Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I have a general question about Usenet, which I'm sure is pretty drat idiotic, but I'll ask it anyway.

A lot of downloads are indexed as "longassfilenameexample (1/72).nzb" or something similar and when you download it, it's an .rar with only a piece of what you actually wanted to download inside. Why is this, and how are you supposed to download the whole thing without using 72 .nzb files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Uh, nzb.su

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Is there a logical reason why SABnzb is disinclined to download more than one thing at once? If I have two downloads going, it ignores the second one to be added until it's finished the first. If I set them both to "force" it does them both at once, but it still prioritises whichever was added first. I've looked though the config options, but I can't see what might be causing this, or how to fix it.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

inpheaux posted:

Yep. With Usenet, you're not just downloading "a thing" you're downloading thousands of articles comprising that thing, and are downloading one article at a time for however many connections you have. The end result should be that you're downloading at your full linespeed. So if you downloaded two things simultaneously you wouldn't get EITHER of them any faster, you'd only have the effect of halving your downstream.
Ah okay. Well, surprisingly, this makes perfect sense. I thought the number of connections offered referred to how many things you could have downloading at once, not how many connections you're making at any given moment to download one thing, so more connections is faster to the same extent that your connection is. Makes me feel stupid for going with Supernews as a cheaper reseller with their 30 connections over Giganews with their 50. Sorry, I'm new to this. But it's kicking rear end so far! I'm getting stuff at a pretty much steady 10Mbps, which is, like, ludicrous for Australia, even though I'm on a (theoretical) 30/2 fibre connection.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 12, 2011

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

dj_pain posted:

Telstra cable ? I was able to push it to 19Mbps once.
Yeah Telstra, in Brisbane. I actually have two home net connections (don't ask); ADSL2+ with TPG is the other, and I get the same speeds on both, which doesn't exactly make Telstra look good, but w/e I'll ditch them when the NBN rolls out in my area hopefully late next year.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 13, 2011

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Is it normal for automatic unpacking of big files (say 10GB) to choke the poo poo out of your system? I'm running an i5 2500 with 4GB of PC10600 and my system is just totally unusable while a big file is being extracted after download, even though nothing else of any note is going on. If I was extracting a .rar of the same size manually, I wouldn't notice any slowdown.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Has SABconnect++ stopped one-click download support for nzb.su or something? A couple of weeks ago the site stopped sending .nzb files directly to SABNZBD, and all the little download arrows are greyed out. Everything still works except for this, I just have to download the files and open them and SABconnect++ will still tell me what SABNZBD is doing, but I can't seem to send .nzb files straight from the nzb.su to SABNZBD anymore.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I guess I was just purged.

I was going to sign up for VIP, but every time I tried to it told me it wasn't working yet or something.

:/

I was just purged too, except I did have VIP. I had it for a year, and it only ran out a couple of weeks ago. They said they weren't going to purge users who had bought VIP in the past but just didn't happen to have it right now :<

edit: I sent root@nzb.su an email. Hoping I hear back. This is pretty irritating, because I was just thinking "I think I'll renew my VIP sub at nzb.su, since indexers must be having a lovely time of it right now" and go to do exactly that and find myself deleted.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I was just purged too, except I did have VIP. I had it for a year, and it only ran out a couple of weeks ago. They said they weren't going to purge users who had bought VIP in the past but just didn't happen to have it right now :<

edit: I sent root@nzb.su an email. Hoping I hear back. This is pretty irritating, because I was just thinking "I think I'll renew my VIP sub at nzb.su, since indexers must be having a lovely time of it right now" and go to do exactly that and find myself deleted.
So turns out they are responding to emails.

I got an email back from Steve at nzb.su He can't tell me why I was deleted, but says that if my account wasn't either totally inactive, or super-duper-excessively used (I was the very model of a moderate downloader), and I had once paid for VIP, no way I should have been purged. It's a bummer, but he seems pretty chill and willing to help. Maybe worth an email if you're in a similar spot.