Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

goldchains posted:

Sickbeard question. I dump all my files into a single folder. How do I keep Sickbeard from creating new folders for every show?

How it works now, manually find something to download, add to sabnzbd watched folder, folder for that item created under D drive.

But with sickbeard it wants to create subfolders for everything.

I too dump all my shows to one folder. Create a folder somewhere out of the way and make a folder for each show in that. It keeps Sickbeard happy and doesn't take up any space. SABnzbd handles the processing and puts it in the TV category folder after that. I don't have Sickbeard handle anything after passing the NZB to SABnzbd, I don't archive anything, I just watch and delete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

zalmoxes posted:

Is there something I can do to get less "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks (1785 short) " type of downloads?

I've been using private trackers for a long time and I signed up for supernews today and half the time I either get rars with spam or this error. Is it always a hit or miss or can I do something to filter things out?

Are you finding files using nzbs.org or some other site? How old are the posts? Supernews has good retention but that's what I usually see when something has just been posted or is really old and not all the posts are within retention anymore.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

smackfu posted:

In the Plush skin in SABNZBD, there are a bunch of icons for stuff in the processed items list. Some of them are lit up and have hover info, but others are grey and just show a "?". Looks like a book and a star, the first two. Any idea what those are?

(Maybe showing something other than "?" for the mouseover would be better?)

The star is an informational URL that is sometimes encoded. A link to an IMDB page or TV shows website, usually TVRage. They should all mouseover and have something displayed though. Like this:

Is the other one one of these?

Left to right they're URL, Download size, download time/average speed, quick check/repair status, Unpack status/time. The only other icon I've come across in my current list of 1200 downloads is one for unpacking failed.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I regularly download at ~8MB/s using Supernews + Charter Communications 60/5 package in midwest, USA.

I'm thinking about downgrading my package, though. I'm almost never sitting around waiting for something to download. With CouchPotato and Sickbeard, things are just there ready to be watched in XBMC when I sit down to watch TV.

I have 22Mbps down, I always max it out. They offer 55Mbps service, I thought about trying it out, but Usenet is the only thing that'll ever max it out. Nothing streams at that high a bitrate, Steam doesn't hit the cap unless you download in a dead period between sales, even normal HTTP downloads of software and such don't always hit it. No reason to go any higher for me.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I use a combo of nzbs.org, NZB Matrix, and NZB.su. They all have slightly different results. I usually rotate through them in that order when looking for stuff. The fact there are so many is great, the fall of Newzbin was rather healthy for Usenet as a whole I think. Everyone else got traffic and they all got a little better.

NZB Matrix is worth the :10bux: I think. NZB.su is worth checking out too, they index a few things none of the other ones do, and organize things better for some stuff also.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

bobdigi posted:

I have the 25mb package from Cox and the limit is 250gb up and down combined. Check this site to find out.
http://www.cox.com/policy/limitations.asp

They have had caps listed like that for over 2 years. Never gotten a word from them about it.

I'm also in Arizona.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Haven't had any Supernews issues today. (Cox/Phoenix)

----

I've got a strange issue with Sickbeard. I had a show that had it's 4th season premiere this week, but SB only showed 3 seasons. I tried several times to force the update, but it wouldn't get anything new. TVrage and thetvdb both show the season and episode.

The strange part is if I deleted the show, then re-added it, it pulled all the new info. So it's not my connection to the DB listing doesn't work, it's like it's refusing to update some existing shows. Not everything, I only had issues with two series that I can tell so far. Deleting and re-adding fixed it in both cases.

Anyone seen anything like this before? It's not a super huge deal, but I don't want to have to re-add 50+ shows to make sure they're all actually updating.

E: Using the 488 alpha build. The newest one that's compiled.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Nask26 posted:

So I noticed my speeds have been very low for me about half what they should be. I changed my port from 563 to 443 and now its great. Is cox in AZ throttling 563 now? What should I do if they start throttling 443 also? vpn? I'm not a heavy user at all and I've never had issues with them before.

Hmm. Also with Cox AZ. I was using 443, switched over to 563 to test. No issues so far. Running at my usual steady 2.9MB/s. What provider are you with?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Posts Only Secrets posted:

I just added the $6.99 deal to my existing account without any problems. Logged in, then used the purchase additional bandwidth selector on the right side.

Same here. I've only used 34GB of the 200 I had, but it's a good price to add a bit on. Most of that was used when I had a billing issue with supernews for a weekend.

I had a connection issue with Supernews on Tuesday it seems, since the blocknews servers pulled 1.5TB. That's why backup servers are nice, I never noticed the downtime until I checked the logs just now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

devmd01 posted:

People still download poo poo in sd? :psyduck:

The recent hard drive supply issues with the Thailand flooding notwithstanding, storage space is incredibly cheap, and drat near anything (computers, boxee, wdtv, etc) will play 720p+ h.264 mkvs. I really don't understand why SD versions of releases still exist.

If you've got an ISP that has harsh bandwidth limitations I can see wanting to get some stuff in SD and just get select things in HD.

When I had 1Mbit cable I usually got sitcoms and daily news stuff in SD and got the latest episode of a Sci Fi series in HD to enjoy the special effects. Now that I have 25Mbit cable and more than enough quota it's all HD.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

jarito posted:

2. Just upgraded to 50 MBits from Time Warner, but my download from Supernews seems to never get higher than 1.6/1.7 MBytes. I don't expect to get the full 6.25, but speedtest shows me running at 50. Should I get a different news provider? If so, which one?

Also running Supernews. I have 27Mbit service from Cox in AZ. I usually get 2.8 to 3.0 MBytes per second.

Do you have SSL turned on?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

3.5MB is pretty drat good, geez you spoiled people.

It's also the matter of getting what we're paying for from our ISPs. If I was paying for 50Mbit and only getting 13Mbit service, I'd be complaining too.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

Reminder: You are on home connections paying less than $50 (assumedly) per month. If you want dedicated 50Mb then get ready to pay for it.

I pay $65 a month for 27Mbit and the 55 Mbit package is $95. Which is probably the reason I get what I pay for in my case. It's not oversold and under-provisioned in my particular area.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

neongrey posted:

Just re-quoting this because seriously I have no idea what to do at all and it's pretty much making sickbeard unusable.

Have you tried uninstalled SB entirely and reinstalling it fresh? Deleting all its directories and config files and such?

You should be able to do a "Add Existing Shows" on a virgin install and point it to your new folder with minimal trouble then. I went from Windows to a Linux install and went that route, I just pointed it at the directory with all my folders and it only took about 15 minutes to get it all back to where I had it before. No config files or anything at all brought over.

As long as you have the folders for the shows where you want them most of the work in setting it up again is already done.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

LaserWash posted:

Hmmm... Pulled my supernews on a 10 mb cable connection down from 30 to 6 connections... No difference in download speed (unless I need to restart). Max appears to be 1.3 mb/s.

10 Megabits per second is 1.25 Megabytes per second. So you're maxing it out just fine.

Internet service is always advertised in megabits (Mb, big M little b) and SABnzbd displays your download speed in megabytes (MB, big M big B). Google calculator can do the math to covert the two numbers for you.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, if you think that's impressive, wait until you get it working in tandem with Sickbeard. It's mind blowing.

Add XBMC in there and it's even better. Pop up notice on my tv when I get a new show., and it updates the library automatically.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

LaserWash posted:

Horseshit!

My cable provider wants to start capping usage. They start charging next month if I go over 150 gb in a month. I used 132 gb last WEEK. We use sickbeard and a lot of usenet. Sue me, Wait, don't.

What should I do if I live in an area with them as basically my only option (dsl sucks)?

Do they offer the option to switch to some sort of "Business" package? I know some companies have one that, while costing more, is unlimited/much higher allowance.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Was gonna post this same thing. What's the CPU? There's a reason I have my NAS that runs SickBeard and SABznbd on a seperate machine from my XBMC machine (though even XBMC lags when Sickbeard updates the library, the price I pay for a 20 watt HTPC).

I have a 40 watt HTPC and I have no lagging issues at all.It's a (true) dual core 1.6GHz Atom CPU with an nVidia ION GPU though, it offloads everything to the GPU so it sits there most of the time at about 5% use on either core while watching blu-ray rips.

I have my incomplete on a 2.5HDD and my complete folders on an USB External 2TB drive. It's smooth through the notifications of it starting to download something and when it's complete. I'm surprised at how smooth everything works considering how modest the specs are.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Hogburto posted:

Are some of you guys handling SAB's parity and decompressing on spindle-based laptop drives?

Yep. It takes longer than on another drive, but I don't mind the wait. 90% of what I download is though Sickbeard anyways, so I'm rarely sitting there waiting for stuff to decompress and repair.

My HTPC is an ASRock ION 330. Starting to get older, but still a bit more muscle than your average nettop of its day. I got it because even when running parity it uses a whopping 40 watts. Much more affordable to leave on all day than my desktop. My GPU alone uses more than that when idle. (Actually, I did the math using my KillAWatt meter. It was cheaper to buy another small PC than to leave my desktop on for a year.)

I just redid it, moving from XP to a XBMC Live install. All slick now with a customized interface.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

dj_pain posted:

look what showed up in my email

I got once of those too. Considering I've never touched the site since the original one went down, they're just spamming everyone it seems.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot anyone still downloads SD.

I get a few air-by-date shows in SD still due to the HD release being very sporadic. I have it set to grab whatever comes out first.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Check out NZBMatrix too. It's come through for some stuff that others haven't quite often. I've found the VIP $10 worth it in my case. Interface isn't anything to write home about, but it works. I usually sign up for most of the indexers I come across, at least a free account. Helps in case of site outages or closures as is the case with nzbs.org.

I'll probably toss $10 over to DogNZB also since it seems to have a pretty well polished front end and developer who is active in improving and tweaking the site.

And definitely get the browser extension. Makes things much smoother for every site that doesn't get a little "Send to SAB" button. As soon as you download a .nzb file it sends it over to SABnzbd as fast as if there were one.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Your BD-Rip downloads should be pulling huge 20-40GB uncompressed rips. 720p and 1080p HD Movies are x264 video in a MKV wrapper usually. "scene standards" and all that. Anywhere from 4-12GB depending on the specifics. Usually 8ish gigs for 1080p films in my experience.

Fake edit: I think I found some of these files, at NZBMatrix there is a BRRIP category, that has all these really tiny xvid and x264 files. Some of them are 720p. Like feature length videos from 800MB to 2GB. That's really low quality. Might be where the confusion is coming from. It looks like it's BluRay as a source, but not the proper quality.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Lone_Strider posted:

On the beta site, go into your profile and set the template to 'classic'.

Thanks for this! Didn't even know they had a classic one. Back to normal! I also tossed :10bux: toward DogNZB, but I like to have alternative indexes anyways. In case of site downtime mostly.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

MeKeV posted:

I've just noticed my Sickbeard seems to have trouble adding the sort of TV shows that you might want to watch every day. I'm guessing this is down to the massive list of episodes it needs to add to the database. Is this a known issue?

I have one of those on my SB list, it takes hours to add since this one has hundreds of episodes. Eventually it should be good, if you ever do a full refresh you just gotta sit tight. I have to set the one I watch with a custom quality, since the only copies that get regularly get uploaded are 720p rips, but divx encodes.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

They (NZBMatrix) have been been a good value for me. They also seem to index a lot of stuff a lot of the newsnab clones don't. It's my go to site after nzbs.org.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Tapedump posted:

do you guys choose Air By Date or not in Sickbeard?

I routinely find that a few days worth of these shows will not get found by SB, even though they are listed in indexers like NZB.su and NZBMatrix?

I have Preferred Quality set to HD, but it should grab SD releases in the absence of HD ones, right?

Air by date for sure. You'll need to add SD releases as well if you want them in a timely manner. Those shows tend to not get regular HD releases. At least that has been my experience.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Why don't you just use Lastpass or something and have just one password to remember?

You can't use lasspass for Windows AD Logins. If you lose your two-factor (Google Auth and Yubikey here), you can get around it by using your gmail\email. If you have the same two-factor on your gmail, you can still get around it via a phone call or a one time use password. (You have those safe somewhere right?) Three is not that odd.

I love lastpass, I have around 140 sites saved in it. Mostly piddly poo poo that doesn't matter and I use once year or less, but I don't have to reset them or have any others compromised if one goes down.

On topic:
I totally forgot I got a VIP account at DOGnzb way back in April. It's been set up as another SB provider since then. I have it set up as SB Index -> DOGnzb -> NZBMatrix.

Last month I had 48 snatched. 7 from NZBMatrix, 7 from DOGnzb and the rest from the SB Index. So it gets some use. I like having a variety of providers set up, so if there is a system outage or one goes down for good I'm not stuck.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can anyone explain to me what all these terms mean that come up when I search for nzbs? Things like proper, repack, nuked, etc. I'm assuming repack means exactly what it means (i.e., the previous version uploaded was incomplete) but the other stuff?

A nuked release would be one that was uploaded, but is not good for some reason. Bad audio sync in a video file for example, or perhaps it wasn't encoded to scene standards.

A proper would then come afterward with corrections.

Repack usually refers to a re-encoded file. So you might see Repack or Proper for a fixed file.

Most of the other stuff will have to do with the format the file is in.

E: Dang, shoulda hit refresh one last time.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Feenix posted:

Slightly unrelated to Usenet, but this feels like the right crowd...

Anyone stream videos from an external drive (connected to your computer though) to your PS3 or something similar?

I feel like the videos being on an external is the reason my videos will just pause/stop at random points. Like maybe the External HDD is going to sleep or something.

Anyone have similar situations or experiences?

(I'm using PS3 Media Server on my Mac, if it matters...)

Is it having to transcode stuff? It might not be keeping up. I've had the bulk of my media on an external USB 2TB drive for the last... almost 3 years now I suppose. Sometime a bit slow to spin up and start playing, but always smooth after that. It's a shared drive and I can watch 1080p stuff over the network off it just fine as well.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I'm attempting to move my TV folder onto my shiny new Synology NAS but SABnzbd is having some issues. (note: SAB is not running on the Synology) I got the SB options and folders pointed to the new location, but when it attempts to post process the file I get the following error in SABnzbd.

code:
Failed moving /home/user/Downloads/incomplete/tv.show/tv.show.rar to /mnt/warehouse/Theatre/TV/_UNPACK_TV Show/tv.show.rar
The incomplete folder is local to the SAB install, and it's attempting to move it onto the NAS afterward.

All the permissions are 777, I can make folders from the account it's using on the network drive. It's making a _failed_ folder where it's complaining.

Happening with stuff SB postprocesses and ordinary files. It's making _failed_ folders, so it seems it can write to the drive. I'm just not sure what else to check.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

pixaal posted:

Did you set the share permissions correctly? You said network drive so check your NTFS and/or samba permissions. If you are using Linux on the shared computer too /etc/samba/smb.conf should be where the share permissions are stored make sure [share] has
write = yes

and if you are sure its secure for shits and giggles
guest = yes

If you are using full NTFS permissions full control should probably also be set.

The network folder is on a Synology, so it doesn't really have much in the way of config files. I've turned on every permission I can find. When I do ls -l on every folder in the path from the SAB pc (which is running Ubuntu) I get the full drwxrwxrwx permissions. From the console on the Ubuntu pc running SAB, as the user SAB runs under, I can do any file move/copy/create into those same folders.

Edit:
It's definitely a permission error. Went through the logs:
code:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:

I have no idea what permission it doesn't have. Everything I check shows it has full control.

Edit Two:

Still have no idea what's up with the SMB sharing, but it looks like I got it working with an NFS mount instead. So I guess I'll leave it like that.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 7, 2012

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Loucks posted:

Who knows? At least Chase's fraud protection algorithm is pretty good, it just sucks waiting for the new cards to show up.

Get another card, keep it activated but don't use it. When you have to cancel your other cards (I do this every 6-8 months or so to get the number out of the system) you can use the spare while the new one comes in. Then you make one of the new ones the next spare.

Only time I've had my card stolen was when Newzbin's card processor got hacked. This was like 3+ years ago, before they shut down.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

So how does SABnzbds quota system work? It has never really been accurate for me.

For instance, this month I've pulled 47GB according to SAB, but it says I've only used 25GB of my quota. I think I have it set to reset on the 20th, which is when my ISP resets the count, but it has never matched up. I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong.

I have it set as 19 23:59 to get the time in there, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

What settings do you use for nzb.su in SickBeard? I have VIP and every combination of url gives errors when it tries to connect. I do have the correct API key in the info.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Welp. Cox just doubled my internet speed for the same price to 50Mbps. :stare: I was wondering for a moment why SABnzbd was broken and showing downloads at 6.2 MBps.

Used 5 connections with Supernews, seems to work quite well. So you really don't need a million connections.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

visuvius posted:

Which plan were you on? I'm in Southern California and havnt noticed any increase.

Premier. I'm in the Phoenix area, it shows as 50 Mbps on the Arizona Cox page, but 25 still on the California page. Maybe it's a slow rollout or just a regional change? Ultimate advertises as 150 Mbps now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Stiggs posted:

If you try changing to [url]https://[/url] and are still having the same problem, open up your config.ini and make sure that it's actually saving your change. I was having this same issue and changing to [url]https://[/url] from within sickbeard itself did nothing, but manually editing the config file worked. :)

nzb.su doesn't work for me at all through the API, not in SickBeard or in NZB 360. I have VIP, it just seems to be broken for me entirely.

Speaking of, NZB 360 is pretty great. None of my stuff is open to outside the network at the moment, but I think I'll have to work on that, because this is pretty cool. I'll also need to get CouchPotato and Headphones installed. Get stuff downloadin' on the go from my phone? We're in the future dammit.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

I just got the android app NZB 360 working for three indexers and SAB, SB, and CouchPotato. This is really slick. It's not free, but it's really well polished and the dev seems pretty active.

I installed the VPN Server that Synology offers for my NAS, and had my phone connected with it's native VPN client in about 5 minutes. Didn't even have to open all of the services to the outside world. :dance:

I'm really impressed with how much crap I've managed to cram into this little dual core Atom powered Ion box. Sab, SickBeard, CouchPotato, SubSonic, and the XBMC frontend for my TV.

kiresays posted:

So I've been downloading some ** and some of the files have passwords on them. Inside the "failed" download folder there is a readme giving a web address to download the password...OR you can donate $0.80 to a random paypal account and supposedly they will email it.

Anyone know if this is legit or not?

Yeah, don't do that. There'll be another post uploaded.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Raffles posted:

Good work. Everyone get to using this and the thread will be better for it.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name but what was the program, similar to headphones and lazylibrarian but for comic books? Is it still supported/developed for?

Mylar? Can't say it's current status though. I've never used it.