uniform.

e:

Slash posted:

One of the HDD's in my NAS is starting to fail, and it's probably time to start upgrading them to larger ones anyway. Are WD Red still the best option? and the price sweetspot seems to be around 4TB or 6TB? Also what's the deal with this SMR technology, do i need to specifically avoid it?

rufius posted:

While there are probably a number of folks overlapping, the NAS thread is probably better suited to answer your question: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=644

Very +1 cross post to the NAS thread, they get those exact questions all the time. In short, WD Reds are still quality drives, but you absolutely DO need to avoid SMR for a NAS application. WD hosed up by using SMR in their Red line, which was specifically marketed for NAS. They've since relaunched non-SMR Reds as Red Pro or some poo poo, selling the same drives as before but at a markup because this time they really are for NAS we promise :rolleyes:

A good general sweetspot calculation for price is $15/TB, if you can get close to that you should buy. If you do go WD Reds at those sizes, look up what serial numbers are SMR vs non-SMR, they were using it in the smaller drives, but I don't believe it was ever put in place on drives 8TB or larger.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 29, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was posted on their Reddit page about a month ago:

r/radarr posted:

Today we announced the first stable release of Radarr V3 for all platforms. With this release comes some major changes frontend and back (Available on Github).

So far my big complaints with v3 are that 1) I had to zoom out on the manual search results page in order to see all the columns on the right, and 2) it fucks around with the way lists work, so that I had to go in and check an additional box to have it read the list, add the title, monitor the title AAAAAND search for it when its added. That last one wasn't ticked so things were getting added but not grabbed. Other than that it's just the general pain of having all the menus moved around from what I'm used to, but it seems to work fine still.

Unrelated, is there a Plex-like app for books and comics? Something I can point to a folder full of PDFs and CBRs and have some kind of web portal to view them, have some way to organize them, remember where I am in each file etc?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Noice, thanks. I remember looking up Ubooquity a while ago but couldn't remember the name. Turns out it's one of the pre-configured software options in DietPi, which I already have running for PiHole. I may experiment with trying to share my /books/ directory from my NAS to DietPi and serve things up that way, and experiment with getting CalibreWeb running in a FreeNAS jail if that's too slow.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I camped r/usenetinvies for a few months last year and it seems like you can pretty regularly get invites for Dog, Cat, Slug, Simply and Planet indexers. Most of those will be either trial or 'free' accounts that have restricted grabs and API calls, but may still be worth doing if you just want to check out a provider before laying down cold hard bitcoins.

I just checked my Geek access through Hydra2, it checked out fine, is the API URL the same and I still need to log in to the new site and 'recover' my account? Oh just checked my own email, sounds like once you sign in to the new site it rolls your API key to the new system?

e:
Yeah just went through it, old API works until you log in, then get your new API 👍

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 27, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No worries, this thread is usually pretty slow so it's not like you're interrupting. If the ~other methods~ being danced around are just torrenting, I haven't had a DMCA email since I got a VPN subscription. With that it's relatively easy to set up a network kill switch for your torrent client so it will only connect through your tunnel.

I have Jackett configured with a few dozen public trackers as a fallback for Usenet, I'd say maybe 20 or 30% of my stuff comes in that way. I'm running Transmission and OpenVPN in a FreeNAS jail (so FreeBSD, but any *nix-like would be similar) with some firewall rules to block all non-tunnel traffic.

Seems to be working fine for a good few months now, so if you just want to be able to torrent in peace that's another option. I use AirVPN and haven't had any issues, but there are tons of options.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

alexandriao posted:

Yeah, well like I said I have a VPN, it's just setting it up so it ignores non-torrent traffic, and correctly inserts itself between torrent traffic, has been frustrating so far. I can torrent at home fine without a DMCA because of luck, but my upload rates are so slow I need to do it on the server if I don't want to tank the speed of every connection in the house for a few hours/days while everything uploads.

It's probably possible to have a VPN connection specific to certain types of traffic, but that kind of thing is way over my networking head. If having your regular PC sit on the VPN is an issue I'd say get a little crappy laptop, maybe hand a cheap external HD off of it for temp storage, and let it sit in the corner being a VPN mule.

In Windows you can set up a Windows Firewall rule to restrict specific applications (like your torrent client) to particular types of connections i.e. Home or Public. A VPN connection usually gets classified as Public while your regular LAN is most likely listed as a Home connection, so by restricting that app to Public only it will only transmit data while you're on the VPN connection, and stop if that connection drops and the PC falls back to its regular modem comms.

In Linux you can do the same kind of thing with stuff like IPTables, but this is what worked for me in Transmission's IP FireWall rules:

Create your Firewall rules using your favorite editor at /<installpath>/transmission/ipfw_rules

code:
# Flush any existing rules
-q -f flush

# Allow loopback
-q add 00001 allow all from any to any via lo0

# Allow VPN
-q add 00010 allow all from any to any via tun0

# Allow to/from Transmission
-q add 00101 allow all from me to 192.168.0.0/24
-q add 00102 allow all from 192.168.0.0/24 to me

# Deny non-local non-VPN
-q add 00105 allow all from any to any 443 out via epair0b
-q add 00106 deny all from any to any out via epair0b

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

You could also just use a container that has a torrent client combined with a VPN client that are pre-configured to work together. That allows you to leave your host OS networking alone.

Ah also good point, if you don't want your host to have to be on the VPN, virtualization is another option and probably a better one in this day and age than trying to pick up another physical machine.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

I always feel a little ehhh paying by PayPal but I still do it like a chump because I’ve never dug into crypto.

What's... what's wrong with using PayPal :ohdear: (aside from the Elon Musk association)? I'll usually use that when it's an option over entering CC info directly. At a minimum I should probably set up an account with that site that lets you create virtual CCs so you can set lifetimes and spending limits for each individual site you use...

norp posted:

Did all the NAS appliances move away from FreeBSD ports as their source for the Usenet tooling?

It feels like forever since I've seen an update for radarr sonarr etc, and I'm starting to wonder if I need to bite the bullet and upgrade my server to Linux
It used to be that there were a bunch of FreeBSD based NAS devices that meant these ports were kept up to date, but it seems that .net core 3+ isn't really gonna happen on FreeBSD that it means it might be the end of the line for me keeping with it.

I have a few options

1. Leave my server as FreeBSD, upgrade ram a bit and move everything into Linux virtual machines
2. Rebuild the machine, set up ZoL to take over the ZFS arrays and use docker for everything
3. Take over the updating the ports in the FreeBSD package system (ha!! Good luck getting that to work with my tiny family)

I'm torn because I've spent so long keeping with FreeBSD and don't really want to spend days rebuilding everything if I don't have so it'd be nice to know if this is just a blip or if I really need to get off my rear end and spend the time instead of waiting.

I'm also running everything in FreeNAS jails and I've gotten updates on Radarr/Sonarr fairly recently, within a month or so. I did see the note about them starting to move towards .NET Core and even tried to get that version running in one of my jails but as you say getting that going in FreeBSD is a bit of an adventure. But as far as I knew there were no plans to stop providing a version that would run on FreeBSD (mono?), just that the 'real' or main versions would use .NET Core.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

norp posted:

Well the V3 builds still aren't in the ports tree and radarr/sonarr ports haven't been updated since last year

My Sonarr is 2.0.0.5344 from last March, but Radarr is 3.0.2.4552 from the Feb 5th. I don't remember doing anything different to get Radarr v3, just updated through the GUI as normal...

This is on the reddit page as of a month ago:

r/radarr posted:

If you've been on develop, and waiting to jump back to master, now is the time. Don't wait, it won't be that way for long.

Master is a stable branch. Anything else is not.

Known Issues: Discover is not functional on systems with SqlLite versions OLDER than 3.9. Discover "lists" work, but discovering movies does not. To get around this, turn off movie discovery, or upgrade your sqlite.

The release we're talking about is v3.0.2.4552. It can be found here: https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/tree/v3.0.2.4552

FCKGW posted:

As stated previously some people may feel uneasy about using a payment method that has details about your name and address on what is basically a piracy machine website.

As for the second part, I used a privacy.com virtual credit card to buy VIP on nzbgeek about a month before they disclosed that they were hacked and holy hell I dodged a bullet with that one.

Fair enough. Everything I do is through SSL or VPN so I'm not too worried about Uncle Sam cracking down on my totally safe and legal Linux ISOs :patriot: Still need to sit down some time and work up a privacy.com account, at least then only one random website has my CC info rather than a dozen.

more falafel please posted:

Usenet is going to your cousin's place to buy drugs from him, public torrent trackers are standing on a street corner yelling I WOULD LIKE TO BUY DRUGS

Torrenting is like yelling I HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF DRUGS I CAN INFINITELY DUPLICATE BUT I NEED SOME SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT DRUGS TO GO WITH THEM, SOMEONE PLEASE INFINITELY DUPLICATE SOME OF THOSE FOR ME WHILE I SERVE OUT INFINITE DRUGS actually that sounds badass :2bong:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

norp posted:

Clearly whatever you are using isn't using the ports tree to source updates

Oh yeah I didn't install them from the *BSD packages. Even when the jails were created I ran a fetch command to grab the install files from either GitHub or the apps own hosting. My Sonarr was:
fetch http://download.sonarr.tv/v2/master/mono/NzbDrone.master.tar.gz

and Radarr was:
fetch https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/releases/download/v0.2.0.995/Radarr.develop.0.2.0.995.linux.tar.gz

Once they're installed do you not see an option to update them further in the System > Updates menu?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

And if you use torrent for anything there's an equivalent app called Jackett where you can load in a bunch of indexers and then point Rad/Sonarr to Jackett and have it search them all.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slash posted:

I think that’s due to the usage patterns and heritage of the two platforms. Most people use Usenet with automated tools, whereas torrents tend to be more of a manual search process.

Also since torrenting is peer-based, things that are new and/or popular will have higher availability since more people are trading pieces around, while usenet (in my mind at least) is more like an old school FTP server where a file just sits there and waits to be requested upon. I'm sure that's a gross oversimplification but it makes sense to me :saddowns:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's when collusion kicks in and they all delete different pieces of the file from their servers so they can say that you can't get a complete version from their service, but can get the missing pieces from any other provider, which come to think of it is like really inefficient torrenting :pseudo:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had v3 running in a jail for a while now, but I couldn't hack .NET into FreeBSD so it's still using Mono. It complains about using Mono 5.10 but everything seems to work fine. But your link is talking about a (more) current release of .NET for xBSD which is something future versions of Radarr will use exclusively IIRC, so it's still good that some progress is being made there.

The devs claimed that since Radarr was being built for .NET that it would perform better using that, have you noticed any differences since switching over?

e:
I do enjoy the 'official' instructions at the beginning of the README:
code:
for best results: read
for an interesting time: YOLO
Ah that old Linux-like curse: "May you live in interesting times." :v:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Also need to tweak my directory/mountpoint layout so it doesn't have to do a copy and can simply do a fast move.

All my media stuff comes in to the same NAS blob of drives, so I just have my Downloads folder and my Media folder mounted to Sonarr and Radarr, when something completes in the Downloads side the apps automatically move it to /movies/moviename or whatever. Can get a little more complex with torrents if you want to leave the files in place for a bit to seed, but for Usenet that should be all you need.