Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

poo poo, my day job involves a lot of pro video and Fuji glass is still the gold standard for most ENG work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Finally hopped on the mirrorless train by way of ordering an X100F :toot:

I was initially holding out for an x-t2 but unexpectedly having to buy a new phone out of contract cut into my budget, and then when I did actual research on the X100F it seems to fit pretty well into what I wanted to do anyway as long as I pick up the teleconverter eventually, and having a leaf shutter on a tiny run and gun camera is going to be fun.

Speaking of - ignore for a moment the hilarity of having an actual speedlite on an X100. I have several manual Yongnuo flashes, but they all were made for Canon. Will they still fire off the fuji hotshoe pattern, or will I need to buy another flash for use on camera?

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 29, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The x-t2 also has a bevy of great video features over the 1 like 4k, clean 4k output over HDMI with flat-look for external records, and a half -hour record time with the vertical grip.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

In the few days I've been using my x100f I've found that the mount loop from my blackrapid is a nice finger hold for my giant bear hands, I basically have my left thumb flat against the side of the camera and my left index curled around the loop, with my right hand in the usual position. It almost makes up for said loop blocking the battery door from opening.

I can't wait for a grip for the x100f to arrive, though, the palm swell as is may as well not even be there for me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

mulls posted:

Where do you get these things?

Cross reference the fuji authorized dealer list against Google searches. I got mine from a brick and mortar shop in Washington that didn't want to pay for a full digital storefront, so they just have an eBay page instead.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah you basically want to double the frame rate for the proper shutter speed, otherwise stuff can look super jerky at higher shutter speeds. There's a cool video about it on YT .. I just cant remember what it is.

Basically the deal is that in actual motion picture cameras, instead of a curtain or leaf that opened for a specified time, the shutter was an offset disk with a pie slice cutout that rotated at an RPM equal to your frame rate, and the cutout amount, measured in degrees, was referred to a shutter angle. The most common shutter angle was 180 degrees, or a half moon, which meant that a film frame was exposed to light for about half the time it was in the gate, or in stills terms, had an effective shutter speed of half the frame rate. So if you were shooting at 24FPS at 180 degrees then you effectively had a shutter speed of 1/48, 30FPS was 1/60, etc.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Its absolutely disgusting how good the X100F is in low light, I shouldn't be able to shoot color at 10000 iso

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Xt2 has 4k with log output, which is extremely good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I feel like fujis seeming lack of presence makes sense when you remember they were the last of the major mirrorless brands to get rolling - Olympus launched MFT in 08, and I'm pretty sure Sony had the NEX cameras rolling in 09, but the x100 was in 2010 and was largely seen as little more than a curiosity, and the full X system launch with the X-pro1 wasn't until 2012. By that time the global camera market was getting gutted by smartphone cameras no longer sucking, so there was less of an audience overall.

Also, let's not forget that there's a neverending image problem in casual pro photography where everyone, shooter and client alike, is convinced you need a massive honking dslr to be taken seriously.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

People are so used to two decades of kids with Photoshop talking the saturation sliders all the way to the right that they've forgotten that velvia actually does look that crazily vivid.

I do enjoy that the film sim doesn't have the film stocks problem of making everyone look like they eat nothing but red meat.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

So as a relatively recent convert to the church of fuji, is there any likelihood of the X-T2 getting a price drop after the X-H1 releases, and if so by how much?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

8th-snype posted:

Fuji has been making high end video lenses since forever. Look at older ENG cameras, tons of them are sporting Fujinons.

Literally the only non-fuji ENG lens I've ever seen was an ancient canon 17x, and it was by far the worst lens I've ever used.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I'll gladly lose ibis in return for menus and interface that dont make me want to shove my hands in a garbage disposal

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The x-trans III sensor in the latest round of fuji cameras is frankly alarmingly good in low light, even color photos can look good at 5-figure ISOs out of my X100F.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

That Blackmagic 4k pocketcamera they announced last week looks pretty interesting and amazing value for money.

Yeah, as long as blackmagic doesn't gently caress up lol the pocket cinema 4k is poised to be a major blow against the dslr/mirrorless video submarket, as it prices out significantly better than other options and will have all the benefits of being actually purpose built for video instead of being video kludged into a stills format.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

whatever7 posted:

I would like to see DJI make a compact m43 module that can go on both gimbal and drones.

The zenmuse x5 series is this, and the x7 cameras are super-35, i believe.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

whatever7 posted:

I don't think you can mount the X5 on a bike handlebar or your shoulder. Its not there yet.

Im sure there's an osmo handle attachment that'll serve your needs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

eternity test posted:

I have, but they seem pretty rare in my area. The only model in my price range is the original x100 at around 300 euro and it seems a bit expensive for a 12 mp camera. I'm not planning on doing any large prints but it just seems a little dated I guess. Is there a big difference between the x100 and the xpro aside from megapickel count?

Iirc the original x100 has a regular bayer sensor while the x-pro1 has an x-trans sensor.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up an X100F, it's not like they're going to announce a replacement 6 weeks from now with the touchscreen and new UI from the XE-3, right? It seems like most of their models are on a 2-3 year refresh cycle.

I doubt they're going to replace the X100F until the next generation of x-trans sensor rolls out on the x-pro or x-t series, imo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

qirex posted:

Yeah I bought one today. I managed to not get any accessories but that will be a bit of a thing probably. Does the bundled lens cap fit with the lens hood adaptor?

So far it’s fun but drat there’s a lot to learn.

It does not, and the first-party adapter and hood don't come with one either, which is irritating.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Any news or rumors on the X-T3? I bought my X-T1 when the X-T2 came out. It's still a great camera but I feel its age sometimes.

I highly doubt the x-t3 is coming any time soon, the t2, t20 and h1 all came out extremely recently and I don't know what fuji could put in the x-t3 that could justify such a rapid release turnover.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

8th-snype posted:

Read the date on that article

I would think "toggleable bayer filter" would have been enough to tip off

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I take a lot of pictures by the bay and ocean plus it's pretty much always windy in SF, I'm worried about salt and sand and other stuff that a lens hood doesn't do anything about. I'm looking and there's clear filters if UV ones will cause issues.

Given that the x100 series isn't particularly strongly weather sealed, if you get in a situation where salt/sand/spray would gently caress with the lens, its gonna infiltrate all the parts and hatches a UV filter isn't touching.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Google Butt posted:

I just noticed Fuji has a new body, is it a noticeable up upgrade from the xt-2 for this use case?

The x-h1 is more video focused, if you're just doing stills I think the only major upgrade over the x-t2 is the IBIS.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

8th-snype posted:

Yeah, wedding photography really teaches you to learn to stop down a bit. Lots of wedding photogs do the "100% wide open on a full frame sensor" thing. Shallow DOF is a tool not a style, the world would be so much better if people just used f/4-f/8 more often.

Buying an x100f broke me of this habit real quick, since the leaf shutter means you literally can't walk around wide open like a jag off in daylight

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Molten Llama posted:

I really hope Canon knocks it out of the park whenever they jump into the mirrorless party for real

Hahahahahahahahahaha :negative:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Comparing lens price is kind of a myopic metric imo, Sony lenses aren't bad but I'll take Fuji glass any day of the week.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I still wonder sometimes why Olympus hasn't tried to revive the XA as a m4/3 competitor to the X100 and other high end P&S cameras, its one of their most famous designs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I've stuffed an X100F into the back pocket of my pants before, so it is doable, but I would not at all recommend it.

Warning: you will want to buy the lens hood. This is largely a waste of money, unless you absolutely need the filter threads. If you intend to buy the Tele- and wide- converters then it's doubly wasteful, as neither of them are compatible with it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Wengy posted:

Does the X100F not have significantly better IQ than the GR? It really should, shouldn’t it? There’s a nicely priced used X100F near me and I might actually pounce while I wait for Panasonic’s announcement / the death knell for MFT.

As far as I know the X100F beats the ricoh GR on basically every metric, especially user experience.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Animal posted:

The first native RF lenses look pretty dope too. I hope they don't go all Sony with the prices.

Nah man, it's canon. Expect the RF 50mm f/1.2 II in three years that's the exact same lens element design in a slightly different casing for 160% MSRP.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I've been thinking about selling my X100F and moving to an XT series, and while the change IS incremental, things like a half hour record time of cropless 4k without the booster or edge-to-edge PDAF make it just attractive enough that I'm considering saving up for the 3 instead of just buying a used 2.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kylaer posted:

But sticking with Fuji means spending more money on a system that isn't full frame and doesn't have IBIS, which seems behind the curve.

Neither of these things are as important as most people like to believe in 2018, tbh. Especially if you're planning to just stick to one midrange zoom, the benefits wouldn't really be felt.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

spog posted:

How does a rewind lever save on batteries?

Instead of using a motor for the shutter you manually cock it, I imagine.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Has anyone tried any of the 7artisans manual-focus lenses for Fuji? They're a Chinese 3rd-party lens maker and have stuff like 35mm f/1.2 for dirt cheap. Very tempting but I imagine you'd lose focus very easily.

I own the 35/1.2 for my X-T3 and its extremely good for a lens that costs less than $150. Sharpness is pretty decent once you stop down a bit, and even wide open its not unusably soft for casual shooting. The main things to know about it are:

-get the version that comes with a focus tab, because the focus ring is so small it gets awkward to use
-the aperture is declicked, so if you're not used to that it can be weird keeping track of your stops
-as far as I can tell it has basically no coatings to speak of, so it flares like a motherfucker.

Not a bad lens at all for the pocket change you're paying, but keep in mind that it knows exactly what it is and promises literally nothing beyond that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Lawson posted:

Stupid question, how can the body determine auto focus speed, when the motor doing the actual focusing is in the lens? I mean the calculation probably happens in the body, but wouldn't the mechanical movement always be the bottleneck?

The motor that focuses is in the lens, but the processing that recognizes and confirms focus is in the camera. A good example of this in action is how the Fuji X-T3 focuses markedly faster than the X-T2 even with the same lenses because it can confirm focus much more quickly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

$300 off the Fuji 80mm macro is gonna drive me insane if I don't buy it before the sale ends

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Insanite posted:

Just took the mirrorless plunge after selling my old Nikon DSLR. Grabbed a Fuji X-T20 and one of its kit lenses on eBay, and am hoping to have some fun with them by next week. Dog pics, street, neighborhood--typical, boring stuff.

Anyone have any tips or caveats for that model and make, or mirrorless in general? I've only ever shot SLRs and prosumer DSLRs.

This is a general mirrorless thing, but if you want to shoot adapted lenses (say if you have any nikon lenses you didn't sell) you have to change an internal setting to allow the camera to shoot without a confirmed lens.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, all fuji lenses are focus/aperture by wire, so I'd be curious about their functionality adapted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Can someone help me understand the relationship between shutter speed and frame rate in video? I'm using an X-T2. If I want a smooth 1080 24fps look, do I choose 23.98 and 1/30? 1/60? Auto? Or do I choose 24p? I'm in the US. Does that matter for video that's destined for streaming on YouTube or Vimeo?

To understand how shutter speed works in video you have to understand its history.

Early film cameras did not have a real "shutter speed." In the era of film cameras, the shutter was not a curtain or leaf mechanism, it was a spinning wheel with a pie slice cut out, which made one rotation for every frame of film, and the portion cut out was referred to as the shutter angle. For example, a wheel where 1/4 of the wheel was cut out would be a 90 degree shutter, a wheel with a half cut out was 180, 3/4 was 270, etc. This basically meant that your shutter speed was directly related to your frames per second.

Most professional video cameras have a shutter angle setting even if they don't have a physical shutter wheel mechanism, but for most mirrorless, the rule is simple: take the shutter angle you want, figure out what fraction of a circle it is, and multiply your frame rate by that to get your shutter speed. For example: a 90 degree shutter is 1/4 of the wheel, so at 30FPS, 30 x 4 is 1/120.

For you, the most common cinematic shutter angle is 180 degrees, so for smooth cinematic video, you want 23.94p, a shutter speed as close to 1/48 as you can set, and then control your exposure with whatever combination of aperture, ISO, and ND filters you want.

Also, a quick lesson on frame rates and where they're used:

23.94/24p: cinema frame rate.
25p/50i: PAL region television.
30p/60i: NTSC region television
60p: modern sports.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 4, 2019