Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just reupped my nzbgeek sub last month but thankfully I used a 1password/Privacy.com virtual card for the first time. Now I can just cancel it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

I need to investigate that, super neat service that I get with that subscription but haven’t actually used.

It’s pretty good, you can set a monthly or yearly limit too for recurring payments.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Any free indexers you suggest?
Most of the indexers are free but just have low API or download limits, stuff like 100 API hits and 10 downloads. Perfect if you're manually downloading stuff or just getting started with the automation side. Most will have some sort of "VIP" you can pay for that unlock higher limits.

Geek seems to be open for registrations right now and I may have a slug invite

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Cool. I might add NzbGeeks if they get payments other than crypto sorted out.

It’s probably worth it to dump $50 into a Coinbase account for crypto payments, the number of indexers accepting PayPal or CC payments if probably going to shrink if anything.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

What's... what's wrong with using PayPal :ohdear: (aside from the Elon Musk association)? I'll usually use that when it's an option over entering CC info directly. At a minimum I should probably set up an account with that site that lets you create virtual CCs so you can set lifetimes and spending limits for each individual site you use...

As stated previously some people may feel uneasy about using a payment method that has details about your name and address on what is basically a piracy machine website.

As for the second part, I used a privacy.com virtual credit card to buy VIP on nzbgeek about a month before they disclosed that they were hacked and holy hell I dodged a bullet with that one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Fair enough. Everything I do is through SSL or VPN so I'm not too worried about Uncle Sam cracking down on my totally safe and legal Linux ISOs :patriot: Still need to sit down some time and work up a privacy.com account, at least then only one random website has my CC info rather than a dozen.

I’m not talking about anyone sniffing the traffic, I’m talking about handing over payment details to PirateWebsite.net which either gets hacked or gets seized by the US Government who now has your payment details as well. Your VPN doesn’t mean anything if you can tie a website username to a PayPal address with a simple subpoena.

Now, that being said, I don’t know of any Usenet sites ever being taken down by governments or any type of action against users instead of owners, but it’s still a non-zero risk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

alexandriao posted:

So I just tried to pay for Drunken Slug. They asked for 10 EUR so I switched coinbase to EUR and sent it along. And it turns out I am 0.00000013 BTC too short because of price fluctuations

So do I just loving, lose this money now? or what. I can't find anything about if Mycelium Gear refunds it.

Yet another reason to hate bitcoin, I guess.

EDIT: Got in touch with the DS peep, he fixed it

Thanks!!!

Yeah, always just add a couple bucks to whatever payment your sending. If you need to pay $10 then add $12 to your Coinbase account because Bitcoin is a loving disaster.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I pull a ton from drunkenslug, it’s pretty good

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

drat, great idea.

On another topic, I’m surprised there are basically no podcasts I’ve seen listed on any indexers.

For paywalled stuff there’s just pirate RSS feeds that plug right into your podcast app. Downloading them is kinda redundant

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Armauk posted:

There's another website that actively watches harddrive prices like this. For the life of me, I can't remember the name.

https://diskprices.com

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just switched to Eweka as well. Newsdemon wasn’t grabbing single thing over a week old anymore.

There’s some discount codes floating around that make it ~$40/year USD

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Did you get any new networking equipment? I’m guessing the ISP gave you a new modem at least.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Newsdemon completely went to poo poo for me a few months ago and wasn't completing anything older than a week. Started to burn through my backup block accounts.

I switched to Eweka and it seems to have resolved all my issues.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Drunkenslug and nzbgeek are also doing deals

DS is 18 instead of 12 months on VIP
Nzbgeek has 5 year for $30 and lifetime for $60 and discounts on smaller plans

Those two have really become my go to for the past few years. I believe DS opened registrations today too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

omgwtfnzbs doesn't get mentioned a lot but according to nzbhydra I'm pulling down twice as much from there as DS or geek

they rarely open registrations and don't seem to have much of an invite system though so I'm not sure how I got it in the first place

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Any indexers known for learning materials and books?

I don't think there's really any that specialize in stuff like that since releases are so sparse

There are internet websites that make reading about that stuff easy however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just got an alert on my iPhone that the password I used on nzbgeek.info has appeared in a data leak. I don’t know if this means specifically that nzbgeek had a leak or just that this particular password (unique to my accounts, but not particularly long so undoubtedly someone out there had it for something) has turned up in a list, but just a heads up in case it’s the former.

It’s the later. That password showed up on a list of leaked passwords somewhere.