Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«89 »
Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

2 hours waiting for a message trace in 0365, criteria was 1 recipient 1 day earlier this month. This is almost as frustrating as waiting for mysterious un-configurable SharePoint online services to run once every 24 hours to see if a change you made upstream fixed a problem...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

it is, if you’re unlucky you get to wait even longer. I did a few extended message traces a couple months back when they broke OME message routing, an MS engineer was working with us while those traces ran, they clearly took ages. He really didn’t like waiting 5-10 hours, swearing up and down it used to be much less. I don’t remember such a time but he said he’d take it up with the product group or whatever they’re called now because potentially waiting an entire workday is insane. So yea this is still what is,

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at Dec 20, 2017 around 23:39

ChromaticLlama
Sep 2, 2011

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with an issue a client of ours ran into the other day.

My client has an Exchange 2013 environment with about 60 mailboxes. The other day they managed to incorrectly implement a retention policy against all mailboxes which removed ALL mail prior to 9/1/17. I've spent about 4 hours troubleshooting this and I've removed the bad retention policy. I"m now trying to figure out if the old emails can be restored to each mailbox. I've found that the New-MailboxSearch command is able to see the older emails which is the good news.

My problem is that I don't know how best to scale this "fix". The New-MailboxSearch command requires you to copy everything over from the target inbox over to another inbox, you cannot specify the same inbox to restore to. This means I have to copy everything over to a temp mailbox and again back to the user mailbox. Additionally, it appears that the maximum concurrent searches is capped at 2 and there's no way to queue that up. Furthermore, this approach still requires users to drag all of the emails out of a recovery folder in their inbox and move them to whatever folder structure they had set up previously after the search and copy operation finishes.

Is there any easier way to go about this?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Are the messages not recoverable from Outlook? You could have the customers recover their own data if they want it or an admin can be given full mailbox access and recover for them. It'll take several hours but it will likely be faster than trying a programmatic approach with just 60 mailboxes.

If you're intent on some scripted solution you could do it through the ews api using a service account with full access to the mailboxes. Unless you're familiar with the api though it'll likely take a couple days to develop and test.

ChromaticLlama
Sep 2, 2011

Will Styles posted:

Are the messages not recoverable from Outlook? You could have the customers recover their own data if they want it or an admin can be given full mailbox access and recover for them. It'll take several hours but it will likely be faster than trying a programmatic approach with just 60 mailboxes.

If you're intent on some scripted solution you could do it through the ews api using a service account with full access to the mailboxes. Unless you're familiar with the api though it'll likely take a couple days to develop and test.

It appears that these messages have some sort of hidden attribute applied to them. Even their main administrator who has full inbox permissions cannot see the missing emails in his local inbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChromaticLlama
Sep 2, 2011

I spoke to a exchange guru and got some sagely advice to help me with my problem.

In case anyone else is curious, the answer I got was to do a point in time restore to a temporary recovery database and then use PowerShell to copy from the recovery database into the current exchange database. The way I was doing it technically works, but it's time consuming and it won't retain the proper folder information for each email (everything would have to go under inbox).

«89 »