Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

simonmoon posted:

So, I've been looking at backup solutions for a bit, and the combination of all those passworded rar sets uploaded by spammers and the Wikileaks insurance file have made curious about the feasibility of heavily encrypting important personal files, uploading them to some random group, and just keeping an offsite copy of the AES256 key with the NZB.

Is this stupid? What group would you suggest I use?

Go have a look at the SHSC SpiderOak thread; the free 6Gb should be enough for 'important personal files'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Is Headphones deliberately omitted from the OP? I started using it a few days ago and it's been an absolute dream. Took a $10 donation to get an account for rembo10's musicbrainz mirror, but well worth the money.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Obviously Erratic posted:

What exactly does the donation get you that simply using the standard MusicBrainz mirror doesn't?

Many more API hits I believe, but personally I just couldn't get the default mirror to work. Happy to donate to something that saves so much time though.

On that point: is there any way to donate :10bux: to nzbs.org, or do they avoid that for legal reasons?

Wheelchair: add "german, french, italian, dutch, russian" etc to the "ignore words" field in general settings.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

hayden. posted:

I don't know, what benefit do they get from spending so much time uploading content on Usenet?

Download bandwidth on the topsites they upload to, but that's an ancillary benefit - it's mainly just to earn respect with their peers.

The groups all do have a web presence, it's just a private web presence.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Sav posted:

drat, missed out on all the openings, if anyone has any invites please PM me, will reward with paypal. Much appreciated.

Goddamn you are stupid.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

inpheaux posted:

They do have massive data centers, but they don't have to take any responsibility for what gets posted thanks to the DMCA. So long as your Internet service isn't used exclusively for illegal activities, you don't encourage or advertise illegal use, and you comply with DMCA takedowns when they're issued, you're essentially untouchable.

For all the poo poo it gets, the DMCA is spectacularly better than what could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

K.O. posted:

The whole thing, just feels like, extortion. This, coupled with the automated DMCA notices and companies filling DMCA's for things that they don't actually own just seems like a large scale criminal bullying. We the little people must revolt.

How dare they try to stop you pirating whatever the hell you like.