Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Dynamic distribution list question: we have a user who just transferred departments, but is still getting the DDL emails for her old department. She's definitely not in that OU anymore, and the recipientfilter/recipientcontainer are just the standard ones:

code:
RecipientContainer                 : domain.local/blah/old OU
RecipientFilter                    : ((Alias -ne $null) -and (-not(Name -like 'SystemMailbox{*')) -and (-not(Name -like 'CAS_{*')))
DDLs are supposed to check their members when delivering a message, so there's no membership list or anything to update. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

Dumb question, but any replications issues on the DC/GC that the exchange server is looking at?

e: check the AD powershell console and run a 'get-aduser -server [servername] "username"' against the DC that exchange is making it's queries to and see if it comes up with the correct OU.

Not a dumb question at all. No replication errors as far as dcdiag knows.

After installing hotfix 969166 on my 2008 RTM SP2 server so that I could actually install ADWS so I could query the exchange org's OriginatingServer via get-aduser, I can say that yes it sees the right OU for her user object.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
1) Checking the DDL's recipients via the EMC shows exactly what I expect, but I do get some strange stuff when trying to check it via the PS method.

code:
[PS] >get-recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $CSDDL.RecipientFilter
WARNING: Object domain.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Offline Address Book - First Administrative Group has been corrupted and it is in an
 inconsistent state. The following validation errors have occurred:
WARNING: "Offline Address Book - First Administrative Group" is not valid for Alias. Valid values are: Strings formed with characters from a to z
(uppercase or lowercase), digits from 0 to 9, !, #, $, %, &, ', *, +, -, /, =, ?, ^, _, `, {, |, } or ~. One or more periods may be embedded in an
alias, but each one of them should be preceded and followed by at least one of the other characters. Unicode characters from U+00A1 to U+00FF are
also valid in an alias, but they will be mapped to a best-fit US-ASCII string in the email address which is generated from such an alias.
WARNING: Object domain.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/Schedule+ Free Busy Information - First Administrative Group has been corrupted and
it is in an inconsistent state. The following validation errors have occurred:
WARNING: "Schedule+ Free Busy Information - First Administrative Group" is not valid for Alias. Valid values are: Strings formed with characters from
 a to z (uppercase or lowercase), digits from 0 to 9, !, #, $, %, &, ', *, +, -, /, =, ?, ^, _, `, {, |, } or ~. One or more periods may be embedded
in an alias, but each one of them should be preceded and followed by at least one of the other characters. Unicode characters from U+00A1 to U+00FF
are also valid in an alias, but they will be mapped to a best-fit US-ASCII string in the email address which is generated from such an alias.

Name                                                                       RecipientType
----                                                                       -------------
<every recipient in the org listed here, though they certainly don't receive emails sent to this DDL>
2) An email sent via OWA seemed to work fine - didn't hit the employee who shouldn't be in the DDL. Sent another one via Outlook and that worked as well. Either previewing the recipients in the EMC fixed it, or the OWA test message did, I would wager.

Not sure if the inconsistent OABs are related at all, just looks like bad aliases for some stuff which has probably been the case since forever when we migrated from Exchange2000 -> 2007.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 11, 2011

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks, that doesn't quite work but I think it's the right track.

code:
WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of '\' have been modified.
I think the issue is internal whitespace and non-standard characters, and .Trim() just truncates trailing whitespace.

To what extent does Exchange 2007 even use PF distribution for stuff like OABs and Free/busy info? Is this just some junky relic of our Exchange2000 org that I'd be better off getting rid of than trying to clean up?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Are these actual messages or OOO replies that are getting rejected?

edit: nevermind, I see you got it with a test message.

I'm not sure what SMTPdiag does - can you walk through the smtp dialog in telnet and see if there's any more information given there?

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 20, 2011

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, and make sure your boss does not save an Exchange backup to your log drive. :v:

Make sure your coworkers (in a foreign office) don't install WSUS on your Exchange server, sync every product Microsoft has ever made, and store the updates on your Exchange log drive! :psyduck:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Tried toggling Cached Exchange Mode?

edit: what kind of email accounts are they using? Standard outlook/MAPI/exchange or like, POP3?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Why do you need to recover it? Just delete it and let it re-build from the server?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Yes, that's the exact one.

Looking for a way around it, that doesnt involve Exchange 2010.

Can you give an example of one of the URLs that OWA2007 is blocking?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

MrDoDo posted:

I am curious about what peoples opinions are on backing up exchange 2010. Do you just using Windows Server Backup, a third party software solution, or can you simply just do a VSS copy of the data directory?

You can use Windows Server Backup, but a third-party Exchange-aware VSS backup app is probably what most people are going to be using. We're using DPM here (though just on Exchange2007) and it works fine. It also has the benefit of being able to backup passive mailbox databases.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

As long as you have a copy of the database you can mount it as a recovery database and get whatever you want out of it.

Ugh. That's what email vaults are for.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Speaking of email vaults... Since we have one, and it only goes back as far as our email retention policy dictates, we're looking at implementing a managed folder mailbox policy (entire mailbox) that deletes email older than 18 months. Has anyone flipped something like this on before and just let it chew away at mailboxes before? I have no idea what kind of performance hit to expect as it starts deleting all this email.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
We use GFI MailArchiver - it's not bad. It'll definitely be an assload cheaper than Enterprise Vault, and as an extra bonus it's not a Symantec product!

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, we definitely just bought it a big gently caress-off disk array and a bunch of RAM and performance has been fine.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah we're definitely not a large deployment (250 users), but I haven't had any of the issues you've had with MailArchiver. The UI could certainly use some updating (a slide-bar for page selection? really?) but their tech support's always been better than I expected for a cheap product, and I haven't yet hit any really terrible bugs like services locking up or anything.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Won't disabling his AD account pretty much shut him down?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

Set a scheduled task to run a Remove-DistributionGroupMember ps1 script :(

Be sure to set the powershell execution policy to something appropriate prior to doing this, and to add the -confirm switch since you won't be at the console to answer "yes".

I love how for remove-distributiongroupmember the -confirm switch means "don't prompt for confirmation," but for set-mailbox it means "always prompt for confirmation."

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
More an Outlook question than Exchange, but probably still the right thread.

Exchange 2007, Outlook 2010.

Anyone seen this strange error when receiving mail sent from mail.app in OS X 10.7?

I have this folder sorted by flag status. If I flag the "Test message 1" for follow-up today and then clear the flag, it'll fall in with the other messages in the folder.

I'm not sure what's going on. It's only a problem in Outlook - OWA correctly shows all messages as unflagged and in the same group when sorted by flag due date.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Billy the Mountain posted:

Probably a stupid question, but can we upgrade exchange 2003 to exchange 2008 but stay with server 2003?

Let's start with whether you meant Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010.

Exchange 2010 is only supported on Server 2008 x64, afaik.

Exchange 2007 isn't supported on Server 2008 at all unless you're on SP1.

edit: links
2007: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232170(EXCHG.80).aspx
2010: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 29, 2011

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
The big benefit to creating different information stores is being able to do things like
  • define different things (e.g. a journaling policy) for different stores
  • set different backup schedules
  • put the stores for customers you hate on slower storage
  • etc etc

If it's likely you'll treat every company exactly the same, you could get away with putting them all in the same store.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

babies havin rabies posted:

Does Exchange, or AD for that matter, have certain reserved strings that cannot be used for objects? We want a distribution group named 'Service', but AD will not let me create it, and says the cn already exists in our Users group, although I do not see it listed.

Yep. Looks like an older article and it doesn't specifically say that group names are subject to the same restrictions (just computers, domains, sites and OUs) but I'd imagine that's what you're hitting.

edit: table at bottom

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Pretty sure he's talking about how (at least some versions of) Exchange don't create a mailbox until it receives some mail. I know 2000 used to do this, haven't noticed it being the case in 2007 anymore though.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I think it defaults to the Sent Items folder of the mailbox you're in when you hit 'New Message' - is that the difference?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone else run across this issue? Happens for me (Outlook 2010) with any coworker using Mail.app (Snow Leopard or Lion for sure).

Reader's Digest version: emails sent with {Mail.app} and {Any Other Email Client} both show up as 'unflagged', but if I sort that folder by flagged status it'll create two unflagged groupings - one for emails sent with Mail.app, one for emails sent with any other email client. If I take an email sent with Mail.app, flag it for followup, and then clear the flag, it'll drop down into the grouping of emails sent with other clients.

Damnedest thing.

edit: added that this happens for me in Outlook 2010. OWA seems to group the messages all together as expected.

Mierdaan fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 3, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

EoRaptor posted:

This is going to gently caress over a poo poo ton of stuff with AD, and SBS2011 in particular. You are boned. If you can, give up and walk away, because nothing is ever going to work quite right unless AD and DNS are bound together in a windows domain.

He said external DNS - not internal. Having external DNS hosted elsewhere is pretty common/just fine?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Then click the Address Book dropdown menu?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Can you just can the backup MX record for now, and add it back in in the event that your primary is down?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
When she says "contacts" she probably means the contents of her nk2 file on her PC. Basically the auto-complete cache. :10bux: says she has no actual contacts.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
How are you sure she has actual Exchange contacts? I'm not trying to be stubborn, but this comes up all the damned time and the answer is almost always the same; the user is treating an nk2 file as a contact list, but that doesn't correspond to actual contacts in Exchange.

Number of times nk2 file issues have prevented contacts from appearing in OWA: literally infinite
Number of times some other issue has prevented contacts from appearing OWA: like 2

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
:argh: inspect esmtp :argh:

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

poo poo, there is some nice stuff in here.

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone know if the new console would allow you to hook into, say, Rackspace or another hosted solution?

Based on this I'm guessing yes?

Microsoft posted:

Exchange 2013 Preview provides a single unified management console that allows for ease of use and is optimized for management of on-premises, online, or hybrid deployments. The Exchange Administration Center (EAC) in Exchange 2013 Preview replaces the Exchange 2010 Exchange Management Console (EMC) and the Exchange Control Panel (ECP).

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Double-postin' because the Exchange 2013 Preview docs are worth reading.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone ever used the Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator? I'm trying to see what it recommends for a small Exchange 2010 MBX server setup - virtualized on ESXi 5.0, no MSCS since it's on iSCSI. 250 (50 Tier1, 200 Tier2) current users and accounting for 100% growth over the lifecycle, it's recommending (in the event of a single MBX server deployment) 18 databases with 28 mailboxes per database.

Are most people fragmenting their mailboxes into that many databases?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
147GB each, it looks like. Our average mailbox size right now is 1.3GB according to PowerShell...

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

Any way to accomplish this? I can't think of a transport rule that will catch these, and from what I can tell journaling can't be set up to capture outgoing external mails on a specific account only.

You can if you have Exchange 2010 Enterprise user CALs, actually.

Failing that, if you have spare mailbox databases to play around with, move the sending accounts to a different database and set up journaling on that one. We had to do the opposite for some of our automated email accounts - move them to their own database with no journaling configured.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

No Enterprise CAL available.

I just tested a separate database for the service account, and set that database to standard journaling, but it doesn't work. I'm thinking that the service account is using "send-as" permissions mucks up the whole deal - it looks like Exchange considers send-as emails as coming from the send-as account, not the actual originator.

Ah, yeah, I misread that part of your post. If you can have all the emails come from a generic non-journal'd account, maybe you can just set the reply-to as Bob's address?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Crosspostin':

Is anyone using (Compellent) Replay Manager with Exchange 2010?

We're moving from our old PE2950 Exchange2007 install to a virtualized Exchange2010 install, and I'm trying to figure out if we want to use RDMs to give us the option of using Replay Manager, or stick with VMFS VMDKs and our current (Microsoft DPM) backup methods.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

Are you configuring a DAG? If so, are you configuring CRCL?

DPM will play nicer if you are in a dag environment, storage oriented changes to a LUN on a single member of a DAG configuration will be messy without the right preparation.

No, we're not going with a DAG. ~250 users and a pretty decent tolerance for downtime means VMware HA is probably good enough for us, so the cost in money and complexity for DAGs didn't seem worth it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/exdeploy2010/default.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

Anyone else run across this issue? Happens for me (Outlook 2010) with any coworker using Mail.app (Snow Leopard or Lion for sure).

Reader's Digest version: emails sent with {Mail.app} and {Any Other Email Client} both show up as 'unflagged', but if I sort that folder by flagged status it'll create two unflagged groupings - one for emails sent with Mail.app, one for emails sent with any other email client. If I take an email sent with Mail.app, flag it for followup, and then clear the flag, it'll drop down into the grouping of emails sent with other clients.

Damnedest thing.

edit: added that this happens for me in Outlook 2010. OWA seems to group the messages all together as expected.

Quoting myself to see if anyone else has seen this since I posted it back in April or whatever.