Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

nValid posted:

I used Giganews and Newsbin in the past and just 2 weeks ago signed up for a new Giganews account. I was sold on the VyprVPN and not having my ISP see what I'm downloading. Worth the $35 a month to me...

I may be wrong about this, but doesn't an SSL connection to the server already provide this service? Your ISP can see you are connected to a news server but if they can also see what you're downloading then I'm not sure what the point of SSL is. Or are you using the VPN just for general internet use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005
Well, I just found out Cox is instituting data caps in my area. They are soft as of now but it's only a matter of time before they start charging overages. With my household's use of Netflix, Hulu and Steam we are going to have a hard time keeping under the cap without even considering Usenet. It was fun while it lasted. The only ISP in the area now without caps is really slow DSL. I've cancelled my unlimited account and will just slowly eat away at my block account.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

Nask26 posted:

Where are you located? How low is the cap? I have Cox as well in Phoenix.

San Diego, the cap is 200gb. It's not that bad compared to a lot of places but still low for our use.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

Straker posted:

Are you low on drive space or something? Why would Netflix and Hulu take precedence when you could get everything you want from usenet right now before caps go into effect? :)

It should only take ~1GB per month per show if said show is a half hour long (if it were on TV, at least) and airs once per week. Really not too demanding to just keep up with shows you already have, and better than downloading them over and over from Hulu which is basically what you'd be doing if you watched anything more than once...

I don't want to get into details, but Usenet takes the lowest priority as far as bandwidth is concerned in my household. I have several other people here in the house who use Netflix/Hulu/whatever and I haven't and wouldn't try to convince them that a comprehensive Usenet solution would be better for everyone. Perhaps my decision to yield to their media consumption desires is uneconomical but it satisfies the needs of everyone in the least confrontational manner. Not to mention we have bandwidth needs that exist outside media streaming.

Aside from that, I was merely expressing my disappointment with the upcoming cap system. Speed limits on connections I can understand, but data caps I don't. It simply looks like Cox's (and tons of other ISPs) attempt to gouge customers. Is there any reason why ISPs limit monthly data consumption other than to suck up more money and protect their dying media distribution models? I would really like someone to enlighten me on that if there is an actual reason.