Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We used to have a couple dozen calendars in public folders, and we moved most of them to Sharepoint. It's much easier to deal with to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

marketingman posted:

Looking for anybody with 6 or more digit Exchange implementations, how doable is it?

As in 100K+ users? It's not difficult but has to be designed from the ground up properly. Poorly designed exchange environments are usually the issue with big deployments. Hell Microsoft hosts millions of mailboxes in the cloud.

edit: I would suggest hiring a company that does this kind of rollout on a regular basis. Make sure to check their references. If your deploying 100K users on Exchange, you should have no issue getting consulting and PS money. Make sure the consulting company gets you a dedicated project manager, and their engineers do a proper knowledge transfer to your staff. The good news is 2010 is way easier to deploy

edit2: hurf durf, 6 digit is 100K

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 6, 2011

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Drumstick posted:

This might be a dumb question.
In exchange I have a distribution list that will only show in all groups and not in the global addresses. How can I get it to show in global addresses?

What kind of group is it? Is the 'Hide from Exchange address lists' box checked on the Exchange Advanced tab?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you're running a 2007 backend read through here, it might help. I have no experience with 2007 as we outsourced instead of upgraded. The part about having to create the DG with EMS and not in AD might be useful.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/622b6b71-213d-4e58-950b-f65ee46552d2/

If not there's a suggestion to check the group properties with ADSIedit. Someone with more experience with this issue will probably be along soon.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

JBark posted:

Note that with Office365, all of these little annoying issues with moving to Hosted Exchange are supposedly gone. I'm going to be moving my company to 365 in the next month or so, and I should get 100% complete co-existence, as long as I set up my internal EX2010 server like their doco says. The hosted server just shows up as a regular 2010 onsite server, can even configure it will the regular 2010 management tools. Free/Busy and all that other stuff syncs between the servers just fine.

Will be interesting, but I did already confirm that AD syncs perfectly (including passwords) and single signon works without a problem.

So realistically, I'm sure it will fail horribly and I'll be fired shortly. :)

I must say I'm looking forward to migrating from BPOS to Office365. All the BPOS negatives are negated with 365.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Drumstick posted:

I have a user that is missing the junk email folder in Outlook, but it is there in OWA. How can I fix this?

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

if that doesn't work try

outlook.exe /resetfolders

Bookmark this site for a nice list of outlook.exe switches, they come in handy sometimes.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/commandlineswitches.htm

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gyshall posted:

Like I said, I work for idiots who refuse to change this workflow at all. Not my call. I'm open to suggestions of how to do this or similar software that I can use to do this as well.

Booze, lots of booze. Hell even a mail enabled sharepoint list would be better than a single shared mailbox. Jesus Christ.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Corvettefisher posted:

So what's the consisus of Exchange in office 365? I am thinking of moving my company into it for the feature set and price that it provides it is pretty good. the current exchange server we have is 2007 on a 12GB partion with 1gb free I am going to have to rebuild in the next month or so.

We just migrated from BPOS to O365 and we're not happy at all. Not one loving bit. If you're not in one of their ideal deployment scenarios no one knows poo poo.

I will say we should take a fair bit of blame since we didn't bring in outside help like we did from on prem to BPOS, but as of right now in our particular circumstances we're not happy.

I've had negative support experiences as well. I opened a god damned PREMIER case and didn't get my issue resolved in a timely fashion. I should have been up our TAM's rear end about it, but I didn't think it was going to be that bad. I was able to fix it when we turned our dirsync back on.

I was a big fan of BPOS, but right now for what we're paying in our company I would rather scratch O365 and deploy on prem Exchange 2010.

But once again I will say we have a lot of blame in the scenario since we're not in an ideal deployment scenario. For 75 users all running Win7 and Office 2010 it should be pretty smooth. It's not a bad product if you do your homework, but we're having a terrible time with it right now. Also Powershell. You better know it. Most of our team doesn't, you can't do poo poo anymore without knowing powershell.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Serfer, you should be fine... the migration is a challenge though, surely there is some kind of tool you can use to make it easier on you. Maybe find an O365 partner to help? Chad Mosman @ MessageOps seems like a great resource.

SSO is going to need ADFS though....

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Office365 is great if you do it the Office365 way. If you're willing to cut MX records, move EVERYTHING Exchange based to O365, then it works great. Where O365 starts sucking is anything except an ideal MS scenario.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You'll be fine. As long as you do a full migration the Microsoft way you'll probably even like the service. I hate it, but it's not O365's fault, it's our hosed up deployment.

The migration should be pretty straightforward. I would get everyone on Office 2010 though. I've been through Exchange 2003 -> BPOS -> O365, so if you run into anything let me know.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sanchez posted:

Just keep in mind that 365 dies occasionally as well, this year it seems like it's been more often than our customers with internal servers.

365 is on my poo poo list this year. In the last 3 months we've had 2 days completely lost to all day outages, in addition to a bunch of other issues that have only affected a subset of users depending on what backend server their mailbox is on. I was reasonably happy with BPOS including it's limitations, but O365 is on the skippy poo poo list for a while longer.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LmaoTheKid posted:

Goddamn, I thought O365 was rock solid. All day outages?

Ohhh boy.

Not 'all day', but most of the business day. 8AM or so to 3 or 4 when mailflow starts being restored, then it takes a few more hours for the queue to clear. It takes them hours to even acknowledge there is an issue.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LmaoTheKid posted:

What in the gently caress?

Welcome to Office 365 :toot:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Briantist posted:

Any of you doing hosted exchange at appriver? Someone I know just moved a client to them recently, and the service is now down indefinitely. Appriver claims it was a bad update and their recommendation was to move to another hosted exchange provider. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo. I thought the occasional issue with Office365 was bad, but that's just loving insane.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

When we migrated it was some pretty basic powershell poo poo. Create user in O365, powershell script to migrate mailbox contents, create forwarding contact and set forwarder in local AD. We did it years ago when it was BPOS though. It looks like it's different now.

This should help http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff959224.aspx

Office365 isn't perfect, but it's way loving better than dealing with in house exchange IMO.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 1, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caged posted:

In my opinion that has to be one of the biggest selling points of hosted Exchange - some other poor bastard has to deal with the upgrades.

We went to BPOS/O365 4 years ago or so and let me say, I don't ever have to think about Exchange and it rocks. The only downside is my Exchange skills are dead, no loving clue about anything past 2003.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Stugazi posted:

Had to open a ticket for an Office 365 client. Well, more accurately I *tried* to open a ticket. The Office 365 ticket portal is down.

Microsoft is comically bad at times.

They probably wouldn't have fixed it anyway. We just open tickets and wait for the issue to resolve itself. Doesn't matter how much detail you try to give them either.

"Hey we've got quite a few users that are having major delays receiving email. They're on these servers...can you look into it?"

MS: "No known issues at this time"

6 hours later.. workday basically over "There was a stuck queue and it should be emptying over the next 12 hours, oops, our bad, no idea why our monitoring didn't catch it"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I bitch every once in a while, but overall we've been pretty happy with O365 to be honest. 3300 users on it, and once in a while something comes up, but it's not that bad.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think there is. Office 365's answer to IMAP and 20K messages in a single folder is to disable IMAP for those users. I haven't touched Exchange in like 7 years though, so what do I know?

scanlonman posted:

Looking to switch from intermedia, to exchange online(365). On paper, it looks like it's going to save us about $5k a year, with about 50 users coming over. To anyone using exchange online, how do you like it?

It's the least lovely option as far as hosted Exchange goes. It's really not so bad to be honest.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We just used MigrationWiz to move about 400 mailboxes from a company we acquired to Exchange Online and it went really smooth. Best 11 bucks per user ever.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

wintermuteCF posted:

Anyone have any experience with Evault (http://www.evault.com/) <-- note, this is not Symantec's Enterprise Vault
The client company we're supporting is going to replace their current Symantec NetBackup with this.

Yup. We're in the middle of a good sized Evault deployment right now. What do you want to know?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Good lawd. You should sell them on Office365 and then sit back and collect the commission.

My initial impressions of Evault are positive. Once you set it up, it requires no babysitting really and it does seem pretty reliable so far.

Setting up the backups is really straightforward. Install the agent on the machine, it registers with the console, and from there you setup your backup job. Creating a one off job shouldn't be a big deal. It's all console/GUI/browser driven depending on your setup, it's literally just click, click, next, next, job configured.

The way EVault works is it does an initial full backup as a 'seed' and then from there on only does incrementals/deltas as things change. Your backup windows should shrink considerably once the initial seed is done. Depending on what appliances they bought, and how much disk space they licensed is going to affect how much data stays local. The initial seed is usually done via QSM appliances they ship out, copy the massive initial seed data to, and then get shipped back to Evault and uploaded to their systems. After that the deltas get synced to the appliance, and then to the cloud.

So yeah, if it's setup properly, (I'm guessing Evault prof services are involved like our deployment) it should be a pretty nice setup.

The only negatives I have about evault right now are there is no NDMP backup solution right now which really sucks for us as we use the NAS capability on our filers a bit.

Most of their documentation is behind their support portal, let me see what I can dig up for you regarding Exchange.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's kind of high considering most of the migration is just babysitting some scripts.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm out of the Exchange loop as we outsourced to BPOS/O365 like 6 years ago, but as a Microsoft guy, this is generally where I would open a support ticket with MS and get their engineers involved. We get X amount of incidents a year because we have a fancy EA, TAM, and Premier support, but even at 250 or 400 or whatever they cost, it's worth it if the business impact is great.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nitr0 posted:

Only 4000 mailboxes left out of 20,000 to migrate on a 2007 -> 2013 install. Everything has been surprisingly smooth. Is that normal?

You just jinxed yourself.

The new OWA is actually quite nice. I don't even have Outlook installed on my laptop, just use webmail while I'm on it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What's the old saying? Technical solution for a behavioral problem? I suggest getting a Nerf baseball bat, and beating employees into compliance.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You have to run the numbers to see if O365 is worth it to your org or not.

Back when we were ~1100 people and we first went to BPOS Online, 3 years of hosted BPOS from Microsoft was less than the CapEx requirements to implement our own Exchange 2007 clusters. I think we were looking at 500K for that project.

We've grown and been acquired and now sit at around 3800 users on Office365, I could definitely do it in house for less than what we pay, but upper management still likes O365. Especially with Exchange 2013 not needing as insane hardware as previous versions

OpEx vs CapEx is easier to deal with on the budget
It's easier to bill per user to each dept
We've moved to E3 licenses so our Office licenses are rolled into a monthly cost per user. We no longer have to track Office licenses and make sure our EA is trued up.

While I don't think the actual Exchange portion is any easier or more difficult to manage in O365 than on premise, not having to deal with Spam, backups, all the other crap that comes with hosting your own email is nice. O365 having Lync, Sharepoint and OneDrive available is nice as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know they're renaming it to Skype for Business or something.

We got rid of WebEx when Lync 2013 came out, and use AT&T for voice conferences right now. I know the phone guy is looking at some new phone system that will integrate with Lync, we're on some older Avaya TDM stuff right now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Methanar posted:

PS C:\Users\administrator.PINSKE> Get-Recipient -resultsize unlimited -filter { city -eq "Winnipeg" }

Name RecipientType
---- -------------
Bob dole UserMailbox

Well then. It all seems to be working but I just can't send email through the group.

Okay I figured it out, it was being applied to a very (very) poorly named OU.

Thanks for the help.

I manage and deal with hundreds of DDL's in O365, the way I test them real time is to do the following

code:
$winnipeg = Get-DynamicDistributionGroup -Identity Winnipegdistributiongroup
The variable can be named whatever the important part is to get the identity info into the variable

Then use it to generate the recipient preview filter

code:
Get-Recipient -RecipientPreviewFilter $winnipeg.RecipientFilter
That'll get you a real time exact list of people that would get the email.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Calidus posted:

I guess this is best place to talk about Office 365 and Exchange online. I need to start doing some very basic device management. This is what I would like to accomplish:

• White list or use a cert to allow company cell phones/tablets connect to Office 365 using ActiveSync.
• White list or use a cert to company laptops both on and off site to connect to Office 365 with outlook, one drive, etc
• Allow on site workstations to use Outlook, possibly white list static IP of the office?
• Block personal cell phones and computers from accessing Office 365

Is this doable with Office 365, Office 365 AD sync and possibly Azure AD?

No, not with your conditions. Some of that is possible if you bring ADFS into the mix, some of it would require 3rd party software or additional features from Microsoft, specifically Intune for MDM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Also there's a BES here yay.

:shepicide: