Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Fairytale Stargate aliens would be pretty fun, not gonna lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

pixaal posted:

If we assume they are fur covered, Easter Bunny is more going to be their lore.

Same guy, believe it or not.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Same guy, believe it or not.

Man everyones working two jobs these days. :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's a shame they don't do more with the Nox (and furlings) isn't it
Laser focused on the Asgard

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Taear posted:

It's a shame they don't do more with the Nox (and furlings) isn't it
Laser focused on the Asgard

They even had a good chance after they wrapped up the system lords and went to Atlantis. SG1 could have spent a season setting up the wider galaxy through all the aliens they never really revisited. (Including the shape shifters from Spirits, late seasons writers could have made some jokes at the expense of that ep). Just a tour of "Hey we killed the system lords" oh great there's this Lucian Alliance guys. Oh also stay away from here religious group calling themselves the Ori stay the gently caress away do not let them know anyone lives here.

I guess the transition always just felt abrupt to me.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

8one6 posted:

If I were to reboot Stargate today I'd make it very clear that the various alien factions cooped the already existing religions instead of being the direct inspirations and I'd have the balance of goa'uld to asgard (or whatever they end up being called) more even across world religions.

In the opposite direction, it would be fun to go full Campbell. You could do a lot of dumb poo poo with that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pixaal posted:

They even had a good chance after they wrapped up the system lords and went to Atlantis. SG1 could have spent a season setting up the wider galaxy through all the aliens they never really revisited. (Including the shape shifters from Spirits, late seasons writers could have made some jokes at the expense of that ep). Just a tour of "Hey we killed the system lords" oh great there's this Lucian Alliance guys. Oh also stay away from here religious group calling themselves the Ori stay the gently caress away do not let them know anyone lives here.

I guess the transition always just felt abrupt to me.

Atlantis could even have pivoted to one of those groups being the big deal in Pegasus, and explain why they weren't so present in the Milky Way any more.

8one6 posted:

The Torment of Tantalus is a fantastic episode! The actor playing Ernest really does a great job when trying to talk Daniel out of staying.

Fire & Water is a great episode, Shanks is a good performer, and I like the alien design. It's too bad they never revisit the guy or do anything with it. This is another episode that probably wouldn't happen on a modern 10 episode season.

If I rebooted Stargate I'd keep it and tie it into the idea for a wider variety of aliens faking being a wider variety of myths and legends. Maybe make them the furlings.
Both of these were pretty heavily the producers realising Shanks was maybe the strongest actor of the core 4 and leaning into giving him showcases. But the B story in Fire & Water is also really solid, the other 3 mourning him in a way that gets echoed later on when it's much more plausible for one of them to be leaving/dying.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shanks is good but you can tell he gets up his own rear end in later seasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

I've heard rumors that he's a real arrogant prick in real life, or at least he was while he was riding high off of SG1.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

8one6 posted:

Fire & Water is a great episode, Shanks is a good performer, and I like the alien design. It's too bad they never revisit the guy or do anything with it. This is another episode that probably wouldn't happen on a modern 10 episode season.

If I rebooted Stargate I'd keep it and tie it into the idea for a wider variety of aliens faking being a wider variety of myths and legends. Maybe make them the furlings.

WHAT!!!! FATE!!!!! OMOROCA!!!!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Fairytale Stargate aliens would be pretty fun, not gonna lie.

This + Especially if they leaned into the mindbending and hosed up aspects of The Fae

Instead of picking from Arthurian Lore it would have been so cool if they'd picked from The Mabinogion. Which I say partly because I'm Welsh, and partly because literally nobody picks folklore from it* but it's big and rich and you can do a lot with it IMHO.

You could even have kept King Arthur, his older folklore from the Mabinogion.

* — You can see its concepts run through Arthurian legend and Shakespeare and so on, it's the originator for a lot of folklore but nobody ever refers to it directly anymore :negative:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

alexandriao posted:

WHAT!!!! FATE!!!!! OMOROCA!!!!

That episode's by the dude who'd go on to do a LOT of the heavy lifting on Farscape, and it shows.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

If there is no dual wielding archaeologist in a show I will not watch the show

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

nine-gear crow posted:

I've heard rumors that he's a real arrogant prick in real life, or at least he was while he was riding high off of SG1.

Wasn’t that the cause for his departure during Season 6? He left so he could do ‘better things’, then came back crawling for Season 7 when his great movie career didn’t pan out?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zaroff posted:

Wasn’t that the cause for his departure during Season 6? He left so he could do ‘better things’, then came back crawling for Season 7 when his great movie career didn’t pan out?

Yeah, I think the closest he got to doing movies was being the runner up for the role of Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis which he lost out to Tom Hardy. Ironically, he hit it big after SG-1 was over and done with completely with Saving Hope. Well, big for Canadian TV at least...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I think the closest he got to doing movies was being the runner up for the role of Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis which he lost out to Tom Hardy. Ironically, he hit it big after SG-1 was over and done with completely with Saving Hope. Well, big for Canadian TV at least...

I just googled Saving Hope and ready to be put off by the main pairing of Shanks with Erica Durance but there's only 8 years age difference between them!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zaroff posted:

But he's still in the show! That's what's so strange to me about it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My partner and I watched a Q and A thing with Michael Shanks over zoom for some virtual con thing pre-covid vaccines. It was pretty funny because the dude has a pretty average middle class looking house and Lexa Doig was wandering around in the background (kitchen) in her PJs. Their cat also made an appearance. He was very pleasant but also dry and sarcastic like back half SG1 Daniel Jackson. So it seemed to confirm that he was pretty much just playing himself at that point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

My partner and I watched a Q and A thing with Michael Shanks over zoom for some virtual con thing pre-covid vaccines. It was pretty funny because the dude has a pretty average middle class looking house and Lexa Doig was wandering around in the background (kitchen) in her PJs. Their cat also made an appearance. He was very pleasant but also dry and sarcastic like back half SG1 Daniel Jackson. So it seemed to confirm that he was pretty much just playing himself at that point.

It does feel that with the exception of Christoper Judge, everyone on SG-1 just kind of wound up playing themselves over time and they started writing the dialog more to the actors' personalities. O'Neill just became RDA and Carter was just Amanda Tapping but with a technobabble dialog.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

It does feel that with the exception of Christoper Judge, everyone on SG-1 just kind of wound up playing themselves over time and they started writing the dialog more to the actors' personalities. O'Neill just became RDA and Carter was just Amanda Tapping but with a technobabble dialog.

And it is glorious :colbert:

All due respect to Spader's Daniel, of course.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Rappaport posted:

And it is glorious :colbert:

All due respect to Spader's Daniel, of course.

Granted, some of this was my being a teen at the time but...did anyone else think Spader had reprised his role in the show for a bit? I think it was midway through the first season before I realized, I even distinctly recall telling someone he was the only returning movie actor (Except for Kowalsky and whoever, I forget, but I wasn't a fan at the time really).

Now in my late 30s and a big fan of Spader's work, and having seen all of SG1/SGA, I do not understand how I made the mistake.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No, though if you watch the movie again Shanks definitely is trying to replicate Spader's take on the character while RDA isn't really trying to do a Russell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Taear posted:

But he's still in the show! That's what's so strange to me about it

I think he specifically enjoyed playing Thor so he had agreed he'd come back to voice him in future episodes (probably figuring it wouldn't hurt any movie career and would be easy to knock out in the booth) and the one off guest appearance in the (first?) Ba'al episode was the typical thing when a star leaves a show like that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

No, though if you watch the movie again Shanks definitely is trying to replicate Spader's take on the character while RDA isn't really trying to do a Russell.

And to Shanks' credit, he nails the Spader-as-Jackson impersonation.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For some quality (or not) b-grade Shanks, check out the 2010 Canadian/Australian production Arctic Blast, which is basically a lower budget 6 years late ripoff of The Day After Tomorrow.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Singularity is a decent episode. It humanizes the main characters/Hammond/SGC and keeps driving the point that the goa'uld are loving monsters.

Cor-ai is a pretty good episode. It could probably have used another draft or two but I like that the show hasn't forgotten that Teal'c probably did some terrible poo poo in service to Apophis and regrets it.

Enigma.
The good: first appearance of Mayborne
The bad: first appearance of the Tollan

Solitudes is a good episode and I think it's one that would make the cut if SG1 were made today. Amanda Tapping really sells the frustration and desperation of their predicament, and Don S. Davis gets his credits scene in the parka.

Tin Man: Comtrya! This isn't an awful episode but it's one of my least favorite of the season.

So ignore the fact that the show writers hadn't created the idea yet because it's season one, if Harlan has been alone for over 11,000 years old then he's probably an Ancient and not a human, right? Or a copy of an Ancient anyway.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 13, 2024

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

They were human, they just found a way to transfer their consciousness to android bodies.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

They were human, they just found a way to transfer their consciousness to android bodies.

I'm saying that the beings that found a way to transfer their minds were Ancients and not humans brought to that planet by the goa'uld.

There But for the Grace of God is a great episode. A classic take on the mirror universe episode and an interesting way to raise the stakes for the season finale by showing (well, telling, clearly budgets were tight in the last quarter of the season) the Earth losing the invasion if it happens.

Politics is solid because it both acts as a bridge between the last episode and the finale and because it's a clip show that doesn't suck. A rare feat in those days.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 13, 2024

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

8one6 posted:

Politics is solid because it both acts as a bridge between the last episode and the finale and because it's a clip show that doesn't suck. A rare feat in those days.

I find Stargate clipshows relatively good on the whole - they make a solid effort to build the story outside of the SGC. They’re certainly not ‘Hey Teal’c, you remember the time when….’

Yes, the plots of the Season 6 and 7 clipshows are identical, and the less said about the season 2 one the better…

8one6
May 20, 2012

Within the Serpent's Grasp is obviously why they had two factory planets and a clip show in the last quarter of the season. It's a great season finale! They built a brand new set, gave the bad guys a new gun (one shot stuns, two shots kills), the writers immediately regret something (three shots disintegrate), they bring back Alexis Cruz who doesn't quite get to be as big a ham as the other goa'uld actors this time, but is still fun.

Season 1 of SG1 is easily one of the most consistently good first seasons of scifi in TV.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The end of season one is really great. The show has had some fun by now (comtraya!), it has had some serious times (Tantalus, Jack's trauma episode), and then Danny gets blasted into the mirror universe and :asoiaf: Then the two-parter season ender, with master Bra-tac and the grenade discussion, poo poo is real now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Serpent's Lair is a solid conclusion to the season one cliffhanger. The grenade joke is one of the best "gently caress that noise" responses in the series.

In The Line of Duty is a world building episode that I think could have probably been reworked. It's fine but it relies way to much on the air force/sgc making tons of stupid mistakes to get to the goa'uld sacrificing itself to prove the tok'Ra are good(ish).

8one6 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 14, 2024

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1523650/Stargate_Timekeepers/

This comes out next week. Looks to be Desperados/Shadow Tactics type deal more than Xcom.

There is also this, looks like a SGC builder

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1681060/Exogate_Initiative/

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

8one6 posted:

I'm saying that the beings that found a way to transfer their minds were Ancients and not humans brought to that planet by the goa'uld.

10k years ago there were advanced humans too I think
Although the actual line between a human and an ancient is blurry as gently caress until they decided on the ancient gene stuff

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Taear posted:

10k years ago there were advanced humans too I think
Although the actual line between a human and an ancient is blurry as gently caress until they decided on the ancient gene stuff

Still very blurry, especially with all the weirdness like how humans were apparently created by ancients on Earth in some Young Earth creationist manner that makes us look physically and genetically like we evolved here.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Still very blurry, especially with all the weirdness like how humans were apparently created by ancients on Earth in some Young Earth creationist manner that makes us look physically and genetically like we evolved here.

Yea Stargate does kinda suffer from not having a "show bible" that says "Okay this is how X and Y work"

8one6
May 20, 2012

Oops, we let mega-Hitler out of space jail.

It's a fine episode and could have been decent world building if they had done more with Linea beyond the single followup episode. It does continue the theme that more advanced cultures being dicks.

If Amazon/MGM made me the show runner for a theoretical reboot I'd keep the episode and make Linea either a thread through a season or two (stumbling into worlds where she went full mad scientist) or I'd have her be the primary antagonist of one of the later seasons.

The Gamekeeper is pure filler and Dwight Schultz is less fun now that I know he's a chud.

Need feels like it was written to answer the obvious question "Why don't they steal a sarcophagus and use it whenever anyone gets hurt/killed." Which is a fair question when it is basically a magic "character death doesn't matter" box. Turns out it also acts as space drugs that turn you into an rear end in a top hat.

Thor's Chariot
Motherfuckin Thor in the house! Solid episode. I love how the show runners decided to include Roswell Greys and make them the good guys. Again, I'd probably have spread them around in more mythologies instead of just the whitest gods but I don't think the show runners meant anything lovely about it.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 20, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It does make sense from an in-show perspective that what the goa'uld use, like the sarcophagus, makes people insane. The whole body horror with hosts.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Message in a Bottle is a neat episode. They should have broken out the space suits more often. They also should have followed up with the bacteria aliens at some point.

Family
Apophis is back... Somehow. And he's stolen Teal'c's son. And Teal'c's wife married his old friend and is a completely different actress.
It's a good episode for giving Christopher Judge a spotlight episode and for starting the trend of big name goa'uld being a real loving pain in the rear end to actually get rid of.

Secrets
Kind of a filler episode, kind of a foundational world building episode. We get Carter's dad and a learn he's dying (this will be important later), we get Daniel's wife and Apophis' son (this will be important later), we get the first leak about the Stargate (this will not be important later), and the Air Force kills a man to prevent the world from learning just how awesome the United States Air Force is (stupid decision. Let the people know. Watch air force recruitment skyrocket.)

Since I've watched the series before I know what pays off but watching this weekly back in the day it must have been a disappointing episode.

Bane
Good episode. The galaxy is full of weird poo poo and sometimes the SGC has to deal with it. Mayborne is back to rep the bad guy part of the government (the 95% that isn't the SGC), we get some body horror, and in the end everything works out.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Comtrya!